First-Person Presence for eating and ... !!! POLL

alone sniper

First-Person Presence   

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Joelle Emmily said:

I'm assuming passive cooking includes water harvesting, because being able to walk away from melting multiple liters of water would be a bonus. Or cooking multiple items.

Yep. Would be nice to mend some clothes while the water's boiling and the meat's cooking. It's more realistic and gives us more time to explore places and put wolves on the list of endangered species ;) 

All animations that currently happen on accelerated time would require accelerated speed animations. It it's that way, then ok. It can actually be fun to see. Otherwise, I don't think it's a good idea for those.

I wouldn't mind seeing my hands a little when sprinting, Mirror's Edge is a good example about this and really works well.

Adding animations to everything doesnt mean wed have to see the whole action  take place, a little part of it would be fine while the bars loading, assasins creed had you harvest an animal where you stab it as the screen fades black and voila when the screen returns its harvested fully.

As for eating animations, i dont like, the devs would have to work on animations for several types of food and id rather have them work on other things like chopping saplings, putting your hand up when a strong gust of wind hits your face. Etc.

5 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

Adding animations to everything doesnt mean wed have to see the whole action  take place, a little part of it would be fine while the bars loading, assasins creed had you harvest an animal where you stab it as the screen fades black and voila when the screen returns its harvested fully.

I agree.

Who, in real life, devotes their entire attention to watching their hands turn on a light switch, open the fridge, pulling the flush, etc?  But that's exactly what we've gotten so far from 1st person animations.  That amazing minimalism of the art style got kicked to the curb and instead we get super detailed and super slow animations.  "Cut scenes" you're forced to watch before you can continue play, for something you'll do hundreds or thousands of times over the course of your time with the TLD.  Ugh!  

It's immersion breaking for me, and after about 100 hours of gameplay with the new animations I actually avoid using certain light sources because because of them.  I'd gladly pay full price to buy a version of the game that had the old versions of the animations.  Better yet, animations that jived with the minimalist genius of the art style.  I have an imagination, let me use it!

3 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

I agree.

Who, in real life, devotes their entire attention to watching their hands turn on a light switch, open the fridge, pulling the flush, etc?  But that's exactly what we've gotten so far from 1st person animations.  That amazing minimalism of the art style got kicked to the curb and instead we get super detailed and super slow animations.  "Cut scenes" you're forced to watch before you can continue play, for something you'll do hundreds or thousands of times over the course of your time with the TLD.  Ugh!  

It's immersion breaking for me, and after about 100 hours of gameplay with the new animations I actually avoid using certain light sources because because of them.  I'd gladly pay full price to buy a version of the game that had the old versions of the animations.  Better yet, animations that jived with the minimalist genius of the art style.  I have an imagination, let me use it!

Agree one hundred per cent. I thought the old animations were an integral part of the overall style of the game, and made it all the more unique. Minimalism in terms of volume of content as well as style. The first person animations are almost like the voiceover version of Blade Runner.

Gosh, first aid animations would be awesome. Hopefully, first aid system will get a bit more complex (maybe to something like Metal Gear 3? I remember feeling like a combat surgeon trying to save "myself" on this scene xD : 

Unfortunately he does it too fast here, but if you go pausing the video during the "procedure" you can get a feeling of how many items you have to treat wounds. Something like this, but with first person presence in TLD would be seriously amazing!

First person presence is only immersive if the animations are doing what you the player would actually do.  i.e. Holding a lantern in front of my face is not normal so that obviously is not my hand doing it.  

Rather they put some work in something else like the animals not tipping over sideways when walking on non-level ground or allowing the view to pan up during the otherwise merciless long waiting stare at the floor while your fire decides if it started.  

I like the animations, but i think they heve been made for the wrong things.

I would like to see first person presence whenever you normally would see a bar filling up (so something that takes time like harvesting, drinking/eating and so on)

Right now i feel the animations produce a bad gameplay because it takes to much time to pick something up, switch from a lantern to a flare and so on.

If there would be an animation instead of a boring bar filling up, it would add to the game and don't hurt the gameplay. Right now, the animations only hurt the gameplay because they are used for things younormally can do instantly. After the update, i most of the time hear the annoying "fail sound" (like windows fail) because the game does not allow me to pick something up or to switch items. That's why the only really working animation is when you scare off a wolf with the flare because it does not change the gameplay.

1 hour ago, MueckE said:

I like the animations, but i think they heve been made for the wrong things.

I would like to see first person presence whenever you normally would see a bar filling up (so something that takes time like harvesting, drinking/eating and so on)

Agreed! But for lighting the lantern this is already the case i think ... ?

On 2016-09-26 at 2:50 AM, MarrowStone said:

As for eating animations, i dont like, the devs would have to work on animations for several types of food and id rather have them work on other things like chopping saplings, putting your hand up when a strong gust of wind hits your face. Etc.

Basically my opinion. Minimalist approach to increase immersion but not to the point of it being a cut scene.

Hard to tell what actions would or should have first person presence. First Aid should definitely have something and I think it'd make a nice addition to fire starting too. I'm against hands for eating and drinking (especially since then food items would need to be animated). The remaining items would really depend on how Hinterlands chooses to animate them whether or not they'd be intrusive or immersive. 

4 hours ago, cekivi said:

Basically my opinion. Minimalist approach to increase immersion but not to the point of it being a cut scene.

Hard to tell what actions would or should have first person presence.

Exactly. For example, to chop up a sapling with a hatchet, the character gives it two or three swoops with the axe while that bars loading and poof, its in youre inventory.

As for animations, im personally a fan of misc ones that occur due to a reaction to the environment.

For example, wouldnt it be cool to have your character raise their hand to block a strong gust of wind?

Or if you stare at the fire a few seconds, your hands reach out to it for warmth?

Archived