Next Expansion Updates: Casual Discussion!

Let's liven up the forum a bit! I was re-reading the DLC roadmap for the first time since it was released & rediscovered some coming updates that I didn't really register before.

https://www.thelongdark.com/expansion/

What's everyone interested in? These ones stick out for me:

SAFEHOUSE CUSTOMIZATION

At first I was just hoping that we can now clean up the litter & debris & bodies in the interiors... but then I saw this line: "...through a series of features and items..." Items!?! Oh boy I hope we get hooks or something like it so we can hang tools/guns/hides on the walls!

CAMERA & DARK ROOM

No clue how this will play out but it would be really cool if it combined with the safehouse customization to allow us to maybe 'use' the Dark Room Chemicals on any sink to develop photos we can then mount on walls. Also fun if this is something we can/should do in the darkness. Adding a time-passing activity for when there's no light, besides harvesting unwanted clothing!

MOUNTAIN PASS

(Signal Void Minor Spoiler Ahead!)
The description here mentions a "remote installation". Really curious if this continues the hints dropped in the Signal Void tale.

FIRST-PERSON HARVESTING ANIMATIONS

I really appreciate touches like this. The sound effects in the game are fantastic and do paint a mental picture, but I wish less action was hidden behind that circular "doing something" animated icon. Any of these animations will be nice.

Edited by Sherri
  • Upvote 3
  • Like 2

I’m VERY excited about the thermos it was something I requested waaaaaayyyyy long ago and I’m sure others did too, but ya know, feel seen and all that happy feels lol

for the safehouse customization I hope there’s a mix of like being able to make repairs to roofs and doors for mountaineers and bricklayers and move objects to clean ect as well as the ability to add things like gun racks, shelves, beds and workbenches…let us disassemble the black rock ammo station throw it on the travios and take it where the wolves aren’t 😂

speaking of wolves. The wildlife refresh has me nervous. I don’t want the Timberwolves breaking out of their regions they can stay guarding the ammo benches otherwise the refresh should be sweet, new bigger migration pathing and spawns will be a nice shake up 

mountain pass is going to be nuts, i expect we’ll see the cougar, tales conclusion, travios and trader that update 

you’re so right about the first persons too, the more they can eliminate the time pass circle the more immersive the game becomes 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

I'm looking forward to the camera and seeing what we can do....  There's some beautiful views I'd love to add to my main base and mini bases. 

And the next new area , I love just exploring and discovering all the little nooks and crannies,and of course finding the loot🙂

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

The wildlife refresh is the best one for me. It will bring back the sense of not being safe anywhere while traveling for the experienced players. I play with few but deadly wolves so I'm always on my toes, but the more danger the better. 😬 I hope it will add more uncertainty to the wildlife spawns and behaviour, not just a new set of spawns and paths that we can learn again. But I'm sure it's going to be great anyway.

I'm also very interested in the travois. The extra carrying capacity for looting big places or moving to a new base is going to be awesome, but what I'm really looking forward to are its downsides. I believe this is going to be a very risky tool to use and I'm excited about it.

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

Ranking of stuff I look forward to:

1) Cougar

2) Mountain Pass

3) Industrial Mine

4) Wildlife freshment

5) New high end graphics

6) Safehouse customization

The rest I don't have feelings one way or another

Except for Trader which sounds terrible

And thermos shouldn't be overpowered (versus normal tea buffs), same to travois

Edited by Mistral
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JohnLovesCoffee said:

The wildlife refresh is the best one for me. It will bring back the sense of not being safe anywhere while traveling for the experienced players. I play with few but deadly wolves so I'm always on my toes, but the more danger the better. 😬 I hope it will add more uncertainty to the wildlife spawns and behaviour, not just a new set of spawns and paths that we can learn again.

Same here. I am really hoping that not only the paths will change but the whole spawning points for animals will be random meaning that every type of animal can spawn after beeing killed in other place. If not everyone like moose and bear bcoz there are bear caves and moose marking spots but wolves, wolves should be able to spawn everywhere after beeing killed and take random patroll routes. It would be awesome !!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Yeah I don't think the new loot spawn points really made that much difference - even guaranteed match spots are still scattered around - but I'm hoping the wildlife refresh is different. Otherwise they'd probably already published it, if it's just new patrol routes for wolves and no randomization

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

So, from what I gathered from Raph's post a while back is that we still have 3 updates remaining.

If I'm guessing how things are going to roll out...here's how I see it:

• Update 4 - Wildlife Update
    • Cougar Release
    • Travois
    • Wildlife Refresh
    • Insulated Flask
  • Update 5 - Industrial Mine
    • New Zone Release
    • Safehouse Customzation
    • Photography Update
    • First Person Harvesting
  • Update 6 - Mountain Pass
    • New Zone Release
    • Trader
    • Hunted, Part Three
    • Visual Updates

It makes the most sense to try to group a couple paid updates with a couple free ones, plus I'm sure they have other ideas that aren't fully fleshed out that will probably pop up later.

