BR = Broken Railroad, NOT Blackrock!

Kranium

Typing the name of the region rather than abbreviating it removes all doubt and helps newer people understand what you're talking about.  But it seems people can't be bothered to type more letters than they feel are necessary these days.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

There is a way to make all the regional acronyms consistent by adding an R to the end of each to denote the word "Region."  Therefore:

Mystery Lake Region would become MLR instead of ML.  Mountain Town Region would become MTR, Forlorn Muskeg Region would become FMR, etc.

Timberwolf Mountain Region would become TMR instead of TWM (dropping the use of a second letter from what is a single word).

Broken Railroad Region would become BRR.

and Blackrock Region would become BR.

The long one, of course, would be Hushed River Valley Region, which would then have 4 letters (i.e. HRVR).  For brevity, it could break with the pattern and still be clearly understood by remaining simply HRV.

Edited by UpUpAway95

42 minutes ago, Old Hermit said:

Is this abbreviation obsession an USA thing?

I think i don't see much of this with other languages (at least the main Latin-derived languages).

I think it's a youth thing. Most of us older folk remember the art of pen and paper when most words were longer than one syllable! 😁

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Lohaan said:

This was a hot topic of discussion in our Facebook group. We settled on BRM. 

However, Blackrock Mountain is still not the official name of the zone.  The ingame maps all indicate the name as only "Blackrock" and only "Blackrock Region" displates when you enter and leave the zone.  Blackrock Mountain is merely a feature within the zone, just the same as Blackrock Penitentiary.  As a result, be aware that the use of BRM as an acronym will not necessarily be immediately clear to everyone.  There will still be some confusion also between BR standing for Broken Railroad and it standing for Blackrock Region.  Regarrdless, my preference is going to be to type the names out in full just for absolute clarity.  Conversely, Timberwolf Mountain Region does show the word "Mountain" as part of the region's official name on the in-game maps.  Hinterland, if they think it worth it, could clear up this issue by adding the word "Mountain" to the labeling of the region in game... however, I do think they have other higher priority issues.

Edited by UpUpAway95

On 12/14/2021 at 7:08 PM, Leeanda said:

I think it's a youth thing. Most of us older folk remember the art of pen and paper when most words were longer than one syllable! 😁

Well, nice to still be called young at my humble age of 42 - for my kids I'm ancient :D

That's what gaming communities do, every one I know, most typically MMO and RPG communities. I guess it's about being an "insider" vs. a newbie if you know all 244 abbrevations for stuff in the game. 

Uhm back to topic: technically @UpUpAway95 is right, the zone is called BlackRock Region. But this will also lead to confusion because of Broken RailRoad as Lohaan has pointed out. BRM seems to be the least confusing abbrevation, which is why I settled for that. Maybe Hinterland will change the name of the region ingame to Blackrock Mountain for sake of not breaking the internet even more ;)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lohaan said:

We call that BRR. 

Again, that's not universal.  On this site, the most common acronym for Broken Railroad has historically been BR, not BRR.  If using BRR for Broken Railroad Region, then Timberwolf Mountain Region should be TMR, not TWM (which is the most common acronym for it used on this site).  People can, of course, use whatever acronyms they want.  Nothing about them is "official" and what your Facebook Group agrees upon applies only there.  Again, just be aware that using BRM or BP may not be clear to some since the game doesn't label the maps in that manner and using BR creates confusion with Broken Railroad.  In my IRL life, BRM stands for either Business Resource Management or the British Royal Marine.  It's also a common abbreviation for "bedroom" on architectural plans.

On a side note, I also think Hinterland may have some labeling discrepancies in regards to The Keeper's Pass/Path, but I have to get back into that zone so I can check the maps.  I thought the zone map reads "The Keeper's Path" but upon leaving, I noticed that the game said I was "Leaving Keeper's Pass" or "Leaving The Keeper's Pass."  Since I wasn't paying specific attention to that detail, I will have to get back that way to confirm it exactly.

Edited by UpUpAway95

4 hours ago, ChillPlayer said:

Well, nice to still be called young at my humble age of 42 - for my kids I'm ancient :D

That's what gaming communities do, every one I know, most typically MMO and RPG communities. I guess it's about being an "insider" vs. a newbie if you know all 244 abbrevations for stuff in the game. 

Uhm back to topic: technically @UpUpAway95 is right, the zone is called BlackRock Region. But this will also lead to confusion because of Broken RailRoad as Lohaan has pointed out. BRM seems to be the least confusing abbrevation, which is why I settled for that. Maybe Hinterland will change the name of the region ingame to Blackrock Mountain for sake of not breaking the internet even more ;)

Lol!😁 But as far as kids are concerned  these days 30 is old.! 

58 minutes ago, Bimbobjoejr. said:

If most of the acronyms don't have the R for region, why not just label Blackrock as simply "B". Or is that too simple?

Sure, if you want to use it as your acronym for it, there is nothing that prevents it.  Whether or not it will be clear to others what you mean is the other question entirely.  Acronyms for Coastal Highway and  Crumbling Highway can also be confused, but it doesn't seem to be a concern now.  I'm not even sure how people here most commonly differentiate between the two.  Writing the words out in full is still probably the safest bet for clarity.  If it means I'm not an "insider" or marks my advanced years, so be it.

29 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Sure... but that won't prevent newcomers to the forums from using their own acronyms regardless.

Not sure that that applies to just newcomers ! Every one seems to have a different opinion! 

We could ask admin to vote for their favourite ?😁 After all its their baby ( so to speak).

6 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Not sure that that applies to just newcomers ! Every one seems to have a different opinion! 

We could ask admin to vote for their favourite ?😁 After all its their baby ( so to speak).

I have a question - If we vote on it, who is going to convince Hinterland to put up an "official" list of acceptable acronyms for this website and what is going to be the "punishment" for not using the "right" one?  I vote that we don't vote and just accept that people will use whatever acronym they want... or not.  If someone is confused, they can, if they wish, ask the poster to clarify their post... nicely, of course.

Edited by UpUpAway95