Home

Yimnam

On 2/11/2024 at 9:52 AM, turtle777 said:

Ash Canyon - upper plateau where Foreman's Retreat is located. There's a bear that can be easily and safely hunted, but no wolves for miles. Handful of deer and some rabbits. I've levied up there exclusively for more than 50 days, mostly off of the bear. Not sure if with scurvy, that's viable.

Bonus: outdoor crafting bench. 

-t

Those are attractive features; however, I don't care for AC so would probably not call it "home".

-h

Edited by hozz1235

I’ve mixed it up in different runs, but among my favorites are Trapper’s, Mountaineer’s Hut, and Jackrabbit Island. I’ve probably spent the most time on Jackrabbit. It’s got no sheltered cooking but the weather is good enough to permit campfires with minimal inconvenience, and it’s got excellent access to beachcombing, hunting, fishing, and trapping without having to worry about wolves lurking right outside the door. If you don’t mind making semi-frequent trips to, e.g., a workbench, it’s a lovely spot. 

• Upvote 3

I always used the Fishing Village in Coastal Highway as my main base. Fairly close to a Forge (Riken in Desolation Point), and close to the Carter Hydro-dam. Outdoor cooking & Fishing in the fishing hut. Even after exploring other regions, I always loved coming back to the coast, with the sound of the sea. I also have fond memories of this location recovering from intestinal parasites (on interloper).

However, this was 4-5- years ago. I started a new run a few days ago (after a few years), and it now seems there is a murdering fluffball roaming between the fishing hut and the cabins. Maybe I will live here later when I'm fully geared up, when I can pacify the area first. Otherwise, I need to find another location.

However, on interloper I usually have 1-2 bases per region, and I constantly migrate.

For me is the Mindful Cabin in Forsaken Airfield. It's the home i would want...great views and most of all i can see outside from the inside ... is a necessary thing for me otherwise it would seems "fake". It have 2 major problems A) no "interior" containers so food that has to be kept inside will deteriorate fast B) is very far away from everything ... Both things are not a problem for me since i moved there day 600, so i enjoy long trips and all the "inside" food remained (little) was consumed already (except many peaches/corn cans left for recipes)

I really hope that in the last map/s there is a great isolated cabin with external views (and "real" windows) and some "interior" containers .

• Upvote 2

I have been exploring the area for several days and I think that a good solution is the combination of Mindfull Cabin with the drift island cottage, since you have the workbench, two fishing huts, a nearby moose and even a bear that you can attract to the doorstep of Mindfull cabin to cook it.

What I really miss in these cabins is a real kitchen like the one at Paradise Farm.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, javijungle said:

I have been exploring the area for several days and I think that a good solution is the combination of Mindfull Cabin with the drift island cottage, since you have the workbench, two fishing huts, a nearby moose and even a bear that you can attract to the doorstep of Mindfull cabin to cook it.

What I really miss in these cabins is a real kitchen like the one at Paradise Farm.

I also started a Pilgrim run to explore the area, and I have to admit that both Mindful Cabin and Island Cottage are absolutely gorgeous locations. If these location had a six-burner stove, I might never leave. :)

But since I do most of my cooking outside to avoid cabin fever, this is not that big of a problem.

One thing that worries me is the temperature on interloper. Can you sleep in these cabins (in full clothing) on interloper without a fire and not freeze to death? Even on Pilgrim, the region was very cold.

In my experience there are never problem of freezing inside, but i play a modified stalker difficulty ... The climate of the regions is horrible (-45 and more) but inside there is a steady temperature , that i think will not change THAT much in interloper.

And that lead me to another problem of living in the mindful cabin, the weather... Always stormy with very few beautiful skies (Forlorn Muskeg have the best ones). That makes also little trips a bit dangerous since you can also get a bit lost.  I really hope that in the next region there would be the "definitive" home...

Edited by Frantz70
  • Upvote 1

I generally stick with PV farm as my main base for consolidating all my gear, and have well-established spots there where I always stash the same sorts of stuff, so I know where to look for whatever I need. That said tho, I kinda see the farm as more of a home for my loot, rather than for my character (even tho I've taken to calling it Home Farm - I'm sure some other UK players might guess how I got that name got stuck in my head). I know where the main bulk of my stuff is, so my character's home is kinda just wherever I've set up with good supplies in the region I happen to be in - I really only ever stop wandering for long enough to craft gear or add to the meat pile before moving on elsewhere.

