Blackrock prison in survival mode

isacsoyo

5 hours ago, isacsoyo said:

ive been wondering if when the blackrock region releases will the prison be destroyed like at the end of the episode 4 or will it be fully explorable i want to see what people think

Hinterland said blackrock region survival update will be end of the year.

I guess the prison won’t be fully explorable but ı don’t wanna see it destroyed. Maybe it wiil look like carter dam with some broken stuff and locked buildings.

Bring it on Hinterland! Can’t wait to play new region😬

• Upvote 1

I would expect that the prison won't be destroyed - in survival mode the actions of Will, Jace, and Mathis and company would not have occurred - though it might not be much more explorable or functional than what episode 4 allowed.  One might expect the prison to be pretty reasonable from an adventuring point of view, plenty to explore, and yet lacking from a truly operational one (which was how I viewed Ash Canyon), who would build this kind of place or how the heck could it function?  

I would expect that the steam tunnels will either be accessible or not but we won't be manipulating valves and such to unlock doors, etc.  Also, likely no suffocation pockets either in the tunnels or at the mine.  Those served a purpose in story mode but would be a serious and unnecessary nuisance in survival. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/26/2021 at 8:34 AM, Pınar51-06 said:

I guess the prison won’t be fully explorable but ı don’t wanna see it destroyed. Maybe it wiil look like carter dam with some broken stuff and locked buildings.

I would hope so! Wouldn't mind an easter egg like a section of the prison that only opens during aurora. Apart from that less is often more. Hopefully we get a great deal of, but not an excessive amount of, drawers to search and a limited amount of loot.

6 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

Also, likely no suffocation pockets either in the tunnels or at the mine.  Those served a purpose in story mode but would be a serious and unnecessary nuisance in survival. 

Hopefully you're right, or there will be lots of players dragging their fully explored overwintered survivors down to the mines just to do from suffocation, dying with a whimper after hundreds of days. Hinterland did transfer the funny electrocuting pits in the new CH mine to survival even though they don't fulfil any other purpose than harvesting seasoned survivors.

The suffocation bit would be fine even on Loper/Deadman if there was valuable oneoff item at the end of the mine... would certainly make the trip more stressing than the AC gold mine currently but maybe in a good way...

Anyhow, there was interesting bit from Raphael on twitter regarding the costs of each new Survival region. Apparently it's roughly around 300K , and that's when using mostly premade assets... Episodes are couple a million each

There are no dates yet but I'm expecting brief announcement next week, followed by release roughly around 6-8th of December. Either that or 13-15th. The reasons: they want the update out way before Christmas, so they can patch em out with initial hotfixes, and also early in the week so that they don't happen to release a broken version for a weekend. Bleak Inlet and Ash Canyon certainly followed this.

Edited by Mistral
  • Like 1

Having recently explored an abandoned prison/sanitarium complex, the main areas were very much repeat after repeat -- every main wing there had pretty much the same cell set-ups, same lunch areas, same office & security set-ups (I took pictures, as some scenes were amazingly similar to The Long Dark!).

Huge Kitchens and food storage areas, Chapel/Auditorium, Laundry, Gyms, Workshops, Control Rooms; all connected by secured tunnels. Outer areas almost exactly like they are in the game now (double fencing, a few guard stations, large open area in the middle)

I would think there could be a small explorable area; just one wing maybe, with access to the above type areas, keeping medical and the guard room, maybe part of the parapets. The rest would be sealed off with gates/fallen walls. I like the idea of a special item only found in Blackrock (guard weapon?) -- or perhaps a workshop similar to the Cannery? 

Looking forward to exploring the area in Survival Mode, no matter what!

On 11/26/2021 at 7:52 PM, UTC-10 said:

I would expect that the prison won't be destroyed - in survival mode the actions of Will, Jace, and Mathis and company would not have occurred - though it might not be much more explorable or functional than what episode 4 allowed.  One might expect the prison to be pretty reasonable from an adventuring point of view, plenty to explore, and yet lacking from a truly operational one (which was how I viewed Ash Canyon), who would build this kind of place or how the heck could it function?  

