Will "Balsa" Mackenzie's opioid odyssey...

Day 1: Woke up, sprained my ankle eating crackers. Took pain killers. Went out foraging for sticks. Sprained my wrist walking on flat snow. Took pain killers. Very strong, immediate relief. Nice! Got home, tried to read. Double vision. Went to bed.

Day 2: Woke up, ate, had some water, sprained my ankle drinking. Took pain killers. Sprained my wrist drinking. Took pain killers. Went out fishing. Sprained my other ankle fishing. Took pain killers. Lost focus many times. Fell down, sprained my wrist. Took pain killers. Spoke to some trees.

Day 3: Woke up. Not sure how I got home. Boots on hands. Too many pain killers yesterday. Sprained my wrist thinking. Took pain killers. Went out hunting. Sprained my ankle harvesting. Took pain killers. Very happy, skipped home, sprained my wrist. Took pain killers. Very, very happy. Sprained something else. Don’t care.

Day 4: Woke up. Took pain killers. Went outside, looked at sun. Sprained my wrist looking. Took pain killers. Don’t care about food, only pain killers. Took more in case of a sprain. So very happy in the sun. Counted my pain killers. Named them. They are nice. So few though. Sprained my ankle liking them. Took more. Vomited.

Day 5: Woke up. Took pain killers. Stood in the room. Drank. Took more pain killers. Somewhat happy, no pain. Sprained my wrist and ankle taking pain killers. Took pain killers. Feeling uneasy, shaky. More pain killers for nerves. Not helping. Need food. Too tired to cook. Feeling nauseous. Bottle is empty.

Day 6: Woke up covered in sweat. No pain killers. Very unhappy. Went out and shot everything with legs. Sprained my ankle. Shot more animals. Really angry at my hat. Shot it. Sprained my wrist. Can’t shoot. Hate this frozen hell. Cold sweats. Wish I had pain killers. Cried a lot. Poor bunnies. I hate me.

Day 7: Woke up soaked in sweat. Very depressed. Scratched until I bled, sprained my wrist scratching. Crawled outside, collapsed, sprained everything, twice. Prayed for pain killers. Sprained both wrists and ankles in fervent prayer. Fluffy called out that he had some. Re-sprained my ankle loping to him. He didn’t have any. Sprained my wrist dying.

• Upvote 30
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

At this point I am not even sure if some of the sprains are not bugs....

When I should get a sprain...jumping down two feet off a rock and yelling, "Aaaahhhh!" or hopping down a steep cliff over encumbered....I typically don't get a sprain. It's fairly rare.

I seem to get sprains most often when I am simply walking on flat or mostly flat terrain and unencumbered. The screen freezes up for a half a second, announces I sprained something and saves the game. I don't know if the game freezes up because it's saving the game. Or the freezing is a bug that results in an undeserved sprain...?

Any thoughts? Should we report this?

Edited by JoE Smash
For not of
  • Upvote 2

I don't think there is an issue with the game Joe. Sprains are perhaps too numerous, but they keep things interesting. This post was made after a 4-sprain day and I simply imagined how wrecked Will must be after little food and 8 pain killers. Just for fun more than a commentary about anything serious.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JoE Smash said:

Any thoughts? Should we report this?

I think it's just because the game is saving that there is a bit of a jump (which feels like a lag-spike or a temporary game-freeze) followed by the loud 'arghh'. It always makes me jump in a slightly pannicked way, much more so that being startled by a nearby wolf or anything else. It's a bit of a jarring moment, but I just chalk it up to me feeling the pain of the sprained joint. Sprained ankles, while walking on steep banks or when overburdened, I can understand, but the frequency of sprained wrists when seemingly not even using my hands for anything is rather annoying and bizarre.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Miniwizard said:

I think it's just because the game is saving that there is a bit of a jump (which feels like a lag-spike or a temporary game-freeze) followed by the loud 'arghh'. It always makes me jump in a slightly pannicked way, much more so that being startled by a nearby wolf or anything else. It's a bit of a jarring moment, but I just chalk it up to me feeling the pain of the sprained joint. Sprained ankles, while walking on steep banks or when overburdened, I can understand, but the frequency of sprained wrists when seemingly not even using my hands for anything is rather annoying and bizarre.

I don't think I get the Aaaaahhhh with the sprains I'm talking about, because I wasn't doing any activity deserving of yelling. I was just walking.

What I was saying is when my character yells Ahhhhh, I don't get sprains, even though that would be an appropriate time to get one.