Trapper's in ML is probably my main character "home", but I love TWM so the Mountaineer's Hut tends to feel quite comfortable too (even with that hole in the roof!). Paradise Meadows kinda feels about the right size for somewhere I might actually like to live (tho the locals are a bit rowdy, admittedly), and it seems like I'm in the minority in always favouring The Riken when I spend time in DP (with my cooking fire always up in the ship's bridge). I don't really spend much time in CH, as Quonset is really the only location that ticks all the boxes, but it's far from homey and has the worst neighbours, and nowhere else in that region really suits me for a base. Other than that it's just the nearest cabin or cave where I've already stashed a decent supply of food, fuel & water (or in early game, where I know I can easily hunt/gather to get those supplies sorted), and I always make sure to have plenty of those spots set up all over the island.

Mostly tho, I'd have to say my main home is my sleeping bag/quilted bedroll and 2 best cookpots. So long as I have those, I know home is never too far away. ^_^

• Upvote 2

On 2/19/2024 at 6:43 AM, WillemD said:

I always used the Fishing Village in Coastal Highway as my main base. Fairly close to a Forge (Riken in Desolation Point), and close to the Carter Hydro-dam. Outdoor cooking & Fishing in the fishing hut. Even after exploring other regions, I always loved coming back to the coast, with the sound of the sea. I also have fond memories of this location recovering from intestinal parasites (on interloper).

However, this was 4-5- years ago. I started a new run a few days ago (after a few years), and it now seems there is a murdering fluffball roaming between the fishing hut and the cabins. Maybe I will live here later when I'm fully geared up, when I can pacify the area first. Otherwise, I need to find another location.

However, on interloper I usually have 1-2 bases per region, and I constantly migrate.

I too favor the Fishing Village in Coastal Highway as my main base.  I have spent hundreds of days in Coastal Highway on my current Voyageur run (Day 1680) and end up accumulating most of my valuable resources (ammunition, arrows, birch saplings, maple saplings, matches) at these cabins.  In addition I have added five rock caches at this location for extra storage.

I periodically travel to ML, MT, PV and TWM to repair clothing and bedrolls stashed at Camp Office, Milton Trailer, PV Farmhouse and the Mountaineer's Hut.  They are all significant bases in their own right but all pale in comparison to my setup at CH's Fishing Village.

The windfalls provided by beach combing (at least on Voyageur) provide a steady supply of birch saplings, maple saplings, cloth, leather and tools as well as occasional matches and rifle rounds.

Living exclusively on the ice at CH is a viable option after stocking each of the 9 fishing huts with 30 kilos of firewood, cured guts, cured hides and extra cloth and leather.  Traveling from fishing hut to fishing hut along well marked paths over the ice all but eliminates unpleasant wildlife encounters.  

The downside to the unwary at the Fishing Village is the bear that walks past the cabins and the wolf that patrols the ice beyond the dock.  Killing the bear every 15 days from the safety of the nearest fishing hut and hunting the wolf from the dock provides for relative peace for long stretches at the Fishing Village.

My favorite base is the Quonset. Plenty of storage, indoor fire, workbenches. The nearby cars offer protection and easy hunting of the wildlife. There’s usually a bear, wolf, or occasionally a moose around. Foods plentiful on stalker. I love collecting and displaying all my collected goods, foods, tools, and everything in it. Had to start storing things in a nearby house.

everytime I come back from a trip there’s always new things to hunt. The coasts tend to get packed with beach combing goods.

9 hours ago, Blizzard Walker said:

I too favor the Fishing Village in Coastal Highway as my main base.  I have spent hundreds of days in Coastal Highway on my current Voyageur run (Day 1680) and end up accumulating most of my valuable resources (ammunition, arrows, birch saplings, maple saplings, matches) at these cabins.  In addition I have added five rock caches at this location for extra storage.

I periodically travel to ML, MT, PV and TWM to repair clothing and bedrolls stashed at Camp Office, Milton Trailer, PV Farmhouse and the Mountaineer's Hut.  They are all significant bases in their own right but all pale in comparison to my setup at CH's Fishing Village.

The windfalls provided by beach combing (at least on Voyageur) provide a steady supply of birch saplings, maple saplings, cloth, leather and tools as well as occasional matches and rifle rounds.

Living exclusively on the ice at CH is a viable option after stocking each of the 9 fishing huts with 30 kilos of firewood, cured guts, cured hides and extra cloth and leather.  Traveling from fishing hut to fishing hut along well marked paths over the ice all but eliminates unpleasant wildlife encounters.  

The downside to the unwary at the Fishing Village is the bear that walks past the cabins and the wolf that patrols the ice beyond the dock.  Killing the bear every 15 days from the safety of the nearest fishing hut and hunting the wolf from the dock provides for relative peace for long stretches at the Fishing Village.

