Dev Diary – October 2020

Admin

56 minutes ago, Themadlad94 said:

With all due respect, I really liked 4DON better. I feel like this event is so out of place in a game like this because it isn’t a horror survival. The lore of the main game was solar particles messing up the world’s electronics, not a malevolent being chasing you. If I wanted that, I would go play Dead by Daylight. 4don wasn’t so “far-fetched” in a sense (I mean, 4don was still pretty weird, but the darkwalker is VERY far-fetched), as the closest thing we got to demonic beings and toxic fog was wolves that have reds eyes and pumpkin pie.

On the contrary, it is not a real threat is is in your head. you can only heard him but not see him. the mental side during survival is not really considered i nthis game it may be the opening of a new door for the future of the game. you character needs to constantly fight against himself to flee from something that we dont know what is yet. I am extremely exited by this new even and i cannot wait to test it.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, oplli said:

On the contrary, it is not a real threat, it is in your head. you can only hear him but not see him. the mental side during survival is not really considered in this game it may be the opening of a new door for the future of the game. you character needs to constantly fight against himself to flee from something that we don't know what is yet. I am extremely exited by this new event and I cannot wait to test it.

I feel this event was designed to make the player feel helpless, as you cannot see the Darkwalker or even physically harm it, and this makes the dark walker event feel like the knowing feeling that you are going  to die eventually, BUT ON SUPER STERIOIDS. it also takes away a lot of the satisfaction of surviving, deliberately. In the long dark every day you survive feels like an achievement, like "I survived another night, hooray!" but it seems the Darkwalker event, you may be able to slow down the Darkwalker, but that's all you're doing. slowing it down. you haven't saved yourself, merely bought some time to escape. and that feeling of impending doom approaching (a bit like the moon in Majoras Mask) is true horror, and is a beautiful direction that such a game has NEVER gone in before. I love this event and it hasn't even started yet. Thank you Hinterland.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Thanks in advance Hinterland 

- i'm super excited , time to return.

Hopefully  i can stand  the inescapable horror.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S:The same procedure as last year, Miss Sophie?

The same procedure as every year, James

What about TLD 2?

3 minutes ago, Gracia_WolfSlayer said:

Does anyone know if this goes live at a certain time on the 29th? Like, is this an at midnight deal?

I work nights, so if it starts at 12am I'm going to totally jump on as soon as it rolls over!

Too excited!

I don't believe they mentioned a time. But I wasn't expecting a time yet since they may want to coordinate it across all the platforms.

just watched the vid... there appears to be flashes or splashes on the ice... kinda like Death Stranding to show where the Darkwalker is... unless I'm seeing things. I am pumped for this.. considering you can only spend a half hour on a map it's going to be tough to chain a bunch of maps together to stay alive

4 hours ago, OdaSamurai said:

Green fires are ON!

I hope those stay in, as optional, of course.

Maybe the reward from participating?

Looks cool AF

Maybe The green fire could only be brighter than the regular fires and it would be activated in the Endless night mode ? PLS DEVS i am dying to play this gamemode haha :D i hope some of it will stay !

I know you have finished coding and playtesting the Darkwalker update for Halloween's event. But...I know you can still tweak some code and edit in some material you may have stored in some hard drives of your coders. Please, please make some way for players to destroy the Darkwalker...make it a quest/quest item(s), make it however hard you want, but please program a way to defeat the darkwalker. Maybe you can trap it in some holy grove and complete some glyphs? Maybe after it's trapped you can burn it? Or shoot it with silver bullets? Or arrows made from holy oak? Maybe a wendigo-cleansing ceremony? Please make a way to kill the Darkwalker.

Also, hey- to all the developers at Hinterland and all staff and support for The Long Dark: I truly love this masterpiece you have created. I am truly grateful you are such a fine company and group of programming professionals. You really provide a huge amount of value to the TLD community for very reasonable pricing. You provide me my favorite gaming experience with constant new additions and developments. I really do appreciate the work you put into this best in class game. It really is the best game of its kind. Nothing else comes close. The art alone makes it a unique gaming experience...it really is like playing a work of art. I love this game. Thank you for the Darkwalker event. I appreciate what you have given us as a Halloween treat! I just want to destroy the Darkwalker and save the fledgling human survival on Great Bear Island from its evil forever! There HAS to be a way! I will stop the Darkwalker! Maybe I can lead it into the sea? Maybe I can lead it into the Bleak Inlet Cannery and destroy it with machinery during an auroral fugue? Maybe I can blow up a mine with it trapped inside a warded glyph circle? I am going to take the darkwalker DOWN! happy Halloween! I love you guys!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mayimbe said:

hello, it is not clear to me if it is from November 30 to 27 or from November 30 to 13, what if it is clear to me is that it will be great.

use a website that shows the time when the event starts in your time zone. For me (germany) 8pm PDT is 0:00 on October 30 when i used it correctly. But i'm not sure what you mean with 13 and 27. It ends on November the 12th PDT

edit: It's 2 am in germany, not 0:00 :D

Edited by Karl Grylls

14 minutes ago, Karl Grylls said:

it lasts two weeks, i don't think this is necessary

I'm sure you meant to say, it's not necessary for YOU

I'm a long-time streamer of The Long Dark with ~ 1000 hours streamed, and I claim that this entitles me to a level playing field.

2 hours ago, Karl Grylls said:

use un sitio web que muestre la hora a la que comienza el evento en su zona horaria. Para mí (Alemania) las 8 p.m. PDT son las 0:00 del 30 de octubre cuando lo usé correctamente. Pero no estoy seguro de a qué te refieres con 13 y 27. Termina el 12 de noviembre PDT

editar: Son las 2 am en Alemania, no las 0:00 :RE

the time, and the day I start I have it clear but in steam it tells me that it is from October 30 to November 27.

Hey, guys!  I guess I get to be "that guy" again.  I notice by the time November 12th comes around, Daylight Savings will have been suspended for over a week, meaning your event end time should probably be stated referencing PST at the very least, since that's the reference everyone will be using at that time.  Always happy to help!  ✌️

There have been some youtubers who got courtesy early access to Dark Walker.  I watched a 2 hour playthrough and gods it was scary.  Plans thought out earlier lasted until the Dark Walker appeared then the plans came apart in the presence and threat of the Dark Walker. 

I was thinking of trying the event but now I don't know.  😨