When I'm just wandering around taking it easy the game stutters and I get a sprain, and I yell in real life, "WTF!?"

My IRL experience with snow is pretty limited (Only a few places in Australia get any snow at all, and my only encounter with it to date was on a vacation when I was 12), but my understanding is this...

Soft-packed snow such as on slopes and ridges can easily cause you to trip on branches hidden beneath the snow, and the footing close to tree trunks can be particularly treacherous. (Feel free to clarify/correct me here)

So in these situations falling or losing your balance can easily happen, if you're not careful. Wrist sprains I see as happening when you trip or fall over and put out a hand to try to catch yourself. However, the game isn't able to visually indicate that you've fallen or tripped, so there's no visual cue as to why you were just injured. If a visual motion of tripping or falling over were implemented, it might go a long way towards improving perceptions of the event.

That said, I do think the number of sprains on flat, level, what should be hard-packed snow are somewhat excessive.

Edited by JAFO
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAFO said:

That said, I do think the number of sprains on flat, level, what should be hard-packed snow are somewhat excessive.

That is the statement I agree with, and it is what I was trying to explain...

On topic though, the OP was hilarious. I had my girlfriend read it, and she thought it was hilarious as well.

The strangest part of all of this is just today, about three hours ago in the bathroom I was thinking about painkillers in the game and opioid addiction in real life. I was thinking it would be interesting....and frustrating....if there was a chance of opioid dependence in the game from taking too many painkillers too frequently due to excessive sprains....

Edited by JoE Smash
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I feel this thread is a good example of how even when someone attempts to agree with the point they "thought" Carbon was trying to make, Carbon is still contrary...

I am wondering if he/she is an Aquarius. They are the most argumentative of all the signs. I had a buddy growing up who was an Aquarius, he liked to argue just for argument's sake. Like they just enjoy debate. 

I find arguing tedious....especially when your intent was to actually agree with the person who is now arguing with you. Doing that is just a waste of your time/life.

I'm not trying to start a fresh argument, I am just making an observation after reading many threads with Carbon arguing with others in the thread. I read the comments in this thread and was like HOLY CRAP, even when someone attempts to agree with Carbon....they are still wrong...

Edited by Thrasador

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2017 at 7:21 PM, Thrasador said:

I feel this thread is a good example of how even when someone attempts to agree with the point they "thought" Carbon was trying to make, Carbon is still contrary...

I am wondering if he/she is an Aquarius. They are the most argumentative of all the signs. I had a buddy growing up who was an Aquarius, he liked to argue just for argument's sake. Like they just enjoy debate. 

I find arguing tedious....especially when your intent was to actually agree with the person who is now arguing with you. Doing that is just a waste of your time/life.

I'm not trying to start a fresh argument, I am just making an observation after reading many threads with Carbon arguing with others in the thread. I read the comments in this thread and was like HOLY CRAP, even when someone attempts to agree with Carbon....they are still wrong...

Sorry to bump this but I've been away for a couple of weeks and saw this now and felt it needed a response.

I don't argue, I am pedantic. Any argument stems from want of clarity in a discussion, either furthering my own points or asking for clarification. There was of course a subtext in my OP (that's the joke), Joe Smash was taking it too seriously; to the point of asking if it should be reported. If there are things I cannot abide, being misunderstood or to have my motivations depicted are among them.

Which brings me to you. I am not the topic of this thread, nor any thread. If you have some insightful observations or have been otherwise surreptitiously noting my behavior I might ask first that you check your own and second, kindly keep it to yourself. This will save you both  being wrong and further exposing your obvious affection for me. ;)

3 hours ago, Carbon said:

Which brings me to you. I am not the topic of this thread, nor any thread. If you have some insightful observations or have been otherwise surreptitiously noting my behavior I might ask first that you check your own and second, kindly keep it to yourself. This will save you both  being wrong and further exposing your obvious affection for me. ;)

hahaha more funny than the post it self (also pretty funny)

3 hours ago, Thrasador said:

He's back...YAY!

im new (only a week or two in the forums) but i certainly can say agree whit this

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 4:11 AM, Carbon said:

Day 1: Woke up, sprained my ankle eating crackers. Took pain killers. Went out foraging for sticks. Sprained my wrist walking on flat snow. Took pain killers. Very strong, immediate relief. Nice! Got home, tried to read. Double vision. Went to bed.

