Locked Car

Ice Hole

The car is always a go to spot for me if attacked by wolf or bear.  Prefer it over houses because it has no loading screen. 

Some random cars could be locked.  

Keys to open the locked car and trunk can found on corpses and other areas.  Smashing in a window can gain access but at the cost of protection from cold or animal attack.

• Upvote 1

I would prefer to be able to use a prybar on the door as opposed to hunting for a key, with a loss of 1C of warmth (not that cars provide much anyways).  The car would still protect against attacks, but the likelihood of being attacked before gaining entry would be greatly increased.

• Upvote 1

I used to live in a pretty remote rural location, and all the cars being unlocked is actually pretty accurate.  Most people didn't even lock their front doors.  In the winter, everyone leaves their engine running with the doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition when going into the store.  It's a very different way of life than what you'd find in most cities.

• Upvote 2

Guest kristaok
6 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

I used to live in a pretty remote rural location, and all the cars being unlocked is actually pretty accurate.  Most people didn't even lock their front doors.  In the winter, everyone leaves their engine running with the doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition when going into the store.  It's a very different way of life than what you'd find in most cities.

I live on a pretty secluded Mountain with just two neighbors a little ways away... and I still would not leave my Home door or Car unlocked. :/ I know people used to in the old days a lot, but I don't think it's safe to do so anymore. 

The idea itself is not a bad one. But there is one thing when you're being chased by a pack of wolves or one equally psychotic bear .We're not to the point where the car keys , there is more think how to save his life. And an unlocked car is a great helper.A locked car can bring a lot of problems. But this is my personal opinion :).

3 hours ago, kristaok said:

I live on a pretty secluded Mountain with just two neighbors a little ways away... and I still would not leave my Home door or Car unlocked. :/ I know people used to in the old days a lot, but I don't think it's safe to do so anymore. 

My new car locks itself if left unattended and the keys are not inside it and detected out of range.  IRL is not really relevant here since Great Bear is an island that obviously hasn't kept up with the times (and Raphael would just tell us again that their goal is not to completely emulate real life.

The goal of the suggestion, as I see it, is to add yet another element of random chance to a wolf attack (which would make hte game harder).  Even so, I think hunting around for keys on nearby corpses is a bit ridiculous and smashing a window obviously renders the car useless for either sleeping in (particularly if one doesn't have a bedroll) or as protection from an attack.  I'd rather just use the prybar on the door (in the same way we do with the trunk).  I don't think the putting of keys on corpses really adds anything to the game since it's highly unlikely I'd ever try to go back to match the keys found to specific locked cars in order to get a candy bar or newspaper off the floor or to check a glove box (which is usually empty).

5 hours ago, kristaok said:

Well not to scare ya but I've learned that most residential locks are a deterrent at best.  A joke at worst.  I've been experimenting with lock picking for the past couple years and it's actually kind of shocking just how easy most locks are to pick, and it can be done quickly and quietly.  Perfect example, this April I was at my friend's place and he locked himself out.  I didn't have my pick set with me (I'm not a licensed locksmith so I can't just go carrying them around) but I picked his lock using a bit of wire and the pull tab off a soda can I found on the floor of his garage.

If you don't already have one, I strongly suggest investing in a double-cylinder deadbolt that has at least one security pin, on every exterior door. The Kwikset 985 for instance. Difficult to pick even with specialty tools, and because you need a key both inside and outside, someone can't smash the window and reach through to open the door.

Guest kristaok

@ajb1978 Don't worry, you don't scare me trust me I know how easy it is to break in... people can either pick locks, bust in windows, or kick in doors. :/ Either way if they try it here my German Shepherd and my Guns will get em. :D 

2 minutes ago, kristaok said:

@ajb1978 Don't worry, you don't scare me trust me I know how easy it is to break in... people can either pick locks, bust in windows, or kick in doors. :/ Either way if they try it here my German Shepherd and my Guns will get em. :D 

Well, a smart thief takes the time to learn your patterns better than you know them yourself, and will wait until the house is empty.  Smart thieves just don't break into an occupied house, because then you have witnesses and the stakes suddenly get that much higher.  Ain't work the added risk.  That's more the behavior of a desperate junkie throwing caution to the winds in the hopes of a quick score...something which I don't think you get a whole lot of way out in the sticks.  (I read a lot of true crime stories lol)  So unless you're fantastically wealthy and an obvious target, you probably don't have anything to worry about.

1 hour ago, kristaok said:

Iron argument :). I would like your arguments. And the alas were cases when in my house uninvited visitors went.And the police only made a helpless gesture.

15 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I would prefer to be able to use a prybar on the door

That would be a great alternative.  The keys matching to specific cars and the new art for broken windows can be side stepped.  The car once pried open all doors become unlocked.  The implementation would not need much extra coding compared to original idea.

There are some vehicles that have some valuable prizes.  Before heading out into The Long Dark the previous owner of the car wanted to keep the items safe and locked the car.

