What is your favourite base in the long dark?

TIMBERBEAR810

Mine overall is probably the farmhouse in PV because of the fact that there are lots of wildlife nearby (Deer, Bunnies, Wolves, and the Bear that sometimes comes through sometimes. Also the fact that there are lots of furniture to break down which solves the fuel problem. There is also the porch which is a great spot for hunting the bear, and just the fact that its big. 

What's yours?

• Like 1

Warm nd fuzzy for stinky?😂that fishing hut in ash canyon!

As for no jokes warm nd fuzzy, I guess I like trapper cabin in mystery lake. It even has glowing windows at night from wintermute. I guess they just kept the same textures. It feels so wonderful to come in, when you have a fire going. I really enjoyed coming back to that place in wintermute; there was constant fire going. Thank you, Jeremiah. 

Another one I really enjoy is outlook post in bleak inlet. When there is a blizzard late evening and you see it all through windows, while cooking up some timberwolf steak and reishi tea with princess on the pot belly stove.

Also that fishing village's most right hut in coastal highway is pleasant. I really enjoy the interior.

Mountaineers hut in TWM is also no doubt up there as far as enjoyment. My only gripe is the hole in the roof. I try not to look up. Very enjoyable to open the door and see a wolf in the distance straight ahead and a deer on the right by the fishing hut. It's very beautiful in the evening to see that mountain in front with butt end of the airplane hanging off the cliff.

Edit: the lighthouse at des99lation point is also very pleasant. Climbing ti the top in the evening and lighting a fire is out if this world peasant!

Edited by Stinky socks
  • Upvote 1

I'm still very fond of the hunting lodge in Broken Railroad, but as the map has gotten larger (addition of Ash Canyon), something more central makes sense... so likely it would be the Camp Office in Mystery Lake.  In reality, I don't tend to set up a global base.  In fact, as the map has gotten larger and my tendency has become to start new runs quicker (due to boredom), I'm tending to stay mostly in the single zone where I spawn, unless I'm playing where Baseline Resources are set to Low where I pretty much have to go through multiple zones in order to forge.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I'm trying to scatter smaller "bases" all around. It is better to have fast access to some items and i don't need to carry my home on the back everytime.
Beside that, i'm currently enjoying the "outdoors" shelters, as i can perceive the weather and wildlife around.

One of the most satisfying places to stay has been the Old Spence Homestead in Forlorn Muskeg (im loving that map these days). Minimal space, nice storages, animal-proof area, forge, workbench, etc.
For curing the pelts and guts i use the close cave near the broken radio tower. There is always a couple of dogs on the way, but in general it's just more pelts and guts to collect ^^

Definitely the Quonset garage in coastal highway, downside of wolves and the bear. It has quick access to multiple ice fishing huts, unlike most regions which you can only rely on snares, problem is, rabbit meat has super super low calorie count. Fish can vary, and it's usually very filling, in addition to the heavy supply of lamp oil from fish. Quonset garage is also in a region which you can beachcomb for supplies which can keep you alive forever, bullets, birch and maple saplings for bows and arrows, flare shells for the distress pistol, coal to forge, cloth and a cap for a never ending limit of clothes repair, metal for fishing tackle used to sew and fish, sticks, firewood, and more for the abundance of resources! Also speaking of coal and forges, Quonset garage is very close to desolation point for more beachcombing for more resources, AND the Riken's forge. Desolation point is very valuable. You also have deer near those ice fishing huts for even more food. Coastal highway isn't like ash canyon or pleasant valley with a blizzard every week, which is better for late game when you only have the magnifying glass for fire. there is also plenty of houses narby for loot to bring back to the Quonset garage to start you off for the game. Coastal highway is also not that far from Timberwolf Mountain or Ash Canyon for the insanely good loot of the summit and the gold mine. Coastal highway has quick access to Bleak Inlet for the cannery, if you ever need to make bullets there, you can just take 3 in game hours to get to the cannery and make yourself some bullets. Also that milling machine, it is INSANELY useful late game. Quick access to unlimited repairs and ammunition workbench, and to a forge. Lastly, Quonset garage is just a god tier base. it looks so cool during auroras with the big glowing "Quonset' sign on the outside, and the interior is perfect. there are lockers and cars to store your supplies, there is a bed, a fire barrel, two workbenches, and the room with the garage door looks so cool when you place your guts, hides, and saplings to cure because of the open space and the context of the room. This is why Quonset garage is my favourite base and I will always seek it out after I loot timberwolf mountain and ash canyon.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2021 at 4:02 PM, Stinky socks said:

Mountaineers hut in TWM is also no doubt up there as far as enjoyment. My only gripe is the hole in the roof. I try not to look up. Very enjoyable to open the door and see a wolf in the distance straight ahead and a deer on the right by the fishing hut. It's very beautiful in the evening to see that mountain in front with butt end of the airplane hanging off the cliff.

