Glass Ankles/Wrists

Draglorr

Man, i was up a relatively steep slope and got two sprained ankles,(with no over encumbrance)  then proceeded to get a sprained wrist on the way down!! Jeez man!! This guy is freaking disaster prone AND has the the weakest, most injury prone wrists/ankles i have ever seen! Any one else think this is ridiculous? or am i just unlucky?

• Upvote 3

@Khan_Drichthyes, the sprain system is vastly improved over it's previous iterations.  For me, the system seems to be working as intended.  The only time I ever get sprains now are all well deserved.  All in all, my sprain frequency is down dramatically since they hotfixed Steadfast Ranger.

Keep in mind that sprains can happen on any slope where the sprain warning indicator is present, being encumbered is not a prerequisite... it does however contribute to the sprain risk probably (as does exhaustion - if I'm not mistaken).

The answer to your initial question has two components:
1. Yes you were unlucky.
2. You were already engaged in a risky activity to begin with.

Edited by ManicManiac

@Khan_Drichthyes
Well the good news is that the pain mechanic doesn't really hinder us in any meaningful way.  If you have a bandage you can quickly get back to sprinting or shooting your rifle or what ever you wanted your arms and legs for.  :D  Nowadays I don't even bother with pain meds anymore.

The only really impact that pain has is to keep your from reading... the rest is just a visual representation of the physical discomfort our character is feeling.

I remember how it was too, I started playing at the later end of 2014.  For years sprains seemed completely random or stacked to be at its most inopportune possible (even though I know they weren't really... it's just that the factors were "hidden" from the player and kept behind the scenes). :D 

Edited by ManicManiac

21 hours ago, Draglorr said:

Man, i was up a relatively steep slope and got two sprained ankles,(with no over encumbrance)  then proceeded to get a sprained wrist on the way down!! Jeez man!! This guy is freaking disaster prone AND has the the weakest, most injury prone wrists/ankles i have ever seen! Any one else think this is ridiculous? or am i just unlucky?

I'm apparently unlucky as well.  It's still a mechanic that is heavily dependent on RNG, so thinking you're controlling it by going around unencumbered and well rested and staying off the steepest slopes is more an illusion than anything.  If the dice roll a sprain, you get a sprain.  I've just recently gotten 2 in rapid succession just walking from the Trapper's Cabin to the Camp Office in Mystery Lake (going over the little hill near Max's Last Stand.  You can also get all four in rapid succession  (I've done that too).  People just like it this way better because they can use a bandage to "fix" the problematic aspects of it.  I would prefer they eliminate the random aspect.  If you're unencumbered and well rested, you should be able to walk on any moderately sloped without risk of a sprain, period.

I actually get more sprains since the update. Even unencumbered believe it or not. You get less while taking set paths but while taking the risk its been elevated super high to where its almost guaranteed if you're not taking a main path. 

It bugs me that if you apply the painkiller to your ankle and not the pain or vice versa with the bandage it does nothing, but many here argue it's well deserved... 

9 hours ago, Gravos said:

I had a lot of complaints about this initially, but I feel it has been tuned well by the devs since then. It could be tuned down a tiny bit but I feel it's pretty good now. 

I think it's just right when encumbered, but needs a tiny bit lowered when not. Or maybe I've just been unlucky and my limited perception is inflating the problem. 

I feel like I get sprains at the very beginning of a run more often than later for some reason.

I'd be perfectly okay with sprains ONLY happening when over-encumbered, as the new affliction warning suggets.  At least that way you don't have random sprains when just starting out.

Edited by Rexdawn

I find sprains run in streaks.  In my recent run I sprained myself endlessly in ML, mostly hands.  Switched to CH - no sprains, well there was the one as a result of wolf attack.  Switched to DP and princess buttercup's ankles are evidenly made of glass but no hands.  I'm not really doing anything different.  

Also having a weapon equipped might increase the amount of sprains. Last time i was playing i was standing on a ~30-40 degree slope and i did not see the sprain warning. I did not have a weapon equipped so when i though i saw a wolf i equipped my bow. When i equipped my bow i saw that the sprain warning appeard.

Been playing since 2015. Sprains seem well-tuned now. These days sprains are rare for me and when I do get them, they seem warranted. I almost never get sprains simply from walking on a slope with the warning if I am unencumbered and in good condition. But the triviality with which they can be dealt with just makes them a minor nuisance, There isn't ever much gameplay impact from a sprain, in my experience. I'd be for making them slightly rarer, but of greater consequence.

• Upvote 1

On 9/13/2019 at 5:37 PM, rakshasa said:

Been playing since 2015. Sprains seem well-tuned now. These days sprains are rare for me and when I do get them, they seem warranted. I almost never get sprains simply from walking on a slope with the warning if I am unencumbered and in good condition. But the triviality with which they can be dealt with just makes them a minor nuisance, There isn't ever much gameplay impact from a sprain, in my experience. I'd be for making them slightly rarer, but of greater consequence.

I agree with this.  Sprains can be instantly treated with a bandage (does that even make sense?) and painkillers are essentially worthless now outside of the occasional moose trampling.  I was fine with sprains requiring rest to treat and that made more sense to me, though I'm not the biggest fan of the randomized sprain system in general.

The only sprains I get nowadays are all very well deserved (referencing my previous post on this thread).  I'm really satisfied with the system now, compared to previous iterations.

What I don't fully understand is why resting (a.k.a. passing time) will count towards healing broken ribs, but does not count towards healing sprains.  Sprains specifically require sleep to heal "over time."  Does anyone have any insight as to why that is?  I would imagine they both sort of represent the idea of laying down to immobilize the injured joint.  I mean I suppose from a certain rationale a body would repair damage more quickly while sleeping, as opposed to just being sedentary... do you suppose that's the idea behind that particular design choice?

Edited by ManicManiac