On interloper, once you have a bow, you can probably live in Fishing village. If you kill the bear, he will be gone for 40-50 days. If you make a fire outside the fishing hut, you can attract wolves with smell, and shoot them to pacify the area. And you should probably use tinder to make a storm-line on the ice towards the cabin, so you find your way in a blizzard. As for fuel, one trip to the coal mine (PV transition cave) should provide plenty of coal. One full day of fishing combats cabin fever, and you get enough fish to not get scurvy. Still, the area feel unsafe, wolves are quite unpredictable. I think this run, I will try to make a fishing setup in the fishing hut between Jackrabbit and Misanthrope. If need be, I can always retreat to Jackrabbit island.

10 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Am I the only one not finding much beachcombing?    Last time I checked,after a blizzard there were only 6 things,3 of which were so far over the cracked ice I couldn't even get near them..

Leeanda, if I recall you play on Pilgrim and the beach combing bounty should be at least as good as what I experience on Voyageur.  I cannot explain why you have not had better luck with patrolling the edge of the ice.

At last count I have stashed away 144 birch saplings and 43 maple saplings - admittedly some were relocated to CH from other regions but surely 75% were the result of beach combing.  Each of the 9 CH fishing huts has one or more hatchets, knives, hacksaws and tool kits found via beach combing.  I find enough intact arrows so that I do not need to craft arrows.  

Since beach combing was dialed back I find that certain items like boats, suitcases and file cabinets spawn in areas of thin ice.  You just cannot loot those items without falling through the ice.  Its still sufficiently lucrative that I spend weeks at a time in gameplay patrolling the edge of the ice.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, WillemD said:

On interloper, once you have a bow, you can probably live in Fishing village. If you kill the bear, he will be gone for 40-50 days. If you make a fire outside the fishing hut, you can attract wolves with smell, and shoot them to pacify the area. And you should probably use tinder to make a storm-line on the ice towards the cabin, so you find your way in a blizzard. As for fuel, one trip to the coal mine (PV transition cave) should provide plenty of coal. One full day of fishing combats cabin fever, and you get enough fish to not get scurvy. Still, the area feel unsafe, wolves are quite unpredictable. I think this run, I will try to make a fishing setup in the fishing hut between Jackrabbit and Misanthrope. If need be, I can always retreat to Jackrabbit island.

WillemD, in my experience (admittedly on Voyageur and not Interloper) the fishing hut between Jackrabbit and Misanthrope is the one farthest from known  wolf patrol areas. My favorite fishing huts in CH are the two huts (2 of the 9) with doors.  They make for the easiest sleeping without fear of frostbite, at least on Voyageur.

Edited by Blizzard Walker
spelling

30 minutes ago, Blizzard Walker said:

Leeanda, if I recall you play on Pilgrim and the beach combing bounty should be at least as good as what I experience on Voyageur.  I cannot explain why you have not had better luck with patrolling the edge of the ice.

At last count I have stashed away 144 birch saplings and 43 maple saplings - admittedly some were relocated to CH from other regions but surely 75% were the result of beach combing.  Each of the 9 CH fishing huts has one or more hatchets, knives, hacksaws and tool kits found via beach combing.  I find enough intact arrows so that I do not need to craft arrows.  

Since beach combing was dialed back I find that certain items like boats, suitcases and file cabinets spawn in areas of thin ice.  You just cannot loot those items without falling through the ice.  Its still sufficiently lucrative that I spend weeks at a time in gameplay patrolling the edge of the ice.

I do play custom pilgrim but I didn't change the loot settings..    it's gotten worse since the zone was added but I'm really not finding much at all.. I've more or less given up looking to be honest..  before I got plenty of loot,I I too have a fishing hut full of hatchets,clothes and other bits . My last run across ch beach I could only reach one wolf carcass,one corpse and a piece of birch bark..  nothing else at all,not even a stick anywhere..

I haven't seen any boats or filing cabinets in quite a while..   I did once find a floating flare gun and shells quite high up so I presume the boat was invisible...    Maybe it's just my saves being custom  ,or really lousy rng I don't know..  

There is the possibility that I've reached the 700 day curse early though lol,,  

• Upvote 1

I play on Pilgrim and "Home" to me is almost always Coastal Highway. It's most likely where I would choose to stay in RL as well.

I absolutely love the bigger home on the coast, directly across from Quonset, but it is not always intact. It has tons of storage, a fireplace, easy to navigate in the dark (once you learn to use the windows) & just feels cozy -- I can even hear the waves (in my mind). It's also relatively "clean" and I break down a lot of the obstructing furniture to make it work better.

If it's burnt out, I'll pick another house in that little coastal village, or go down road to the Fishing Village. Sometimes will go to Jackrabbit & the little cabins off in the Bear Campground as my retreats because the views are so pretty at night. I rarely stay in Quonset, other than a quick overnight if I'm doing a big crafting project. I think it's very "echoey/cold" and I feel like it would smell nasty in there (like drained motor oil, rust and old exhaust)

I prefer the Community Center over the PV Farmhouse (too noisy & a bit creepy) & Trapper's over the Camp Office (esp. if dead Fred is in there). Love the 2 cozy cabins in Forsaken Airfield, but the weather, directional challenges, and glimmer fog make that area get in & get out fast .

