Locked Car

Ice Hole

7 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

We are on a remote, small island, in Canada,

This island does have a penitentiary on it.  Usually there are signs warning drivers to not pick up hitchhikers and this could cause some people to be more secure.

Maybe you are right about no locked cars in the sparsely populated areas that are current in The Long Dark, however, there is an urban area that we have not seen.

39 minutes ago, Ice Hole said:

This island does have a penitentiary on it.  Usually there are signs warning drivers to not pick up hitchhikers and this could cause some people to be more secure.

Maybe you are right about no locked cars in the sparsely populated areas that are current in The Long Dark, however, there is an urban area that we have not seen.

You are assuming the island has a Penitentiary on it. We have no proof of that at this time. The prisoners may be ferried over from the mainland, and then ferried back, or brought over to a work camp, behind big fences. And you are also assuming that there is a large urban area. All we have is Perseverance Mills, a town named in Wintermute.  We have no real details on its size, or what may be there. 

40 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

The prisoners may be ferried over from the mainland

I think that is the solution to the mystery locked vehicle.  The vehicle was ferried over from the mainland.  The owner lives in an urban area where locking the car is second nature. 

There might not be many locked vehicles but there is a chance.  Some vehicles like the tractor is something usually not locked and these become a guaranteed escape route.

The locked vehicle could be similar to the cargo container with a large stash of loot.

21 minutes ago, Ice Hole said:

I think that is the solution to the mystery locked vehicle.  The vehicle was ferried over from the mainland.  The owner lives in an urban area where locking the car is second nature. 

There might not be many locked vehicles but there is a chance.  Some vehicles like the tractor is something usually not locked and these become a guaranteed escape route.

The locked vehicle could be similar to the cargo container with a large stash of loot.

A wolf or bear is not going to eat your face off if you can't get into that cargo container in a jiffy. Not really a great analogy there, IMHO. :)

Just now, ThePancakeLady said:

Not really a great analogy there, IMHO. :)

Got an easy analogy.  The locked house in Milton and Orca Gas Station both can be surrounded by wolves.  Without former knowledge (playing story mode) you would expect these locations safe to run to and hide inside. 

There was a time when I took the chance and pried 🙏🏻 for my life to get inside the Orca gas station.

32 minutes ago, Ice Hole said:

Got an easy analogy.  The locked house in Milton and Orca Gas Station both can be surrounded by wolves.  Without former knowledge (playing story mode) you would expect these locations safe to run to and hide inside. 

There was a time when I took the chance and pried 🙏🏻 for my life to get inside the Orca gas station.

We will just agree to disagree, okay? lots of buildings in the game world are locked or boarded up or burned down. Vehicles are not, in Wintermute, Survival Mode and the challenge Modes. I prefer it to stay that way, so up on the Spruce Falls bridge, i can jump in a vehicle to get away from Old grumpy bear, since there are no buildings around to run for. Still not a great analogy. The game does not tell you that buildings are good for evading hostile wildlife. So, we are not going to agree. I don't like the idea. Sorry if my opinion differing from yours is a problem. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThePancakeLady said:

...Vehicles are not, in Wintermute, Survival Mode and the challenge Modes. I prefer it to stay that way...

All things considered I agree with @ThePancakeLady.  I did, as a flight of fancy, posit on an aspect of this I thought might be neat... but upon further reflection... I think I'd prefer things to stay as they are as well.  :)  

• Upvote 1

Personally, I would like there to be a chance for some more houses (at random), as well as cars, to be locked and require a prybar or finding a key in order to open them. Also, some interior doors or basements, maybe. And even some electrically operated ones in industrial places that only work in an aurora, like in Wintermute.

As long as players are warned of the changes - they could put a notice on the news screen when you first open the game after an update, or on one of the loading screens - then it'd be fine.

On 5/27/2019 at 4:32 PM, ThePancakeLady said:

Sometimes those prybars are inside a car, lol. So... what happens if the car the prybar is in, is locked?

Personally. I would likely be very frustrated, possibly angry, if cars randomly started showing up as locked, when I need to jump in to evade a wolf on Stalker runs.
Sorry, this gets a "No" vote from me. 

You better hope you've found another prybar someplace else and are carrying it with you.  I have, on occasion discovered additional prybars in locked lockers.  This would be no different.  That's just the nature of "random loot."  It still beats having to match a key from a corpse to a specific locked car since loot on corpses is also random.

ETA:  There is a completely random feature to finding the key to Paradise Measdows farm.  It can be located on the corpse, but the corpse can appear in the workshop or behind the house.  In addition, they key might be on the floor of the tractor or on the dash of the truck.  For the Orca Gas station, a prybar can sometimes be found in the car in front, but quite often, on various starts, I haven't found a prybar near the gas station at all and on some starts, I haven't been lucky enough to find a prybar after searching all of Milton Town for one.  In those starts, as I recall, I did eventually find one at the plane crash or at Paradise Meadows Farm.

Edited by UpUpAway95

The door to the farmhouse can only be unlocked with a key but the doors at Orca can only be pried open.  I wonder if the idea of using keys versus prybars was tested in Milton.  The key is specific to a door and the pry bar can open all locked doors. 

If both options are available this makes the prybar OP and to nerf increase time taken to pry open.  Pry at the door hinges and this would double the action and time taken to gain access.

One door I would have liked to pry open is the CHD door, but now the walk on the ledge has been fixed so less of an issue.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Ice Hole said:

The door to the farmhouse can only be unlocked with a key but the doors at Orca can only be pried open.  I wonder if the idea of using keys versus prybars was tested in Milton.  The key is specific to a door and the pry bar can open all locked doors. 

If both options are available this makes the prybar OP and to nerf increase time taken to pry open.  Pry at the door hinges and this would double the action and time taken to gain access.

One door I would have liked to pry open is the CHD door, but now the walk on the ledge has been fixed so less of an issue.

You may be right about them testing the two ideas at Milton.  I think being able to pry open the CHD door would be good as an additional option since one could still use the trek across the dam's edge as an alternative if they didn't have a prybar on them.

I'm not really in favor of car doors being locked since the odds of being able to pry the door open while being tagged by a wolf are pretty slim... but, as I said, it would beat having to match a key found on a corpse to a specific lock since the loot on corpses is currently also random.  Even if they de-randomized corpse loot with respect to keys such that the key to a locked car was always found on the nearest corpse to it... well, not all cars have corpses anywhere near them, not all corpses are even found lying out in the open.

Edited by UpUpAway95

6 hours ago, Ice Hole said:

I wonder if the idea of using keys versus prybars was tested in Milton.

5 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

You may be right about them testing the two ideas at Milton....
I'm not really in favor of car doors being locked...

Agreed :)
Considering both of those features are coincidently found in that region (and nowhere else that I am aware of), it seems a reasonable conclusion.  Good observation.

Yeah, I'd given this more thought as well, and I feel you're right in both cases (having to fumble around with keys or waiting on prying car doors would probably be a determent to game play).

• Upvote 1