Interloper difficulty is too easy

GreenWind

Hello, Hinterland Dev

I am Hard Play User, Played TheLongDark for 500 hours.

I Think Interloper difficulty is too easy

it's a little difficult in the first week,

But from the point of crafting the bow, the game becomes too easy.

If the player aims the bow well and aims for the head, he can catch a bear or a moose in one shot.

Player can load previous save data by pressing the esc button as soon as the bow is wrong.

The same goes for fishing, lighting, and sewing. If you are not satisfied with the result, you can load the previous save data by pressing the esc key right away

The development team must add a new difficulty level

Or Remove Bow from interloper difficulty and modify autosave logic

444.thumb.png.4a1c7f35f5d7fee138ade3cc124d94b1.png

I'd recommend using custom settings... you can make the game even more harsh and brutal than Interloper using custom settings.

You can also just exercise player choice and give yourself your own rules, extra provisos, and extra challenging objectives to meet.
I made my own personal challenge for myself and that kept me busy for a year.  :)

If you feel interloper is too easy with the bow... then I suggest not making one.   You don't need Hinterland to remove the bow, you can just choose not to use it. :D

It's the same with Save Scumming... if folks don't like it, then they can simply choose not to do it.
I for one don't like it either, but I simply exercise a little self discipline and I just don't do it.
However, it's a single player game... so I think folks should be able to play it how they want to.  The only person they affect the experience of is their own.

I don't see a need to try to take options away from other players just because I don't like something about the game (and that I can just choose not to do).

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I think it's better that we can simply use player choice to change how we experience the game for ourselves, rather than trying to change the game itself (and change how everyone else experiences the game - to satisfy an individual's preferences).

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 6
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, GreenWind said:

I am Hard Play User

Player can load previous save data by pressing the esc button as soon as the bow is wrong.

The same goes for fishing, lighting, and sewing. If you are not satisfied with the result, you can load the previous save data by pressing the esc key right away

I think I see what the problem is.🙄sorry friend, dobt take it in the wrong way, but if you want difficulty, you don't reload a save(by choice) when something goes wrong. You press on.

• Upvote 3

I would like an advanced interloper difficulty where wolves verbally insult and taunt me.  Something that will really make me question what I'm doing in my free time. Bonus if you could somehow personalize the experience.

For example:

Wolf spots me in ML: "Wow! This is the third close encounter within 24 in game hours. I'm suuuuuuuuuuure this will be the save to achieve 'Will to Live'!'

or like after a game ending wolf struggle "Say goodbye to the xx hours you spent on this save. Guess you should've spent that exercising or bonding with your family instead! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

Edited by darkscaryforest
  • Like 1

While I do think that this is either trolling or the arguments are otherwise weak, I do agree that a 5th officially difficulty level needs to be added. And since Hinterland already recognized it in the As the Dead Sleep challenge, it's obvious it should be Deadman.

Well, Deadman with low harvestable plants and high wind variability.

Interloper is the Ultra-Violence of Doom.

Edited by Mistral

I dont think Interloper is easy at all. Some people find it difficult to live past the first day, that is why it is even an achievement for Steam... for a seasoned Stalker player, I guess Interloper might be easy. For most Voyageur players, who enjoy playing a tuned-down version of the game, I really dont think Interloper is easy at all. 

However, I dont think its fair to judge a game difficulty on abusing the game mechanics in a way that avoids the core of what the game is about - permadeath. If save scumming is the way you play the game, that is fine, as others pointed out, this is a singleplayer game and everyone can play it the way they want to. But it is clear the game is intended not to have "saves" and making a mistake should be fatal. Hence permadeath.

That said, it also does not justify that others here should jump to conclusions, in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Mistral said:

While I do think that this is either trolling or the arguments are otherwise weak, I do agree that a 5th officially difficulty level needs to be added. And since we actually already have that in the As the Dead Sleep, it's obvious it should be Deadman.

Not really. Stalker was too easy for people, I think Interloper was a correct step. Deadman should, however, remain what it is - a community challenge. The fact they already added a Challenge As the dead sleep to honor it should be enough. That is exactly why they added Custom gamemode - so people can make their own difficulty. So they dont need to add more generic game difficulties afterwards.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

In all seriousness, I think after a certain point in raising up the difficulty you're are at risk of making the game less interesting; especially, if it involves taking things out of the game.  Making something harder is so arbitrary. I really like Interloper for what it is because while you are forced play certain ways, you still have options in how to survive and make things work in tough situations after you have cobbled together enough tools. Plus, you can live sustainably in interloper making it still feel sandboxy and less: well, I can only play this for X number of days at best (deadman).

Edited by darkscaryforest
  • Upvote 1

You can also create mini challenges for yourself.  My latest self-created achievement was getting all the best gear including fishermen sweaters, woolen long underwear, twin expedition parkas, insulated boots, twin snow pants, with woolen ear muff, technical pack, crampons, AND moose hide bag, rifle with 47 ammo, revolver with 120 rounds, bow with 4 arrows and five arrowheads, magnifying glass, all tools, and two skills to level 3... before day 10.  
Did it with a day to spare.  
I guess you can get better crafted gear but that is going to take more time no getting around it.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 12.02.2021 at 18:44, GreenWind said:

Merhaba Hinterland Dev

Ben Sert Oyun Kullanıcısıyım, TheLongDark'ı 500 saat oynadım.

