Ever Play The Long Dark in a Cold Room?

Roberto Tomba

@Matt Lomax

If you were a six foot child, all I can say is your poor mother, lol! 

It's not too severe right now but it's definitely going to be in a bit. Gonna go lock those bins, I don't need my neighbours watching me chase down a weelie bin. Would be slightly embarrassing, lol. 

I'm glad it's calmer for you, I'm guessing it is moving down to us now or something 

Edit- Also, where did this whole shaving thing come about lol, been trying to hunt it down in that wolf mauling thing, but couldn't find where it was mentioned 🤔

Edited by Catlover
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Catlover said:

@Matt Lomax

If you were a six foot child, all I can say is your poor mother, lol! 

It's not too severe right now but it's definitely going to be in a bit. Gonna go lock those bins, I don't need my neighbours watching me chase down a weelie bin. Would be slightly embarrassing, lol. 

I'm glad it's calmer for you, I'm guessing it is moving down to us now or something 

Edit- Also, where did this whole shaving thing come about lol, been trying to hunt it down in that wolf mauling thing, but couldn't find where it was mentioned 🤔

Haha! Scary thought 😄

Well, I've just had to rescue one of the recycling bins from the swampy back garden. It's actually freezing, raining and the wind has picked up again. Very interchangeable. Going to crack TLD up shortly, time for true immersion.

Yeah you gotta be prepared, don't want your neighbours recording you chasing stray bins ... Be on Youtube before you know it.

Crow shaving ... 🤔 The bicycles thread apparently, just found it 😄

Edited by Matt Lomax

51 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

Haha! Scary thought 😄

Well, I've just had to rescue one of the recycling bins from the swampy back garden. It's actually freezing, raining and the wind has picked up again. Very interchangeable. Going to crack TLD up shortly, time for true immersion.

Yeah you gotta be prepared, don't want your neighbours recording you chasing stray bins ... Be on Youtube before you know it.

Crow shaving ... 🤔 The bicycles thread apparently, just found it 😄

Ah, thanks! 

And yep, if I'm going to be going viral on yt, I'd rather it be on my own terms, lol! 

And oh no, ig the pv weather hasn't relented just yet. Hopefully none of your other bins will try making a run for it 🤞

Good luck on your tld game! I'm curious, what difficulty do you play on?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt Lomax said:

@Leeanda 😂 If a pet needs shaving, I'm there 😄 Wild animals, too 💪

@Catlover The dog we had growing up was a weird cross-breed Staffy thing. Not really sure. Don't think anyone really knew! He was fairly big but not bulky or anything.  Obviously I wasn't always 6' 4" either ... Would have looked odd as a child, but perhaps gone some way to explaining why the hand-me-down clothes never fit.

And lock down those bins! They only need a whisper of a breeze and they're off. Hope it isn't too severe for you. Bit calmer here, but getting colder. Still rattling the doors.

😃  Hope you're not a vet?lol😁  or a hairdresser. Poor old lady wants a nice blue rinse and comes out looking like a punk rocker!😁

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Ah, thanks! 

And yep, if I'm going to be going viral on yt, I'd rather it be on my own terms, lol! 

And oh no, ig the pv weather hasn't relented just yet. Hopefully none of your other bins will try making a run for it 🤞

Good luck on your tld game! I'm curious, what difficulty do you play on?

Haha! Wonder how many ppl have said that over the years about YT 😄

It's getting worse by the hour here, so brace yourself 😬 Someone just got out of their car to move several bins from the road, like doing slalom. Dog is barking, terrified 😂

And thanks, my main is a custom I started ages ago. Not a great deal of resources etc. Wanted to see how the world got more savage over time ... And it's working. There's not a lot left of anything. Learnt to avoid animals like the plague. Moose broke my ribs recently though. How about yourself?

30 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

😃  Hope you're not a vet?lol😁  or a hairdresser. Poor old lady wants a nice blue rinse and comes out looking like a punk rocker!😁

😄 That sounds great ... Might try thawing out a corpse so I can experiment 🤔

3 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

It's getting worse by the hour here, so brace yourself 😬 Someone just got out of their car to move several bins from the road, like doing slalom. Dog is barking, terrified 😂

And thanks, my main is a custom I started ages ago. Not a great deal of resources etc. Wanted to see how the world got more savage over time ... And it's working. There's not a lot left of anything. Learnt to avoid animals like the plague. Moose broke my ribs recently though. How about yourself?

😄 That sounds great ... Might try thawing out a corpse so I can experiment 🤔

Baron von Wolfenstein strikes again 😁

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

My current game is very similar to yours I'd expect. Basically interloper with guns and all animals on low. Though I may have forgotten about the wolves, they're everywhere!

