Home sweet home

Sus-wolf

What is your favorite place to stay?

plenty of people have made posts like this before but I’m doing it again.

I have always loved Pleasant Valley, Coastal highway, and Timber wolf mountain. 

I also enjoy Ash Canyon but the lack of supplies and long distances to get supplies can be a bit much sometimes, when I just want to chill.

I recently thought it would be fun to base in broken rail road but decided otherwise within 3 in game days and I am currently headed back towards coastal highway.

Definitely the camp office in Mystery Lake. Good weather there, easy access to fishing huts, rabbit area nearby for snares, and the path behind the building leads to a little area with limbs and sticks. There are also deer that sometimes spawn on the lake, and the wolves that spawn there are generally easy to get around.  The bear on the lake is easy to kill as well with the fishing huts nearby. Two stoves inside the office and a workbench. If necessary, the forge in FM is not too far away. 

I also like Coastal Highway as well (specifically, the garage). However, I've lost a couple really promising Interloper runs there, so not my choice for Interloper anymore. I still go there on lower difficulties though. 

I like mountaineers hut in TWM the best. Fishing, moose, occasional bear comes nearby,  plenty of deer and rabbits, and lots of wood that re spawns. It’s just so much fun exploring that mountain, it never gets old. 
My next fave is between Quonset hut or jack rabbit island. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pencil said:

Definitely the camp office in Mystery Lake. Good weather there, easy access to fishing huts, rabbit area nearby for snares, and the path behind the building leads to a little area with limbs and sticks. There are also deer that sometimes spawn on the lake, and the wolves that spawn there are generally easy to get around.  The bear on the lake is easy to kill as well with the fishing huts nearby. Two stoves inside the office and a workbench. If necessary, the forge in FM is not too far away. 

I also like Coastal Highway as well (specifically, the garage). However, I've lost a couple really promising Interloper runs there, so not my choice for Interloper anymore. I still go there on lower difficulties though. 

I’ve spent my share of time in the camp office. I love lining the 2nd floor railing with used cans. Adds a bit of personality.

Coastal highway garage is also a favorite. The wolves definitely become a problem though.

4 hours ago, Pencil said:

I suggest staying at fishing camp rather that quonset in CH on interloper.  Far, far, far less surprise wolf attacks as it’s much more visibility plus much fewer wolves and you have way easier access to rabbits bear deer and coal and beachcombing. 
 Quonset is a death trap.  There is no advantage to staying there. 
   You can literally live indefinitely making a route between the rabbits directly across the street over the hill near bear creek and the ones under the bridge, deer on the ice,  MASSIVE amounts of coal from the cave to PV and the mine, and fishing every 3 days to stave off cabin fever, and make a beachcombing run. 
  Rinse and repeat indefinitely. I have enough resources with one of my 1500 day interloper character to live another 1500 days without having to hunt, fish, boil water or collect fuel.  

Edited by Lord of the Long Dark

11 hours ago, Lord of the Long Dark said:

I suggest staying at fishing camp rather that quonset in CH on interloper.  Far, far, far less surprise wolf attacks as it’s much more visibility plus much fewer wolves and you have way easier access to rabbits bear deer and coal and beachcombing. 
   You can literally live indefinitely making a route between the rabbits directly across the street over the hill near bear creek and the ones under the bridge, deer on the ice,  MASSIVE amounts of coal from the cave to PV and the mine, and fishing every 3 days to stave off cabin fever, and make a beachcombing run. 
  Rinse and repeat indefinitely. I have enough resources with one of my 1500 day interloper character to live another 1500 days without having to hunt, fish, boil water or collect fuel.  

I do like that area, but my only problem is the workbench is outside. You need a fire going on interloper to craft there, and the bear comes by every now and then too. I didn't consider the fact that you can get coal from the mine there, so that is nice. 

I like the garage because of the work bench and moose spawn. Easy to hunt the moose in that area too. But I would definitely stay at the fishing camp rather than garage on Interloper. 

4 minutes ago, Pencil said:

I do like that area, but my only problem is the workbench is outside. You need a fire going on interloper to craft there, and the bear comes by every now and then too. I didn't consider the fact that you can get coal from the mine there, so that is nice. 

I like the garage because of the work bench and moose spawn. Easy to hunt the moose in that area too. But I would definitely stay at the fishing camp rather than garage on Interloper. 

