Interloper mode after update

James Hickok

Hey survivors,

Is it just me or did interloper mode got dumbed down/nerfed. 

There is a lot more loot food and clothingwise, weather seems lighter. Made 2 runs yesterday both spawned me in plessant valley both runs i found hammer and hacksaw in same places in PV. Both runs found so many clothes i didnt need to visit crash site.

Anyone else having the same feeling?

On 4/1/2023 at 4:41 PM, odium said:

i feel like the new loot tables made it harder.  where did you find the hammer in PV? 

Both Times in farm under the table near the car.

Tons of clothing including pilot hat and jacket both in ML. Hockey sweater in Milton i think. 

Only problem i had with crowbar. Had to loot all Pv ML and Milton - had it in Milton farm in the back of the truck. 

Edited by James Hickok

A slight nerf is probably true.

1. Beachcombing has become way stronger. More stuff and more frequent additions. 

2.  Firearrows increase archery skulle

3.  Acorns added so it's easier to reach cooking 5, and you get the bonus of the drink too

4. The addition of new bunkers with more stuff 

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so after some extensive playing i have come to this conclusion:

Interloper Day 140 +, All regions visited but not all looted - just the crucial items (Backpack, Blackrock vest, etc.)

So as i felt on the start of the run - there  is way more loot. I have never had so many extra thermals, wool socks, and even 3 pilot hats atm. Never had so much food items as well. Coal seems buigged in some caves and you can pick even 3 coals from one piece - so more coal as well. Atm have 4 hammers all found in locations that they were never there before except the one in HRV signal fire. Have about 4 hacksaws as well but i think the numbers of possible spawns for those are the same. 

Have found only 4 flares for pistol till now. 

Beachcombing seems so overpowered now as well  - i have even found a fishing book one day. Loads of loot from the water and respawns faster + seems like there is more spawn locations. 

OVERALL - Interloper is easier than it was - a shame really. Not to mention (i didnt know that/ didnt find any info from hinterland as well - correct me if im wrong) that the tales from the far territory dont work on interloper...... .SRSLy??? this is bull. I cant unerstand why we are cut out of the content - just put a god damn flare in the box or a piece of coal but let us enjoy the content. I cant make myself play stalker or below bcoz its so easy i dont feel the joy of playing/ no immersion for me. If i would know that interloper plasyers will be cut out of content i would not buy the update. 

Went to Forsaken Airfield and looted EVERYTHING. Stayed there for 17 days and went back bcoz it is so boring and nothing really uniqe there like backpack in AC or the vest in Blackrock. Why o why didnt they implement the sledge now. It would be cool to find it in this region (something uniqe) and it really would be of use there to haul a moose or bear to the base bcoz of those long distances there.

So basically what i was w8ting for 4 months is : Mainly the ability to play again (saves will work) a new boring region, new affliction which actually dont do anythig and you can just ignore it, doe........no comment, acorns - good idea but poorly executed (should at least give buff like normal coffe or if not be easier to make- H HAMMER for crushing boiled acorns......stupid, two stones would do.), 3 pieces of new clothing (no baclava in interloper) and thats it - oh i also got my Wintermute saves gone. 

Yes i feel dissapointed a LOT maybe in a year the update will be complete, maybe. I understand that there are a lot of ppl happy here and will be defending Hinterland but its not just my opinion - go to Xbox Microsoft store and see the comments below the update - 99 % of them are NEGATIVE. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, James Hickok said:

OK, so after some extensive playing i have come to this conclusion:

Interloper Day 140 +, All regions visited but not all looted - just the crucial items (Backpack, Blackrock vest, etc.)

So as i felt on the start of the run - there  is way more loot. I have never had so many extra thermals, wool socks, and even 3 pilot hats atm. Never had so much food items as well. Coal seems buigged in some caves and you can pick even 3 coals from one piece - so more coal as well. Atm have 4 hammers all found in locations that they were never there before except the one in HRV signal fire. Have about 4 hacksaws as well but i think the numbers of possible spawns for those are the same. 

Have found only 4 flares for pistol till now. 