I would expect that the steam tunnels will either be accessible or not but we won't be manipulating valves and such to unlock doors, etc.  Also, likely no suffocation pockets either in the tunnels or at the mine.  Those served a purpose in story mode but would be a serious and unnecessary nuisance in survival. 

Couldn't have said it better myself.

12 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

So would I but can you imagine the "griefing" that would cause?!

Sorry.   Do you mean because not everyone could afford to buy it? 

If so I could understand that. I just think that htl have already given so much without actually asking for anything back. 

Whatever they offer as dlcs in the future will definitely  be on my shopping list! Even if it's not BlackRock.

On 11/27/2021 at 4:58 AM, Mistral said:

The suffocation bit would be fine even on Loper/Deadman if there was valuable oneoff item at the end of the mine... would certainly make the trip more stressing than the AC gold mine currently but maybe in a good way...

Anyhow, there was interesting bit from Raphael on twitter regarding the costs of each new Survival region. Apparently it's roughly around 300K , and that's when using mostly premade assets... Episodes are couple a million each

There are no dates yet but I'm expecting brief announcement next week, followed by release roughly around 6-8th of December. Either that or 13-15th. The reasons: they want the update out way before Christmas, so they can patch em out with initial hotfixes, and also early in the week so that they don't happen to release a broken version for a weekend. Bleak Inlet and Ash Canyon certainly followed this.

I can tell you right now that whatever unique loot they put behind suffocation points would have to be REALLY high end to justify the risk. Something like extra carrying capacity, or another weapon, simply wouldn't be worth it; not for players who are really advanced. It would need to be something like a piece of clothing with extremely high warmth/weight ratio, and 100% waterproof & wind protection. But that would almost cheat the challenge of the game. Maybe the end of the mine could be a really great shelter and have an outdoor egress but can only be reached initially through the really dangerous subterranean route. The shelter would need to be really great, including windows for light, and lots of storage, and a big stove, to justify the risk; but I could see late stage players wanting to use it as a base.

58 minutes ago, SpitztheGreat said:

I can tell you right now that whatever unique loot they put behind suffocation points would have to be REALLY high end to justify the risk. Something like extra carrying capacity, or another weapon, simply wouldn't be worth it; not for players who are really advanced. It would need to be something like a piece of clothing with extremely high warmth/weight ratio, and 100% waterproof & wind protection. But that would almost cheat the challenge of the game. Maybe the end of the mine could be a really great shelter and have an outdoor egress but can only be reached initially through the really dangerous subterranean route. The shelter would need to be really great, including windows for light, and lots of storage, and a big stove, to justify the risk; but I could see late stage players wanting to use it as a base.

I don't know, obviously if you were on day 100 on Deadman or day 2000 on interloper you probably wouldn't risk it unless the bounty was magically magnificient as you say... but if you are, say on day 10, and close to Blackrock, why not, how much is there to lose? I mean you can do Summit on day 2 and Gold Mine on day 3 or whatever so why not the poison mine too, it's not like getting around Blackrock seems too much of a problem. At least not on story mode... maybe if the Timbers are there and the temperatures are Bleak-level it becomes more of a nuisance but right now, ehh... even the "guarding" bear outside the mine can be bypassed by the alternative route

Edited by Mistral

On 11/29/2021 at 10:53 AM, Leeanda said:

Do you mean because not everyone could afford to buy it? 

No.  I'm referring to people who have expressed frustration over the lengthy release of the episodes and how when they bought the game a long time ago, they were entitled to those episodes promised.

So Blackrock prison will be (I am still downloading the update) impacted by Will, Jace, and Mathis and company, I guess can't be helped 😓.  That running steam generator in the steam tunnels would have been a bit much as well as a functional (what looked like a kind of hydro) power plant.  I'd hope that Jace left the power breakers in usable condition 😐

I won't be going there soon as I am now in Ash Canyon - just kind of got there - and have to get to the upper level (Miner's Folly and the Gold Mine) and explore the region thoroughly.  Nice to know Blackrock can be accessed from two regions that are actually rather close together, relatively.  Have fun everyone. 

