Favourite TLD foods?

I love food in TLD and how it's designed I think it's the game that does food best, so I was wondering if people had similar thoughts about food in TLD in seeing something and thinking "I would totally eat that". Acorn coffee is one of my favourites and I would totally try it out in real life I love the description and the cup design, same for the Camber flight porridge I would totally have breakfast consisting of those two. Prepper pie is also something I would try out and the Ranger stew although the meat combination is questionable. Coastal fishcakes as well, since I regularly eat something similar, only with hake instead of trout. Tomato soup is my favourite of the processed foods, the can looks so cozy. What about you all?

• Upvote 3

Fun tidbit about a historical occurrence of acorn coffee. Coffee was a staple of the American diet post-revolutionary war (there was a tea shortage for some inconceivable reason). So when the Civil War came about, and the confederate states seceded from the U.S. (and its coffee supply) rather than simply replacing coffee, they fruitlessly tried to emulate it in a variety of different ways. Such ways included: Steeping burned rice in water, steeping cigar stumps in water, steeping sweet potatoes in water, steeping rye in water, and of course, acorns among many other things.

I don't think that's the origin of acorn coffee, but it might be one of the first occurrences in North American history.

• Upvote 3

I love the Pinnacle Peaches, and often pair them with venison or rabbit -- just seems like a perfect combination.

Ptarmigan & rabbit pies are new favorites, and sometimes I'll eat baked beans for breakfast, in an homage to the British tradition.

Have not made many of the stews, mostly because I rarely have all of the ingredients needed (esp. canned corn)

• Upvote 2

You can make a coffee substitute out of chicory root.  In North America it's a very common naturalized weed and is also known as cornflower.  You can recognize it from the pretty flowers that are very similar to the Crayola color of the same name.  If you decide to go foraging for some be sure to take someone who really knows their plants that can pin down the ID for you.

Back in the seventies I can remember my parents buying coffee that proudly proclaimed that it included chicory.  I'm not sure if popularized chicory coffee was due to the OPEC embargo or some other economic condition that affected coffee prices.  Either way, I've never tried it.   Let us knows how it goes if you try.

• Upvote 2

The chicory-infused coffee sold at New Orleans staple Café du Monde — often served with steamed milk and made to enjoy alongside fried beignets — boosted the reputation of chicory coffee across America. Today, most locally-owned New Orleans coffee shops mix their beverages with about 70 percent coffee and 30 percent chicory root. I believe the Luzianne was/is made with chicory as well.

Edited by TonyInPleasantValley
  • Upvote 2

My perception of it was that it was a cost-cutting measure because that's what it seemed to be in the seventies.  I never thought of it as something people would seek out.  Now I'd really like to try it.  Maybe I'll order some Luzianne coffee.  Hopefully in a small package so I can throw it out if I hate it 😄

• Upvote 1

On 1/15/2024 at 8:31 AM, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

You can make a coffee substitute out of chicory root.  In North America it's a very common naturalized weed and is also known as cornflower.  You can recognize it from the pretty flowers that are very similar to the Crayola color of the same name.  If you decide to go foraging for some be sure to take someone who really knows their plants that can pin down the ID for you.

Back in the seventies I can remember my parents buying coffee that proudly proclaimed that it included chicory.  I'm not sure if popularized chicory coffee was due to the OPEC embargo or some other economic condition that affected coffee prices.  Either way, I've never tried it.   Let us knows how it goes if you try.

tru and chicory roots have like I think twice as much caffeine as regular coffee so it is pretty strong but much like cat tail stalks (yes, you can actually eat them) you can eat it raw, won't taste good tho

Rose hip tea is pretty good. I've had tea with Reishi in it but I've never had actual Reishi tea per se.

I would definitely eat just about all the recipes, except maybe porridge... that's a no-no in my book!

And I would LOVE to try rabbit and bear meat 😋.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

Rose hip tea is pretty good. I've had tea with Reishi in it but I've never had actual Reishi tea per se.