Beachcombing seems so overpowered now as well  - i have even found a fishing book one day. Loads of loot from the water and respawns faster + seems like there is more spawn locations. 

OVERALL - Interloper is easier than it was - a shame really. Not to mention (i didnt know that/ didnt find any info from hinterland as well - correct me if im wrong) that the tales from the far territory dont work on interloper...... .SRSLy??? this is bull. I cant unerstand why we are cut out of the content - just put a god damn flare in the box or a piece of coal but let us enjoy the content. I cant make myself play stalker or below bcoz its so easy i dont feel the joy of playing/ no immersion for me. If i would know that interloper plasyers will be cut out of content i would not buy the update. 

Went to Forsaken Airfield and looted EVERYTHING. Stayed there for 17 days and went back bcoz it is so boring and nothing really uniqe there like backpack in AC or the vest in Blackrock. Why o why didnt they implement the sledge now. It would be cool to find it in this region (something uniqe) and it really would be of use there to haul a moose or bear to the base bcoz of those long distances there.

So basically what i was w8ting for 4 months is : Mainly the ability to play again (saves will work) a new boring region, new affliction which actually dont do anythig and you can just ignore it, doe........no comment, acorns - good idea but poorly executed (should at least give buff like normal coffe or if not be easier to make- H HAMMER for crushing boiled acorns......stupid, two stones would do.), 3 pieces of new clothing (no baclava in interloper) and thats it - oh i also got my Wintermute saves gone. 

Yes i feel dissapointed a LOT maybe in a year the update will be complete, maybe. I understand that there are a lot of ppl happy here and will be defending Hinterland but its not just my opinion - go to Xbox Microsoft store and see the comments below the update - 99 % of them are NEGATIVE. 

All games have problems after new content...  Tales will now be made available on loper  too. Just give them time to work on it all.

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

Seems to me that no matter what... there will always be complaints and people upset that something changed.  I'd posit that it wouldn't matter what it is, or how slight, or how much of a net positive it is; there will still be those who will get disproportionately upset and grouse on about it.

I've seen folks say... "look at other communities, it happens all the time."  But to that I say, just because it's common doesn't mean it's right or that we can't strive to be better than that.  

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I will mention, just because something is there... doesn't mean we have to use it. 

Player choice has a much bigger impact on our survival experience than folks realize.  We can completely change the way the game plays (without having to change the game for everyone else) simply by changing the way we play it.

I mean I don't like spray cans or pain killers... but I don't jump on the forums to complain about it or ask Hinterland to change their game to suit my tastes, I just don't ever use them.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

All games have problems after new content...  Tales will now be made available on loper  too. Just give them time to work on it all.

I hope they do.

ATM i just feel left out and was w8ting so long...

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

Seems to me that no matter what... there will always be complaints and people upset that something changed.  I'd posit that it wouldn't matter what it is, or how slight, or how much of a net positive it is; there will still be those who will get disproportionately upset and grouse on about it.

I've seen folks say... "look at other communities, it happens all the time."  But to that I say, just because it's common doesn't mean it's right or that we can't strive to be better than that.  

I will mention, just because something is there... doesn't mean we have to use it. 

Player choice has a much bigger impact on our survival experience than folks realize.  We can completely change the way the game plays (without having to change the game for everyone else) simply by changing the way we play it.

I mean I don't like spray cans or pain killers... but I don't jump on the forums to complain about it or ask Hinterland to change their game to suit my tastes, I just don't ever use them.

My point is that WE Interloper players feel left out a bit dont you think?

I know you like to play deaf or blind on one eye or whatever silly stuff you come up with but some of us like interloper and harder and we were left out. I have the right to complain. Its not that im always complaining.  I can turn this around and say ur always complaining when someone complains about the game and its development. Cmon.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, James Hickok said:

I hope they do.

ATM i just feel left out and was w8ting so long...

My point is that WE Interloper players feel left out a bit dont you think?

I know you like to play deaf or blind on one eye or whatever silly stuff you come up with but some of us like interloper and harder and we were left out. I have the right to complain. Its not that im always complaining.  I can turn this around and say ur always complaining when someone complains about the game and its development. Cmon.