I'm only on day 2 so far but it's going well. 

It's bad here now, but nowhere near as bad as I'd imagine it is for you. The poor dog though, lol

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Catlover said:

My current game is very similar to yours I'd expect. Basically interloper with guns and all animals on low. Though I may have forgotten about the wolves, they're everywhere!

I'm only on day 2 so far but it's going well. 

It's bad here now, but nowhere near as bad as I'd imagine it is for you. The poor dog though, lol

Yeah pretty much. Weird with the wolves actually, I don't see one for days then suddenly there are clusters everywhere. Same with dear. Have to really explore at times.

Nice one, early days. Quite riveting and despairing in equal measure at the start. Easy to forget that challenge when you get a bit too comfortable.

Haha! He's alright, he's grumpy anyway.

12 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

Yeah pretty much. Weird with the wolves actually, I don't see one for days then suddenly there are clusters everywhere. Same with dear. Have to really explore at times.

Nice one, early days. Quite riveting and despairing in equal measure at the start. Easy to forget that challenge when you get a bit too comfortable.

Haha! He's alright, he's grumpy anyway.

Haha yeah, though it feels like I'm playing with stalker level wolves. Loot is rare but I've gotten a hammer so am on my way to getting a hatchet and stuff. But I know from experience how that easy lifestyle can all change in a moment

Edited by Catlover

8 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Haha yeah, though it feels like I'm playing with stalker level wolves. Loot is rare but I've gotten a hammer so am on my way to getting a hatchet and stuff. But I know from experience how that easy lifestyle can all change in a moment

Yeah that's not a bad start at all. And very true, warding off complacency is trickier than the wolves sometimes. I keep stone caches scattered about and try to keep them topped up with the fish I catch when I rotate ice fishing to grow my oil reserves. Nice to always have a stock handy just in case things go pear-shaped. Though as I run out of essentials I've resorted to beachcombing occasionally ... Hypothermia risk is my new best friend 😄

How's weather for you? I have a couple of mild days then incredible blizzards for 3 or 4 days it seems, bit of fog then more blizzards then a couple of clear days. Just when it seems there's a pattern ... It flips again and goes haywire. Just like the British weather ... And now I'm back on topic 😬

9 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

Yeah that's not a bad start at all. And very true, warding off complacency is trickier than the wolves sometimes. I keep stone caches scattered about and try to keep them topped up with the fish I catch when I rotate ice fishing to grow my oil reserves. Nice to always have a stock handy just in case things go pear-shaped. Though as I run out of essentials I've resorted to beachcombing occasionally ... Hypothermia risk is my new best friend 😄

How's weather for you? I have a couple of mild days then incredible blizzards for 3 or 4 days it seems, bit of fog then more blizzards then a couple of clear days. Just when it seems there's a pattern ... It flips again and goes haywire. Just like the British weather ... And now I'm back on topic 😬

Weatherwise, I get blizzards daily so far. So I find that travelling at night is best, and during the scheduled morning blizzard, I craft, sleep, or go to wolf infested places. That might seem stupid but here me out, wolves poof during a blizzard, I've done my research and I can guarentee somewhere full of wolves, eg the orchard is completely empty which makes travelling easier if you know the area, which I do somewhat. 

When it turns to heavy snow, I then head off and start travelling, looting, etc as night will soon be on the way. 

I'm tempted to start a cache in late game but it's early days right now so I can't do much planning. I'm thinking of turning the shop into a place to store supplies and living in a very homely cabin in thomsons crossing. There are wolves in the shape of eventual dinner next door, and I'm not too far from most things. 

Do you ever do roleplays? Like writing a journal in-game in the daily notes section? Or coming up with how they got lost in great bear, naming them, etc? 

I generally say they got lost whilst hiking, and I've dubbed my current survivor Wolf Meat Will, as that's how I imagine he'll meet his demise.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Weatherwise, I get blizzards daily so far. So I find that travelling at night is best, and during the scheduled morning blizzard, I craft, sleep, or go to wolf infested places. That might seem stupid but here me out, wolves poof during a blizzard, I've done my research and I can guarentee somewhere full of wolves, eg the orchard is completely empty which makes travelling easier if you know the area, which I do somewhat. 

When it turns to heavy snow, I then head off and start travelling, looting, etc as night will soon be on the way. 

I'm tempted to start a cache in late game but it's early days right now so I can't do much planning. I'm thinking of turning the shop into a place to store supplies and living in a very homely cabin in thomsons crossing. There are wolves in the shape of eventual dinner next door, and I'm not too far from most things. 

