Ever Play The Long Dark in a Cold Room?

Roberto Tomba

Just now, Catlover said:

Oddly, that describes my ASD in a way. I'm stupidly hypersensitive and I thought it was just overthinking but I've found that I get hurt by things far too easily, mostly because I subconsciously manipulate the meaning with some words, like fine, and ok into words that mean they don't want to talk to me, and such, and basically offend myself because I get so anxious over what they've said. Though I'm sure what you deal with is way worse and I hope it gets better. 

That sounds identical. Are you sure you don't have EUPD? 😜 Its basically an overactive amygdala, controls the fight and flight response in your brain. The simplest thing can be twisted into something translated as harmful and suddenly the adrenaline kicks in because you're preparing for the worst. I think a lot of these conditions are interlinked. In a way it's nice that we can relate, in another I'd happily wish this mental turbulence away from you in a second. I know it's horrible. I hate to think anyone would feel as I do at my worst.

Buuuut, we're also strong and resilient. And generally good folk I reckon, evidenced here today 👍

1 minute ago, Catlover said:

Also just know that you're not alone. If you're having a bad day, feel free to pm Leeanda or I, or just come onto our hijacked post, lol

Same applies, thank you. Means a lot. And I don't have psychosis by the way, just weird auditory phenomena that resembles it. It's all very peculiar and nothing at all to do with TLD 😬😜

1 minute ago, Matt Lomax said:

That sounds identical. Are you sure you don't have EUPD? 😜 Its basically an overactive amygdala, controls the fight and flight response in your brain. The simplest thing can be twisted into something translated as harmful and suddenly the adrenaline kicks in because you're preparing for the worst. I think a lot of these conditions are interlinked. In a way it's nice that we can relate, in another I'd happily wish this mental turbulence away from you in a second. I know it's horrible. I hate to think anyone would feel as I do at my worst.

Buuuut, we're also strong and resilient. And generally good folk I reckon, evidenced here today 👍

I think I may have it then, lol, as what you've said describes me perfectly. May mention that. Just what I need, another mental disorder! Though I'm sure it's just overthinking. 

And I feel the same. On one hand, it's nice to talk to someone who understands but I wish none of us had to deal this. You're a lovely person and don't deserve everything you've been through. I'm definitely looking up EUPD later though! 

And yeah I'd say both of you are some of the strongest people I know

3 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

Same applies, thank you. Means a lot. And I don't have psychosis by the way, just weird auditory phenomena that resembles it. It's all very peculiar and nothing at all to do with TLD 😬😜

Ah, my bad. And haha I'm sure TLD doesn't help, with all that haunting audio, lol 

And thank you :) This thread has somehow turned into a wholesome one and I'm here for it

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I think I may have it then, lol, as what you've said describes me perfectly. May mention that. Just what I need, another mental disorder! Though I'm sure it's just overthinking. 

And I feel the same. On one hand, it's nice to talk to someone who understands but I wish none of us had to deal this. You're a lovely person and don't deserve everything you've been through. I'm definitely looking up EUPD later though! 

And yeah I'd say both of you are some of the strongest people I know

Over thinking and over analysis are what led me down this path. Had a blow out because I was reading too much into everything basically. Then got paranoid everything was against me. Wasn't till I was psychologically evaluated they came up with childhood neglect etc. Weird. Never even realised myself. But they knew immediately. I think they're all very similar conditions. Worth looking up though as it is an interesting read.

And you too, don't underestimate your own strength to express empathy and compassion as you have. It's the hardest thing to face, harder still to accept, and just as tough to discuss. You're a legend 💪

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Also I'm really sorry but can we pick this up where we left off tomorrow, I would normally stay up but I'm really busy tomorrow and I'm kind of tired now.  I'll likely be up at six so I'll see you then :) I hope you'll be able to get some sleep

No worries, sweet dreams ☺

• Like 1

Just now, Matt Lomax said:

Over thinking and over analysis are what led me down this path. Had a blow out because I was reading too much into everything basically. Then got paranoid everything was against me. Wasn't till I was psychologically evaluated they came up with childhood neglect etc. Weird. Never even realised myself. But they knew immediately. I think they're all very similar conditions. Worth looking up though as it is an interesting read.

And you too, don't underestimate your own strength to express empathy and compassion as you have. It's the hardest thing to face, harder still to accept, and just as tough to discuss. You're a legend 💪

Aww thank you, right back at you! Honestly I'm smiling so much now haha

It sounds like you've been through so much and it's honestly inspiring. 

It's odd how open I've been today, haha. Totally not like me but it's been really nice talking to both of you. Also I'll look it up tomorrow. 

Sweet dreams, and I'll message again later! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Catlover said:

@Matt Lomax @Leeanda Morning!

Matt, is your house still on the ground? Hopefully you haven't been whisked off to oz, lol

It's unfortunately nice and sunny today but I'm hoping it will snow later or something. We'll see.

