Characters talking about more than just items and conditions

MarrowStone

Here are some suggestions for future voice outtakes. The specific goal with these is to make the characters more aware of what their seeing rather than only what they're feeling or finding. 

I know one script plays when morning arrives and when night arrives too. But that's all I seem to hear. 

1. Searching for Survivors:

When entering a newly discovered area with buildings:

Shouting, "Hello? Anybody there!?" 

Asking, "Anybody home?" when entering a house.

Discovering Bodies

"Never thought this sight would get old, I wish it didn't have to..." (After finding more bodies than you can count on two hands)

2.Location specific scripts

When on a cliff and facing a great view of the sunset or just a pretty view:
"Wow, its... beautiful up here."

Or just on certain cliffs/railroad bridges...

"Id better watch my step..."

3. Interesting Locations

IE: when the character finds the hydro dam,

"well I'll be dammed, heh."

2 hours ago, Ohbal said:

I absolutely support this idea. Same should happen when facing animals: bears and wolves: cursing, yelling, that kind of stuff.

Actually, if you watch a early dev reveal video from early alpha you will see that will does say stuff when facing wolves. Thats sort-of how i got the idea. 

6 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

Actually, if you watch a early dev reveal video from early alpha you will see that will does say stuff when facing wolves. Thats sort-of how i got the idea. 

There are currently audio cues that trigger when facing wolves. Here's an example of one from our Screenshot Saturday videos: 

thanks for filling me in on Will's voice actor :D been wondering about that one. hinterland did such a good job picking out the voice actors for their characters. Hayter and Hale just match so perfectly to their characters' personalities :)

Some more suggestions:

Wolf/bear in visual range

• "Better not mess with this guy."
  • "Better keep my distance."

Opening locker/trunk with crowbar

• "Well, guess the owners ain't coming back..."
  • "Excuse me."

Weather getting worse

• "Damn, the wind is picking up. Have to find some shelter."
  • "It's getting cold out here. Gotta find someplace warm."

Successfully killing an animal

• "Gotcha!"
  • "Better you than me, buddy."

Randomly while walking

• Whistling/humming a song
  • Some bits of sing-song

I might be mistaken but I believe I read somewhere that WIll in story mode is voiced by Mark Meer, though I know Hayter is a voice in the game too. Not sure if they're actually using Meer's voice in the sandbox or Hayter's =/ (t really does sound like David Hayter in the Sandbox). Maybe Patrick can clarify If i'm just losing my mind or if I saw that somewhere?

As for the idea of more vocal cues? Absolutely! the voices picked are absolutely brilliant. (I might also add I'm hugely biased as I've been a Jennifer Hale fan for well over a decade!)

18 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

There are currently audio cues that trigger when facing wolves. Here's an example of one from our Screenshot Saturday videos: 

Yup, but I can only trigger those while brandishing a torche. Would be cool to have them triggered in different situations, in the way @Wastelander just suggested above. 

4 hours ago, Wastelander said:

Some more suggestions:

Wolf/bear in visual range

• "Better not mess with this guy."
  • "Better keep my distance."

Opening locker/trunk with crowbar

• "Well, guess the owners ain't coming back..."
  • "Excuse me."

Weather getting worse

• "Damn, the wind is picking up. Have to find some shelter."
  • "It's getting cold out here. Gotta find someplace warm."

Successfully killing an animal

• "Gotcha!"
  • "Better you than me, buddy."

Randomly while walking

• Whistling/humming a song
  • Some bits of sing-song

These are great suggestions and maybe HT will add some?

I would love the character to stop making a tons of noise when I am close to a dangerous situation.

Last time I've been attacked by a wolf near the gas station and I was nearly killed. I wanted to find a schelter quickly without fighting another wolf so I crouch and moved carefully to the closest house. I was tense listening to every noise and my character starts to yawn... First it scared the hell out of me and second it kind of broke the moment. It was a life or death situation, you could imagine the character having an adrenalin rush and therefore not yawning because he didn't rest for the past 4 hours.

I'm going really far out here; but how about lines for seasonal transitions, when it's implemented?

Summer->Autumn

- Ain't so warm anymore...
- Winter isn't too far off
- Best start preparing for winter
Couple this with a transitional title which takes up much of the screen for maximum effect.

Autumn->Winter

- Ah, f*ck
- Brrrr, I'd like to go back inside
- F*ckin' freezing out here (assuming hinterland is coolio with swearing. I was never quite sure on this point, because most of the cursing in wolf fights is stuff like "Get away you mother-)

Winter->Spring

- Ahhhh
- It really is pretty out here

etc

Thoughts anyone?

23 hours ago, TheBestOfUs said:

That would add a bit more personality, but when would the seasons change? I don't think that is a feature yet, but it would be cool to see the amount of snow go down over time.

It's on the roadmap, for a full season sandbox rotation @12+ months, and I believe that they plan to introduce spring/winter rotations earlier than that.

Thanks everyone for the discussion, these are all pretty good ideas and its nice to know others hope for this too.

Like @Zambudjosaid, characters shouldnt talk/make noise under certain conditions and it should be not a 100 percent chance of saying things either.

I was thinking if the area looks hostile, (wolves or npcs) there wouldnt be any voice overs above a whisper to self or something.

But i especially think itd be nice to hear them searching for survivors every so often  when entering new locations that are manmade and dont seem hostile.

Archived