Do you ever do roleplays? Like writing a journal in-game in the daily notes section? Or coming up with how they got lost in great bear, naming them, etc? 

I generally say they got lost whilst hiking, and I've dubbed my current survivor Wolf Meat Will, as that's how I imagine he'll meet his demise.

As a quick note, had to shut my window as the gale almost ripped it from the frame. That's taking immersion a bit too far.

That's really interesting wolf behaviour, hadn't noticed that after all this time. Definitely advantageous to experiment, so many variables.

Nice idea with the shop, definitely too early till you find your feet and find a place to hunker down in. PV farmhouse has all my junk there, including 16 storm lanterns and 7 revolvers. Crazy. I like those cabins around Thomson's. I got carried away and plundered every place entirely, kind of regret it now as all the houses are merely empty shells 😫

I tend to diarise stuff or RP when I'm chilling at PV. Sometimes daily, other times once a week or just whenever. Just had so much to do this past in-game month I've neglected it. Always enjoy it though, gives nice continuity to the experience.

Wolf meat Will 😂 Love that. Cool ideas and really great we all do similar things. Should call mine Moose rib Mike then, twice I've been stomped 😄

Edited by Matt Lomax
  • Like 1

As a quick note, had to shut my window as the gale almost ripped it from the frame. That's taking immersion a bit too far.

That's really interesting wolf behaviour, hadn't noticed that after all this time. Definitely advantageous to experiment, so many variables.

Nice idea with the shop, definitely too early till you find your feet and find a place to hunker down in. PV farmhouse has all my junk there, including 16 storm lanterns and 7 revolvers. Crazy. I like those cabins around Thomson's. I got carried away and plundered every place entirely, kind of regret it now as all the houses are merely empty shells 😫

I tend to diarise stuff or RP when I'm chilling at PV. Sometimes daily, other times once a week or just whenever. Just had so much to do this past in-game month I've neglected it. Always enjoy it though, gives nice continuity to the experience.

Wolf meat Will 😂 Love that. Cool ideas and really great we all do similar things. Should call mine Moose rib Mike then, twice I've been stomped 😄

Haha brilliant. Moose Rib Mike and Wolf Meat Will, survivors of the canadian wilderness. That really needs to be a book- 

Also oh no! It's super windy here too now, I can hear it blowing our poor trees around. I'm dreading seeing the damage tomorrow lol, my neighbours fence falls over at the slightest wind so we may wake up to it just gone.

And wow that's a lotta revolvers- I have a rifle but no ammo- I was gonna go head to the signal hill but a wolf near thomsons was there and I just ran back lol. It's pretty easy to avoid wolves, I find, just so long as you don't get too close. And the ironic thing is that I was going off the road to avoid said wolf in the first place, as that's where it normally is! So now I'm just gonna chill until the wolf has gone before going out. 

I would have had the farmstead as my home but avoiding four to six wolves with max scent and damage every time I left and went back seemed too risky. Though it seems thomsons has it's fair share of wildlife. Just wait until I find rifle ammo!

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Haha brilliant. Moose Rib Mike and Wolf Meat Will, survivors of the canadian wilderness. That really needs to be a book- 

Also oh no! It's super windy here too now, I can hear it blowing our poor trees around. I'm dreading seeing the damage tomorrow lol, my neighbours fence falls over at the slightest wind so we may wake up to it just gone.

And wow that's a lotta revolvers- I have a rifle but no ammo- I was gonna go head to the signal hill but a wolf near thomsons was there and I just ran back lol. It's pretty easy to avoid wolves, I find, just so long as you don't get too close. And the ironic thing is that I was going off the road to avoid said wolf in the first place, as that's where it normally is! So now I'm just gonna chill until the wolf has gone before going out. 

I would have had the farmstead as my home but avoiding four to six wolves with max scent and damage every time I left and went back seemed too risky. Though it seems thomsons has it's fair share of wildlife. Just wait until I find rifle ammo!

We'll co-author a "The Adventures of .. " book 😄

Oh no, flying fences on the horizon. Literally, it sounds like. We suffer with it being rural around here, so I can relate with the fencing. Fingers crossed it doesn't get too ferocious.

Haha! Pesky wolves. I know exactly where you mean and often see several around there, 1 at the right of the road and up to 3 to the left near the snowy path mounds leading to the farm.

A rifle with no ammo is surely the ultimate tease. Does it deter wolves still?

Interesting you mentioned those farmhouse wolves. Since I cleared 3 from the front field they've never returned in 1000 days. They just occupy the opposite side and the back. Sometimes a solitary deer braves it. Think I've been lucky so far.