Good morning . I think!🙂 

My apologies I didn't get much sleep and I'm not feeling so well today either.  I have read all the comments and you both pretty much said everything I would've said! Only you did it better!🙂 

Got to go and write my morning log  while I can remember it... Well most of it anyway😁

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Good morning . I think!🙂 

My apologies I didn't get much sleep and I'm not feeling so well today either.  I have read all the comments and you both pretty much said everything I would've said! Only you did it better!🙂 

Got to go and write my morning log  while I can remember it... Well most of it anyway😁

Oh no, I hope you'll feel better soon, I was meant to get up at six but slept right through my alarm! 

And aw thanks, I had a lovely time with the both of you last night :)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Oh no, I hope you'll feel better soon, I was meant to get up at six but slept right through my alarm! 

And aw thanks, I had a lovely time with the both of you last night :)

Well a lie in never did anyone any harm!🙂  

And same here!😁 

I have to admit though I did get a bit stressed out trying to keep up with everything, which is mostly why I went silent for a while. I struggle to think when I get like that , which then stresses me out further! 🙂 Vicious circle lol!! 

It annoys me when I get like that and then I just don't know what to write.. good job you both did ! But I share the sentiments none the less! .

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Leeanda said:

Well a lie in never did anyone any harm!🙂  

And same here!😁 

I have to admit though I did get a bit stressed out trying to keep up with everything, which is mostly why I went silent for a while. I struggle to think when I get like that , which then stresses me out further! 🙂 Vicious circle lol!! 

It annoys me when I get like that and then I just don't know what to write.. good job you both did ! But I share the sentiments none the less! .

I'm sorry that we stressed you out, I'll try type slower to give you chance to join the conversation. 

I get like that too though, though more with real conversations with other people, oddly not so much with texting. So I can understand. If you ever want us to slow down, though, let us know :) 

I'm sorry that we stressed you out, I'll try type slower to give you chance to join the conversation. 

I get like that too though, though more with real conversations with other people, oddly not so much with texting. So I can understand. If you ever want us to slow down, though, let us know :) 

No no no! I didn't mean you stressed  me out! I meant I  kind of wasn't sure how to answer and by the time I figured it out ,I was way behind the conversation and you'd both said what I was going to say. Entirely my fault not yours or Matt's. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Leeanda said:

No no no! I didn't mean you stressed  me out! I meant I  kind of wasn't sure how to answer and by the time I figured it out ,I was way behind the conversation and you'd both said what I was going to say. Entirely my fault not yours or Matt's. 

Ah, still though I'm sorry that you felt that you got left behind. I was worried that would happen to me, honestly, as you and Matt seem to already be pretty good friends. :)

I have to admit all of the talk of shaving did confuse me, lol 

Ah, still though I'm sorry that you felt that you got left behind. I was worried that would happen to me, honestly, as you and Matt seem to already be pretty good friends. :)

I have to admit all of the talk of shaving did confuse me, lol 

No problem, I'm just a bit slow to react and don't want to say the wrong thing, as I have done on more than one occasion 🙂  

We've had a few discussions before, he's a good man . Despite the shaving thing!😁   Why he worries about putting his voice out there I don't know? He's funny. Interesting and intelligent.  But don't really understand what he's going through, but kudos to him for coping the way he is.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Leeanda said:

No problem, I'm just a bit slow to react and don't want to say the wrong thing, as I have done on more than one occasion 🙂  

We've had a few discussions before, he's a good man . Despite the shaving thing!😁   Why he worries about putting his voice out there I don't know? He's funny. Interesting and intelligent.  But don't really understand what he's going through, but kudos to him for coping the way he is.

An issue I have is because I'm autistic it can be hard for me to gauge what is and what isn't appropriate to say and as I see things as more black and white, it's common for me to seem rude and unintentionally offensive. So I totally get that. 

I really like him too and agree with everything you said. I can understand what he's going through a little, but that's only with what he's shared. More than once he's made me laugh out loud and smile, and I really hope he'll gain the confidence to post more as he fits right in!

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I was just worried that I'd end up out of the loop as you know each other a little already. It was just me overthinking though, of course that didn't happen!

No worries there! He obviously likes you and you seem to have a lot in common. 

Just hope his house hasn't blown away!

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I've read a lot of your  comments and the story and it's always been fair,polite and respectful . You should have more faith in yourself! 

He's definitely a good laugh  ! And I hope he continues to keep posting too! 

I hope so too! And thank you, I'm trying to have more self confidence. I know you and Matt understand what it's like sometimes.

Though if I do ever say the wrong thing, please tell me. It's the only way I can learn.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

No worries there! He obviously likes you and you seem to have a lot in common.

Yeah, I hope he likes me. I think he's a great guy and it's been nice to talk to someone else who kind of understands. I know we're both going through different things but we both, all three of us really, know what it's like to have a bad day

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I hope so too! And thank you, I'm trying to have more self confidence. I know you and Matt understand what it's like sometimes.

Though if I do ever say the wrong thing, please tell me. It's the only way I can learn.

No problem!  I doubt that'd ever happen but if you do, I will! 

• Upvote 1