Haven't you read the April dev diary?     There might be a few comments that have been removed  . But if you had you might see why @ManicManiacresponded the way he has.   And you're being very unfair and not very respectful I'm afraid.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, James Hickok said:

I hope they do.

I know you like to play deaf or blind on one eye or whatever silly stuff you come up with but some of us like interloper and harder and we were left out.

Wow! (IMO That was a bit rude!)

I get that the Interloper players felt a bit left out, but that was explained (quite clearly)  by the Devs... Also understand that the Airfield is not the most exciting area, yet, but there are still things to be added in the future.

As to the part about Loot Tables -- even tho' I'm only a Pilgrim "camper", I have noticed some issues there ... twice I've found a hatchet both outside and inside a trailer. Also had found many heavy hammers, but had to search 2 regions for a single pry-bar. Two aviator jackets in the same bank of lockers, 2 Mukluks in good/new condition ... etc.

Probably just something that will be tweaked as time goes by and the more pressing concerns (like Auto-save problems) are fixed and moved off the agenda. It's a work in progress (as am I)

Edited by twyn1
Spelling
  • Upvote 3

There's no need to try and get personal insulting.  🤭
At no time I say (or even imply) that the way you choose to play was doing was "silly," so I feel like your response is a bit unwarranted and a tad hostile.

As for your feelings of being left out... you weren't really saying much about that (you seemed more intent on talking about how there was "too much loot in Interloper now..."   so I offered ways a player might be able to remedy that on their own simply by exercising a little bit of player choice. 

On the topic of the "lopers feeling left out," I've already discussed this in previous threads:

On 4/11/2023 at 11:09 AM, ManicManiac said:

I've mentioned it before, but since that thread got locked and the discussion seems to have relocated here, and I think it bears repeating...

(Original)
I can understand the disappointment and all... but all things considered; I'd say that Interloper was never "feature complete" (in terms of game content).  I might remind folks that rifles, revolvers, hunting knives, hatchets, top tier "manufactured" clothing items (Expedition Parka and so on...), and the majority of TWM cargo containers were always absent from Interloper.

With the idea presumably being, that not only did we face harsher weather, more deadly predators, and fewer resources in the world... that the "best" clothing and equipment were nowhere to be found.

The handheld shortwave receiver... is in my estimation, purely a "Wayfinder" leading our survivor to yet more gear and supplies... which in my mind would be sort of counter to the point of Interloper.  So... I completely understand and support Hinterland's decision.   

On the other hand...
It's probably not so much the loot that the "lopers" are lamenting, but I'd venture to guess it's most likely the lore... That I'd perfectly understand and sympathize with.

Perhaps there might be consideration in the future for the team to find a way to incorporate the shortwave receiver (and associated activities) for Interloper?

• Perhaps all the bunkers and caches are bereft of food/gear/and supplies...
  • Perhaps they had been already raided by the last remnants of the Forest Talkers... and only the bits of lore remain.

Might that possibly be a decent way to incorporate those elements without compromising the rigors of interloper?

On 4/12/2023 at 9:03 PM, ManicManiac said:

And this is where I already said I agreed and sympathized.  I think we all should be able to experience the lore Hinterland has woven into TFTFT.  I even offered to the Admins a possible solution to bring to the team.

Then later... the Admins made the following announcement:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Adding Interloper to TALES

[removing text for brevity] ...we understood that you didn’t really mind if the experience would be a massive struggle with little reward. You just wanted that option.

So, after careful consideration, we have decided to introduce the “Signal Void” Tale to Interloper, with some modifications designed to preserve game balance for that specific Experience Mode: 

• Bunkers will be adjusted to provide less loot on Interloper.
  • The final Bunker will still contain a couple of rare items, but adjusted for Interloper. 

[removing text for brevity]
...We plan to release these changes in the next week, so you should have access to the Tale very soon. Keep an eye out for the official release notes! "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So... there's nothing more to worry about on that topic.

