Ever Play The Long Dark in a Cold Room?

Roberto Tomba

I live in Michigan. We're the warm, southern neighbors of our Canadian brothers in Ontario. It gets cold in the winter...usually not as cold as it gets in the game, but it's still pretty cold. I always like to immerse myself in the games I like to play. For whatever reason, I decided to start playing the game with the windows open in the winter. Some days, it's not too bad. Today, it's 11°F (-11°C). With the wind chill, it feels like it's -4°F (-20°C). I wear a hoodie when I play, but it's still pretty damn cold. I like the cold room when I'm playing because it makes my situation feel more real, and more desperate. 

I play in a room where I can close the door. That way, it doesn't set off the thermostat and overheat the rest of the house. I play after my wife's gone to bed. One time, she walked in the room , and wondered why it was so cold. I explained it to her, and she looked at me like I was insane. Maybe she's right. 

Edited by Roberto Tomba
misspelling
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Roberto Tomba said:

I live in Michigan. We're the warm, southern neighbors of our Canadian brothers in Ontario. It gets cold in the winter...usually not as cold as it gets in the game, but it's still pretty cold. I always like to immerse myself in the games I like to play. For whatever reason, I decided to start playing the game with the windows open in the winter. Some days, it's not too bad. Today, it's 11°F (-11°C). With the wind chill, it feels like it's -4°F (-20°C). I wear a hoodie when I play, but it's still pretty damn cold. I like the cold room when I'm playing because it makes my situation feel more real, and more desperate. 

I play in a room where I can close the door. That way, it doesn't set off the thermostat and overheat the rest of the house. I play after my wife's gone to bed. One time, she walked in the room , and wondered why it was so cold. I explained it to her, and she looked at me like I was insane. Maybe she's right. 

Well I wouldn't say insane exactly..  but I thought my house was cold at a balmy 13c   🙂.  But I am English...

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Well I wouldn't say insane exactly..  but I thought my house was cold at a balmy 13c   🙂.  But I am English...

Fellow brit here and I agree. I'd love to live somewhere like the OP, but I'm not sure I could handle anything below a pleasant 0c, lol!

Though, @Roberto Tomba, it must be pretty cool (no pun intended), to play with such extreme temperatures, since you're able to shiver alongside your survivor and in a bit of a milder way, feel their pain as you navigate the barren wilderness...

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Fellow brit here and I agree. I'd love to live somewhere like the OP, but I'm not sure I could handle anything below a pleasant 0c, lol!

Though, @Roberto Tomba, it must be pretty cool (no pun intended), to play with such extreme temperatures, since you're able to shiver alongside your survivor and in a bit of a milder way, feel their pain as you navigate the barren wilderness...

Lol. 🙂

@Roberto Tomba I love how you attempt to be more immersive by playing in a cold room!

The game does suck you in and the best story I have is that I was playing it on one hot August summer day.  The high for the day was well over 95F which is damn hot for Western Washington.  In my game, I was slogging thru a sudden blinding snowstorm, disoriented, out on the ice of Coastal Highway and seeking shelter, the wind blowing furiously and the sound of the wind was ringing thru my ears as the pitch of the storm was becoming a blizzard.   As the windchill was wearing away at my character, I could feel the chill soaking into my bones, at which point I promptly got up and quickly closed the window to the room I was playing in!

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

@Roberto Tomba I love how you attempt to be more immersive by playing in a cold room!

The game does suck you in and the best story I have is that I was playing it on one hot August summer day.  The high for the day was well over 95F which is damn hot for Western Washington.  In my game, I was slogging thru a sudden blinding snowstorm, disoriented, out on the ice of Coastal Highway and seeking shelter, the wind blowing furiously and the sound of the wind was ringing thru my ears as the pitch of the storm was becoming a blizzard.   As the windchill was wearing away at my character, I could feel the chill soaking into my bones, at which point I promptly got up and quickly closed the window to the room I was playing in!

Yes...this is the other side of that immersion coin. The game is so good that you forget about the world outside. It's refreshing in a weird way to play the game in the summer. That scenario reminds me of the Twilight Zone episode, The Midnight Sun, where a woman dreams that she's in a world that's heading closer to the sun and getting progressively hotter. She awakens to find it was all a dream...and that the world is actually moving away from the sun, and getting colder and colder. Sorry for the spoiler if you haven't seen it, but this is one Twilight Zone episode that everyone needs to see.

