Dumb ways you’ve died

I’ll go first I was on a custom run that was basically interloper with guns cause my main goal was to get every single variant and bring them all to the hunting lodge in broken railroad which I made my main base. It was day 76 I had every thing I could ever need at the hunting lodge I had well over 300 pounds of meat plenty of cooking supplies about 60 rifle rounds over 100 revolver rounds 30 something arrows all the fire wood I could need and every single variant but one bow I genuinely think this had been by best run up until I died I looted half of great bear and brought it back to the lodge but when I went to forsaken airfield to get the last variant that’s when the run ended I was at the island cottage (the cabin that’s to the right of you look at it from the hanger) and i thought I’m going to to the other cabin and see if the bow is there (I didn’t know where in FA the bow was I just knew it was somewhere there) but I went the wrong way and just started walking into the woods I didn’t think to bring fire wood in case there was a blizzard cause I thought the cabin was right next door (even if I did go the right way it’s still pretty far) then as I foreshadowed a blizzard started and I thought that’s ok I’ll get to the cabin before I freeze so I just kept walking deeper into the woods slowly freezing to death i tried to turn back at some point but it was too late I had faded into the long dark.

Edited by Just some guy being a dude
  • Upvote 1

On my stalker run, I was in the birch area at twm and thought it'd be fun to tease a wolf...  however I wasn't far up enough on the fallen tree and got a good mauling..    down to about 20% health I  started back to the hut but a blizzard blew up.. panicking a bit I got slightly disoriented and veered too far right....   By the time I could see the fishing hut I was a few seconds from death... Knowing I didn't have enough wood for a fire I carried on to the hut and died next to the jetty...........      I completely forgot I had a stim on me  ..  😅.      That was my first attempt at stalker after playing pilgrim .. a good way to end a 150+ day run though.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Just some guy being a dude said:

It’s always the blizzards that get me I have no sense of where I am even if there isn’t one 😅

Lol..     😁.     The only place I'm guaranteed not to get lost on is the train tracks through mystery and forlorn

• Like 1

The dumbest way I've died that was not (strictly speaking) "my fault:"
Instant kill-walls while goating in an otherwise safe looking area (so no, I'm not talking about trying to goat down cliff faces at Raven Falls Ravine).  There are at least six spots that I know of where kill-walls just "are."   The dumbest location I remember finding a kill-wall was on the rock formation just behind the trailer at the Train Unloading area in Coastal Highway.  

As for dumb ways I've died that where absolutely my fault:
When I first started playing TLD in the later part of 2014, I made all the misstates and stupid deaths that any new player makes... but I think one of the most memorable examples would be:

On 6/13/2022 at 7:33 AM, ManicManiac said:

While it wasn't my first encounter with a bear... it was one the most memorable.

I was hunting the bear that liked to stalk through Hibernia on Desolation Point:

• I let it get too close; it started to charge
  • My shot was panicked and failed to bring it down
  • I back peddled to try and get another shot... heard ice cracking under my feet.
  • Got mauled...
  • Fell through the weak ice immediately after... pulled myself out (of course soaking wet and hypothermic)
  • Got mauled again, before I could even stumble away...
  • Very promptly died.  :D 

Never made those mistakes again.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 3

I remember on one of my longest runs on stalker, I was in Desolation Point forging some arrow heads in the Riken, but I quickly realized that I was completely out of food. So I went outside and thought that the best method of getting food was to visit Scruffy's cave, and try to harvest some meat off of the animal carcasses in there. 

I entered Scruffy's cave rifle in hand, and in an effort to save bullets, I decided to just get into a struggle with scruffy and try to kill him with a knife. I was very quickly added to Scruffy's supply of food in that cave.

Why I didn't just bother shooting one of the wolves or even deer outside I won't ever know. Definitely one of my dumber deaths.

• Upvote 2

This was on another game but it was similar in that if you die you're just dead and you start from the beginning with nothing. I was probably about 6-7 hours in and I was walking in a room and I touched a chair and fell over dead. I think it tried to calculate collision damage or something and messed up. I seem to recall having the same sort of thing in TLD too at the crashed plane where I looked off the edge of the cliff and my character must have just died from joy at the view. This was back in 2018 or 2019 though so that probably doesn't happen anymore.

6 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

The dumbest way I've died that was not (strictly speaking) "my fault:"
Instant kill-walls while goating in an otherwise safe looking area (so no, I'm not talking about trying to goat down cliff faces at Raven Falls Ravine).  There are at least six spots that I know of where kill-walls just "are."   The dumbest location I remember finding a kill-wall was on the rock formation just behind the trailer at the Train Unloading area in Coastal Highway.  

