Your least stressful area?

hozz1235

Mystery Lake just always feels like home for me on Great Bear Island.
Timberwolf Mountain is my favorite place to live.

In both places I always feel at ease.  I know where I am, I know all the ways to get where I want to go... and where I need to tread with careful respect. 🤭

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 6

Clearly Ravine for absence of wildlife threats and scares, but I found my experience at Bricklayers's Retreat in Blackrock very peaceful, except for the eventual moose, there are rabbits and deer and wolves don't prowl the lake. I also spent a very peaceful few days at Creek bed Cave although without as much abundance of food.

• Upvote 1

I have agro off so doggies are not a problem. For me it is the weather since I amp that up a bit. With that said, I think I find CH and TWM the most peaceful for long term survival. Food is plentiful and there is really no pressure to do anything if I don't want to that day. Mystery Lake is also quite nice at Trappers. Feels like home but I soon get bored of it. Ravine is pleasant living out of the cave. I wish Hinterland would extend Ravine with some more accessible area under the Trestle Bridge that maybe has a dirt road down to a small coastal bay with one small cabin and a fishing hut. I would love to make that my crib for a while.

On the opposite end, I can't tolerate BI for long due to the constant freezing wind. BRM is a bit nasty too although I like Bricklayer's for a while. FA is brutal! Can't stay there for long. 

2 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

Hmmm… probably Paradise Meadows. Yes, it has a resident wolf pack, but I like to think of them as guard dogs :D.

That's my favorite long-term home too just for the aesthetics, and the terrain has some neat little features that can let you corral those wolves by exploiting their AI in such a way that they line up for slaughter. One of those "easy to do, hard to explain" things. I posted a little joke picture a while back of some wolves that had died in the exact same spot but with their legs in slightly different positions, making them look like some kind of mutant spider.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

…some wolves that had died in the exact same spot but with their legs in slightly different positions, making them look like some kind of mutant spider.

That started me thinking of that scene from The Thing  when the husky first transforms :D.

Crystal lake on TWM. There's always food nearby be it wolves, deer, bear, or moose. There's the ability to fish right out the door, and the building with the workbench just makes it so easy to use that area to survive. Granted you might need to bring a little matieral with you (metal, cloth, ect.), but I always feel at ease there. Gorgeous views as well.

• Upvote 1

On 5/26/2023 at 12:26 PM, Leeanda said:

Lonely meadow cabin in mystery lake

Where is this? I keep looking for it on maps, but no success...
Is this the single cabin between unnamed pond and clear cut? or?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AdamvR said:

Where is this? I keep looking for it on maps, but no success...
Is this the single cabin between unnamed pond and clear cut? or?

Yes it is that little cabin.  @ManicManiac came up with the name and I think it's very apt so it's kind of stuck, at least with me anyway.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Yes it is that little cabin.  @ManicManiac came up with the name and I think it's very apt so it's kind of stuck, at least with me anyway.

Thanks! That cabin indeed is lovely - I apparently have missed on the Christening:)
I usually meet a bear there though, no moose... (the latter usually shows up near Trapper's for me)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AdamvR said:

Thanks! That cabin indeed is lovely - I apparently have missed on the Christening:)
I usually meet a bear there though, no moose... (the latter usually shows up near Trapper's for me)

That bear is more common for me too.  If I'm lucky I get both there.   Its quite cosy cooking them up and still being able to watch the bunnies running around.😊.   

You're lucky to get the trappers moose though, he's usually pretty rare.

• Upvote 1

It just seemed like a place that needed a name but didn't have one... so just started referring to it as the Lonely Meadow.
It's by no means official in any way at all... but it's at least my headcanon.  

I'd love for the name to be adopted by the community if not by Hinterland too.  🤭

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

It just seemed like a place that needed a name but didn't have one... so just started referring to it as the Lonely Meadow.
It's by no means official in any way at all... but it's at least my headcanon.  

I'd love for the name to be adopted by the community if not by Hinterland too.  🤭

I've managed narrowing it down based on the descriptions - so pretty apt name, I'd agree:)
Would also vote on making it official - should anyone ever ask my opinion...;-)

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

... on the original question:
- the area between Climber's Cave - Pillar's Footrest - Stoneshelf Cave in Ash Canyon, almost always wolf-free, while moose rich:) perfect place to heal your ribs...;-)
- the Summit: I usually have my longest burning fire at the back of the plane, as I'm reading, tearing up clothes and mending others, eating and enjoying the view on Top of the World for days in a row (even less stuff to carry down;-))
- on the Pier in BI: an island of calmth in the sea of anxious cries... 

Edited by AdamvR
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

+1 the Hangar area in Forsaken Airfield. In my Stalker run I had two wolfpacks nearby (2-3 by the river, and 3-4 on the further end of the runway), but they did not come to the hangar area. Not even when I was carrying my week-long supply from the nearby luxury deer buffet (usually 2 stags + 2 does). Also there are plenty of safely accessible sticks nearby, and can easily fill up on plant based goodies as well. Not to mention the crafting opportunities and ample materials available. I could easily spend there longer times between trips to the various other areas of the region.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, AdamvR said:

the Summit: I usually have my longest burning fire at the back of the plane, as I'm reading, tearing up clothes and mending others, eating and enjoying the view on Top of the World for days in a row (even less stuff to carry down;-))

That's actually a really good, safe spot too.  No wildlife, but plenty of wood, and like you said, great view!

• Upvote 1

There are multiple areas for me...

In my longest run before the reset I took shelter in Trappers Cabin, and there and the surrounding area was always so nice and calm despite the occasional blizzards, not to mention little threat from animals.

There's also something about Anglers Den in Ash Canyon... Yeah, Ash Canyon is not forgiving, and there are wolves nearby, however the views of the towering canyon, the compact nature of the frozen creek, and the overall emptiness of Ash Canyon makes Anglers Den a very comforting cabin.

Finally, there is Lonely Lighthouse in Desolation Point. As with Anglers Den, there are wolves nearby, however that isn't much of a problem in Voyager, or Stalker. I see the lighthouse as a beacon of hope in the empty world of The Long Dark. There is also sentimental value, as that is where I ended my longest run before the reset. I brought all that I had collected, and shot out a hundred rounds of ammo and sent a signal flare into the sky as I faded into the long dark.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 4