Does quartering reduce the amount of meat from a carcass?

Lycrist

Hi,

so I usually quarter dead animals to process later in a safe and warm enviroment.

According to the wiki I should get 5 Quarters (lol) of deer but the last deer only gave me 3. Now I am wondering if some of the meat got stuck in a tree that it was close to or if quartering in general wastes meat.

Any help understand the mechanics? 🙂

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Lycrist said:

Hi,

so I usually quarter dead animals to process later in a safe and warm enviroment.

According to the wiki I should get 5 Quarters (lol) of deer but the last deer only gave me 3. Now I am wondering if some of the meat got stuck in a tree that it was close to or if quartering in general wastes meat.

Any help understand the mechanics? 🙂

Ok. Did some more testing. And no. It's the same amount. However apparently one of the bags ended up in a tree. 🙁

11 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes 18 said:

Dismembering an animal causes you to carry the same amount of meat more heavily. (At least it was when I did it) I shot a bear, and when I smashed it up and brought it home, I saw it weighed 10 kilos. That's ridiculous. 

I observed the weight of meat bags is two times of what you can harvest from them.

Quartering was the mechanic that Hinterland produced to answer the suggestion "I want to move the carcass" in a way that was consistent (as best I can tell) with the existing game mechanics for carrying things. 

Presumably, the bags consisting of meat and bones rather than just meat was likely the devs forestalling any "the bag only contains meat why do I have to harvest it?" complaints.  They also probably thought it was realistic since quartering was not going to be harvesting.  The hide and guts being then available for picking up, after quartering, was likely their concession to not making things too complex.  There would be a point at which the costs of quartering could be made too high for it to be a viable game mechanic. 

The number of bags will be variable as the limiting factor would be that, at worst, a single bag must be something a character, without buffs, can actually be expected to pick up and move with. 

On 4/17/2021 at 12:58 PM, peteloud said:

Don't bother quartering.  It is a waste of time and energy.

Just harvest the meat then drop it and collect it when convenient

that’s only when you play the easy levels. In interloper you would be stupid not to quarter. 

Edited by Schrodingers Box

7 hours ago, RegentRelic said:

I play interloper all the time and hardly ever quarter meat.

Well when you get good at it you will understand.  Either that or you don’t play interloper. 
  But cutting a whole bear or moose on interloper in the open is poor decision making. The weather change alone makes it impossible.   
  what do you do when you are 1 hour in and a blizzard starts up?  I simply finish the quartering taking a tiny bit of cold damage and then safely transfer the catch to the nearest shelter in as little as 3 trips not using any additional resources. it’s just simple math- in less time than it takes to get a hide and two guts, I get the whole animal. 

Edited by Schrodingers Box

7 hours ago, Schrodingers Box said:

what do you do when you are 1 hour in and a blizzard starts up?  

Use the opportunity to safely transport meat. Get back to my cave and cook up what I have, come back for the rest later. Also depending on how hot you managed to get that fire you might be able to just take your clothes off (prevent blizzard damage) then carve off 1kg of meat or 1 gut at a time. If your fire is windblown it gets capped at 9 minutes, but only takes 6 to carve out a 1kg steak at level 5. Cut one steak off, toss a stick in, cut another steak off, toss another stick in.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ajb1978 said:

Use the opportunity to safely transport meat. Get back to my cave and cook up what I have, come back for the rest later. Also depending on how hot you managed to get that fire you might be able to just take your clothes off (prevent blizzard damage) then carve off 1kg of meat or 1 gut at a time. If your fire is windblown it gets capped at 9 minutes, but only takes 6 to carve out a 1kg steak at level 5. Cut one steak off, toss a stick in, cut another steak off, toss another stick in.

Exactly what I've been trying to tell @Schrodingers Box on the other thread currently running on this same topic.

The answer to the original question of does quartering reduce the amount of meat is: not enough to matter.  I tracked this for a long time, comparing the amount of meat available before quartering and the amount in all of the bags afterward (bear, moose, deer, and wolf).  It was always within .2 kg for bear and moose and .1 kg for deer and wolves (sometimes more with quartering, but often less), so I'm guessing the difference is in rounding or something to that effect.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Schrodingers Box said:

Can’t change math though. When the math adds up you either understand it or you don’t. 

Depends primarily on skill level. Once you've gotten everything to level 5, blizzards are actually something of a blessing.

• Upvote 1