But again, that's not what your post seemed to be about.  Your thread was focused on "too much loot" and "interloper feels dumbed down/nerfted."
You weren't really talking about feeling left out as an interloper player... so I'm not sure why that was a point you we were trying to pivot to when all I did was to offer a way for players to adjust their gameplay experience without needing to change the game for everyone else. :D 

As I've also said before:

On 4/12/2023 at 9:03 PM, ManicManiac said:

Anyway, I'm not interested in being drawn into an argument about it so I'm going to leave it at that.

I just don't have time these days for protracted discussions with folks on the forums who just seem diametrically opposed to me, or who may have already made up their mind that their view is the only "correct" one... and perhaps not so willing to consider other points of view.

(Now to be clear, I don't necessarily think that's the case with you... but I've been baited in far too often by those who just want a "fight" and I'm not here for that)

I've already said my peace, and I stand by it... if we disagree, that's okay. :) 

I was not personally attacking you, I was just discussing the question you posed...

On 4/1/2023 at 2:52 AM, James Hickok said:

Anyone else having the same feeling?

so I think it's a bit unwarranted for you to be trying to get personally insulting towards me. :D 

• Upvote 2

• Hinterland

Pretty sure we've mentioned it in various places, but for anyone who didn't read it, see it, etc., when we did the major resource rebalance in the "base" game with the December update, we said we expected there to be issues and we'd keep an eye on the game and make multiple balance tweaks over time. It's not at all surprising to feel that the game has changed, since this is the first complete overhaul of the resources in several years. Also, the nature of how our resource and loot systems work allows for some variability in the experience -- it's not always going to feel the same.

Add to that, our intention isn't for the game to feel "static". I know people have developed comfortable strategies over the years, and that some of these strategies have now been thrown out of whack. That was almost the entire point of the resource rebalance -- to freshen the game up. That's not to say we want it to be unbalanced, but rather, that we aren't trying to keep it 100% the same as it was. We put a lot of work into the rebalance, so if the game felt exactly the same afterwards, it would feel like a huge waste of effort.

Keep in mind that we had some bugs that we hotfixed in...Jan and Feb I believe...where some items were appearing in Loot Tables that should have been excluded from Interloper. Still, it's possible we missed some, so if you encounter anything that you know shouldn't be in Interloper, please report it to our Support Portal (with specific details) so it can get looked at by the dev team: hinterlandgames.com/support

It would be super helpful and kind-hearted to share your feedback in the spirit of "hey, this seems to have changed, was that intentional?" vs. turning it into a personal affront, and we certainly don't want to see pointless arguments about it. 

And really, this "we interloper players feel overlooked" stuff just has to stop. It's getting tiresome. Also: https://www.thelongdark.com/news/dev-diary-april-2023/

Anyone that can provide substantive, objective feedback on their Interloper experience -- thank you for that, it's all very helpful, and we will keep it in mind for future tuning changes. And please keep it civil in here, or else we'll institute a cooling off period around any discussion about Interloper stuff.

- Raph

• Upvote 9

7 hours ago, James Hickok said:

there  is way more loot

Yes and no. The loot overhaul changes most of how the game routes and loot trips works, this is not the same than more overall loot around the world, varies between regions. I have played around 20 loper runs in the last months and my experiencies were inconsistent, sometimes struggling a lot but other times incredible easy.

Coal seems buigged in some caves and you can pick even 3 coals from one piece

This bug was present even before the DLC update, albeit very rare. Isn't very common, but anyways it's still a bug and not something intended.

Beachcombing seems so overpowered now as well 

This is true and most players have already gived a constructive feedback or ideas to balance the new system. BC it's so OP that even content creators are giving a try to 'only beachcombing challenge' on interloper.

Actually, the only 'intended' feature designed around making the game easier (Not just for interloper) it's the change on the bearskin coat blueprint, now needing just one bear hide. The other changes on Interloper settings are more indirect and uninentional, something that im pretty sure it's gonna be addressed at any point of the year (Mostly beachcombing).

