Home

Yimnam

What's your favourite place to call home? Where usually you make main base and gather your stuff, or go back from long trip thinking "finally home"? Or maybe you don't gather more than you can carry and don't stay anywhere for longer?
From my first run in Wintermute, when I didn't play survival yet, Camp Office was place I first saw and knew I just want to stay there and call it mine. I've looked for new one but I didn't find anything as perfect.

I'm curious if you have any different spots, where you know it doesn't matter where you start game you will settle there and nowhere else?

screen_a650839d-a48f-4f75-83e9-60177ef20884_hi.thumb.png.01b852b71eb1da5bb023624a9feefc55.png

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

You picture is exactly right for me, it's Camp Office.

Every time I plan a trip to a new region or whatever, I always feel a pull to get back to Camp Office afterwards to 'regroup', even if I have no real reason to be back in Mystery Lake.

• Upvote 2

Mine has always been PV farm... I did briefly try trappers but it was too quiet for me... I do like mystery lake and visit it more than most places but I love the farm and open spaces around it... Episode three was my favourite and it's stuck in my heart .

• Upvote 4

I do like it, but I feel like it's too big? I tried few times to settle there but I use kitchen mostly and I don't even go upstairs. 
And crafting in dark is frustrating. But placement is as good.

• Upvote 1

It is a bit big,but there's plenty of storage,and floor space for hides..   craftings ok if you do it dawn til dusk.i tend to just sleep down there if im doing a long session...  Plenty of food wandering by,despite the no bears bug at the moment ..

I do like sleeping in the porch more than the bedroom lol....  It's plenty warm enough and some great views in-between naps.

• Upvote 3

Pleasant Valley Farmhouse is definitely my home during long runs. I always return to there after long trips or when I need a break from the game. Just feels right to leave your survivor in their comfiest place whilst going off and doing things in the real world, and return ready for another adventure! (Even if it takes a while to remember where everything is 😄)

• Upvote 1

It's a sensible choice given how central it is on the map too (for Lower Great Bear anyway). Mystery Lake can feel like a long trek home sometimes, I admit. PV is like 'if you lived here you'd be home by now'.

• Upvote 1

I've tried having endgame main bases in trappers, camp office and dam but I get restless. At the moment I prefer Mountaineer's hut in TWM for fishing and rich wildlife. If you drag heaps of metal, a few sets of improvised tools and whetstones etc you can remain there for a while. Though the nearest forge is far away and finding firewood is tedious, this nuisance keeps the restlessness at bay. My main storage remains the dam for obvious reasons.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, xanna said:

Mystery Lake can feel like a long trek home sometimes, I admit.

Seriously? I feel like it's exactly in middle of everything and office is exactly in middle of it. With Far Territory at all.
But most of cool places like Mountaineer' hut or Island Cottage are cool only for while because it's always far.

I know I've mentioned it before in a few threads, but I have to say that the Mountaineer's Hut there on Crystal Lake (at the base of Timberwolf Mountain) is still my favorite place to live.  

On 5/26/2019 at 3:24 PM, ManicManiac said:

I think the Mystery Lake Camp Office will always be home in our hearts (at least for those of us who remember when Mystery Lake was the only region in the game)... But nowadays, home is the Mountaineer's Hut in Timber Wolf Mountain.  :)

And also, I love that we have a Crystal Lake in this game :D 

On 2/5/2020 at 1:45 PM, ManicManiac said:

At present, my favorite place to live is Timberwolf Mountain.  I really love the variety of paths and terrain, as well as the abundance of game for hunting (in most cases you have good access to every kind of pelt).  Also, fishing... fishing is always good for the food stocks and lanterns. :D 

Don't get me wrong, Mystery Lake will always be home to me.  I think it will always be home for those of us who've been playing since the days when Mystery Lake was our entire world.

I do, also, really enjoy Desolation Point and Forlorn Muskeg... but in the end I'd have to settle on Timberwolf Mountain as top of my list.

On 2/3/2023 at 10:41 PM, ManicManiac said:

For me, Mystery Lake will always be home.  When I first found Great Bear Island, Mystery Lake was the only region we had access to.
However, Timberwolf Mountain is my favorite region to live in.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

• Upvote 1

I never really had a home base when I played. Even within the same map I would have multiple places I would stay.

For example in mystery lake I would typically stay in either the trapper cabin, the camp office, the other little cabin in the back, or the boxes by the dam. Which one I chose was simply the place I was close to when I wanted to sleep. That doesn't mean I wouldn't stay at any other place with a bed when that was more convenient. Home is wherever you can get your basic needs met.

