Slipping on ice !!!

alone sniper

I'm not sure I like the idea. Sure, it adds realism to the game, but it also makes it even harder and frustrating.

This might be mitigated if ice/snow grips were added to the game - which then give cause for repair, which adds a further need for the toolbox and scrap metal, which I'm a big advocate of, since they've been made pretty much redundant, ever since the introduction of the cleaning rifle/sharpening hatchett & knife mechanic.

But then one might wonder: why stop at slipping on ice? There are lots of steep angles and precarious rock edges out there which would cause one to slip in real life.

I've seen players ignore the ropes to traverse down a cliff in daredevil ways without any sort of problem, where people in real life would never take the risk of mechanical injury.

Just now, TWM said:

I've seen players ignore the ropes to traverse down a cliff in daredevil ways without any sort of problem, where people in real life would never take the risk of mechanical injury.

I have to admit, I am guilty of that. Zigzagging down the mountain at Coastal Highway is my goto-strategy whenever I encounter a bear up there. I do get sprains relatively frequently there though :D 

1 minute ago, TWM said:

This might be mitigated if ice/snow grips were added to the game - which then give cause for repair, which adds a further need for the toolbox and scrap metal, which I'm a big advocate of, since they've been made pretty much redundant, ever since the introduction of the cleaning rifle/sharpening hatchett & knife mechanic.

This is a very good idea. Lately it seems that toolboxes are just... there.

I think story modes holding out on things you can do with toolboxes atm, what i think should be implemented is that you use the sharpener when the hatchet/knife is above 20 percent, anywhere below that uses the old method of repairing, with a toolbox and fir wood + scrap

As for the actual topic, slipping should only occur while sprinting to avoid an annoying rng implemented where its always a risk.  That way theres a risk/reward to it. Otherwise id never go beachcombing or anything on ice knowing my luck.

2 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

As for the actual topic, slipping should only occur while sprinting to avoid an annoying rng implemented where its always a risk.  That way theres a risk/reward to it. Otherwise id never go beachcombing or anything on ice knowing my luck.

That's also a good idea. Now that I think about it, when I walk slowly over ice IRL I barely ever slip

Slipping on ice? ice is everywhere, this topic is pretty broad if you ask me. are you saying if you have basic runners /shoes you get more sprains? which would make new players harder to survive!

As for the new beach combing, I think that should be more weight based, the heavier you are more chance your going for a swim.

+1 to a lot of this. To my mind, slipping on ice should be a factor, and sprinting on ice should at least carry a significantly increased risk of a fall which in turn risks a sprained wrist or two.

On a sidebar, and without wishing to derail the thread, I have a couple of questions - firstly, do boots with ankle support reduce the risk of spraining an ankle? Secondly, is there a risk of dropping stuff when you're sprinting?

15 hours ago, alone sniper said:

Hi guys !!! :)

How you doing ??? ^_^ 

Slipping on ice , depends on the type of shoe , can cause sprained ankle !!! (Very exciting When you try to escape from wolf on ML !!! ) 

what is your idea??? ^_^

Its a good idea. But it would get very annoying.

+1 for slipping on ice game mechanic

I think slipping on ice should only occur if you are:

1. Sprinting
  2. Over Encumbered
  3. Exhausted
  4. Traveling During Bad Weather w/ High Winds
  5. Traveling in the Dark

Each condition would then increase your chances of slipping while traveling on ice by 2%, so the probability of you slipping would max-out at 10% (which can only occur while using an emergency stim-pack, since you normally can't sprint while you are exhausted).

Also, slipping on ice would not only guarantee a sprained ankle, but would also have a small chance of spraining your wrists once either one ankle or both of them have been sprained (maybe 5% for each ankle, so 10% when both ankles are sprained).

