When you know all the rules and what to do and where to go the game is boring

desertedone

• 2 weeks later...

there is so much to do :) i hunt first all bears every 50 days, but then my birch saplings went to quick to zero so i skip the bear hunt and hunt then every moose all 134/200 days after i figured out the respawn time.

After this i collect coal and wood (dont ask how much) for Mystery Lake and now i do a 2000 days fish&fire challenge this means i let the fire burn at the moment. Got me allready a 312 days without a single sleep done :D and i am at day 500+.

so if you like the game there is so much to do you just need set you some own challenges.

The OP seems disappeared but to all those who wonder what to do to keep the game interesting after 200 days.....

Do a personal challenge.

30 to 50 days in every region.

Try living in the transition zones for 10 days.

Harvest every plant and make teas in every region. Decorate your camp with them.

Harvest every cattail.

Stock a base in every region with rifle, revolver, lantern, etc.

Nomad to each base every 20 days and shoot deer to dump meat at your door.

Map every location to get FC achievement and do it anyway if you already have it.

Get level 5 on everything. Not so easy but is rewarding. For level 5 revolver I get stinky with fish, crouch and wait for doggy to smell me and trot towards me while i  line his face up with my sights. Pull trigger and I have a level up and a pelt and guts. Leave the meat because all the other activities generate food.

Fish and cook them to fill all the jerry cans to 4L

Make deer boots, deer pants, rabbit gloves and hat, wolf coat, and stock them at your region bases. That will keep you busy and level up your shooting skills.

I could go on. Not too hard to get to 500 days or even past 1000 and still have an interesting run. My last run was 1200+ days and only ended because I walked off a cliff and died. Stupid Autowalk!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

I've put a ton of hours into the game and I wouldn't say it got boring, just predictable. But I guess that could be one definition of boring. Some actual randomness would be welcome. No, you're not going to find matches in the farm basement, they'll be in a random glove box instead or... they did not spawn at all! Random critter territory would keep it more interesting too. They're always at the same place.

One thing that would absolutely give the game a huge boost would be an active mod community fully endorsed by the devs.

On 10/19/2021 at 2:34 AM, stirfoo said:

One thing that would absolutely give the game a huge boost would be an active mod community fully endorsed by the devs.

I completely agree to that. For example the modding community in Dont Starve Together enabled Klei to built alot more functionality and features. Modding is a very creative and active feedback to the devs.

Thanks to EP4 I've continued my +600 days stalker run and my current challenge is to get all Polaroids of which I haven't collected a single one until recently, because they were added when I was taking a break from the game. This gives me new purpose despite the fact that I already have th FC achievement.

I never get bored with this game. I do experience a little "empty drawer fatigue" from time to time, and games that go past a few hundred days can hit a "plateau" - but pushing past always reveals new challenges. No matter how well stockpiled you are at any given point, eventually resources will diminish (and things like cloth and metal cannot be magically regenerated).

If anyone feels bored with their TLD run, the easiest way to cure that is to start a new run,  since no two runs are exactly the same.

On 10/23/2021 at 8:32 AM, FluffyComeHome said:

I never get bored with this game. I do experience a little "empty drawer fatigue" from time to time, and games that go past a few hundred days can hit a "plateau" - but pushing past always reveals new challenges. No matter how well stockpiled you are at any given point, eventually resources will diminish (and things like cloth and metal cannot be magically regenerated).

If anyone feels bored with their TLD run, the easiest way to cure that is to start a new run,  since no two runs are exactly the same.

Those are “magically” replaceable by beachcombing. Even on Interloper you can last indefinitely. The only way you can’t is if you lose all your mag lenses. 

Bugs can keep you occupied too. I'm still looking for the 2nd polaroid in AC for almost 80 ingame days now. I haven't found it yet but I've already hunted down two bears, have supplies all over the map and I know AC inside out now, I've even reached places where you shouldn't be able to go. As tiresome as it is, because after checking every known spawn location and every other place on the map several times I am becoming convinced that it's a bug, I still have fun. I routinely go from Miner's Folly to the Mine, down to Pillar's Footrest, to the plateau above Shattered cove and back to Miner's via High Medow or Homesteader's, pretty much in one go and all in the hopes that maybe I missed a spot. The nice thing about this route: not a single wolf, meaning I can bring enough bear meat to sustain me for the round trip and check the remaining area on the base of the valley with a full stomach and empty inventory ;)

No game provides entertainment forever. Once I learned the basics of this game I found it's very quick to get yourself set up and have nothing left to do but just live another day which isn't fun for me. Unless the survival game gets a significant update I am likely going to ignore it and just play through the story mode and call this one good. But that's okay because I purchased this game early to help fund the story mode which is really what I want. I am really looking forward to playing it once it's good to go. TLD has excellent atmosphere which I think works particularly well with story games.

I always laugh when I read some like this...

"It's gotten quite boring. I still love the game and everything, I love all the needs and upregulating them it's just not fun anymore."

In my best John Wayne voice...  "Sounds like you outta step up your game and get off Pilgrim mode, Pilgrim!"

• Like 1

If you're bored, try these custom settings. You'll be a lot of things, (mostly cursing like a sailor in a storm and sweating like a hooker in a church...), bored is not going to be one of them... In case you're wondering, it's doable, but it will test the most experienced guys too.

Took me 7 proper tries to get to day 50, and even now I'm down to 16%, albeit with 2 stims, bow and arrows, cooking 5 and satchel, so I guess I should be okay from now. I suggest starting in TWM, because that sets you up nicely for the decision to summit or forge first and thus results in different approaches. Don't start in HRV, cause that can make the run much easier - if you know what you're doing and don't die on day 1. (HRV has hammer, hacksaw, bedroll and good clothing in one region, not to mention the million cattails and other plants and a ton of coal.)

The Long Dark® on GeForce NOW 19_10_2021 23_04_17.png