The Long Dark Hotfixed to V1.78 [62973]

Admin

1502756049_HotfixBanner-Site-Forum-OpenGraph1360x566.thumb.png.5f9119fa0ca66f20037a4423ff8f75c2.png

We’ve released our v1.78 Hotfix for FEARLESS NAVIGATOR. If you encounter any issues while playing The Long Dark please visit our Support Portal.

To stay-up-to-date with news and information about The Long Dark and Hinterland, sign up for our newsletter and follow us on Twitter (Game | Studio).

THE LONG DARK v1.78 (62973) CHANGELIST

GENERAL FIXES

• [General]  When spraying a Marker with Spray Paint, after shooting a Wolf, the sprayed Marker will no longer appear as a blood drip texture.
  • [General] Improved stability for Players who were crashing when transitioning from between exteriors to an interior, and vice versa.
  • [General] Faithful Cartographer Achievement now updates progress correctly, when loading a save file from version 1.75 or earlier. 
  • [General] Removed erroneous output in the debug logs, when inserting a Steam Controller
  • [General] Improved framerate while inspecting an item.
  • [General] Draw distance on the First Aid Kit increased, so it no longer appears to pop-in to the world.   

GENERAL ART FIXES

• [Enviro] Burnt out cabins now properly show bullet hole decals, after being shot.
  • [Enviro] Collision polish pass throughout all regions, to remove superfluous collision.
  • [Enviro] Microwave door state is now restored correctly, when reloading a save.
  • [Enviro] Fixed a number of locations where the Player could become stuck on the terrain. 

USER INTERFACE

• [UI] Players can now scroll using the mouse wheel, or clicking on the scroll bar, when viewing the Rock Cache page, in the Journal
  • [UI] Improved how Markers on the map are clustered together, to reduce crowding.
  • [UI] Spray Paint Marker localization is now properly updated, when changing the in-game language.
  • [UI] Discovered locations are now tracked correctly when viewing the Locations Discovered page in the Journal.
  • [UI] Total available Notes displayed on the Collections page, in the Journal, updated to show the correct total available. 

ALL GAME MODES

• [All Modes] Meat now decays at the correct rate, when stored in a Rock Cache.
  • [All Modes] Rock Caches can no longer be placed inside a building, by standing outside of the building and entering placement mode.
  • [All Modes] Crafting Ammo now requires light as intended. Players will no longer be able to craft Ammo without a light source.
  • [All Modes]  When throwing a physics based object, such as a flare, it will no longer appear to stutter. 
  • [All Modes] If the Player enters and exits the Crafting Menu while holding a Lantern, the Lantern is no longer hidden from view.

SURVIVAL MODE

• [Survival] Bleak Inlet Polaroid will no longer spawn in the Quonset Garage, as it was unintended. 

### END OF CHANGELIST ###

Update:

We have released an update to address the interactivity of our in-game notifications.

• Upvote 5
  • Like 4

Fixes are good, I've been getting 4-5 crashes since 1.74 whereas before crashes were nonexistent. (Windows)

I'm looking forward to a fix for the zero feathers behavior, as this is the only thing preventing me from returning to the game. It's just unimmersive to use all your experience to counteract the glitch and still end up with just 8-9 arrows after forging. (Loper)

So does this means meat decays in rock caches as if they are outside or inside? And do they disappear when the condition goes to 0%?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Admin said:
  • [UI] Players can now scroll using the mouse wheel, or clicking on the scroll bar, when viewing the Rock Cache page, in the Journal

OMG please add scroll wheel support to the horizontal menu of cookable items that opens when you click on an empty cooking spot. Scroll wheel should go left-right in that menu. Scrolling past my million teas to get to the raw meat is painful.

Great updates!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I figured that the no-decay aspect of caches as regards meat in them was a bug.   Expected that fix.  That fix also means that ruined meat cannot be put into a cache and almost certainly any food item reaching ruined condition would disappear.  It did cause my game to crash while it regurgitated the piece of ruined meat I had left in a cache as a test.   Hopefully my game will forgive me.  :) 

The fix to clustered spray marks should help, too.  I'll see.

Update:

Due to technical issues we have turned off the interactivity of our in-game notification relating to the new telemetry system that was released with FEARLESS NAVIGATOR. To opt-in to the system please turn this on in the game’s Main Menu, under Options>Privacy.

Telemetry_Op_In.thumb.gif.8415c1e8b82464ed6201564386df2b2d.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sherri said:

OMG please add scroll wheel support to the horizontal menu of cookable items that opens when you click on an empty cooking spot. Scroll wheel should go left-right in that menu. Scrolling past my million teas to get to the raw meat is painful.

Great updates!

Yes, the cooking UI is really terrible for PC users. I get they probably do it for consoles but we really do have better input methods available on PC, it's a shame we go to the lowest common denominator.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, toque said:

So does this means meat decays in rock caches as if they are outside or inside? And do they disappear when the condition goes to 0%?

The rock cache now acts like any other container.  Meat decays at the same rate outside in a rock cache or other container, or on the ground.  I put some low condition meat in a rock cache yesterday (the cache was built after 1.78).  The meat reached 0% and is no longer in the rock cache.  

