What's the point of the Insulin run?

Master_Superninja418

I do not think we should have our time wasted to go on an insulin run, because on reality you are just delaying the inevitable (insulin runs out - dead anyway). Maybe change this to carry the victim to some spot Father knows and 'humanely' kill (him or her, i forgot). It would still be roughly the same amount of time. Note, i got sick of playing after the missing person mission so i don't know if something happened to the diabetic after this.

12 hours ago, Master_Superninja418 said:

I do not think we should have our time wasted to go on an insulin run, because on reality you are just delaying the inevitable (insulin runs out - dead anyway). Maybe change this to carry the victim to some spot Father knows and 'humanely' kill (him or her, i forgot). It would still be roughly the same amount of time. Note, i got sick of playing after the missing person mission so i don't know if something happened to the diabetic after this.

I sincerely hope you don't pursue a career in medicine.

• Upvote 9

At that point in story mode, people know that things were bad (as often it was, given the times) but they don't really know (neither do we) just how bad.  The premise of episode 3 was that Astrid, as a medical doctor, was called upon to help the survivors of a plane crash, among other things.  So there were a series of quests patterned on that assumption.  As far as the Priest and Astrid know, help was on the way but had not yet arrived.  It would have been out of character for Astrid to engage in a mercy killing (i.e. the murder) of a basically helpless survivor.  Certainly the Priest would not cooperate nor participate in such an acts and would likely intend to report her for doing so. 

At this point we do not know what was so important for Astrid to look up Will to fly her "no questions asked" with her locked case to the northern part of Great Bear.  Given what we do know, it would seem very uncharacteristic of her to consider helping survivors and administering aid to the injured to be a waste of time.  It would also seem to be out of character for her to hunt down convicts (and do what with them) or hunt and kill a bear or moose which would be some of the alternatives to the survivors quests.  She's pretty talented, but there would be limits to what she can do. 

I do understand a "why am I doing this" concern but it was part of the game. 

• Upvote 2

If I remember it correctly, the insulin was only part of the run. You need to get informations about survivors, which calms down those in the center. Plus you get a lot of food. And you get one survivor on top of it. The insuline is just cherry on the cake. Look to the crash site perfectly fits to the Astrid character.

And as mentioned. They dont know how bad the situation is. Whether help is or is not on the way. And it would be really out of character to let the guy die without trying to help or just kill him.

• Upvote 1

On 4/5/2020 at 11:26 AM, acada said:

If I remember it correctly, the insulin was only part of the run. You need to get informations about survivors, which calms down those in the center. Plus you get a lot of food. And you get one survivor on top of it. The insuline is just cherry on the cake. Look to the crash site perfectly fits to the Astrid character.

And as mentioned. They dont know how bad the situation is. Whether help is or is not on the way. And it would be really out of character to let the guy die without trying to help or just kill him.

This. Gameplay wise I think you can argue about it but thinking about what it means to safe a single individual life no matter what. It really fits Astrids character to venture out to get the insulin for this single person she doesn't know and couldn't care less. But she doesn't because that's not how Astrid thinks. I think the whole insulin part really shows her character. 

9 minutes ago, Laika Ivanova said:

This. Gameplay wise I think you can argue about it but thinking about what it means to safe a single individual life no matter what. It really fits Astrids character to venture out to get the insulin for this single person she doesn't know and couldn't care less. But she doesn't because that's not how Astrid thinks. I think the whole insulin part really shows her character. 

I mean in a real life situation i wouldn't risk my life for a little bottle of insulin that would run out within a fortnight, then what happens to the diabetic? We can assume the geological winter was already happening before Astrid came into the region, thus the same thing that occurred with the passenger plane. Even if there were multiple weeks of insulin left it'd be very risky and time consuming to search every nook and cranny for that one bag.

I was pissed having to go to the crash site like 3 times 🤣

Anyway it could be easily replaced to another mission such as collecting clothes or something up there for the survivors. 

I appreciate your reply.

• Upvote 1

In fact Astrid did not need to help any of those survivors. But she did even she needs to go to the Perseverance Mills. Helping diabetic to get his dose perfectly fits her character. And about when the insulin runs out: we dont know how big the bottle or pen is. 

3 hours ago, Dum_Gen said:

As far as I know, some people with diabetes do not need regular insulin injections, only in critical cases. Therefore, it is perfectly possible, that Dimitriy needs it due to the plane crash and after that he will be able to recover. So this part of the quest goes along with the TLD gameplay, because you need to be focused and not forget what you need to do. Otherwise, you will have to spend more time on returning back and searching what you forgot. I think many players encountered it in the survival mode, when you are going to another location and halfway through you notice that you forgot some instruments or pot/cans to boil water, so you have to go back.

I was more frustrated with the other quest structure, when you need to carry survivors from all corners of the map. It looks less realistic that the regular passenger plane had so many flare guns (at least 3),  that they all survived the frost and wounds and were able to start fires. It would be more realistic and tragic, if some of survivors couldn't make it and Astrid would have to deal with that her efforts were pointless in some part. Plus those three exta survivors basically looked like artificial prolonging to hide lack of content. However, we've got more mandatory fetch quests for which the devs were criticized for in the Ep.2.