Guest kristaok

@ajb1978 This is true, but I got news for any would be intruders; My GSD is ALWAYS here, and I also usually stay here - I rarely go out anymore.

7 hours ago, Ice Hole said:
22 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I would prefer to be able to use a prybar on the door

That would be a great alternative.  The keys matching to specific cars and the new art for broken windows can be side stepped.  The car once pried open all doors become unlocked.  The implementation would not need much extra coding compared to original idea.

There are some vehicles that have some valuable prizes.  Before heading out into The Long Dark the previous owner of the car wanted to keep the items safe and locked the car.

Sometimes those prybars are inside a car, lol. So... what happens if the car the prybar is in, is locked?

Personally. I would likely be very frustrated, possibly angry, if cars randomly started showing up as locked, when I need to jump in to evade a wolf on Stalker runs.
Sorry, this gets a "No" vote from me. 

The cars are all pretty old-looking. I'd imagine most of the doors would be frozen shut, even if they weren't locked! (though in gameplay terms, having to boil water and pour it over the door might be a bit of an unnecessary faff!)

24 minutes ago, Pillock said:

The cars are all pretty old-looking. I'd imagine most of the doors would be frozen shut, even if they weren't locked! (though in gameplay terms, having to boil water and pour it over the door might be a bit of an unnecessary faff!)

Not to mention you wouldn't be able to see out of the windows if you spent more than a couple minutes in there.  Frost, and all that.  And after a blizzard, forget about it.

1 minute ago, ajb1978 said:

Not to mention you wouldn't be able to see out of the windows if you spent more than a couple minutes in there.  Frost, and all that.  And after a blizzard, forget about it.

On that (vague) topic, I just noticed earlier today that we now have 360° rotation for looking around inside cars. When did that happen?

2 hours ago, Pillock said:

On that (vague) topic, I just noticed earlier today that we now have 360° rotation for looking around inside cars. When did that happen?

1.52 came out today. There are other changes as well. New model for the 1L bottle of water for example.

19 hours ago, Pillock said:

I just noticed earlier today that we now have 360° rotation for looking around inside cars. When did that happen?

I did not happen for me.  Tried in several regions and still same 180° rotation.

20 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

I would likely be very frustrated, possibly angry, if cars randomly started showing up as locked, when I need to jump in to evade a wolf

Car doors that were once opened are locked randomly is not the idea. 

The car doors that are locked and once pried open remain open, similar to a locked trunk.  

It could be frustrating when in a new area and trying to flee to the safety of a vehicle and then not knowing if it is unlocked.  That could be frustrating. 

On the TLD frustration scale locked cars would be a few points below stoking a fire for a few hours on a calm day only to have it blown out to a few minutes.

53 minutes ago, Ice Hole said:

I did not happen for me.  Tried in several regions and still same 180° rotation.

Car doors that were once opened are locked randomly is not the idea. 

The car doors that are locked and once pried open remain open, similar to a locked trunk.  

It could be frustrating when in a new area and trying to flee to the safety of a vehicle and then not knowing if it is unlocked.  That could be frustrating. 

On the TLD frustration scale locked cars would be a few points below stoking a fire for a few hours on a calm day only to have it blown out to a few minutes.

No, I am talking about all cars (vehicles) being open or randomly spawned into the game world on Day 1 as having locked doors... not them re-locking after being open(ed). Currently, all cars that can be interacted with are open, the trunk may be locked, but the doors are open. So you can jump in, in a hurry, if a wolf or bear or moose turns up unexpectedly or is doing the Stalker Strut towards you. Having this happen in early game, in Stalker, before you have any weapons to attack or defend with, so you run to a tractor or car that has always been unlocked, always, and now the game has decided to randomly spawn locked doors on that one... potentially dead before Day 1 is over. Would also be a problem for Lopers who use vehicles to jump into during their early game, to get out of the wind or a blizzard, while they are still searching for clothing, matches, ect..

On the TLD frustration scale for me, this would be far more frustrating than having a fire blown out if I build it in a non-wind-sheltered spot, and decide to dump a ton of fuel into it, and not add fuel slowly so I can stop cooking and get somewhere safer or warmer when the wind picks up. The game tips that are on loading screens even tell you that vehicles can be used to evade wildlife. With this idea... they would have to change that tip to: "Vehicles can be used to evade hostile wildlife, as long as the doors aren't unexpectedly found locked, or you can use a prybar faster than a wolf, bear, or moose can charge you. Good luck!"

Yeah, I do not like the idea. We are on a remote, small island, in Canada, where most people still on the island at the time of The Collapse, or the first CME, probably all knew each other, Outsider. So locking doors on crappy cars would not be of high concern to them. Valuables get locked in the trunk, keys go in my pocket or rucksack. Last thing I am going to worry about, even in a big city, if the sky starts flaming with strange colored lights, and the electricity all goes out, and wires are sparking and catching fire is... locking my car doors before I run for my life in sheer terror, due to the chaos going on around me.