Interloper difficulty is too easy

GreenWind

4 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

But how efficient are the weight vs calorie? You need to carry quite a handful to get full stomach. Not that you interloper players ever have full stomachs😂sorry

Very efficient. They weigh .05kg (.11lb) and pack 150 calories. They're right there with condensed milk, ketchup chips, granola bars, and sardines, all coming in at 3000cal/kg or 1364 cal/lb

Edited by wilsonaka
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, amelbeabk said:

and knowledge about where items spawned. And there was knowing where the right items spawned, and all that..

Spawn location knowledge certainly helps, but it's not absolutely necessary. If you move between major locations and loot them you will usually get everything you need. There are multiple hacksaws, heavy hammers, bedrolls and mag lenses. So missing one of them isn't the end of the world. And most of them aren't in obscure places.

Map knowledge is also about knowing the shortest routes, wolf locations to be careful at or avoid, knowing caves or huts you can warm up in etc.

Moving past the whole OP issue of reloading saves, which doesn't need touched on further, to talk about difficulty levels.

I don't they will add another.  The % of people who play Interloper is low and the % of people who find Loper not too challenging is even lower. This percentage isn't reflected in such things as the forums here, because people who play a lot of hours have a greater chance to both being in those percentages and being on the forums.  

That said, deadman is a great challenge, but I think in some way it detracts from the natural nature of the game.  It feels a little inorganic and times and it takes a lot of cautious play and limiting exploration.  You take some damage going through a waterfall and since you can't ever get it back you shouldn't ever go through a waterfall.  Those types of scenarios I think it presents a little.

What I and some others have talked about is really a "True Loper" setting you can use in custom that puts recovery to low for both awake/sleep (instead of medium), increases all the pred settings like detection, and reduces the plant spawn (in interloper there are A LOT of cattails and reishis as was discussed above).  Everything else is Interloper settings.  No rifle or revolver - just bow.  However,  you can also add an extra twist by adding rifle (but no revolver), but requiring a fix at the milling machine before it can be used (basically the firearm version of forging).  That's an interesting thing too because I think it adds a reason to visit Bleak Inlet, which is often too much risk for reward in harder difficulties with only bow.

RE food. Besides beach combing, rabbit snaring is technically the only "infinite source" of calories, as even with fishing one could (theoretically) run out of scrap in day 29,753. Not that it's much of a danger... anyway, regarding cat tails, there are indeed millions of tonnes of em even on Interloper, as for some reason the settings make harvestable plants high in quantity... it's weird. And now Ash Canyon brought million more too, in addition to huge amounts of birch samplings and reishis

Edited by Mistral

On 2/28/2021 at 7:13 AM, LoneWolf5841 said:

Forgot about fishing, cattails on the other hand I never considered due to their low calorie count, they are great in a pinch but for long term survival not so much. Fishing on the other hand is viable. 

Dont you need gut to make the line though? So after a while you would have to hunt to make fishing line. 

1 hour ago, metlman72 said:

Dont you need gut to make the line though? So after a while you would have to hunt to make fishing line. 

Yes, though you can trap rabbits for guts, which is infinite. To make snares to trap rabbits, you only need reclaimed wood and a gut. You get the wood back when harvesting a ruined trap

Edited by darkscaryforest
  • Upvote 1

On 2/28/2021 at 10:27 AM, Looper said:

While I agree with this post it always comes back to the fact that the interloper experience stagnates to soon. The trouble being the short "tech tree" and the ease of keeping the meters up when you learn a few tricks. 

Hinterland did a good job of adding some nes gameplay elements while not demotivating players. (well fed buff, sprains mechanics) and they also got rid of the worst game exploits. The new maps are cool and diverse.

I feel that what the game could use is one or mere new mid game related meters or conditions (like sanity). The game world has a lot of items already that could be used to this (paper, books, churches, pictures).  Also eating nothing but meat should trigger some condition promoting finding vegetables and fruits.  

Also the cooling of the game world should include indoors and caves. The cave temperature bonus should be removed.

Yes... very much true... Interloper also bursts of claims of exceedingly colder climate and fewer animals, both of which are kind of true, but not really. The temperatures max out circa 50 days and by that point you already likely have all the animal clothing you need, rarely does one even need warning up teas.. plus obviously the indoor temps never change. As for the animals, meh there's still a huge excess amount of them, especially when you do the starvation technique

Edited by Mistral

2 hours ago, darkscaryforest said:

Yes, though you can trap rabbits for guts, which is infinite. To make snares to trap rabbits, you only need reclaimed wood and a gut. You get the wood back when harvesting a ruined trap

Don't even have to trap them it's easier to just stun them with a rock.

30 minutes ago, LoneWolf5841 said:

Don't even have to trap them it's easier to just stun them with a rock.

You get a lot more with traps. You can easily have twice as many rabbits with traps than are actually running around in an area

32 minutes ago, Serenity said:

You get a lot more with traps. You can easily have twice as many rabbits with traps than are actually running around in an area

That's true but even "normal" rabbits will probably still respawn faster than it takes for your fishing tackles to break, even on loper...

Edited by Mistral

Yeah there was just talk on a stream tonight that the bunny trap engine could use a bit of adjusting IMO.  There has to be an endpoint for the rabbits just popping into reality from the ether to be trapped.  They are basically not traps, but generators.  Also to change gears, variation in wolf behavior could use touching up as well.  Torch tossing, fires, flares etc work every non-aurora time.

Edited by dbmurph22

15 hours ago, Serenity said:

Is that actually the case? I've used traps and they seems extremely slow in comparison to just stunning rabbits.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, LoneWolf5841 said:

Is that actually the case? I've used traps and they seems extremely slow in comparison to just stunning rabbits.

Here's the thing: There are a finite amount of spawned rabbits in a grove, so say there's 2, you can only get 2 from stunning with rocks until they respawn.  Traps, on the other-hand are not dependent on the actual rabbits in the area.  You can place 12 traps and get 5 rabbits overnight, so long as the traps are located in the rabbit grove.

Edited by wilsonaka
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, LoneWolf5841 said:

You get several rabbits each day. I don't see how that is slow. There is only a delay when you first set up the traps. Every other day you collect your rabbits and set down the traps again. Then you return the next day.

Just now, wilsonaka said:

You can place 12 traps and get 5 rabbits overnight, so long as the traps are located in the rabbit grove.

Yeah this is probably my problem I have a bad habit of not wanting to carry and set up so many traps so I only placed 1 last time I used them and in hindsight it probably would be pretty slow with just 1 trap lol