Before 1.78, a ruined item would stay in a rock cache.  Now, a ruined item disappears when it's put in a rock cache, same as any other container.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Before 1.78, a ruined item would stay in a rock cache.  Now, a ruined item disappears when it's put in a rock cache, same as any other container.

Which means there is still no incentive to put meat into it given that you can cook ruined raw meat to be edible and even eat ruined cooked food at level 5.

Though in general I'd prefer an entire rebalancing of the system. Nerf cooking level 5. Not being able to eat ruined food. And maybe make it so that wolves can steal food.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Serenity said:

Which means there is still no incentive to put meat into it given that you can cook ruined raw meat to be edible and even eat ruined cooked food at level 5.

Though in general I'd prefer an entire rebalancing of the system. Nerf cooking level 5. Not being able to eat ruined food. And maybe make it so that wolves can steal food.

I agree, it would be very interesting if we had to worry about animals stealing/eating food left on the ground.  The only incentive to put meat and other things into a rock cache, same as any other container, is to make it a bit easier to drop/pick up (especially items that stack).  The rock cache is still a very nice addition because we can have a container in places where there isn't one.  For example, spending a lot of time in a cave in Hushed River Valley and not having to leave many individual items scattered around the cave floor.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, odizzido said:

Personally I think food should never get ruined in TLD. Even inside it's below zero all the time so bacteria aren't doing their thing. Frozen meat can sit there for years and be fine.

I agree that the decay is a little wonky. Canned and packaged goods generally last for years. They may not taste great, though. About meat: realistically speaking- food stored at 0F(-17.7C) or below can be safely eaten indefinitely. This is only if it's at that temperature or below(really not a problem later in Interloper). Above that, bacteria  and mold could possibly, however unlikely, still "do their thing".  Perhaps there could be a mechanic where frozen cooked meat cannot be eaten directly, and the condition does not improve when warmed up?

Food for thought. Feedback is appreciated.

I think it would be interesting if you could still eat it while frozen, but you get a cooling down debuff which would just be the opposite of the warming up one. Of course it would all be frozen all the time unless they introduced house heating or something. I don't know how that would really work out, gameplay wise.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The rock cache now acts like any other container.  Meat decays at the same rate outside in a rock cache or other container, or on the ground.  I put some low condition meat in a rock cache yesterday (the cache was built after 1.78).  The meat reached 0% and is no longer in the rock cache.  

Thank you!

On 6/2/2020 at 9:01 PM, Admin said:

[All Modes] Meat now decays at the correct rate, when stored in a Rock Cache.

Noooooooooooooooo........ Now it's useless, who will spend so many calories to find 50!!!! stones for each rock cache if it gives nothing???? Fix it please, let it be 10% -15% decay speed, even 50% is not worth it.

With the new change to decay rates then what is the point of a rock cache ? 50 stones ! I can just leave things placed on the ground and ruined food will remain. If food becomes ruined in a rock cache it disappears...

I guess it stops everything being hoovered up in to a "Lost and Found box" every update though.

3 hours ago, Murpharoo said:

With the new change to decay rates then what is the point of a rock cache ? 50 stones ! I can just leave things placed on the ground and ruined food will remain. If food becomes ruined in a rock cache it disappears...

I guess it stops everything being hoovered up in to a "Lost and Found box" every update though.

Stones seem more plentiful now, and it doesn't take very long to collect 50 of them.

I think the rock cache is a valuable addition because I can have a decent size storage container in places that don't otherwise have them, like when I spend time in Hushed River Valley.  I know there's no benefit over dropping things on a cave floor or on the ground, but a container is handy when I have a lot of things that stack, like cattails.

I don't care about the ruined food disappearing in a cache or any other container.  It's just my personal play style, in my Interloper games I never eat or cook anything that's less than 10%.

@Gun Tech. I'm an Interloper player and I haven't noticed a difference in feathers in any recent update.  In my experience, it has always varied from run to run.  It seems like there's a random number component at the start of a run that determines how frequently feathers spawn.  I'll find many feathers in some runs and less in others.  My current Interloper run is on the lower end.  Some carcasses and corpses have no feathers or a single feather, others have several.

1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

@Gun Tech. I'm an Interloper player and I haven't noticed a difference in feathers in any recent update.  In my experience, it has always varied from run to run.  It seems like there's a random number component at the start of a run that determines how frequently feathers spawn.  I'll find many feathers in some runs and less in others.  My current Interloper run is on the lower end.  Some carcasses and corpses have no feathers or a single feather, others have several.

This is a reported bug that is well-documented by the TLD streaming community. I've tested out the exact behavior. Or you can test it yourself by killing 3-4 animals at the same time and harvest them without going indoors first. (If you go indoors between animal dying and being harvested you always get zero feathers). If you don't go indoors, you often get feathers from the first animal you harvest and zero feathers from all of the others. This reeks of unintended. (We can't really kill one animal at a time and never go indoors after a kill. Or if we're expected to, it's bad game design.)

I had hopes for the hotfix, knowing that the major update is about added features. But this was tested by me in 1.77, and it was still not fixed. It's not fixed in 1.78 [62973] because it's not in the changelog. 

• Upvote 1