Your least stressful area?

hozz1235

Thinking in terms of a whole region, it would be Coastal Highway.  Travelling on the ice provides for good sight distance. Once I stock fuel and food at each fishing hut I can vastly expand my potential bases.  Presently in game I am returning to CH with a pile of loot to just chill out with some beach combing.

• Like 1

Mine is TWM - Mountaineer's Hut. It has everything I need, all in a nice and cozy little box on the lake.

On the other hand...I debated saying Camp office, but the number of Interloper attempts ended by a surprise wolf in Mystery Lake is too damn high.

• Upvote 2

I will modify my earlier post that I thought CH is most least stressful region.

In terms of an area where I least need to look over my shoulder, I will nominate Trappers Cabin basin.  I have never had the bear spawn in this area during my Voyageur runs.  Wolves just don't appear in the area in front of the cabin even when I am carrying around some meat from the deer that spawn in the Trapper's basin.

Most peaceful?.... Going with Fishing Camp at Coastal Highway, once the bear is dispatched one has to only worry about the occasional wolf spawn . But once you have your level 5 archery it's just more meat to cook while you fish. 

3 hours ago, Ahatch said:

Most peaceful?.... Going with Fishing Camp at Coastal Highway, once the bear is dispatched one has to only worry about the occasional wolf spawn . But once you have your level 5 archery it's just more meat to cook while you fish. 

I certainly agree with your choice of the Fishing Camp at Coastal Highway.  This location is my main base.  When returning after journeying elsewhere the first order of business is always "kill the bear" followed by 15 days of peace provided I keep an eye on the wolf that frequents the dock area.  With a little work that wolf can be lured towards the fishing hut with stones for an easy bow shot.  The long stretch of coast is mostly wolf free for purposes of beach combing. Presently I have piles of meat waiting to be cooked - cooking 5 helps.

• Upvote 1

On 5/25/2023 at 8:55 PM, hozz1235 said:

However you define "stress" in the game, what is the area you feel the most relaxed (least amount of stress)?

For me, I believe it's the Ravine.  No predators, plenty of game, wood, birch bark and caves.

the giant cliff waiting to consume you and end your massive run:

also, my least stressful location is probably the poacher's camp in forlorn muskeg. i know it might sound crazy to hear someone say that they find any place in forlorn muskeg to not be stressful, it's just that, for me at least, the poacher's camp is the staple of any of my forlorn muskeg explorations or startings.

Edited by florpman
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 5/25/2023 at 8:55 PM, hozz1235 said:

However you define "stress" in the game, what is the area you feel the most relaxed (least amount of stress)?

For me, I believe it's the Ravine.  No predators, plenty of game, wood, birch bark and caves.

It's hard to pick just one.

I love Desolation Point, it's my favorite region. I tend to be drawn there, though I guess I can't say it's the "least stressful". But I love it.

Probably the least stressful for me is all of Mystery Lake, mainly because I feel like I can get anywhere without issue in that entire region, even during a whiteout blizzard- I just know that map so well. With my favorite Cabin Fever Avoidance Camp being in the cave up behind the first set of Lake Cabins- a short trip to fishing huts, plenty of deer and wolves to hunt, the bear doesn't wander up near it, and close to Camp Office to stash extra gear and supplies. So- that might be it.

• Upvote 1

On 5/30/2023 at 11:17 PM, ManicManiac said:

It just seemed like a place that needed a name but didn't have one... so just started referring to it as the Lonely Meadow.
It's by no means official in any way at all... but it's at least my headcanon.  

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I'd love for the name to be adopted by the community if not by Hinterland too.  🤭

Hello, I don't know if the subject exists on the forum, but I've been wondering : where do the location names come from in the game perspective, in survival ? Does the surviver name them on the spot depending of their feelings ? It's the most convincing explanation, as you don't have a map to begin with, and a lot of names have a feeling attach to them like bleak inlet or are very descriptive like coastal highway. But does it include the places with a family name in them ? (like thomson's crossing, with the thomson's stew...)
Is it possible they remember them ? Or a bit of both ?

• Upvote 1

Also to reply, I'm a mystery lake camp office fan, I feel very safe and chill there.
I also feel safe at the mounteneer's hut on crystal lake, but nothing like the familiarity and security of mystery lake.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Quinine said:

Hello, I don't know if the subject exists on the forum, but I've been wondering : where do the location names come from in the game perspective, in survival ? Does the surviver name them on the spot depending of their feelings ? It's the most convincing explanation, as you don't have a map to begin with, and a lot of names have a feeling attach to them like bleak inlet or are very descriptive like coastal highway. But does it include the places with a family name in them ? (like thomson's crossing, with the thomson's stew...)
Is it possible they remember them ? Or a bit of both ?