Yeah the outside workbench is the biggest detraction by far. A couple strategies on that-

I don’t work at that bench when I expect the bear is close to spawning. Even if I did, you can leverage the “flaw” that the bear won’t attack while you are working at it - he just goes on his path and you’ll see him just go by in the time lapse. So you are actually much safer working at the bench for 3 hours than for 30 minutes at a time “checking for him” constantly. But I usually do my workbench crafting right after killing the bear.
    The other thing is you can amass so much wood and fuel that fire for the bench is not a concern. 
  The final thing is I used to always use the moose hide coat for protection but I found the warmth of double bear coat far outweighed the moose hide. Many times in late afternoon if you have double bear and new clothing conditions it’s plenty warm enough you don’t need the fire to craft for several hours each evening. 

15 minutes ago, Pencil said:

I do like that area, but my only problem is the workbench is outside. You need a fire going on interloper to craft there, and the bear comes by every now and then too

You can also place a snow shelter close enough to use the workbench from within the shelter.  I wouldn't count on it helping if a bear shows up, but it certainly helps for staying warm while crafting.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lord of the Long Dark said:

Yeah the outside workbench is the biggest detraction by far. A couple strategies on that-

I don’t work at that bench when I expect the bear is close to spawning. Even if I did, you can leverage the “flaw” that the bear won’t attack while you are working at it - he just goes on his path and you’ll see him just go by in the time lapse. So you are actually much safer working at the bench for 3 hours than for 30 minutes at a time “checking for him” constantly. But I usually do my workbench crafting right after killing the bear.
    The other thing is you can amass so much wood and fuel that fire for the bench is not a concern. 
  The final thing is I used to always use the moose hide coat for protection but I found the warmth of double bear coat far outweighed the moose hide. Many times in late afternoon if you have double bear and new clothing conditions it’s plenty warm enough you don’t need the fire to craft for several hours each evening. 

Ok, I'll give this place a shot at some point, if I can drag my Interloper run out of the Camp Office lol. 

Bears are very interesting in this game... I'm not surprised that you can craft without him attacking you. I had this happen to me a while back shortly after the Vigilant Flame update: 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lord of the Long Dark said:

It does have some things going for it. Lots of storage (which is something that's lacking at the fishing camp). Lots of sticks. A possible moose spawn that's very easy to hunt. Indoor crafting. Stuff to break down in the houses. The coal mine is close by.

It's dangerous, yes, but manageable. The wolves aren't always in town. Most of the time they are out on the ice. It adds some unpredictability, but you can also just kill them and then you'll have peace for some time. I think it's a nice balance of risk and reward. People need to try and make up their own mind if it's worth it.

It's Stalker where I avoid the place. Not Interloper. One Interloper game I actually made great use of the wolves by using them to make my two wolf coats. Otherwise I often commute between it and the fishing camp.

Edited by Serenity

20 hours ago, Pencil said:

I've heard that more than once now - looks like I've made an early lopper mistake - why's Garage not the best option?

22 minutes ago, Corso said:

I've heard that more than once now - looks like I've made an early lopper mistake - why's Garage not the best option?

It's not necessarily a mistake. Don't take everyone's preferences as gospel. You can live there for weeks. You can even use it earlier on to hunt wolves for your coat. It's just that the Fishing Camp is safer.

Contrary to the popular story, the town site isn't crawling with wolves on Interloper. They mostly stay out on the ice and every now and then one or two will take a stroll through town. The problem is that this is completely unpredictable and that the sight lines are really bad. Lots of snow berms, small hills and other features that can hide them. So you always have to be careful when leaving and approaching the town as you don't know where they are exactly. And cooking attracts them - but that's also true of other places, including Jackrabbit's Island.

It's risky, but it can be managed. Cull the wolves and it can be peaceful enough. Same in an other place really. It's perfectly fine to live in wolf infested places like the Cannery or Milton as long as you kill them regularly and don't get too complacent while they're away. Especially with a high archery skill later on when you can reliably one shot almost all wolves.

Sure, from a purely risk based assessment other places are better. But ultimately it's a matter of taste and how comfortable you are playing with the wolves. They aren't that hard to deal with if you know what you're doing. If the wolves aren't annoying you too much, you don't have to shun the place.

Edited by Serenity

The garage is a good interface to Desolation Point for crafting arrow heads and heading back to coastal highway with less time. You can also go to pleasant valley, caves and have more loot around. The garage has also much much more space. You can hear the wolves, if they are nearby and use the hills as well to hide from them. The cars, and houses nearby can be used to flee easily. Just if you go outside, the first 10 seconds wolves make no sounds and can surprise you.

Currently I spawn in Timberwolf Mountain, getting some tools and get a moose and Trekking Backpack in Ash Canyon. After that I go to Bleak Inlet and repair every tool I can and craft ammunition (Stalker difficulty).

The Mountain Town with Hushed River Valley is a nice place to settle down. Alot to climb and hunt without extreme weather. Makes fun.

I have said it before and I still gravitate there for at least some of every run... I did a lot of my 500 day run there...