Good luck finding ammo, hopefully some nearby 👊

Edited by Matt Lomax

We'll co-author a "The Adventures of .. " book 😄

Oh no, flying fences on the horizon. Literally, it sounds like. We suffer with it being rural around here, so I can relate with the fencing. Fingers crossed it doesn't get too ferocious.

Haha! Pesky wolves. I know exactly where you mean and often see several around there, 1 at the right of the road and up to 3 to the left near the snowy path mounds leading to the farm.

A rifle with no ammo is surely the ultimate tease. Does it deter wolves still?

Interesting you mentioned those farmhouse wolves. Since I cleared 3 from the front field they've never returned in 1000 days. They just occupy the opposite side and the back. Sometimes a solitary deer braves it. Think I've been lucky so far.

Good luck finding ammo, hopefully some nearby 👊

Thanks, gonna keep my fingers crossed that there will be some down in costal highway, where I'm heading once I'm settled.

We're not particularly rural so fortunately have some buildings sheltering us from the storm but I can still hear it being an absolute pain. It dulls down for a minute but then roars back to life. 

Also no, unfortunately the rifle just makes them mad. If I go to fire it, they instantly charge so my main wolf tactic right now is to run for the hills. I'm aware a hammer is good against wolves but I don't expect they're easy to come by so don't want it being ruined by a wolf mauling, lol. 

Also, about your wolf thing, that's really interesting. When I get the chance I'm gonna go pick em all off and hopefully they too will leave me be 

Also yes, we need to co author it, lol. We could do it in the style of that collaborative fanfiction here where we can both take it in turns writing a paragraph about our individual characters and their hardships. Why do I kind of want to do that, lol

Edited by Catlover

40 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Thanks, gonna keep my fingers crossed that there will be some down in costal highway, where I'm heading once I'm settled.

We're not particularly rural so fortunately have some buildings sheltering us from the storm but I can still hear it being an absolute pain. It dulls down for a minute but then roars back to life. 

Also no, unfortunately the rifle just makes them mad. If I go to fire it, they instantly charge so my main wolf tactic right now is to run for the hills. I'm aware a hammer is good against wolves but I don't expect they're easy to come by so don't want it being ruined by a wolf mauling, lol. 

Also, about your wolf thing, that's really interesting. When I get the chance I'm gonna go pick em all off and hopefully they too will leave me be 

Also yes, we need to co author it, lol. We could do it in the style of that collaborative fanfiction here where we can both take it in turns writing a paragraph about our individual characters and their hardships. Why do I kind of want to do that, lol

Eek, plenty of animal surprises at CH. But also lots of plunder.

I've turned the stereo up to block out the groaning roof above me. Kind of annoying, isn't it? Probably be 90 degrees tomorrow 😄

Hope the field thing works, I'm surprised they've never returned to that patch as they do everywhere else. Nice to have a clear run up the front by the frozen river.

Haha! Yeah it's kinda tempting. Love being creative. Just never have the confidence to share such things 👍👊

7 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

Eek, plenty of animal surprises at CH. But also lots of plunder.

I've turned the stereo up to block out the groaning roof above me. Kind of annoying, isn't it? Probably be 90 degrees tomorrow 😄

Hope the field thing works, I'm surprised they've never returned to that patch as they do everywhere else. Nice to have a clear run up the front by the frozen river.

Haha! Yeah it's kinda tempting. Love being creative. Just never have the confidence to share such things 👍👊

I both love and hate CH for that, lol. High risk but high reward. 

And yeah I'm hoping it will too, just gotta hope I find ammo. 

Also, I completely get that. I have anxiety so it's hard to summon up the confidence to share things, but I love how supportive this community is, so it helped me gain confidence to share things and I hope it will do the same with you :)

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I both love and hate CH for that, lol. High risk but high reward. 

And yeah I'm hoping it will too, just gotta hope I find ammo. 

Also, I completely get that. I have anxiety so it's hard to summon up the confidence to share things, but I love how supportive this community is, so it helped me gain confidence to share things and I hope it will do the same with you :)

Definitely. I had a big smile on my face walking out of Quonset once after a good haul ... Until a huge bear manifested by the cars ... That kind of summed it up nicely for me 😄

Sorry to hear that but I can relate only too well. Wouldn't wish it on anyone. But thank you, it's a positive, welcoming and homely place. I just worry I'm posting too often after plucking up the courage to sign up 😬😄

Edited by Matt Lomax
Typo
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

Definitely. I had a big smile on my face walking out of Quonset once after a goid haul ... Until a huge bear manifested by the cars ... That kind of summed it up nicely for me 😄

Sorry to hear that but I can relate only too well. Wouldn't wish it on anyone. But thank you, it's a positive, welcoming and homely place. I just worry I'm posting too often after plucking up the courage to sign up 😬😄

Catlovers right! It really is a welcoming community , and like her I have anxiety and depression. But thanks to the support I've had you can't shut me up!🙂  Easier said than done though but I for one like your comments and would love to hear your thoughts!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Catlovers right! It really is a welcoming community , and like her I have anxiety and depression. But thanks to the support I've had you can't shut me up!🙂  Easier said than done though but I for one like your comments and would love to hear your thoughts!