And WHY can't the DP Lighthouse have a 6-burner stove like the destroyed one in Bleak? I might live there forever if that was the case!

• Upvote 2

Although not my favorite base, my character returned to TWM's Mountaineer's Hut preparatory to an excursion into Ash Canyon. 

I realized how stress free the Mountaineer's Hut can be. 

The wolf stays on his side of Crystal Lake unless I chase a deer its way.  The bear conveniently walks by the fishing hut twice a day for a shoot-from-safety bow shot.  Rabbits wander within sight of the Mountaineer's Hut - simplifying clothing repair. Sticks, branches and limbs are readily available.  The work bench avoids having to trek back to the PV Farmhouse for crafting.

Provided you import sufficient cloth and metal this location affords easy, stress free living.  The fishing hut provides a surplus of lamp oil and the fish themselves provide abundant food and vitamin C.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2024 at 7:31 PM, Blizzard Walker said:

Although not my favorite base, my character returned to TWM's Mountaineer's Hut preparatory to an excursion into Ash Canyon. 

I realized how stress free the Mountaineer's Hut can be. 

The wolf stays on his side of Crystal Lake unless I chase a deer its way.  The bear conveniently walks by the fishing hut twice a day for a shoot-from-safety bow shot.  Rabbits wander within sight of the Mountaineer's Hut - simplifying clothing repair. Sticks, branches and limbs are readily available.  The work bench avoids having to trek back to the PV Farmhouse for crafting.

Provided you import sufficient cloth and metal this location affords easy, stress free living.  The fishing hut provides a surplus of lamp oil and the fish themselves provide abundant food and vitamin C.

Mt.'s Hut is probably my favorite place, for many of the reasons you mentioned, but mostly just the beauty (mountains, lake, etc.).  If it was larger and more centrally located, it would definitely be my "home base".  Maybe once Safehouse Customization comes along, that will allow better organization for more storage, but...still kind of out of the way...

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite place is cannery working house in BI! You got Ice fishing huts, beachcombing, six slot cooking place in broken lighthouse, neighborhood bear (open the door roaaarr), very rare timberwolfes (with high smell) and beautiful sunset!

More favs: Campoffice, trappers homestead, farmstead, paradise meadow farm, jackrabbit island and drift island house!

• Upvote 1

Hunting Lodge

Its not my favorite “base”, just not sustainable - but it’s the place I feel like I just came “home”

Second is the Foreman’s retreat in AC.  And if I’m bored with it I can shoot over to Homesteaders Respite for a change of scenery.  

• Upvote 1

I tend to wander a lot. I rarely stay in a region for more than 30 dats, and since I like to be eaten by bears (jk i hate that part but it happens a lot) I dont live that long most times. I like outdoor bases. Currently I am in a cave in HRV with 75kg of moose meat and 3 deer and about a quarter of a bear. Probably stay another two or 3 weeks just due to the mountain-o-meat. But other “homes” for me are the mountaineers cabin, Hermit’s cabin in milton basin, the church in desolation point, Spence family homestead in FM,  and my favorite late stage home, the office in BR. If i gotta stay indoors the farmhouse in PV or camp office in ML. Oh, and Jackrabbit island.

Something about staying outdoors feels more real, and the having to upkeep clothes adds a challenge to the game for me. Plus I like seeing the Aurora lol. I play a custom stalker based game nowadays. I dont want the brutality of loper but voyageur is a bit too easy.

• Upvote 1

I also tend to wander a lot....but home for me is and has always been Overlook Cave...across from the Camp Office,

• fishing and hunting close by
  • rabbits, ptarmigan and wood at your door
  • access to the workbench in the Camp Office
  • no cabin fever, lots of room to leave loot
  • a spectacular view
  • 2 containers for small stuff you might misplace, the locked loot box once unlocked and the unfortunately dead fella, is it wrong that I use him as container..? I'm going to hell aren't I..
  • Upvote 1

On 2/11/2024 at 1:47 PM, xanna said:

good point

I just learned that you can have a campfire inside the Maintenance Shed Office.

WOW. Makes it even stronger.

-t

Edited by turtle777
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, turtle777 said:

I just learned that you can have a campfire inside the Maintenance Shed Office.

WOW. Makes it even stronger.

-t

Yeah, you can life forever in the Maintenance Shed! You got never cabinfever and a campfire was always in wind cover! The bear nearby and the Wolfs so much food! You can ice fishing on the lake, the ice fishing hole you can make it nearby a fallen tree for wind cover!

• Upvote 1