In Episode 1 of Wintermute Story Mode, Will mentions that his dad used to fly to the island on a regular basis in the past, so if you are roleplaying as Will or even as Astrid in Survival Mode- it would be reasonable to think that they might have some familiarity with the island locations and their names because of stories his Dad told h them, or his notes on the island from his past flights there.

If you roleplay as a character you make up on your own and create their own backstory- you can decide for yourself how and why they know different names locations as they find them. My current character (one of several, actually) is Janelle. I decided she would be a caver and backpacker who was going to the island with friends to do some exploring, since they knew the island would be mostly deserted, allowing them free access to all of the climbs and caves and camping areas. But their plane crashed before they were able to land, and the group got split up. They know the island from researching it and planning their routes to the various caves and climbs they wanted to do, but one of her mates has the only map they brought with them. She is trying to find her friends, and recognizes different places as she discovers them from remembering the notes they had put together on where they wanted to go, and what they wanted to see, but she is wandering a bit lost since she doesn't have the map or her notes. Her current goal is to try to get to the airfield to see if any of her friends made it there- it was supposed to be where they landed to start their adventures.

So- you can decide what your character's story is. why they are on the island, and how they know or discover the names of places they find. There's lots of loose papers and newspapers lying around, maybe your survivor found the name of the place on one of those. You decide.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

@Quinine

In terms of Will and/or Astrid in the context of Survival Mode... 
We know that Survival takes place after the events of the Wintermute Story Mode, so we know they get to be very familiar with Great Bear by the time Survival Mode takes place.  The lore and backstory suggested by the prologue cutscene seems to suggest that they are at least somewhat familiar with Great Bear Island long before the first flare (perhaps they'd each spent time on the island in the past also).

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

I agree that the railroad station in Transfer Pass is very soothing, though it's objectively not a great place to stay for too long on account of scarce resources and no bed.  The mountaineer's hut in TWM is probably my favorite long-term den.

But: my least stressful place has got to be the Forestry Lookout in ML.  I love being able to look out the windows on all sides as the weather comes in, and sit snug and cozy in front of a fire with a bowl of rabbit stew and a good book while the snow is coming down hard.  Again, not super practical since you have to haul everything uphill, but the views and atmosphere make it my favorite spot for a sabbatical.

• Upvote 3

Camp Office in ML is really good as stress-free spot, but I felt the most peaceful one was maybe Lonely Lighthouse in Desolation Point.

Perhaps because it is (almost) the last place on a side of the map, and facing the sea.

It is possible that the "Hopeless Rescue" challenge had an influence on this as, after that, I also choose to end "Nomad" and "Archivist" challenges at this same place.

Summit in Timberwolf Mountain has also something peaceful. I'm not familiar enough with the rest of the map to mention other specific ones, but I remember a few spots in regions having a more "difficult" reputation (Hushed River Valley or Ash Canyon, maybe) which actually seems to be rather quiet, and maybe good for a longer stay.

Anything but Pleasant Valley ^^

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

My personal "most comfy" place is Monolith Lake in Hushed River Valley. I feel more so than anywhere else in game, this location feels desolate and secluded, being so distant from any form of civilization. I'm actually a little dissapointed that

Spoiler

Tales from the Far Territory added bunkers and a plane crash to HRV, I rather enjoyed it being the only truly "wilderness" region in TLD

Yeah, The Ravine is definitely very comfy, though with the addition of Cougars it's comfy-o-meter is diminished in my eyes lol. Spent many a comfy 'Loper run wiggling between back and forth the west-most Ravine cave, rabbits, birch, murdering a deer now and again, and then back to the nearby Trailer in Mystery Lake or Carter for a workbench.

I also find the Quonset very comfy, less so for the countless awoos outside, and more-so that it's so gigantic with it's storage, fire barrel, bed, crafting table. I love hauling back crap to Quonset: restocking it's shelves, filling all it's containers with crap, plonking down Rock Caches outside for even more crap, shoving even more crap into nearby car trunks. It's also got a fishing hut nearby and you can step out the back and climb into the pickup truck to deal with Cabin Fever (or torment the bear/moose). Maybe a weird definition of "comfy" but I find the whole of Great Bear's resources within arm's reach late-game in a run being very comfy.