What were some of your gameplay misconceptions?

It's embarrassing to share this but

I never used emergency stims until recently 1) I got used to finding alternative routes/solutions than using a stim 2) I thought its description "you collapse from exhaustion" meant that after using it you'll physically pass out on the ground for an hour or so, which could be deadly if near a predator or out in the cold.

Another one, I assumed drinking herbal restored fatigue. So I would drink it before sleep assuming it replenished more fatigue :(:(

And rhar makes me wonder. What were some things that you were mistaken about?

• Like 1

I thought that armor (Protection) was cumulative, but actually only the outer layer is taken.

That is counterintuitive for me, because i think no matter which layer is stronger, a piercing or tearing object should trespass both before hit the skin. As i see, the outer layer clothing, if more resistant, would protect the inner layer (and itself) from being ripped, but both would protect the user.

• Upvote 5
  • Like 2

that if you see steps ahead, you will always be able to goat down on a cliff.
little did I know about instakill places.

I'm still curious what is down below the chasm under the cave below the plane in Milton...
or the valley with the road you can see to the right when entering from ML...

Edited by AdamvR
  • Upvote 2

If you don't have a can opener, you will always use knife or hatchet to open cans, even though you reach lvl.3 cooking and could smash them open without losing calories. Game defaults to more preferable way to open cans.

I did not know this and kept using up my knife health even though I had a can opener in my home base (didn't carry it for weight savings after reaching lvl.3 cook).

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, TheKnightIsDark said:

Another one, I assumed drinking herbal restored fatigue. So I would drink it before sleep assuming it replenished more fatigue :(:(

Wait what?? That's not how herbal tea works!? Color me embarrassed that's how I've been using it. How does it work and thanks!

I didn't know that the flashlight had an extra bright mode that holds animals back until I accidentally discovered this!

• Upvote 1

When first playing the game (on Wintermute) I honestly thought I was breaking and entering in some houses. My character would yawn and I'd get the heck out of the house because I thought I woke an angry resident. 😂

• Like 2

10 hours ago, xAnAngelOfDeathx said:

Wait what?? That's not how herbal tea works!? Color me embarrassed that's how I've been using it. How does it work and thanks!

It increases condition recovery during sleep. Only really relevant on Interloper or custom settings where you regain a lot less than 90% for a full night

Edited by Serenity
  • Upvote 1

I assumed spending a lot of time in the "deeper half" of an outdoor cave would add to cabin fever risk. So like an idiot for hundreds of days I made fires or cooked in the outer half, and actively tried to avoid as much time as possible in the inner half as if it were hot lava

On 3/4/2021 at 7:25 AM, TheKnightIsDark said:

It's embarrassing to share this but

I never used emergency stims until recently 1) I got used to finding alternative routes/solutions than using a stim 2) I thought its description "you collapse from exhaustion" meant that after using it you'll physically pass out on the ground for an hour or so, which could be deadly if near a predator or out in the cold.

And rhar makes me wonder. What were some things that you were mistaken about?

I actually use stims just for sleeping, if I don't have anything to do other than waiting for the night to end I'll inject a stim to exhaust my character that way I can sleep and wake up fully rested in the morning instead of half way through the day if I just ran in circles waiting to get tired enough. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, xAnAngelOfDeathx said:

So it works kind of like birch bark tea? Cheers

Sort of. Birch bark tea actively increases condition even when you aren't sleeping. And it does that during sleep too. Herbal tea only increases the per hour recovery percentage for six hours.

On 3/5/2021 at 3:57 PM, Serenity said:

It increases condition recovery during sleep. Only really relevant on Interloper or custom settings where you regain a lot less than 90% for a full night

Not quite. It is pretty handy overall if you were mauled by an animal and need to recover as much condition per a short amount of sleep as possible. Say you were mauled in morning. You have a chance to take 2 hours of sleep and recover some condition then continue on your way. This makes herbal really useful because you can just drink one third of the cup, lie down and sleep and recover in those two hours of sleep a decent portion of your condition. Its great for increased margin of error. 

As for my misconseptions, there were many over the years. Many I just found out not to be true through trial and error, some I found out to be wrong through these forums. 

Biggest over the years that took me years to figure out was that meat doesnt have to be harvested by 0.5 kg increments. That you can hit escape mid-way to cut meats into smaller slices. And that it can be used to harvest a rabbit into two similarly big slices. 

Or that bears are not afraid of campfires. That one hurt. :D 

• Upvote 1