• Upvote 1

The survival mode prison is almost exactly as I pictured it (in my previous post) but I find myself slightly disappointed in the prison and the Blackrock area as a whole. It's a nice little update, and I am still in the process of exploring, but I think I was overly optimistic. It seems like everything is a "slog" of back and forth with not a lot of reward right now. Including Steam Tunnels, Dam & various scattered buildings & caves.

Maybe I just had a bad luck loot "roll"; but test-playing (on Pilgrim) for over 2 weeks in game time & no lantern, no rifle, a revolver with less than 15 rounds found, 2 deer/1 rabbit, no fishing, just-adequate clothing and total failure in getting to the mine (the ropes are killer) it's not holding my interest.  Even seeing an elusive moose today was just depressing, what with one arrowhead and nothing else to bring it down.

I'm not sure I want to risk sending my saved seasoned explorer (currently happily ensconced at Trappers Cabin) to this region. Not for a ballistic vest I likely won't use or carry from area to area & possible access to a workshop (if I don't die on the ropes or in the mine). *sigh*

Perhaps if I focus on finding the Prepper's Cache? ...

The vest is in the Prison, no keys needed just have to navigate your way there.  The real treasure I’ve found so far are all the gun powder and powder making supplies and of course the batteries.  There’s enough of those items to fully reload every shell and casing in the game, probably twice.  

So far it seems like a fat land, full of promise.  I took my 50 day survivor there (Stalker) and have been having a fine time!  

Killed me a bear right there in the prison yard.  They do say when you go to prison you should beat up the biggest guy first!  Lots and lots of meat, and with level five cooking it’s all good, bra!

There were about seven wolves in the area but they weren’t tough, and I could get some sleep without all that howling.  

My next project is getting into the keypad door I’m told is to the reloading bench area and seems to be a fine place to base.  So I’m headed to the mine.  Almost there by what I remember from the story mode.  I’m a little concerned about the  gas-filled mine.  It took me a couple of deaths to figure out the trick on story mode, but I don’t have saves on survival.  Guess I’ll have to wing it!  

if you haven’t experienced at least five or six tragic deaths with 200+ day survivors, you just don’t have the right attitude to truly appreciate the game yet!

Oh Bean -- I've had my share of unfortunate deaths. I still cannot traverse over the railway trestle without my heart pounding! And Forlorn Muskeg contains my grave in more than one deceptive icy spot!

I did finally get the code from the mine (Thanks to coffee! and an unusually well co-ordinated dash thru the gas). Settled into a rhythm at the prison and have been snaring rabbits, bagged a couple more deer with my single arrow that I keep remaking and also got some wolf pelts, Made deerskin pants, rabbit hat and sharpened all my tools. Still need better boots. Food is iffy at times, but I have lots of cattails.

Currently have been wandering about trying to find the prepper's cache, but no luck so far. Found the Polaroid today, but am still managing to get turned around and lost, and barely made it back to the guard room in a raging blizzard!  Whew!

• Upvote 1

On 12/12/2021 at 3:20 PM, twyn1 said:

Currently have been wandering about trying to find the prepper's cache,

I found mine on the top of a mountainous hill across the road from the foreman’s trailer.   Had a lot of good stuff!  

Food is plentiful.  Killed and cooked a bear at the prison, and did the same to a moose at the lake.  Lots of deer and rabbits around.  I think I’m close to full exploration of this zone.   

I did find the Prepper's Cache in my area, finally. It was by the Cliff Cave. Small one-room, but it had some food and drinks, enough for a few days cushion.

No bear in the Prison yard for me, just a couple wolves (one of which kept getting stuck in a corner; creating an easy, but rather cowardly shot with my one arrow!). A bear was wandering around Cliff Cave in my version.

Made myself deer-skin boots & a wolf-skin coat, then gathered what I could comfortably carry and headed out to Pleasant Valley.

Interesting new region to explore, with some possible base-worthy spots. The workshop is great ... but Blackrock, as a whole, will probably never be a favorite for me.

Edited by twyn1
Grammar