End game goal- helicopter rescue

Sherri

With survival mode having the only goal of survive as long as you can, then die. It would be awesome to have a happy ending option.

Players could choose a survival target of various # of days. At the target # of days, be at a given location on day 50/100/500/1000 and a rescue helicopter will pick you up.

So yay you get a happy ending. Or can choose 'endless' for the current open ended mode.

Would give Survival mode a new sense of purpose.

Could even have a 'radio for help' sub-goal. The radio gives you the pickup location.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sherri said:

Hmm. Well a similar idea. Something to work toward besides death would be nice.

That's the whole point of the game, though. You vs. Mother Nature, seeing how long you can survive. There is no end goal, just tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with the Helicopter rescue or something that makes sense in a geo storm. Because after 500 or 1000 days I think you've proved your point. When you're perpetually naked living on only rabbits and a magnifying glass and are still able and willing to go on then yeah... give the guy a happy ending and get his ass the hell out of there.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

No thank you, I am not in favor of this idea... setting aside the reasons given by the lore for a moment:

There is no "happily ever after" or "congratulations you win!" in Survival Mode, and I would argue there shouldn't be.  I really like that death is the eventuality, no mater what (regardless of whether it's because we've given up, or due to tragic circumstances - most often due to our own bad decisions). 

I really like the fact that once we are proficient in our survival tasks that it's really up to us to decided how we live in the world Hinterland has provided us and for how long. 

:coffee::fire:

• Like 1

There could be a plane to land on ice

https://www.wired.com/2015/03/landing-ice-runway-less-crazy-sounds/

The problem is more you need to send a signal to the outerwould where you are and need rescue. This gives three problems to overcome. You need to craft a device that can give such a signal, or find one, like radio signal. This device should be immune to
magnetic storm CMEs (coronal mass ejection) so maybe build a Faraday cage for storing it using lots of scrap metal. Needs to be used when the CME is at its lowest so you need a device that can measure severity of magnetic storm which is meassured in teslas.

You could make such a device with inspiration from this video:

A non electrical weight can be found

Wires can be found, electricity in those wires are fueled by the sunstorm

Magnetics can be found

You dont need to be able to calculate the magnetic flux, just know when its weakest.

One more thing you would need is to read a book about all this so you gain knowledge about electricity and magnetism 😛

Edited by exeexe

19 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

There is no "happily ever after" or "congratulations you win!" in Survival Mode, and I would argue there shouldn't be.  I really like that death is the eventuality, no mater what (regardless of whether it's because we've given up, or due to tragic circumstances - most often due to our own bad decisions).

I couldn't agree More with maniacmaniac. I don't think this idea makes any sense with the story of the game.

On 5/22/2020 at 5:35 PM, ManicManiac said:

No thank you, I am not in favor of this idea... setting aside the reasons given by the lore for a moment:

I really like the fact that once we are proficient in our survival tasks that it's really up to us to decided how we live in the world Hinterland has provided us and for how long. 

:coffee::fire:

I agree to a point but I wouldn't mind seeing a custom option for a days survived victory or some other end. The reason is that it's fairly easy to survive long enough that it kind of stretches my suspension of disbelief and reminds me im playing a game.

Of course there is nothing stopping you from setting these sort of arbitrarily yourself and just stop playing and start a new run.Make up whatever happens afterward if you want a story...

I like this idea but I would make a few changes. Change it to where you have to work for the ending. For example, have the objective be gathering a bunch of materials to make a boat and escape, or perhaps their could be a random, but guaranteed spawn of a piece of paper that tells you how to fix the radio at a location with a radio (signal hill, Carter Dam, etc.) Then you would have to travel Great Bear finding replacement parts and then repairing the radio and waiting for the aurora to come back. Of course you can turn off this feature before getting into a new run if you like endless survival. It would be a great idea to have something else to work towards other than death.

• Like 1

Erm ye I’m sure most of the 170+ Comments  are people saying there’s kinda Been a geomagnetic storm and electricity ya know DOSENT WORK but I still gonna say it........

Yea that’s impossible bro 

A sail boat rescue would at least work. Though since this was almost certainly a world event it's less of a rescue and more of a change of scenery. That would likely still be good though since nothing is growing and almost all the animals will be dead soon enough. Maybe the bears would live....maybe.

You could even have the objective of making or repairing and stocking up a sail boat.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Sherri said:

I'd settle for a path out of Bear Island and a 'you escape to the great unknown....' sort of ending. Anything other than death.

Exactly. Open-ending is enough. No one knows what will going to happen after and the game don't need to show everything. This is just one another way to finish a sandbox mode, instead of suicide or uninstall. Are there any "aftermath" contents after suicide in sandbox? No. Just one line screen and that is all. "Escape" ending can show a similar thing. Just one screenshot and several lines of description, and the end of sandbox. 

I also suggested boat and hidden tunnels, after mysterious radio contact during the aurora. 

Edited by sonics01
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, sonics01 said:

Exactly. Open-ending is enough. No one knows what will going to happen after and the game don't need to show everything. This is just one another way to finish a sandbox mode, instead of suicide or uninstall. Are there any "aftermath" contents after suicide in sandbox? No. Just one line screen and that is all. "Escape" ending can show a similar thing. Just one screenshot and several lines of description, and the end of sandbox. 

I also suggested boat and hidden tunnels, after mysterious radio contact during the aurora. 

They could perhaps have one of the rockslides 'settle' or an earthquake occur after X number of days and that's when a pass out of the known maps opens up and you get a chance to travel there and take a 'you escape into the mysterious beyond...' ending.

I actually like this better than my original helicopter idea. I think I'll make this it's own thread.

On 5/22/2020 at 9:54 PM, Fierysaint said:

I agree with the Helicopter rescue or something that makes sense in a geo storm. Because after 500 or 1000 days I think you've proved your point. When you're perpetually naked living on only rabbits and a magnifying glass and are still able and willing to go on then yeah... give the guy a happy ending and get his ass the hell out of there.

usually what i do past 300 days i just throw my character from a bridge there is nothing to do after that

On 5/30/2020 at 11:05 PM, odizzido said:

A sail boat rescue would at least work. Though since this was almost certainly a world event it's less of a rescue and more of a change of scenery. That would likely still be good though since nothing is growing and almost all the animals will be dead soon enough. Maybe the bears would live....maybe.

You could even have the objective of making or repairing and stocking up a sail boat.

damnn i like it

there should be one ending for every maps or almost and you would have to discover em during your sandboxes only one at the time and the endings could be death but at least it would be an ending not our character stupidly dying of cold or by a wolf without trying to get rescued for 1000 days

for example you go on timberwolf mountain and then you use a flaregun or something and then they rescue you (maybe they wont be searching for a little one motor airplaine but they are obviously gonna search for a big plane that crashed somewhere.)

my other idea is that you could get to the mistery fire in hushed river valley and then there is a survivor there but a crazy survivor and he finally kills you 

i also like the idea of packing a boat it is my favourite

what is beautiful about these endings is that they are optionnal if you like  to get lost during 1000 days then go for it but let the bored survivors have a propper ending at least an ending that means something even if it is death.