Day 2: Woke up, ate, had some water, sprained my ankle drinking. Took pain killers. Sprained my wrist drinking. Took pain killers. Went out fishing. Sprained my other ankle fishing. Took pain killers. Lost focus many times. Fell down, sprained my wrist. Took pain killers. Spoke to some trees.

Day 3: Woke up. Not sure how I got home. Boots on hands. Too many pain killers yesterday. Sprained my wrist thinking. Took pain killers. Went out hunting. Sprained my ankle harvesting. Took pain killers. Very happy, skipped home, sprained my wrist. Took pain killers. Very, very happy. Sprained something else. Don’t care.

Day 4: Woke up. Took pain killers. Went outside, looked at sun. Sprained my wrist looking. Took pain killers. Don’t care about food, only pain killers. Took more in case of a sprain. So very happy in the sun. Counted my pain killers. Named them. They are nice. So few though. Sprained my ankle liking them. Took more. Vomited.

Day 5: Woke up. Took pain killers. Stood in the room. Drank. Took more pain killers. Somewhat happy, no pain. Sprained my wrist and ankle taking pain killers. Took pain killers. Feeling uneasy, shaky. More pain killers for nerves. Not helping. Need food. Too tired to cook. Feeling nauseous. Bottle is empty.

Day 6: Woke up covered in sweat. No pain killers. Very unhappy. Went out and shot everything with legs. Sprained my ankle. Shot more animals. Really angry at my hat. Shot it. Sprained my wrist. Can’t shoot. Hate this frozen hell. Cold sweats. Wish I had pain killers. Cried a lot. Poor bunnies. I hate me.

Day 7: Woke up soaked in sweat. Very depressed. Scratched until I bled, sprained my wrist scratching. Crawled outside, collapsed, sprained everything, twice. Prayed for pain killers. Sprained both wrists and ankles in fervent prayer. Fluffy called out that he had some. Re-sprained my ankle loping to him. He didn’t have any. Sprained my wrist dying.

Ok. THANK YOU! I was just wondering what the crap happened just the other day during gameplay when I was walking on flat snow and suffered a sprain. It was one of those, "HOW in Hades did that just happen?! Are you SERIOUS?" So, not only could I relate, but I was ROFL as well by the end.

7 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

This was fun to read. But I would prefer to smoke a powdered dried reishi over them :painkillers: any day...

Yeah, but imagine all the sprains you'd get finding the mushrooms, harvesting them, preparing them, and then cooking them! And man, if you need to forage some fuel for that... Will would have died before he ever would have experienced some sweet sweet shroom pain relief.

2 minutes ago, WanderingPalm said:

Yeah, but imagine all the sprains you'd get finding the mushrooms, harvesting them, preparing them, and then cooking them! And man, if you need to forage some fuel for that... Will would have died before he ever would have experienced some sweet sweet shroom pain relief.

I have no wrists or ankles to sprain, dude... I dont know what you are talking about. Dont you see? I am obviously a wolf. wooof wooof, rrrrrrr...

So yeah, old thread, but I'm just now following a link to it. Laughed my ass off.  

As for the idea that perhaps it should be reported:  When TWM was first added, I stated spending lots of time there. Came home almost every day with two sprained wrists and two sprained ankles.  Now, I put up with it for a while, but when it started happening on level ground, right outside the hut, or walking across the lake to the fishing hut, it got me slightly aggravated.  I'm sure none of you would think this of me, but when i get aggravated, I tend to bitch about it a bit. I know... I keep it hidden well, but it's true.   The response at the time?   "Working as intended"

I bet NOBODY saw that coming.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TROY said:

So yeah, old thread, but I'm just now following a link to it. Laughed my ass off.  

As for the idea that perhaps it should be reported:  When TWM was first added, I stated spending lots of time there. Came home almost every day with two sprained wrists and two sprained ankles.  Now, I put up with it for a while, but when it started happening on level ground, right outside the hut, or walking across the lake to the fishing hut, it got me slightly aggravated.  I'm sure none of you would think this of me, but when i get aggravated, I tend to bitch about it a bit. I know... I keep it hidden well, but it's true.   The response at the time?   "Working as intended"

I bet NOBODY saw that coming.  

I remember this period, and I too recall complaining about it, and I also remember the responses from fanboys about how it isn't that bad, and it's fine, and nothing is broken....

Yet, I don't seem to be having this issue as frequently or to the degree it was when I had originally brought it up....

Guess it magically just fixed itself in a stealth patch....

• 4 months later...