I believe they will want the Wildlife Refresh and the addition of cougars out in the wild ahead of the additional zone release. I also see them releasing Cougars at the same time as the Travois, I believe used as a mechanic to discourage their overuse and point out the risk vs reward aspect.

I think there's a good chance we see the Safehouse update before we see Hunted, Part Three and the visual updates.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Merrak said:

So, from what I gathered from Raph's post a while back is that we still have 3 updates remaining.

If I'm guessing how things are going to roll out...here's how I see it:

• Update 4 - Wildlife Update
    • Cougar Release
    • Travois
    • Wildlife Refresh
    • Insulated Flask
  • Update 5 - Industrial Mine
    • New Zone Release
    • Safehouse Customzation
    • Photography Update
    • First Person Harvesting
  • Update 6 - Mountain Pass
    • New Zone Release
    • Trader
    • Hunted, Part Three
    • Visual Updates

It makes the most sense to try to group a couple paid updates with a couple free ones, plus I'm sure they have other ideas that aren't fully fleshed out that will probably pop up later.

I believe they will want the Wildlife Refresh and the addition of cougars out in the wild ahead of the additional zone release. I also see them releasing Cougars at the same time as the Travois, I believe used as a mechanic to discourage their overuse and point out the risk vs reward aspect.

I think there's a good chance we see the Safehouse update before we see Hunted, Part Three and the visual updates.

I would've expected the cougar at the same time as mountain pass gets introduced.. makes sense to get him somewhere like that..

Not that I do the challenges but I don't remember any mention of hunted part 3?  Or visual updates..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

I would've expected the cougar at the same time as mountain pass gets introduced.. makes sense to get him somewhere like that..

Not that I do the challenges but I don't remember any mention of hunted part 3?  Or visual updates..

Yeah, it's at the bottom of the Free Updates listing. :)

image.png.e785257938a3378db7c759fe1be16f8c.png

image.png.d8578cbeee554e300c1b9bc05cf41c45.png

Edited by Merrak

13 minutes ago, Merrak said:

Yeah, it's at the bottom of the Free Updates listing. :)

image.png.e785257938a3378db7c759fe1be16f8c.png

image.png.d8578cbeee554e300c1b9bc05cf41c45.png

Ah thank you...  I may have missed the hunted one but now I've seen the visual one I vaguely remember seeing it..  It won't affect my console so I probably just let it go..🙂

• Upvote 1

The part about "specifically for high-end system", likely some new things in the options menu to possibly take advantage of ray tracing for more dynamic lighting, or increasing the render distance for objects so there isn't as much visible pop-in on 4k displays, maybe using billboards to create the illusion of a denser forest.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ajb1978 said:

The part about "specifically for high-end system", likely some new things in the options menu to possibly take advantage of ray tracing for more dynamic lighting, or increasing the render distance for objects so there isn't as much visible pop-in on 4k displays, maybe using billboards to create the illusion of a denser forest.

I'm actually excited about that as well since I just bought a new QHD, RTX-4070 laptop.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Merrak said:

Just as easily in my post, you could swap cougar release with the Trader release and boom, sorted!

I just figured it would make sense to add it in while reworking the wildlife. :wolf:

I'd be happy either way..   maybe the cougar ,mountain pass and refresh could be all in one... It'd certainly keep everyone on their toes😁

Aside from the hunted 3 the only other thing I'm not really bothered about is the travois... But that's not because it's a bad idea ,I just can't see myself using it..   unless I can sling a bear on it and drag it somewhere more convenient.. that would be awesome but I doubt it...  

Either way I'll be happy with whatever comes and when.   😊

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Leeanda said:

unless I can sling a bear on it and drag it somewhere more convenient.. that would be awesome but I doubt it...  

.   😊

I'm assuming you could quarter a big catch then haul it with the travois which would be so handy.

Any update will be awesome, no matter what the content, to be sure! It's all about personal preference in the end regarding the order in which features appear. 

I'm not super into the photo lab, but am very intrigued by safehouse customization (I would however be very surprised if that one let us fix houses and such, I think it'll just be moving things around + add pics on the walls). The travois is intriguing as well!

I'm also very very curious how the new regions will make some of these items / functionalities more relevant than we think they'll be. I mean, I couldn't have cared less about acorns after Part 2, but they turned out to be such a central part of the cooking update that I've pretty much gone back to every region in order to harvest them.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Semple Fi said:

But what if you could take selfies

image.jpeg.fcea153210962d98b1701012381cd9ad.jpeg

Haha! Or quick snapshot while being trampled by that moose.

That reminds me that I've always wanted to be able to see my character in the mirrors of bathrooms and such, with the apparel worn and everything. Would be so nice!

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1