Just something about that view from the porch...

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng

On 5/5/2021 at 10:35 AM, peteloud said:

My favourite constantly changes.

*sigh Oh yeah.

On 5/8/2021 at 1:09 AM, Stinky socks said:

You forgot one important detail. Quonset garage is home to some wolf patrol. It is often hard to see them because of many obstacles.

That makes Quonset a no go for me - at least until I'm seriously well equipped, and even then staying in a house nearby is the better option.

As for my limited insight ..... There really are a lot of places I like and all of them have their advantages and disadvantages. Hence I've kind of given up on actually finding "the" spot to live in the game. If I had to pick a definitive one, it'd probably be the Hut on TWM. It's remote, and getting to a forge is an adventure, but if you want to settle on a spot, and you do not intend to move about a whole lot .... this might be it.

On 5/7/2021 at 4:23 PM, Skellygriff said:

Definitely the Quonset garage in coastal highway, downside of wolves and the bear.

If I had to choose someplace in CH, it would be one of the islands.  If I want to hunt, it's a short distance vs. something always hunting me!

Okay, favourite spots.

ML: Trapper's.

CH: Fishing village

DP: Stone Church

PV: Forest Cave

FM: That cave just east of Ol' Spence's

BR: That cave up on the hunting lodge's plateau, where you can go take that path via the rickety footbridge to the rope climb down to the shed

BI: Hmmm. Guess I'm going to say the Pensive Lookout. Close between that and Cannery Workers.

MT: Definitely the trailer up near the cave to HRV.

HRV: The cave in the northwest of the map, between the entrance to the ice cave and the bear's cave. 

TWM: Mountaineers'. Deer Clearing cave's a close second.

Ravine: The cave between the bridge and the rope climb down to where you transition to BI.

OIC: The cave out on the water. So much coal. OIC is really a temporary stop though... it's very difficult to survive there long term, even if you have cooking five and can eat the wolves without fear.

17 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

Theres a spot or two you cn also enjoy that(goating sessions). I'll give it a whirl when I get up top again. Places i am talking about is from radio tower dwn nd also from secret passage dwn.

Cannot edit, so I'm quoting me. BI is all locked down with invisi-wall, so no gloating from anywhere. Its partypooper.

So, does anyone like cannery area in bleak inlet as a base? Lots of everything there, including walking food!

Edited by Stinky socks
Huh, here I can edit? Hmm

I am over 700 days on my Voyager run taking my time exploring  and consolidating. So far have not explored Bleak Inlet, Desolation Point, TWM, Broken Railroad or Hushed River Valley.  My clothes get me 32 C above the ambient;  getting to TWM for premium clothes is not a concern.

So far my favorite location is the Coastal Highway's Fishing Village.  I can quickly return to ML via Ravine or move on to PV or DP when I choose.  Fishing is close and easy.  Sufficient wood is at hand.  Ambushing the wolf from the dock is fairly easy. Killing the bear from safety from the cliff across the roadway could not be simpler.  The dead bear ends up just a short distance from the fishing cabins.  That said the Farmhouse at Pleasant Valley is a close second.  As I explore the other 48% of Big Bear Island its likely I will change my mind.

Edited by Blizzard Walker
spelling

I like the Quonset gas station best for a long term base.  Although there are plenty of wolves to keep me guessing, once they’re dead I get bored.  Fortunately it’s close to other zones with lots of wolves and stuff to kill.  I mostly make a base in every zone, then move around stopping at each place.  It’s the only way that I can stand the boredom of the long game. 

• Upvote 1

Well, I just went to furlong muskeg to make 80 arrowheads because I have 96 arrow shafts. On the way back, I was sprinting and heard a bear roar before I saw him. Picked closest tree to climb, fortunately there was a very long one. Then sent my death from above, an arrow nd he ran off with my meat and pelt. Ah well, ...

You are right, there isn't a lot to do if you settle in. Only in movement is there chance for excitement phase.

Perhaps if hinterland added NPCs with their dynamic behaviors, also trying to survive and you could raid them or they could raid your base, that would create so much entertainment!!

Imagine catching methuselah with his pants dwn? "Enough of your philosophy, now give me your meat!!"- as you stretch your bow.