I completely agree! Whenever you gain the courage to post something @Matt Lomax, we, your, british friends, or mates if we're going full British, would love to see your creativity. Also, honestly there is no such thing as posting too much. 

13 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

Definitely. I had a big smile on my face walking out of Quonset once after a good haul ... Until a huge bear manifested by the cars ... That kind of summed it up nicely for me 😄

Haha gotta love CH and the fact it seems to hate survivors. Personally I find it way harder than PV, though that's meant to be more advanced lol. 

And you're welcome :) Of course I'm not going to force you to post more but if you did post your creativity I guarantee you'll get nothing but positivity.

Honestly, I don't like social media or anything online-based but here is the only place I feel comfortable chatting with strangers as everyone is so genuinely nice and inclusive. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Thanks, means a lot 👍 I'm in good company it seems. Not easy for me to say, but I was recently diagnosed with EUPD, OCD, MADD and PTSD. Kind of hate labels and being defined by acronyms but ... There you go. What a catch 😄 I tend to keep a bit distant and never know what to say as I have never really felt my words held any value. How strange that a game about surviving isolation would guide me to a community that enables me to open up a little. So thank you for making me feel worth listening to ☺

• Like 2

Just now, Matt Lomax said:

Thanks, means a lot 👍 I'm in good company it seems. Not easy for me to say, but I was recently diagnosed with EUPD, OCD, MADD and PTSD. Kind of hate labels and being defined by acronyms but ... There you go. What a catch 😄 I tend to keep a bit distant and never know what to say as I have never really felt my words held any value. How strange that a game about surviving isolation would guide me to a community that enables me to open up a little. So thank you for making me feel worth listening to ☺

*hugs* You're amazing, that's all I can say. 

I deal with ADHD, ASD, GAD and depression (I too hate acronyms). I have to say you're such a strong person to be dealing with that and I hope you know that me and @Leeandaand everyone here are always here for you

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Also @Leeanda I really have so much respect for you. You're so positive and nice here despite the depression which I'm all too familiar with. That's what I aim to be like someday :)

Cheers, fellow Brit 👍👊😄 I'd say you're already there going by these comments. Very moving actually.

2 minutes ago, Catlover said:

*hugs* You're amazing, that's all I can say. 

I deal with ADHD, ASD, GAD and depression (I too hate acronyms). I have to say you're such a strong person to be dealing with that and I hope you know that me and @Leeandaand everyone here are always here for you

Right back at you, and it's a pleasure getting to know you ☺ Problem with labels is it gives people an excuse to not take you seriously. So they play into the psychological disorder you're fighting. Aaanyway ...

As for CH, totally agree. Nightmare. A simple fishing excursion is a fight for your life half the time. I clear out the area around the fishing huts as I keep my caches there. Only 1 wolf usually to clear out. PV is a holiday by comparison.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Matt Lomax said:

Cheers, fellow Brit 👍👊😄 I'd say you're already there going by these comments. Very moving actually.

Right back at you, and it's a pleasure getting to know you ☺ Problem with labels is it gives people an excuse to not take you seriously. So they play into the psychological disorder you're fighting. Aaanyway ...

As for CH, totally agree. Nightmare. A simple fishing excursion is a fight for your life half the time. I clear out the area around the fishing huts as I keep my caches there. Only 1 wolf usually to clear out. PV is a holiday by comparison.

Haha these forums are the only place you can discuss weather, mental health and a game at the same time. 

First of all, thank you, it's been a pleasure getting to know you too :). I know I didn't say it before but I hope you know your words have a lot of value. This is a community, everyone is equally important and everyone has the right to be heard. 

And unfortunately you're quite right with the label thing. 

Back to that dreaded region, the devs really ought to change the description, it's definitely an advanced region to me lol (or maybe I'm just bad at the game 🤔

I always make sure to go there with a gun so I can shoot any wolf that tries to attack me. It's a good place to get target practise in, lol

Edited by Catlover
  • Upvote 1