The Twilight Zone" The Midnight Sun (TV Episode 1961) - IMDb

• Upvote 3

On 1/15/2022 at 1:17 PM, Roberto Tomba said:

Hah) Seems to be oddly familiar) My wife sometimes called me insane also)) But I live in Russia, where a cold winter nights equals to Canadian. There's a "The Long Dark" athmosphere, just open a window)
A chilling smell of snow, cold, dark and infinity of entire universe... 
At 31 december of 2021 I've bought a Xiaomi RGB smart LED bulb, program it to light like a "The Long Dark metal lamp" during Aurora borealis. It's making an amazing athmosphere) 
No, I see no insanity in the overwhelming imagination. It's great, it's brings me calm and tranquility.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Wonderland wanderer said:

Hah) Seems to be oddly familiar) My wife sometimes called me insane also)) But I live in Russia, where a cold winter nights equals to Canadian. There's a "The Long Dark" athmosphere, just open a window)
A chilling smell of snow, cold, dark and infinity of entire universe... 
At 31 december of 2021 I've bought a Xiaomi RGB smart LED bulb, program it to light like a "The Long Dark metal lamp" during Aurora borealis. It's making an amazing athmosphere) 
No, I see no insanity in the overwhelming imagination. It's great, it's brings me calm and tranquility.

That's a phenomenal idea (the lamp). This will amp up the immersion. Thank you.

As weird as it will sound to many, I know you understand me when I say I'm disappointed when Winter isn't harsh. I want the cold and the snow. I do enjoy taking my dogs for a walk when the temperatures are in single digit temperatures (Fahrenheit), and one of my dogs also enjoys walks regardless of the weather. Dogs would be a great random game mode. I'd love to have a dog, for companionship and for protection. But, not my dogs. I don't think pugs would do well. 

And, also, amazing sentiment about the value of creativity. 

I took my laptop with me down to Mexico before the pandemic and was playing TLD outside on the patio in 28deg C sunny weather with tropical birds chirping and the sound of people splashing in the pool when my friend looked up from his book and said "Is that a blizzard I hear???"

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/20/2022 at 6:08 AM, Roberto Tomba said:

As weird as it will sound to many, I know you understand me when I say I'm disappointed when Winter isn't harsh. I want the cold and the snow. 

Though I live where temperatures seldom go below -5 Celsius in winter, I completely agree. This winter has been rubbish, some ice storms, rain (lots of rain), but little snow. I'd love to live somewhere with more extreme winters so I'm kind of jealous lol.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Though I live where temperatures seldom go below -5 Celsius in winter, I completely agree. This winter has been rubbish, some ice storms, rain (lots of rain), but little snow. I'd love to live somewhere with more extreme winters so I'm kind of jealous lol.

You must be a lot younger than me then. We actually used to get quite a bit of snow, but sadly since the 1980s it's dwindled to nothing !  Having said tha it still didn't go much below -5c!🙂 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

You must be a lot younger than me then. We actually used to get quite a bit of snow, but sadly since the 1980s it's dwindled to nothing !  Having said tha it still didn't go much below -5c!🙂 

Of course I'm not going to give my real age, but yeah I am quite a lot younger. The most snow I remember getting is about a foot in 2011, but we generally get from a few cm up to an inch per year. Though we got perhaps 20 cm last year around this time. 

How much snow did you used to get, roughly? Just so I can kind of compare. I swear I was born in the wrong place, haha, I love cold weather.

Edited by Catlover

3 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Of course I'm not going to give my real age, but yeah I am quite a lot younger. The most snow I remember getting is about a foot in 2011, but we generally get a few inches. Though we got perhaps 20 cm last year around this time. 

How much snow did you used to get, roughly? Just so I can kind of compare. I swear I was born in the wrong place, haha, I love cold weather.

