Interloper tips please

Jynxer

Hey all. I’m jumping from pilgrim to loper ( been playing awhile so I know game mechanics). But I’d like some tips please. 

I made my first loper run a bit easier. I turned off cabin fever , and no wolves, just to get used to everything else. ( I have all badges so making a custom game isn’t hindering any progress)

im wondering about the starvation trick ppl talk about. So, I eat 750 cals  before bed... but do I eat anything at all when I wake up? What if my condition isn’t fully restored when I wake up? 

• Upvote 1

It depends. You need some practice to judge that. The condition loss from starving isn't huge. But freezing costs you condition at a far greater rate. On occasion you'll be outside more than usual and you may want to eat a bit to compensate for that. But it's not a regular thing.

However, contrary to what some people think you you don't need to overdo it with the starvation. At least later on. There is tons of food available. You don't have to agonize over eating some cat tails if you want to eat a bit more. And once you can hunt there will be loads of meat. If you slavishly starve it will just pile up.

Also, cabin fever isn't a big deal outside of extensive crafting sessions.

What if my condition isn’t fully restored when I wake up?

You don't have be at 100% each morning. 80-100% is fine. Over time you'll learn how much certain activities cost you. If you're low from a heavy day of exploring or an animal attack you can take it light. Maybe eat a bit and craft or cook water.

Edited by Serenity

One major thing to be aware of , is that on higher difficulties a fire does not begin warming you up as soon as the fire is lit.

You will need to overcome the current temperature first. 

I.e if its -20°c, then you will need to keep adding fuel until your fire is at or above that temperature.

So my advice is always carry a piece of coal for emergencies. 

5 hours ago, Jynxer said:

Hey all. I’m jumping from pilgrim to loper ( been playing awhile so I know game mechanics). But I’d like some tips please. 

I made my first loper run a bit easier. I turned off cabin fever , and no wolves, just to get used to everything else. ( I have all badges so making a custom game isn’t hindering any progress)

im wondering about the starvation trick ppl talk about. So, I eat 750 cals  before bed... but do I eat anything at all when I wake up? What if my condition isn’t fully restored when I wake up? 

you might find some useful tips on this old thread too:

16 hours ago, Jynxer said:

im wondering about the starvation trick ppl talk about. So, I eat 750 cals  before bed... but do I eat anything at all when I wake up?

750 calories (or 5 cattails) is the bare minimum for a full 10-hour sleep on Interloper but you can definitely eat more than that if things permit. For example, when you wake up to a blizzard or it's too early and cold to travel, you can eat a bit more and then get a couple of hours into a skill book.

The main thing here as a newcomer to Interloper is to know how to ration your food during early game, at least before you can craft the bow and arrow. Well Fed from Day 1 is certainly possible but there's no point trying to keep eating during the day if you can't even gather enough food to maintain the buff.

Late to the party so I'm going to assume all the basic stuff has been covered. If it hasn't already been mentioned, try to carry a burning torch at all times, and use stones as distraction devices. If you don't know how to effectively use stones, maybe don't jump straight to Interloper just yet. Stones are best used when you don't know the wolf is even there yet. i.e. as a pre-emptive move to flush them out into the open, before they get a chance to ambush you around a blind corner. If you can make it to say day ~100 on Stalker without a single wolf struggle, I'd say you're in good shape. Wolves are so numerous on Stalker that making it that far without getting attacked once means your stone kung fu is strong.

Thanks guys. I do have wolves turned off for this run so I can get used to the weather and lack of loot lol and I’m glad I did. I got attacked by a glitchy bear ( appeared out of nowhere in front of me already ready to charge) he took all my clothes except for thermal undies lol. Then I realized that I had no old man ( dumb mistake) and came really close to death. But here I am in day 10 in a bra and thermals running around the world trying to find clothes lol. I did make a hat and had some ratty gloves in my pack though. 

I am using a lot of torches, I’m wondering if bears run away if a torch is thrown at them? Or does it really tick them off? Too scared to try it! What about flares (not flare gun reg flares)? 

it’s definitely more exciting playing at higher levels, even if I tweaked it a bit. I just wanted to test the loper waters. Next run wolves will be turned on for sure! 

5 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

try to carry a burning torch at all times

Not needed at all. You should know that lighting a torch can't fail (so light a torch first and then the fire) and that you can carry around a fire with torches. But the latter is also situational. Even on Interloper there are so many matches that you can be a bit wasteful with them and still play for several hundred days.

1 hour ago, Serenity said:

Not needed at all. You should know that lighting a torch can't fail (so light a torch first and then the fire) and that you can carry around a fire with torches. But the latter is also situational. Even on Interloper there are so many matches that you can be a bit wasteful with them and still play for several hundred days.

Torches are really helpful. They give You a 3 degree temperature bonus and hold wolfs at bay. Just do not step into their range, if they have stopped and are snarling at You.