• Upvote 1

I really don't have an all time favourite house, so I guess I'll list my top pick(s) by region:

Ash Canyon: Angler's Den is my favourite. It's very central and there's good hunting and trapping nearby, along with a fishing hut not far away, and a pot belly stove and workbench. Only downside are the wolves that sometimes roam in the area. A safer option is Foreman's Retreat. With cooking 5, killing and eating the bear provides an enormous amount of food -- and no predators to worry about until the bear respawns! A workbench nearby in Miner's Folly is excellent for fixing stuff, too. The only downside is that firewood is a bit hard to get there.

Bleak Inlet: Probably the best choice is Pensive Lookout. It's got a great view of the area, especially during the aurora, and there aren't too many timberwolves nearby. Going down to the cannery is a bit of a climb, but it's not too bad if the weather's halfways decent.

Broken Railroad: I'd have to go with the Hunting Lodge. Cozy, warm, and masses of space to put your stuff; you have three bedrooms all to yourself! There's a workbench down in the basement, a six burner stove to cook on, and a forge not far away. Only downside is the wolves right outside and that they can ambush you if you don't pay attention. If you manage to bring down the moose just outside the door... you have food for days. Lastly, being close to Bleak Inlet can be very convenient, both for replenishing lamp oil and for milling/ammo crafting.

Coastal Highway: I really like Jackrabbit Island. Such a beautiful place to look at the setting sun, or the aurora... in relative safety from pesky pooches! Plenty of beachcombing and fishing nearby, and rabbits to snare. Only weakness is the house doesn't have a stove, but making a fire on the cliff overlooking the sea nearly makes up for that. Workbenches aren't too far away, both in the Fishing Camp and the Quonset.

Desolation Point: The Lighthouse is a beautiful base. Great view and very central, and easy to beat cabin fever from the top. Only weakness is that wolves like to patrol the road leading to it.

Forlorn Muskeg: I generally don't like living here. Too cold, and not many resources. I really don't have a favourite base here and prefer to go straight to Broken Railroad or Mystery Lake if possible.

Hushed River Valley: So. many. options. Valley Cave is excellent for exploring the lower valley, as it's got loads of coal and plenty of space, along with cattails to eat. For the high plateau, I like the southernmost entrance to the Ice Cave, as that area has a permanently lit room just inside the door. I'm sort of tied between Pensive Vista, Peak Cave, and Lake Cave. All of them are close to excellent hunting on Monolith Lake, and all provide excellent views. The only disadvantage of Lake Cave is that it's loud.

Mountain Town: Grey Mother's House, no question. It's big, roomy, contains a six burner stove, and very central. Only thing I don't like is the bullet holes in the wall, but...eh.

Mystery Lake: Camp Office. So central, with fishing nearby and two stoves. The house has two storeys and is quite cozy. Only thing that's creepy is when a corpse spawns inside. Guess he's sufficiently frozen that you can't smell him, but I wish there was a way to drag it out of there...

Pleasant Valley: Farmstead is my first choice, as it's a big old wooden house with lots of space and is centrally located, with a workbench in the basement. However, I also kinda like the Community Centre. There's plenty of storage and it's a great forward base for exploring town and the area around it. It's also a bit safer from wolves than the farmhouse.

Timberwolf Mountain: Mountaineer's Hut. Very quaint and cozy interior, with everything in it you might need and fishing/hunting right outside your door. Only annoying thing is that hole in the roof (why can't I fix that with some reclaimed wood?)

Warm and fuzzy feeling, the old farm in Forlorn Musteg. I did a challenge where I spawn there surviving purely outdoors for 100 days, only using the resources given in the region. Was about 10 seconds away from dying from cold lol. You need approximately two wolf coats, one pair deer pants, one pair deer boots, one rabbit hat, and one pair rabbit mittens to be able to sleep inside the shed without a fire. Got really lucky with match spawns, but the hardest part in the end was conserving them. Ran out about day 95 and had an overflow of bear meat and water to sleep and wait the rest. Like once a fire was lit, you had to make sure you were cooking at least two animals, while multitasking with either hunting, crafting, or repairing. But after you get warm clothes, I didn't need to worry. Wouldn't call myself a veteran but jeez matches are scary to use when you don't have a magnifying glass. The biggest things I learned was the temperature cycle of the day, and don't be afraid to lug around the hammer for wolves.

But General survival, the camp office at ML. It's the warmest most predictable region, and surrounded by EVERYTHING you need.

Least favorite, the BR. The hills are awful for wolf hunting. Too many blind spots, around the garage. Also the Hunting Lodge is very far from any needed resource. Might make for an interesting challenge though...

Edited by Nightcrawler