I think  the deepest I remember is about 4-5feet. Not including the snowdrifts!  We used to turn them into little caves for the dog!  He wasn't a fan of cold weather. Lol 🙂  It brought the phone lines down, before they were underground!  Standing in the warm kitchen while the dinner was cooking eating Easter eggs watching the snow fall heavily outside! Great memories I'll never forget! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I think  the deepest I remember is about 4-5feet. Not including the snowdrifts!  We used to turn them into little caves for the dog!  He wasn't a fan of cold weather. Lol 🙂  It brought the phone lines down, before they were underground!  Standing in the warm kitchen while the dinner was cooking eating Easter eggs watching the snow fall heavily outside! Great memories I'll never forget! 

Oh wow you must live up north or something, I'm definitely envious, I can't imagine that much snow here lol

Although we don't get much, I'm still glad we get some. Some of my online friends have never seen snow. 

Edited by Catlover

2 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Oh wow you must live up north or something, I'm definitely envious, I can't imagine that much snow here lol

Afraid not! I'd love to live halfway up Snowdon or Ben Nevis 🙂  I'm in the east Midlands.  The most we've had here in the last ten years or so is about an inch ,which thawed after a day or two! 

30 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Afraid not! I'd love to live halfway up Snowdon or Ben Nevis 🙂  I'm in the east Midlands.  The most we've had here in the last ten years or so is about an inch ,which thawed after a day or two! 

Ah yeah. I walked up halfway up sowdon once, it was incredible! I'd definitely want to live there too, lol. 

I live around northern Lincolnshire which is rather costal, which could explain how little snow we have. 

We generally get an inch too though I have noticed snowier Februarys and Marchs in the last few years. Last year we got, as you know, 20 cm though it actually stuck around, snowing continuously, on and off, for a week or so until it unfortunately turned to slush. First year we've been able to make some decent sized snowmen, which was great

Edited by Catlover
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Ah yeah. I walked up halfway up sowdon once, it was incredible! I'd definitely want to live there too, lol. 

I live around northern Lincolnshire which is rather costal, which could explain how little snow we have. 

We generally get an inch too though I have noticed snowier Februarys and Marchs in the last few years. Last year we got, as you know, 20 cm though it actually stuck around, snowing continuously, on and off, for a week or so until it unfortunately turned to slush. First year we've been able to make some decent sized snowmen, which was great

Yes I've noticed its coming later  every year.   Weird weather really...

My gardens not really big enough to build snowmen so we used to build snow dogs instead!  Our old dog used to just growl at it then  pee  on it!😁

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Yes I've noticed its coming later  every year.   Weird weather really...

My gardens not really big enough to build snowmen so we used to build snow dogs instead!  Our old dog used to just growl at it then  pee  on it!😁

Haha we used to build snow dogs too but clearly they weren't very realistic as our dog didn't care. 

And yeah the weather here is pretty weird. Perhaps due to global warming, but I haven't looked into it much

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Haha we used to build snow dogs too but clearly they weren't very realistic as our dog didn't care. 

And yeah the weather here is pretty weird. Perhaps due to global warming, but I haven't looked into it much

I think it's a territorial thing with the dog! Mine didn't like strangers , so I suppose he saw it as a threat!  🙂 

Love this topic, glad I'm not alone in taking immersion to the extremes 😄 It's been really chilly recently here in North Yorkshire, winds sweeping across the open countryside which have taken more than a few tiles off the roof 🙄😫 On an evening, I've had my window open a touch ... Aside from goosebumps, it's amusing to hear the circulating draughts rattle doors while the roof bellows demonically, and on the TV I'm surviving a similarly intense storm at PV farmhouse. Might throw my drawers on the floor and scatter some papers about ... If only I had a green balaclava and a rabbit hat to wear, I'd virtually be living it 😄

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

Love this topic, glad I'm not alone in taking immersion to the extremes 😄 It's been really chilly recently here in North Yorkshire, winds sweeping across the open countryside which have taken more than a few tiles off the roof 🙄😫 On an evening, I've had my window open a touch ... Aside from goosebumps, it's amusing to hear the circulating draughts rattle doors while the roof bellows demonically, and on the TV I'm surviving a similarly intense storm at PV farmhouse. Might throw my drawers on the floor and scatter some papers about ... If only I had a green balaclava and a rabbit hat to wear, I'd virtually be living it 😄

Apart from there's no wolves and you have a working toilet!😁

• Upvote 1