Edited by Glacia
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

Pretty sure we've mentioned it in various places, but for anyone who didn't read it, see it, etc., when we did the major resource rebalance in the "base" game with the December update, we said we expected there to be issues and we'd keep an eye on the game and make multiple balance tweaks over time. It's not at all surprising to feel that the game has changed, since this is the first complete overhaul of the resources in several years. Also, the nature of how our resource and loot systems work allows for some variability in the experience -- it's not always going to feel the same.

Add to that, our intention isn't for the game to feel "static". I know people have developed comfortable strategies over the years, and that some of these strategies have now been thrown out of whack. That was almost the entire point of the resource rebalance -- to freshen the game up. That's not to say we want it to be unbalanced, but rather, that we aren't trying to keep it 100% the same as it was. We put a lot of work into the rebalance, so if the game felt exactly the same afterwards, it would feel like a huge waste of effort.

Keep in mind that we had some bugs that we hotfixed in...Jan and Feb I believe...where some items were appearing in Loot Tables that should have been excluded from Interloper. Still, it's possible we missed some, so if you encounter anything that you know shouldn't be in Interloper, please report it to our Support Portal (with specific details) so it can get looked at by the dev team: hinterlandgames.com/support

It would be super helpful and kind-hearted to share your feedback in the spirit of "hey, this seems to have changed, was that intentional?" vs. turning it into a personal affront, and we certainly don't want to see pointless arguments about it. 

And really, this "we interloper players feel overlooked" stuff just has to stop. It's getting tiresome. Also: https://www.thelongdark.com/news/dev-diary-april-2023/

Anyone that can provide substantive, objective feedback on their Interloper experience -- thank you for that, it's all very helpful, and we will keep it in mind for future tuning changes. And please keep it civil in here, or else we'll institute a cooling off period around any discussion about Interloper stuff.

- Raph

Thank You for taking your time to post/reply here. 

I understand Your answer and feel a bit stupid not reading the april diary. 

Im very glad to hear You are working on that issue. I really would like to see TLD grow into something really great. Way better than it is today. And you have such a great field/base to do it. Hope to see it some day. Hope to get back and play it.

Also i apologize if I was rude in my replies. Sometimes my bad side takes over. Just human. 

TC

Edited by James Hickok
  • Upvote 2

• Hinterland

@James Hickok Appreciate that. We're all doing our best, we all love TLD and want the best for the game, for all our players.

Keep the balance feedback coming. In general, playtest feedback is most useful when it's communicated a bit dispassionately, and focuses on the player's experience (vs. them trying to suggest solutions). More often than not, the thing you think is going on with the game that may be causing it to feel a certain way, may not be the thing you think. So our job is to take the objective feedback, parse it, and figure out the best way to act on it (or, to not act on it, as the case may be).

We'd rather spend our energy looking at feedback and making informed decisions that make the game better, than trying to parse through a bunch of arguments and infighting that don't do anything to make the game, or the community better. The best thing about TLD is how many different players and play styles it can support, so let's try to celebrate that rather than use it as a weapon against each other.

• Upvote 7
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

@James Hickok Appreciate that. We're all doing our best, we all love TLD and want the best for the game, for all our players.

Keep the balance feedback coming. In general, playtest feedback is most useful when it's communicated a bit dispassionately, and focuses on the player's experience (vs. them trying to suggest solutions). More often than not, the thing you think is going on with the game that may be causing it to feel a certain way, may not be the thing you think. So our job is to take the objective feedback, parse it, and figure out the best way to act on it (or, to not act on it, as the case may be).

We'd rather spend our energy looking at feedback and making informed decisions that make the game better, than trying to parse through a bunch of arguments and infighting that don't do anything to make the game, or the community better. The best thing about TLD is how many different players and play styles it can support, so let's try to celebrate that rather than use it as a weapon against each other.

