Characters talking about more than just items and conditions

MarrowStone

I would almost think the "single hardest element" of the upcoming story mode would be the dialog between yourself, and the NPC's.

How to make the verbal interaction between you and the NPC unique without becoming boring and repetitive. After all, if an NPC only has 3 or 4 different phrases or greetings to offer, that will make the interaction stale pretty quick!

Plus ......   and this is a HUGE PLUS!! Because this is an international game, imagine all the different languages the Devs are going to have to deal with!!  OMG ...... that thought alone is almost overwhealming!!

It would not surprise me one bit if this is one of the "big reasons" for the Story Mode being delayed!!

• 3 weeks later...

the more voice overs they add the more random they could be.

One which jerks me is the lady player when she says "hrm I'll take that". when in fact I won't take that :) I think it needs to say "hrm should I take this"

10 minutes ago, nicko said:

the more voice overs they add the more random they could be.

One which jerks me is the lady player when she says "hrm I'll take that". when in fact I won't take that :) I think it needs to say "hrm should I take this"

:D:D:Dme to. :D:D:D 
why should i need to take sneaker when i have deer skin boot?

On 6/15/2016 at 9:06 AM, cowboymrh said:

I would almost think the "single hardest element" of the upcoming story mode would be the dialog between yourself, and the NPC's.

How to make the verbal interaction between you and the NPC unique without becoming boring and repetitive. After all, if an NPC only has 3 or 4 different phrases or greetings to offer, that will make the interaction stale pretty quick!

Plus ......   and this is a HUGE PLUS!! Because this is an international game, imagine all the different languages the Devs are going to have to deal with!!  OMG ...... that thought alone is almost overwhealming!!

It would not surprise me one bit if this is one of the "big reasons" for the Story Mode being delayed!!

Has anyone ever heard of the game facade? It was extremely interesting, groundbreaking even for what it was. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fa%C3%A7ade_(interactive_story)

Basically, you could type anything into the text box and the AI would appropriate a response. It was very cool and interesting. But I'm getting way ahead of things. It makes me think a bit of randomization and AI could help in that department as far as avoiding things being repetitive and boring.

1 hour ago, alone sniper said:

:D:D:Dme to. :D:D:D 
why should i need to take sneaker when i have deer skin boot?

What, you don't compulsively steal everything you can get your hands on? My cleptomania leaves me permanently overencumbered :D

1 hour ago, nicko said:

the game Firewatch does it pretty well. though that is more based on a person you don't see as they are on a walkie talkie. though I do recall some other interactions with NPC's.

Firewatch had incredibly good voice acting and character writing. The humor wasn't bad as well - maybe our survivors can crack some dark jokes on their journey?
"Oh, a blizzard, yeah, that's what I need, great."

6 minutes ago, unti1x said:

Hmm... How about really black/cynical humor, e.g. when character is in a bad mood (when it's released)?

Hmmm let's share some ideas then! (This is absolutely not so I can step up my game when it comes to black jokes,)

• "Stone cold, aren't ya?" - when looting a corpse
  • "Nothing? That's really 'cold' of ya, ya know..." - when looting a corpse without finding anything.
  • "Good thing your mouth is frozen shut. Your face looks annoying as hell." - same situation

56 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

Hmmm let's share some ideas then! (This is absolutely not so I can step up my game when it comes to black jokes,)

• "Stone cold, aren't ya?" - when looting a corpse
  • "Nothing? That's really 'cold' of ya, ya know..." - when looting a corpse without finding anything.
  • "Good thing your mouth is frozen shut. Your face looks annoying as hell." - same situation

..... thats so horrible it's just plain funny XD XD XD

completely agree with your earlier post, about Firewatch. man, if hinterland is able to produce voice acting half as good as that, it'll be the icing on the cake for me. it goes without saying, but the voice acting is one of the most important parts of telling a story - and firewatch executed it FLAWLESSLY. better than any game i'd ever seen before.

9 hours ago, cekivi said:

Please! Spare us the puns :silly:

If I don't, will there be pun-ishment?

9 hours ago, Tbone555 said:

..... thats so horrible it's just plain funny XD XD XD

completely agree with your earlier post, about Firewatch. man, if hinterland is able to produce voice acting half as good as that, it'll be the icing on the cake for me. it goes without saying, but the voice acting is one of the most important parts of telling a story - and firewatch executed it FLAWLESSLY. better than any game i'd ever seen before.

Yeah, voice acting is paramount - at least when it's done. TES Morrowind back then had only random voice acting but actual dialogue wasn't voiced so there was a lot of reading. Still an awesome game!

On 7/6/2016 at 1:06 PM, iSUGGESTthings said:

For now, since you can't move the corpses, I had a fun time creeping my friend out because she has to sleep in the same room as a dead guy. So I'd laugh if there was a dialogue string for "I swear to God, if that thing moves.." xD

yerp it still sort of freaks me , what the hell. Is HT trying to get us to used to living with dead strange face painted people. geez still freaks me out when i first fine one in house but now i just say " Hi frozen guy, just passing by. be nice lets all sleep well tonight." then go to sleep with my knife and axe handy. Just in case you know. geez make us Paranoid more or what.

18 hours ago, nicko said:

yerp it still sort of freaks me , what the hell. Is HT trying to get us to used to living with dead strange face painted people. geez still freaks me out when i first fine one in house but now i just say " Hi frozen guy, just passing by. be nice lets all sleep well tonight." then go to sleep with my knife and axe handy. Just in case you know. geez make us Paranoid more or what.

Personally I name them when I get bored - good thing I live alone, me talking to a corpse in a game could freak some people out.

"Hey Harold, I shot a deer! Deer, this is Harold. Harold, this is deer!"

Archived