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Ah that's what it was! I died like this when I just started playing

I was doing Wintermute's first chapter in Milton and was in the area where you climb down after finishing the mother's tasks and she gives you a rope. And I saw the Milton Basin and thought that it would be fun to try to climb down there. Or maybe I slipped...anyway, just as soon as I stepped off the first edge, boom, dead. Been scared of that edge ever since : D

• Upvote 1

I was playing Interloper and only had two arrows (hadn't made it to a forge yet, but had found two broken arrows). I shot the first wolf and the arrow broke. I hit the second wolf and it ran off with my one remaining arrow. As the wolf ran past me I noticed the "simple arrow" prompt pop up briefly which prompted the dumb decision to attempt to grab the arrow out of the wolf. I followed it and it looked like it was stuck running into a rock face so I snuck up to grab the arrow. Technically I succeeded in getting the arrow, but the wolf immediately attacked. I was already under half health and this finished me off. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I sucked up my pride and me bribed this in another thread recently, but I’ll take the walk of shame again. I was about 100 days in on Stalker. I was locked and loaded, feared nothing, and had just gone to the top of Timberwolf just for kicks, didn’t even really need the gear. When I got to the top I went to cave to sleep, and I think it was just overconfidence, and probably the edibles I consumed in RL (legal here in Boston), but when I went to sleep I selected 12 hours without thinking. The moment I went to sleep I realized my mistake and froze to death, fading into the long dark. My mouth dropped to the floor. I had to take a week off from playing as I just kept rehashing the event in my head. 

4 hours ago, James Hickok said:

Falling off wooden railroad bridge in ravine - Check 

Falling off climbing rope (forgot i had  prison vest on) - Check

Burned in fireplace -Check

😆😆😆😆

One of my stupidest deaths was falling too. On the Coastal/Mystery railroad crossing. I refuse to even use that crossing now and will spend a couple days going around the long way instead. PTSD. 

• Upvote 1

Dumbest way I've died: I was in the Muskeg on my first run outside of Pilgrim. Lost at night I goated down to a ledge. Set a fire and camp for the night and cooked some deer meat. Ate part of the deer and went to sleep. Turns out the ledge i was sleeping on with meat on, was right above a bears cave, the one near the Broken Railroad transfer, and I didn't know it. The bear made his way up to where I goated down, and followed my path. Next thing I know I'm getting mauled in my sleep and after that, the bear was stuck up there with me. I panicked and started to fight back vs leaving. Needless to say, I didn't win the engagement.

Reading other's replies, I'm really surprised in my 2200+ hours of playing, I've never fallen off the trestle.  I even play quite inebriated at times.

Walking through the Dam at night and having an aurora trigger as I happen to be walking over wires though..."shocking" surprise.

Edited by hozz1235

I recently died reading. This is why I prefer video game stories to reading books man, theyre dangerous. 
I jest, but Im trying to unlock feats and such so I thought, ill read outside the door and then it counts as spending time outside, what a good idea. Anyway it was really mild when I started reading too so I thought great, Ill read for 6 hours it'll be fine. 
It was not fine, I just got the faded into the long dark message, im guessing a blizzard hit me or something lmao. What a dumb move. 

• Like 2

I started an interloper run recently in ash canyon. Made it to the gold mine as planned and traveled to TWM mountaineering hut. Here I wanted to heal up before the summit. So I slept for 10 hours - without a fire to save fuel. Died during a nights blizzard. I stared at the "You faded into the long dark" screen for quite a while...

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday i had my dumbest death ever in TLD. 

I started a new Super Interloper (maxed out weather, maxed out bars consumption, minimal day & night heath regeneration, no perks, no birch bark tea) run on friday and it spawned me in DP - good i like this spawn. After i got flares from the key box i went in the whale processing plant to loot it and i have found a bedroll behind the 2 boxes - never ever found one there - good start i said..........i was wrong. I could not find a hammer or hacksaw anywhere - i have checked - DP, CH, PV and didnt find any. Decided i go to ML and i have found a hammer in Trappers. Had to get the hacksaw. Didnt find one in Milton so i decided im not looking anymore and went to HRV for the guaranteed spot. After i got back and went forging it was already day 24 so it took  me a lot of time to find the Hammer and hacksaw (usually on day 10-14 i have the bow and tools). After i got back from forging i could not find any game im ML besides wolf and one bear so after a day or two on rabbits i decided to go for the backpack in AC and back thru summit. I usually go there right after i craft the bow. 

And then it happened  ! On sunday i got up early because i just wanted to play TLD whole day (had a lot of time this weekend and i was alone) so about 13-14 PM i was almost inside the gold mine ( last thing i remember was the little alcove where the bear coat rare spawn is/was) and bum im dead. Dead from falling down. What happened??  I fell asleep while playing lol !!!!! The sound when you die and Faded to the long dark line screen pops up woke me up. I was so confused and then mad. Felt so stupid. I dont know/remember if i was  on autowalk or just pressed my thumbs against the controller sticks but i did walk off the cliff..... I cant think of a more dumb way to go. LOL !