Don’t worry Raph! We love you! And unless you go the EA route (doing whatever you can to squeez money wherever you can, like charging money for weight carry increases etc) we will always support you ❤️

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I'd just like to add some of my personal perspective: I'm feeling a bit flabbergasted when I see a comment these days about "TLD might grow into something really great"... TLD is already the etalon of survival games. When I started playing it again a few weeks back after a bit of a hiatus, starting a new run in the new save system, I thought about all the regions there are all the locations in them to visit and reexplore, i felt the enormousness of this universe already (and I have not even played in the 2 most recent regions, have not played storymode). All the additions that came recently and are coming in the DLC made me think: this game is complete. What else can be added to it, that does not just simply make it easier again, and risk taking away the challenge. I was so happy to see the rebalance, as it was a real game changer, how the value of all the additions from the past yearS have been repolished and adjusted. (making a clear difference between the guns I had to completely rethink my strategies for the various situations, introducing a hiatus of some random key item in the regions, so I had to learn new ways getting by without them until I finally found them 3-4 regions later. The addition of the bunny arrows and again making a clear distinction between them and the others - despite i suck hard trying to aim with them, and even making feathers scarcer, so that in the beginning I had to decide if I'm using them up or saving for the arrowheads. Making the caches interesting again, as I'm  bumping in them in never before seen locations - bringing a total joy on my face. And in general, making every run different and new and unexpected. All the thoughtfulness behind every decision during the rebalance - which rhyme perfectly with the same thoughtfulness and care in the development and addition of every element in the past years. When I thought about the thousands of locations to hide stuff for us in this universe I fell back in my chair from appreciation about how ginormous of an undertaking this MUST have been. Just to name a few of my impressions on it).

Maybe I'm just playing it for too long and have seen the journey it went through and the state it is in today... But I really feel this is (one of?) the best games ever made I can endlessly feel myself sinking in. 

(for reference: I'm playing Stalker as that feels to me to be the most enjoyable, a perfect balance between challenge and reward)

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, AdamvR said:

I'd just like to add some of my personal perspective: I'm feeling a bit flabbergasted when I see a comment these days about "TLD might grow into something really great"... TLD is already the etalon of survival games. When I started playing it again a few weeks back after a bit of a hiatus, starting a new run in the new save system, I thought about all the regions there are all the locations in them to visit and reexplore, i felt the enormousness of this universe already (and I have not even played in the 2 most recent regions, have not played storymode). All the additions that came recently and are coming in the DLC made me think: this game is complete. What else can be added to it, that does not just simply make it easier again, and risk taking away the challenge. I was so happy to see the rebalance, as it was a real game changer, how the value of all the additions from the past yearS have been repolished and adjusted. (making a clear difference between the guns I had to completely rethink my strategies for the various situations, introducing a hiatus of some random key item in the regions, so I had to learn new ways getting by without them until I finally found them 3-4 regions later. The addition of the bunny arrows and again making a clear distinction between them and the others - despite i suck hard trying to aim with them, and even making feathers scarcer, so that in the beginning I had to decide if I'm using them up or saving for the arrowheads. Making the caches interesting again, as I'm  bumping in them in never before seen locations - bringing a total joy on my face. And in general, making every run different and new and unexpected. All the thoughtfulness behind every decision during the rebalance - which rhyme perfectly with the same thoughtfulness and care in the development and addition of every element in the past years. When I thought about the thousands of locations to hide stuff for us in this universe I fell back in my chair from appreciation about how ginormous of an undertaking this MUST have been. Just to name a few of my impressions on it).

Maybe I'm just playing it for too long and have seen the journey it went through and the state it is in today... But I really feel this is (one of?) the best games ever made I can endlessly feel myself sinking in. 

(for reference: I'm playing Stalker as that feels to me to be the most enjoyable, a perfect balance between challenge and reward)

Agree 100%

• Upvote 1

As for the overall change in experience since the update I'd like to share a few observations. 

• Cattails seem unaffected by the update.
  • Unnatural food resources spawn are slightly more generous though it could be random.
  • Way fewer toolboxes.
  • Coal respawn rate seem about the same.
  • Wolf and bear patrols look very familiar.
  • The only moose I've encountered so far spawned in a familiar location.

Note that these observations are only based on clearing a few maps in a single run. Anyone had the same or contradicting experiences?

