Most Dangerous Locations

Klobberthon

Anyone care to share their list of extremely dangerous (specific) locations?  I'll start with a couple I've noticed in my last couple runs:

• Coastal Highway at the easternmost path up the cliffs, at the bend with retaining walls on each side - there's a bear camped and nearly always 1-2 wolves. I've found it difficult to bypass.
  • The ditch nearest to Desolation Point in Crumbling Highway seems to be a deathtrap.  I've started traveling way around on the ice through there.
  • In Desolation Point, the intersections between the main road and both paths leading to the lighthouse and the whale processing area.  Wolves here have ended many of my interloper attempts :/ 
  • Quonset Garage (the wolves' version of fort Knox...)

There's a cave in Hushed River Valley with bear spawn to the left of the entrance, and a wolf spawn to the right. Couple that with the cold and lack of equipment available there, and can be a death trap. You can't leave because there's predators outside; if you stay in and wait for them to leave you have to keep warm, but you can't go out and collect fuel because of the wolves. And you have no weapon. Oh, and you can chuck in a couple of auroras on consecutive nights for good measure, too, if you like.

On 6/25/2018 at 7:05 PM, Pillock said:

There's a cave in Hushed River Valley with bear spawn to the left of the entrance, and a wolf spawn to the right. Couple that with the cold and lack of equipment available there, and can be a death trap. You can't leave because there's predators outside; if you stay in and wait for them to leave you have to keep warm, but you can't go out and collect fuel because of the wolves. And you have no weapon. Oh, and you can chuck in a couple of auroras on consecutive nights for good measure, too, if you like.

I doubt I'd chance such a dangerous area with no rifle, not that I've had much luck with it against bears.

2 hours ago, electricblue said:

I doubt I'd chance such a dangerous area with no rifle, not that I've had much luck with it against bears.

Ha! I'm in the same boat. I've started to just shoot bears from a huge distance and then run like a coward into my house, where I cower in fear until I think it has bled out ?

On 6/25/2018 at 10:00 PM, Klobberthon said:

Anyone care to share their list of . . .

This depends upon the level at which you are playing, or the custom settings that you have made.  Without such details it's difficult to relate your difficulties to other people's difficulties.

One issue that has pissed me off is wolves at Quonset Garage at Stalker level.  It took the enjoyment out of the game.  After 130 days at Stalker level I thought this is not fun, and next game I played at Voyager.

18 minutes ago, peteloud said:

This depends upon the level at which you are playing, or the custom settings that you have made.  Without such details it's difficult to relate your difficulties to other people's difficulties.

Is it?  Seems to me that wolves tend to hang out in some particular areas no matter what difficulty.  The map is the same as well, so areas with short sight-lines, lack of (or distance from) safe refuge, and other factors that make a location 'dangerous' still apply.

I just thought it'd be fun to hear about places that others have mentally marked as deadly.

I know there's a few places I avoid like the plague. 

• Crumbling highway near the basement house. To tight an area wolves always seem to get me there
  • Trail Derailment on Mystery Lake , sure there's good loot there but usually waste a bullet scaring off wolves to get it
  • Spenser Homestead by the woodshed 3 wolves usually either here or the bunkhouses 
  • Entering Forlorn Muskeg from Mystery Lake skirting the western side, wolves and thin ice by the high cliff make it a dangerous passage
  • Coastal Highway Quonset and fishing huts area Bears and wolves always the trouble making unsafe crafting conditions 
  • Lighthouse to the church pathway on Desolation Point , high banks where wolves catch you off guard 
  • Forest Cave area on Timberwolf Mountain again wolf central around the cargo box there along with the bear
  • Pleasant Valley out building (red barn) good loot but always sneaky wolf in the area

• Dam entrance in ML. Killed 2 wolves, their corpses around the truck there, and still I couldn't cross the bridge with the third wolf waiting for me on the other side.
  • CH road going up to the lookout from the east. A wolf just jumps on you over some snow pile without warning.
  • Milton Orca Gas station. Back exit can lead directly into wolf fight.

Well I went to Broken Railroad to visit the Hunting Lodge. I stayed the night at the Maintenance Yard and next morning decided to take a hike to the lodge. Didn't get very far before ALL of the lake area wolves attacked me. Fortunately I had a gun and I managed to shoot all of them before they jumped on me except one of them which didn't hurt me that bad. I walked across the lake to the Hunter's Blind and read a book for a while to recover a little bit condition (I don't feel safe unless I have almost full condition). I was about to leave as I saw a bear walking towards the blind. So I took my rifle, aimed and shot it right to the face. It didn't die but it was fine by me because I knew it was gonna bleed out soon. I was standing INSIDE the blind and started to pass time and I saw the bear running towards me and it ATTACKED ME WHILE I WAS INSIDE THE BLIND. Oh my fucking god I almost had a heart attack, I was so sure that the bear couldn't get me from that blind. 

The bear bled out like five minutes after that and I slept for a few hours to regain condition (it was like 5%) and decided to take a shot and take the bear's hide and guts and try to run back to Maintenance Yard. I was like 2 meters from the back door when wolf attacked and I died instantly. Do NOT go there.

23 minutes ago, Klobberthon said:

@laavis @Cr41g Is it a bug or are we meant to be exposed in a hunting blind?  I've never faced down an angry predator in one to find out

I think it's a bug because it would't make sense that wildlife could attack you through the floor and walls. I believe it's a "known" fact that the blinds are used to get to safety from predators. Either way I'll be much more careful in the future, I'm way too young to die from a heart attack.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Easily broken railroad. I went there just to loot and ran into 4 wolves without a weapon, wound up spending over a week in the maintenance shed with intestinal parasites. I don’t consider myself bad at the game, but going there was a stupid move, especially when I was sick.

On 7/7/2018 at 3:44 PM, Doc Feral said:

Talking about dangerously places, I just nicknamed the path to DP's lighthouse "Satan's buttcrack". Never met less than two wolves in a row there, and it has negligible line of sight and zero alternative routes.

Not true on the alternative routes. There are at least 2 "easy" ones up the rocks at the LH, from the ice, near the coastline. A third, more tircky one as well, that can get you stuck if you go the wrong way. But, yeah. You do have to cross open ice, and hope fog does not roll in while you are doing so, or you may walk onto weak ice rather than up to the rocks that the LH  and the bridges sit on.Poor dead dude often found on the rocks behind the LH took a wrong turn. ;)

Archived