Mine was Camp Office for a long time but now, ı choose Pleasant Valley Farmstead. It really gives you a lot of space, storage, stove with six slots and many many more. Of course ı had a main base in each region like Grey Mothers home in MT or Camp Office in ML but ı consider spending a lof of time around PV (quick visiting to loot to Ash Canyon, Timberwolf Mountain and maybe Blackrock) and Mollys farmstead will be my home.

If Lonely Lighthouse was in Coastal Highway or more center of the map, ı may be choose lighthouse too.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

There are definitely places more practical than Camp Office - anywhere with a six-burner stove for a start, as @conanjaguar points out. It's an easy spot for rabbits and fishing, but hunting in Mystery Lake is dreadful unless you get a critical hit first shot because tracking bleeding prey is a nightmare on that terrain. I can't defend my choice for those reasons, but it just feels like home. The weather is the easiest of anywhere IMO, I feel comfortable with where the predators are. I feel safe, I think that's it. Nowhere else has me feeling safe the way Camp Office does.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

@xanna True. Even Milton is harder because of wolves. It feels safe and anytime I enter Mystery Lake I feel like I'm already home even if I have long way to cabin yet.
But I feel it's good for hunting. You have ptarmigans next to your house, two good places for rabbit traps near, fishing huts (new fishing update helps but before I couldn't imagine not having it because it's relaxing way for foggy days) deers roam preety close and tracking them by blood is a lot of fun without risk of being lost. There are wolves and bears so it's not boring. I didn't see a moose for some time maybe some update messed up but when  it spawns it does in really comfortable places for long waiting for it. I hunt for furs mostly there.
Six burner stove is fave but two is enough for most of time and I won't exchange it for not having crafting table or having it in uncomfortable place. I like to craft while cooking.
I love the most that I use literally all it's space but it is not to small too. Milton house, PV farmhouse or Huting lodge are wonderfull but a bit overwhelming for me. And airfield island cabin or Mountaineer hut are too small and quickly become boring when I stay longer.
And Camp Office is house I could have irl . Not too big not too small. Space for living, space for crafting and pretty lake is basically all I need.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Yimnam said:

deers roam preety close and tracking them by blood is a lot of fun without risk of being lost.

You speak for yourself here 😊 I often get very frustrated tracking in ML and lose my prey more often than not. I find it one of the harder regions for tracking. I can still get lost, too!

• Upvote 2

The lighthouse at Desolation Point is my favorite place (probably in the entire game).  But the Quonset garage is often my place where I gather all my stuff, or the town hall in Thompsons Crossing, sometimes the Camp office, the gerage shop in Broken Railroad, as well as the cabin in TWM.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Third Try said:

The lighthouse at Desolation Point is my favorite place (probably in the entire game).  But the Quonset garage is often my place where I gather all my stuff, or the town hall in Thompsons Crossing, sometimes the Camp office, the gerage shop in Broken Railroad, as well as the cabin in TWM.

I really like Quonset for endgame (unfortunately it doesn't like me back). It checks so many boxes. Close to a forge, close to fishing, an abundance of firewood, a moose spawn and a bear route in the yard, indoor cooking, crafting table, excellent storage, etc etc. But I haven't used Quonset as base for years. Too many of my survivors have died from surprise wolf attacks among the yard clutter and the surroundings. Perhaps it's more doable now that we have a protective vest? Anyway, I'm curious how you handle the wolf threat long-term? If I were to use it as main base again I would probably eliminate the population one by one and drop the occasional meat to lure possible spawns from their hiding places.

Speaking of the maintenance yard in BR, I think it much resembles the advantages and disadvantages of Quonset. But I find the wolves less of a threat since you can shoot their brains out from the cold office window.

• Upvote 2

On 2/5/2024 at 4:51 PM, xanna said:

I never thought to sleep on the porch there, what a good idea

Front porch (right off of the kitchen) is considered an indoor location (hence, it's warm), so sleeping on the porch will add to cabin fever risk.

Back porches are outside.

If cabin fever is an issue, nothing beats BR. The office building next to the Maintenance Shed is considered outdoors, even though it's warm and sheltered.

-t

• Upvote 1

On 2/9/2024 at 4:55 PM, hozz1235 said:

I want a place where I can walk out my front door without having a predator ready to eat me.

Ash Canyon - upper plateau where Foreman's Retreat is located. There's a bear that can be easily and safely hunted, but no wolves for miles. Handful of deer and some rabbits. I've levied up there exclusively for more than 50 days, mostly off of the bear. Not sure if with scurvy, that's viable.

Bonus: outdoor crafting bench. 

-t

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, turtle777 said:

Front porch (right off of the kitchen) is considered an indoor location (hence, it's warm), so sleeping on the porch will add to cabin fever risk.

Back porches are outside.

If cabin fever is an issue, nothing beats BR. The office building next to the Maintenance Shed is considered outdoors, even though it's warm and sheltered.

-t

good point