I would definitely eat just about all the recipes, except maybe porridge... that's a no-no in my book!

And I would LOVE to try rabbit and bear meat 😋.

I drink rose-hip tea in the game just because it is so pretty (on Pilgrim, you really don't need to worry too much about painkillers). I have had it in RL too, and found it mild & sweet, very good with honey (which I would love to see added to the game, as both flavor/sweetness/energy and anti-biotic properties)

I've also had rabbit and bear in RL -- rabbit is excellent, esp. when braised slowly in red wine with lots onion & root veggies -- bear is "gamey" but can be very good if cooked properly (same as venison and most other bigger game meat) -- supposedly the taste can differ by what the bear was eating and what time of year it was harvested.  I had it done up as sausage, so it was spiced/flavored and aged.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2024 at 10:14 AM, isaac1207 said:

Fun tidbit about a historical occurrence of acorn coffee. Coffee was a staple of the American diet post-revolutionary war (there was a tea shortage for some inconceivable reason). So when the Civil War came about, and the confederate states seceded from the U.S. (and its coffee supply) rather than simply replacing coffee, they fruitlessly tried to emulate it in a variety of different ways. Such ways included: Steeping burned rice in water, steeping cigar stumps in water, steeping sweet potatoes in water, steeping rye in water, and of course, acorns among many other things.

I don't think that's the origin of acorn coffee, but it might be one of the first occurrences in North American history.

A lot of stories about WW2 in Poland mention acorn coffee or acorn flour. It really saved life in hard times of hunger and hard work.
I heard about teen girl exiled to Syberia (they were sent to Yakutsk mostly wchich is the coldest inhabited place on earth) living and hardworking on cup of acorn coffee and handfull of rice daily. It puts perspective on how amazing and adaptable human is.

My shot for "I'd eat that" is regullar coffe. Black with no sugar made on campfire in tin cup. It would be disgusting and bitter yet I'm sure snow and cold and warmth of coffee and campfire would make it the most tasty thing on earth. 
But to be fair every single dish in this game makes me feel hungry. Stew looks amazing. I lately had chance to try european roe and God... it tasted like heaven.

• Upvote 1

I swallow every time I put a steak on the rock in TLD and take it when it is done. I am simple taste man. Steak with little salt and thats it. When I have sweet tooth, I would eat pancakes. Simple pancakes with more than 0,05l of maple syrup. Oh yes I think that the ammount is too little. I like them swimming.

BTW can you imagine taste of steak prepared on the rock when coal is used in the fire?

Edited by acada
  • Upvote 1

On 1/12/2024 at 4:31 PM, cuttlefish said:

Acorn coffee is one of my favourites and I would totally try it out in real life

Just don't man. I tried it so you don't have to.

Just ... no.

Edited by ajb1978
Added link to post
  • Upvote 2

@ajb1978Thank you for your bravery. On the other hand we have chicory + roasted sugar beet + roasted rye and roasted barley mixture in our country. It has no caffeine so it can be served to kids. Man I drank liters of it when I was young. It definitely is no coffee, but it tastes good with milk.

On 1/27/2024 at 2:16 PM, Adamo said:

I love the feeling of opening a cold dog food can and being glad I’m not actually eating it in real life :)

Haha. You were never curious? Maybe not dog food, but cat's smell pretty good. I'm sure it's better quality food than human cans, just without spice and salt. xD

I'm a simple girl with simple tastes,so the porridge for me,maybe with a chocolate bar grated in it😁. Or maple syrup as I've never had it..

I'm a huge lover of pastry too,even raw ,but no meat so maybe id experiment with that and the sweet foods..  

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Semple Fi said:

Never had Maple Syrup…..?? 😢

That’s an easy one to check off you to-do list though!

Does it taste good on toast?  Or in tea?    I'm on a very basic diet at the moment.. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Does it taste good on toast?  Or in tea?

Not sure about toast. Maybe if you like your toast with honey, you will like this. The maple syrup is like not so sweet honey with hint of nuts (to me). And tea. I think so.