Interloper zorluğunun çok kolay olduğunu düşünüyorum

ilk hafta biraz zor

Ancak yayı işlemek açısından oyun çok kolay hale geliyor.

Oyuncu yayı iyi hedefler ve başı hedef alırsa, tek atışta bir ayı veya geyiği yakalayabilir.

Oyuncu, pruva yanlış olduğu anda esc düğmesine basarak önceki kaydetme verilerini yükleyebilir.

Aynı şey balık tutma, aydınlatma ve dikiş için de geçerlidir. Sonuçtan memnun kalmazsanız, esc tuşuna hemen basarak önceki kaydedilen verileri yükleyebilirsiniz.

Geliştirme ekibi yeni bir zorluk seviyesi eklemelidir

Veya Bow'u interloper zorluğundan çıkarın ve otomatik kaydetme mantığını değiştirin

444.thumb.png.4a1c7f35f5d7fee138ade3cc124d94b1.png

Don't take it personally, but considering uploading old recordings using esc as an option, I think it's against the spirit of the game. If you had to use this option, it is somewhat inconsistent to mention that the game is easy.

• Upvote 1

On 2/12/2021 at 10:44 AM, GreenWind said:

...Or Remove Bow from interloper difficulty...

If the bow was removed from interloper then you would eventually starve as once you have looted all the manufactured food the only option left is to hunt, you already can't get the rifle or revolver in interloper leaving just the bow remove that and your only hope for food is to scare a Deere towards a wolf no bow means you can't shoot the wolf to get it off the Deere and it's interloper so it's not easy to scare off a wolf so you'll have to wait for the wolf to leave and scavenge what was left, not ideal for long term survival.

On 2/13/2021 at 1:48 PM, Mistral said:

While I do think that this is either trolling or the arguments are otherwise weak, I do agree that a 5th officially difficulty level needs to be added. And since Hinterland already recognized it in the As the Dead Sleep challenge, it's obvious it should be Deadman.

Interloper is the Ultra-Violence of Doom.

While I agree with this post it always comes back to the fact that the interloper experience stagnates to soon. The trouble being the short "tech tree" and the ease of keeping the meters up when you learn a few tricks. 

Hinterland did a good job of adding some nes gameplay elements while not demotivating players. (well fed buff, sprains mechanics) and they also got rid of the worst game exploits. The new maps are cool and diverse.

I feel that what the game could use is one or mere new mid game related meters or conditions (like sanity). The game world has a lot of items already that could be used to this (paper, books, churches, pictures).  Also eating nothing but meat should trigger some condition promoting finding vegetables and fruits.  

Also the cooling of the game world should include indoors and caves. The cave temperature bonus should be removed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoneWolf5841 said:

If the bow was removed from interloper then you would eventually starve as once you have looted all the manufactured food the only option left is to hunt, you already can't get the rifle or revolver in interloper leaving just the bow remove that and your only hope for food is to scare a Deere towards a wolf no bow means you can't shoot the wolf to get it off the Deere and it's interloper so it's not easy to scare off a wolf so you'll have to wait for the wolf to leave and scavenge what was left, not ideal for long term survival.

Fishing? Cattails?. . . you're down but not out, bud :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wilsonaka said:

Fishing? Cattails?. . . you're down but not out, bud :)

Forgot about fishing, cattails on the other hand I never considered due to their low calorie count, they are great in a pinch but for long term survival not so much. Fishing on the other hand is viable. 

Edited by LoneWolf5841

2 hours ago, LoneWolf5841 said:

they are great in a pinch but for long term survival not so much

There is a ridiculous amount of them in the game. Some regions have between 100 and 200 alone. You can live for weeks just on cat tails. If you leave them for emergencies most of them never get eaten.

3 hours ago, Serenity said:

You can live for weeks just on cat tails

Let's be realistic here, would you want to eat cattails for a week? Why overburden Will or Astrid? If 1% would want that level of difficulty, why make it a selection? Just omit from using a bow and there you go, you have your difficulty!:)

10 hours ago, Serenity said:

There is a ridiculous amount of them in the game. Some regions have between 100 and 200 alone. You can live for weeks just on cat tails. If you leave them for emergencies most of them never get eaten.

I do usually use them for emergencies they don't spoil so I don't like eating them unless absolutely necessary I also eat them if I'm just a few calories short for bed. Also I probably have something set to low because cattails are always a bit rare for me. 

13 minutes ago, LoneWolf5841 said:

I do usually use them for emergencies they don't spoil so I don't like eating them unless absolutely necessary

I do that too, but it's like potions in RPGs. You keep them around "just in case" thinking one day they will turn around a difficult fight, but that never comes 😆

Keeping a bit of a stash in regions you intend to re-visit later is a good idea and cat tails are nice for that. It means you have some time to sort out food when you get there. But with the way the cooking system works that stops being an issue later on. You can just leave piles of rotten meat on the ground.

• Like 2