Yeah i stopped playing when some bloody wolves and a bear would attack me everytime with the most North Western survivor i think

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2020 at 9:33 PM, Master_Superninja418 said:

I think you may have missed the point of TLD. You are going to die. It is inevitable. Not in many years as an elderly person in bed surrounded by loved ones, but in weeks or months. That is always how the game ends. You will run out of matches first I would guess, then fire-starters, then magnifying glasses, then cooked food and safe water, and then you will die. This is assuming that some psychotic zombie timberwolf does not just tear you up. What is the point of getting and administering insulin until the insulin runs out? What is the point of collecting any of the finite resources in the game? Just as the diabetic will die after the insulin runs out, you will die shortly after some other resource runs out. The point is to keep living while you may, not to just give up.

• Upvote 2

On 4/5/2020 at 5:42 PM, Master_Superninja418 said:

What's this got to do with my common sense comment ;) 

From the perspective of a health care worker, let me comment.

As with many professionals, I took an oath when I completed my education. That oath, among other things, stated that I would place the needs of those I care for above the needs of myself.

Perhaps this is an archaic form of responsibility, in this age when words are worth as much as the paper they're printed on. Certainly, there's an argument to be made about allowing nature to take its course, especially in those for whom no further efforts will serve. I've been there. I've seen them. There's kindness in allowing them to fade away.

Still, there's hope. Sometimes, thanks to our efforts, a person's fate may be averted. A young, able-bodied, living person is before you. You have the knowledge, resources and skills to give them a chance to live one more day. You stand, in your mind, and ask that person what their choice would be. Do they want that day, or do they long for the long dark?

It's a terrible, dark secret of any who hold that power in their hands. From neonatal care, wondering if the child's life you preserve will end up permanently brain damaged, to the palliative care ward, knowing that every effort you expend will be ultimately wasted.

This recent time has forced me to consider my own oaths, fearing for my family and myself given the risks I face in the line of duty. After much soul searching, I came to the conclusion that I had a simple choice. Uphold my oath, or abandon it. Despite the risk, I choose to go to work each day, knowing I could be signing my death sentence.

The choice Astrid makes, futile though it may be, isn't really a choice. It's an expression of her true nature, a willingness to follow her oaths and uphold the standard to which she and her peers serve.

Perhaps the common man might choose differently.

Perhaps the common man ought to be grateful they're served by those who don't.

• Like 4

Insuline mission isnt very logical. You have to get it, but you have infinity time to do it. Whole week hunting rabbits no problem. Victim wont pass away.

There should be timer, perhaps?

Edited by Moll
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am not a doctor but in my opinion getting the insulin makes sense from a survival perspective. 

There are several injured and sick people that Father whatshisnameagainsorryIforgot has to care for. Survival chances increase if there are people to help with the necessary tasks (get firewood, hunt for food, cook up water etc.) Assumed that the diabetic isn't heavily injured and "just" needs the insulin, getting the insulin for him and thus enabling him to support the cleric (even if it's just for a limited period of time) will increase survival chances for everyone. 

It might even allow him to "go and get help", and maybe even medical care ... 

Edited to add: I also think there should be a timer, or at least it should have consequences if you don't hurry to get that mission done.

Edited by melcantspell
  • Upvote 1

On 4/3/2020 at 6:33 PM, Master_Superninja418 said:

I mean really? breathing is also delaying the inevitable and eating and drinking no one will live forever

On 4/4/2020 at 3:33 AM, Master_Superninja418 said:

I do not think we should have our time wasted to go on an insulin run, because on reality you are just delaying the inevitable (insulin runs out - dead anyway). Maybe change this to carry the victim to some spot Father knows and 'humanely' kill (him or her, i forgot). 

Seems a little bit rough but you raise an interesting moral dilemma that stir up some feelings. Storywise I would have preferred it if Astrid was unable to locate the insuline and a circumstance where she had to perform a humane kill. That would have made for some interesting character development. We didn't need the story to have us save three people to understand what Astrid is like. She's a doctor, we already know that she saves lives. I'd have appreciated a plot twist that challenged her most profound traits. With Will we got the chance to steal from grey mama in episode 1 if I'm not mistaken. 

The "point" is very much the same as with Grey Mother and Hobbs (in Episode 1: "Do Not Go Gentile"), those being "moral choices."  Do we help, or do we harm.  Do we show compassion or callousness?  Do we empathize or are we selfish?  I think this the point of the insulin run.  It's not about it benefiting Astrid... it's about whether she would turn her back on those in need, or if she would choose to try and save a life.

In the case of Astrid... since we are playing her story, then I'd say it's reasonable that she would feel compelled to help the crash survivors to live as long and as well as possible.  After all, I think that's consistent with the way she is characterized.  I mean, her whole purpose for wanting to get to Great Bear in the first place was to try and save lives.

:coffee::fire:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Master_Superninja418 said:

Extra time lying on the floor too weak to do anything?

I assumed those people would recover after a few days, thanks to the food & stuff we gathered. I like to head-cannon that those survivors healed up & all worked toward escaping the island.

Edited by Sherri