The cave above Mystery Lake by the camp office... rabbits on your doorstep, limbs, sticks.. close to fishing, hunting, crafting table nearby.... and the view is hard to beat

Oh, I did not mean to say that the CH garage is a terrible base for everyone, I was just saying its bad for me. I jump whenever I hear a wolf bark super close by, and sometimes will click my mouse on accident. I was holding a bow once on Interloper when that happened. I left clicked on accident, causing the wolf to charge. I lost the battle. 

CH garage is actually really good if you can get around the wolves. I agree that they mostly stay on the ice anyways. Sometimes the bear can sneak up on you though, so watch out for that as well. 

On 10/13/2021 at 11:14 PM, Pencil said:

Oh, I did not mean to say that the CH garage is a terrible base for everyone, I was just saying its bad for me.

Didn't take it that way, but as someone who's only just starting out as a loper, I've learned almost all of the maps without the need for one and done alot of reading

its often mentioned that Garage isn't the best place to live,

@Serenity has explained the setup very clearly and put it in perspective

On 10/12/2021 at 5:50 PM, MrWolf said:

You can also place a snow shelter close enough to use the workbench from within the shelter.  I wouldn't count on it helping if a bear shows up, but it certainly helps for staying warm while crafting.

Through out all the countless days I spent there I have never considered that. Thats brillant. Thanks dude ☠️

Overall CH is the safest region to dwell in. On clear days you can see the whole zone and cause of the narrow design it is impossible to get lost on bad days. Also there is access to an insane amount of stuff. 
But in general you can live everywhere. If you have a camping play style I would actually ask the question the other way around. What is the worst place to stay? The summit or BR ravine? Maybe? 

Edited by Sir Major M.oos.E Sr.

I like Coastal Highway, living in one of the cabins across the road from the Quonset Garage. I am a low intensity, casual, intermittent player, playing on Pilgrim. For some reason, no idea why, I really enjoy the fishing activity in the game, and Coastal Highway is the best for that. There is something truly satisfying in catching salmon. This no way equates to anything in real life-- where I do not fish and do not like to eat fish, and certainly not salmon.  I am still wandering around figuring out maps, etc. What I do not like are transition zones--I realize those were set up to be challenging-- but for me the challenge is too tedious and boring-- its not what I want to do, so I avoid them. I have left any number of runs with a char stuck in a transition zone because I just could not be bothered to figure it out.

A long time ago I used to play Stalker mode and be a Trapper's Cabin addict. These days I prefer to be a homeless wanderer. I have regional bases, drop off locations, holiday spots if you like. But the big problem for me is if I stay somewhere more than a week I get really bored and stop playing the game for months because it all turns into a routine for me. There are places I do enjoy, such as the cave in Ravine near the train tracks, Community Hall and Signal Hill in PV,  Mountaineer's Hut in TWM, cave in the climbing area near Milton is quite pleasant too, very pretty when an aurora is out. 

For me home is the small campsites I make on my journey and that's really the thing for me I love the travelling, so some days I might travel through a couple of regions just to climb Timberwolf again for the sake of it, although I wish it was even higher than it is. I play Voyageur these days because I just want to relax and because it suits my spontaneous playstyle. 

• Upvote 1

My favorite place to stay has always been Coastal Highway, in the fishing village. It's relatively safe, and has plenty of resources nearby. For extensive crafting, I always make the 1-day journey to Ravine/Carter Hydro Dam. Here you can craft during the day, and sleep in the cave in Ravine to avoid cabin fever. And the forge in desolation point is 1 or 2 days away.

Whenever I am away in some other region for an extended period of time, I am always looking forward to go back to the coast.

• Upvote 2

Its awesome to see how many people like playing on pilgrim and voyager to relax. I do the same when Stalker gets too exciting for the week XD.

I am also surprised at how many people talk about living out of the caves and smaller locations. I usually think of the caves as one night locations that I leave quickly. Although they definitely add a certain element to the long dark.

Camp Office-I like Mystery Lake, ı like visiting dam, going to the like houses, fishing and coming back my true home. 
Community Hall-Coastal Highway is my second favourite region. Pleasant Valley is very large but has much potential loot and ı like to hang out despite of the blizzards. Farmstead has better location but ı like jumping from one region to another so Community Hall would be my best choice. 
Angler’s Den-Ash Canyon is such a beautiful region. Yes crampons and  backpack is my first reason for going this region but ı like this place and ı wished we had played story mode here, ıt would be cool with gold mine and crampons. Anyway Anglers Den is one of my favourite place and frequently ı stay here when i am in Ash Canyon. This place has just one little problem for me-always so loud because of waterfalls.