Man, aren't I just a tidy, little masochist! :insanity_fluffy:

What do you guys think? :normal:

On 9/26/2016 at 10:01 AM, alone sniper said:

Hi guys !!! :)

How you doing ??? ^_^ 

Slipping on ice , depends on the type of shoe , can cause sprained ankle !!! (Very exciting When you try to escape from wolf on ML !!! ) 

what is your idea??? ^_^

Would you limit this new danger to frozen lakes/ponds/coastline? Or did you mean any ice anywhere?

1 hour ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Would you limit this new danger to frozen lakes/ponds/coastline? Or did you mean any ice anywhere?

Hi @Patrick Carlson !! ^_^ 

I mean it should be limited to frozen lakes/ponds/coastline since all the maps are covered with ice and snow!!

And (maybe)  see some First-Person Presence for this !! (falling on your face !! (And maybe quick time event for using your hand for avoid falling on your face !!))   :D

I would make it ice anywhere but I like the idea @Muk_Pile had for the limit.

newbies can rest away sprains (perhaps a tweak to that which does not require full on rest. For example, reading a book for 4 hours could count as resting for a sprain since you would be, as should repairing clothes could "rest" a foot sprain. just my opinion though.

Would make you think harder about your routes you take, and certain foot ware could reduce the risk some? (add that element now and when you finally add snowshoes or traction elements it will be there?)

I like this. But I don't think it should be tied to footwear. I've slipped in shoes just as easily as my nice winter boots! ^_^

I would offer instead that a calm, sunny day walking would have zero risk of slipping and getting a sprain. Nighttime, poor visibility, wind (clears snow off ice) and sprinting should all increase the chance of slipping if you're traversing ice.

I'm not sure how realistic having slippery ice is. For the most part, the temperatures in game are very low, which would cause supercooled water droplets from vapor condensation, which would lead to granulation on ice surfaces. The reason ice is slippery in cities, is because water vapor stays warmer longer, and allows smoother surface formation. It's one of the reasons the canal is pretty bad for skating, the air is cooler in the corridor. Now if you had a period of the day where water could reach it's triple point, then you'd get some back breaking ice patches, but with a constant well below freezing... you'd just get bumpy crappy ice that's no good for slide'n.

8 hours ago, Joelle Emmily said:

I'm not sure how realistic having slippery ice is. For the most part, the temperatures in game are very low, which would cause supercooled water droplets from vapor condensation, which would lead to granulation on ice surfaces. The reason ice is slippery in cities, is because water vapor stays warmer longer, and allows smoother surface formation. It's one of the reasons the canal is pretty bad for skating, the air is cooler in the corridor. Now if you had a period of the day where water could reach it's triple point, then you'd get some back breaking ice patches, but with a constant well below freezing... you'd just get bumpy crappy ice that's no good for slide'n.

Totally agree. Not only about realism but I don't want to make the world "dangerous" without ways of counterbalancing it without stress for the player. You can already get sprained if you do bad things or push your character too much. Would be redunant at best.

@Joelle Emmily you're normally right but there are still plenty of opportunities for clear black ice to form in the winter. The sun can melt the ice's surface so it reforms smooth, rain can result in smooth ice, water can bubble up through cracks and form ice, etc. etc. I know when I'm ice fishing the ice's surface is usually either granular or covered in snow. However, there are times when the ice is clear black, the snow's been blown off by the wind and it's as slippery as a skating rink.

Plus, even rougher ice can be slipped on. Just ask anyone who's tried curling! :big_smile:

In short, your arguments are a good for why your character shouldn't constantly slip but I still think slippery ice has a nice additional immersion factor to it.

12 hours ago, Joelle Emmily said:

Slippery ice is fine. Ice has a habit of liquefying under pressure due to the friction generated between ice crystals when compressed. Stepping on ice creates a very thin layer of water just under your sole. It's this principle that allows ice skaters to glide over the ice with minimal resistance by creating a thin layer of water beneath the skaters blades, allowing them to hydroplane over the surface. Stiffer soles that yield less with pressure, along with greater loads amplify this effect, and so you are more likely to slip. 

Archived