Edited by mfuegemann
typo

8 hours ago, Serenity said:

Not needed no, but if you CAN carry a lit torch, you may as well do so. It provides nothing but benefits, like extra insurance against wolves, a slight warmth buff, and then chain your torches to extend the previous night's campfire into the next day's interior exploration without spending additional matches. Of course your luck won't last forever and eventually that torch will blow out, but may as well make the effort y'know?

12 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

Of course your luck won't last forever and eventually that torch will blow out, but may as well make the effort y'know?

Sure, sometimes. I just dislike telling people that that need to carry one everywhere, every time. It suggests that this is something that's needed for success, even if you don't intend that. As a specific playstyle that's fine, but there are other ways to play to game.

It can also be situational. I usually carry torches for long trips like going from ML to CH, ML to FM or FM to BR. But otherwise it's easy to do without.

Interloper is fantastic - you're going to have lots of adventures! I say DO jump into interloper full - fail fast, learn fast. Its a different game to stalker.

IMHO the biggest challenge is warmth, especially early game, so here are my tips:

• Pick up every stick you pass
  • Don't travel in the coldest part of the day (either side of dawn). Plan travel for the afternoon and don't be afraid to travel late into the evening/night.  
  • When travelling, travel light and try to have a full rest bar. You'll move faster and cover more ground before getting cold or caught by bad weather.
  • Chain torches between fires. Don't forget, that 3 degree torch bonus means you can actually get two degree more warmth from a fire by taking a torch out to hold as you stand fireside. 
  • If you can stop for a warming fire by a deer carcass you can get a meal and get warm.
  • Taking an hour's nap on your bedroll by a warming fire gives you both a little energy from rest plus the energy you would have spent being awake - it all adds up. 
  • Hot drinks have a big effect, use them if possible when you travel. If you've two hot drinks: drink 75% of one as you set off. When the warming up effect wears off, the other should still be hot and give you a further full warming up effect charge.

You can do it! And lastly, push yourself to move as fast as you can early game to get loot and free calories. At someone else's recommendation, I learnt Loper by focusing on looting Timberwolf Mountain by day 10. Its great fun :)

Edited by Stone
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Stone said:
  • Hot drinks have a big effect, use them if possible when you travel. If you've two hot drinks: drink 75% of one as you set off. When the warming up effect wears off, the other should still be hot and give you a further full warming up effect charge.

Why drink 75% of the hot drink?  I've seen some streamers drink smaller amounts of a tea, but I don't understand the purpose.  Is it because you can still get the healing from the leftover bit of reishi or rosehip tea?  Or do you get a full warmth bonus for drinking a little bit of a hot drink?

@MrWolf So I suggested 75% as I find a drink stays hot almost as long as a full charge of 'warming up' lasts. How long an effect lasts is, I believe, determined by how much you consumed. (Great to know if its effected by anything else). So if you drink most of a hot drink then the effect should expire before your other hot drink goes cold. Like a handy timer. 

I enjoy a good night-time travel sometimes too, and it's true that the best time to travel in Interloper is from about 11AM to 11PM or so. Keep in mind, though, night traveling has its own dangers too. I don't recommend doing it myself unless the weather is halfways decent. Fog at night can make navigation extremely difficult, and a night-time blizzard is pretty much the worst thing to travel in.

And when traveling at night, watch out for the nighttime wolves.  You might have cleared the wolves in an area that day, or think you're in an area that normally does not have wolves, but different wolves can be around after dark.

11 hours ago, Glflegolas said:

I enjoy a good night-time travel sometimes too, and it's true that the best time to travel in Interloper is from about 11AM to 11PM or so. Keep in mind, though, night traveling has its own dangers too. I don't recommend doing it myself unless the weather is halfways decent. Fog at night can make navigation extremely difficult, and a night-time blizzard is pretty much the worst thing to travel in.

I love travelling in a blizzard or fog Storm at Night. You have to be focused to navigate through succesfully. Plus its a great feeling when you eventually reached your destination and an Even better one if you have to sit down in a semi sheltered spot and wait it out on your last piece of Coal.  
anyways, starving is Not neccesary. There are enough cattails and cans in the world for the first100 days. And well fed and a good full condition bar let you travel longer in the cold.

the most Important thing i can advice is dont be afraid of dying even if you are on day 499. Dying is every lopers life. Do what has to be done when it has to be done. Push as far as possible to the limit and beyond. Astrid and Will can take a whole lot more than one would think. ☠️

Edited by Sir Major M.oos.E Sr.

On 7/18/2021 at 12:31 PM, Stone said:

@MrWolf So I suggested 75% as I find a drink stays hot almost as long as a full charge of 'warming up' lasts. How long an effect lasts is, I believe, determined by how much you consumed. (Great to know if its effected by anything else). So if you drink most of a hot drink then the effect should expire before your other hot drink goes cold. Like a handy timer. 

And you can drink only 99% of a medical tea (except birch bark) so you get a very light medical tea. The teas medical effect  doesn't depends on the quantity!