I'm quite happy about fewer toolboxes. As I've only found 1 simple tools in 35 days it's affecting difficulty. And you don't have to drag the extra weight to your main base. Perhaps I misremember but for some reason I was expecting changes in hostile wildlife patrols. Was looking forward to being surprise-jumped by wolves.

Glad to hear we will soon be able to play Signal void on existing games without having to start a new run.

The loot refresh made things a bit more random. That can cause different perceptions about rarity. I haven't noticed tool boxes being rarer, but in a certain game they can be. In one game it took me a long time to find a hacksaw. In my current one I got two pretty early.

Some things are also hidden a lot more and not necessarily on such obvious places. Like those hacksaws.

In general I agree that man made food might be a bit more common. Also clothing. Mackinaw jackets used to be very rare and by the time I got one I might already have a wolf coat. Used to be you may have had to go the HRV signal fire to get one. Now I seem to regularly get two of them as regular loot.

I started a game without Cold Fusion after my last one saw me being completely warm for much of the day through the first month. I definitely noticed the temperature drop then, but I'm more used to being warm during the day for two weeks at the beginning maybe. And then warm hours shifting to the evening. I don't think this is caused by the world itself being warmer, but the greater available of decent clothing even very early in the game. The difference isn't huge, but at that point even a few degrees can make your temperature meter go down a lot slower.

So I think the chances for stuff like mackinaws and combat pants could be lowered a bit. You should still be able to find them now and then, but it should be a rare thing rather than something you can expect sooner or later.

Edited by Serenity
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Serenity said:

The loot refresh made things a bit more random. That can cause different perceptions about rarity. I haven't noticed tool boxes being rarer, but in a certain game they can be.

That sounds about right. I like the unpredictability. Do you have any fully explored games post DLC, if so I'd be interested to know how many toolboxes you found in total. I have an idea of the approximate tool numbers pre DLC. Apart from toolboxes I've been quite lucky on my first run. 2 hacksaws, 2 crowbars and 3 hammers from 2+½+½ maps cleared. It almost seemed too easy 😄

3 hours ago, Serenity said:

In general I agree that man made food might be a bit more common. Also clothing. Mackinaw jackets used to be very rare and by the time I got one I might already have a wolf coat. Used to be you may have had to go the HRV signal fire to get one. Now I seem to regularly get two of them as regular loot.

Yup, no risk of starvation here. Been hanging around PV Farmstead without hassle. I used to have many hungry nights there before. Before lvl 5 cooking that is. I don't see much, if any, difference in wildlife from before on this run.

As for Mackinaw jackets they were 3-4 from my experience with various fully explored loper runs. I think that's a fair amount for balance. As you wrote, you might get lucky and get it before wolf/bear coat, but you shouldn't be too sure.

I paused my loper run on day 163 in coastal. I just log it once or twice every day to beachcomb  to see what i can get and how much. 

I never ever had so many clothes in any run i made. I have 4 spare wool socks, 3 spare thermals, found 3 earwraps, 3 pilot hats. Had no problem with cold on the start of the run. Didnt have to visit plane crash in PV in the first days. 

There seems to be more food as well. My ML base is packed with it. 

I only found one quality tools tho and about 4 normal tools. Seems they are less of them in the world. 

Have 4 x hammers and 4 x hacksaws.

Animals have still same routes - we know it will be changed in future updates. I really really hope for random spawn of predators. Would be cool if they could just spawn anywhere really. Would make hunting for bear and moose more challenging. Also i think that they could impement scent factor. I mean the wind direction mechanics are already here. Would be nice if game would flee if it catches your scent. Would make hunting more realistic. Also crouch nerf should be in place - its too easy to get close to animals while crouching. 

I recently started a NOGOA run and found hacksaw on day one and hammer on day 3.  What is interesting is that i feel same way with the clothes as on interloper - it seems that there are more of it. Im on day 6 and have 2 x combat pants and overall +12 on clothing. Im basically warm - dont have to make fires every 100 meters. On my way to forge today. 

Everything else on NOGOA mode seems ok - almost no food at all, almost no plants - got only 3 acorns  till now. 

Only odd thing - i keep finding weapon cleaning kits - found 2 now. 

Edited by James Hickok