Remove Auto Saves On Sprains

Mig_zvm

Well, I got stuck while trying to shimmy down Timberwolf Mountain and of course the game auto saved since I sprained a limb while trying to free myself.

Not a very interesting way to go out if you ask me.

What is the benefit from auto saving on sprains?  

If we remove auto saving on sprains then at least we can quit and revert to our last save instead of being stuck forever.

I wish auto saving on sprains would go away.

Thank you

• Like 2

I think that the auto-save on sprains, struggles, falls, and so on; was a good call.  I think it helps reinforce the idea that we need to be always paying close attention to what we are doing in this game, and that our choices (and mistakes) have real consequences.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mig_zvm said:

Well, I got stuck while trying to shimmy down Timberwolf Mountain and of course the game auto saved since I sprained a limb while trying to free myself.

Not a very interesting way to go out if you ask me.

What is the benefit from auto saving on sprains?  

If we remove auto saving on sprains then at least we can quit and revert to our last save instead of being stuck forever.

I wish auto saving on sprains would go away.

Thank you

The long dark tries to punish you on your mistakes so it auto saves to prevent you from reverting back. Any injury will kick off an auto safe for that same exact reason to prevent reverting a save. Irl you can't do that and I believe the long dark tries to explain that as well as best it can. I highly doubt they remove that feature.

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

I think that the auto-save on sprains, struggles, falls, and so on; was a good call.  I think it helps reinforce the idea that we need to be always paying close attention to what we are doing in this game, and that our choices (and mistakes) have real consequences.

That makes total sense, except what if there is no way to tell by looking at a ledge or "corner bit" if I will get stuck or not?

I think the end result only deters us away from goating, which is immensely satisfying as well as rewarding.  Not to mention that the entire sprain system on it's own seems so completely random and annoying.  I am not saying to throw it out, but sheesh.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mig_zvm said:

the end result only deters us away from goating

So did all the times I found "Instant Kill" spots while I was goating around in various places... but I just learned to be more careful.
I've also had one particular run come to a tragic end by when I got stuck in the terrain... but again, I just learned to be more careful.

I think the better solution is to inform Hinterland about where players can get stuck in the terrain... so they can fix that. (the problem there is not the auto-save function)

I like the sprain system, and I like the auto-save system as they are now.  With regard to those two mechanics, I don't think there is anything there for Hinterland to "fix."

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

So did all the times I found "Instant Kill" spots while I was goating around in various places... but I just learned to be more careful.
I've also had one particular run come to a tragic end by when I got stuck in the terrain... but again, I just learned to be more careful.

I think the better solution is to inform Hinterland about where players can get stuck in the terrain... so they can fix that. (the problem there is not the auto-save function)

I like the sprain system, and I like the auto-save system as they are now.  With regard to those two mechanics, I don't think there is anything there for Hinterland to "fix."

I guess.  I know I was in a rush at the time and I know what I could have done differently.

I just wish that I took a picture of this large slightly angled ledge that I got stuck on.  It was a definite "Nooooooo" Moment.

On my opinion, the autosave function is a good thing as it is now.

BUT i understand your point. The mobility in this game looks unfinished sometimes: some small areas where u cant step over, while others u can absurdly freely walk over (huge logs on Log Sort, Costal Highway), or tiny ledges and slopes that are simply one-way movement.

And the Sprains system itself seems too alien for my comprehension (i got lot more sprains being careful and using Crampons than doing not)

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

but again, I just learned to be more careful.

I'm not sure I understand: How do you exactly do that? Have you stopped goating?
If I understand the OP correctly, they got stuck in places where they were likely not meant to get stuck (i.e. terrain bug, not carelessness)

In general I agree, that sprains, as all other injuries are meant to be "final", and that is why it autosaves.
For terrain bugs: reporting them, and keeping a backup of saves is my understanding to apply the classic suggestion I believe I've heard somewhere nearby:
"Must be prepared for anything"

8 hours ago, AdamvR said:

I'm not sure I understand: How do you exactly do that? Have you stopped goating?

I learned to be a bit more careful about where and how I do my goating.  I didn't stop, I just have noted the places I got stuck/instantly killed and started avoiding them (as well as places that looked similar to the places I might be likely to get stuck).

Edited by ManicManiac

3 minutes ago, odizzido said:

If we could just lift our legs a little this problem would go away. Reporting all the places you get jammed up or stuck in this game would be a full time job.

yes, probably a bit more leeway in what "obstacles" are meant as passable could solve much of the problematic places, without allowing "jumping".
probably a tricky question on balancing, as if that is allowed, a lot of the "forbidden" places would need to be checked again, if they did not by accident become reachable. It is a huge universe...