Seeking locations for maul-free hunting

straffin

I've heard of magical spots where you can take pot-shots at bears and wolves all-the-live-long-(dark)-day and not have to budge. I can't seem to find any, instead finding myself trapped on a rock as the bear slowly walks up and mauls me after I missed a critical shot. Anyone care to post an in-game screen-shot of where your magical spots are (particularly outside the Bear Cave on Bear Creek in CH)? 🙂

These:

latest?cb=20170806034020

To climb on. It's usually a fallen tree that you can climb, but a bear/wolf can't. It is probably due to geometry, because in real life, this isn't an obstacle to them.

Anyways, you climb, aim and take a shot, although if it isn't deadly shot, bear will run off, same for other animals. From my experience, only moose stays very close to where he is patrolling, so in a sense, he is easier to kill vs other animals, because they usually take off and run far.

The reason they run away is because they can't get to you, so they don't "see" where danger came from and run away vs attacking.

Edited by Stinky socks
Added photo
  • Upvote 1

Even if you climb on a fallen tree, you have reasons to be wary. If you're at too low a height the predator will sometimes be able to pull you down and maul you. Also, there seem to be non-safe fallen trees, at least the fallen tree close to Deer clearing in TWM where a wolf followed me up the tree trunk. 

Also, when you find yourself cornered on a rock, you'll be better off once you explore which seemingly undescendable cliffs actually constitute safe ledges. 

• Upvote 1

Take shots from any place you have to crouch to be in (under fallen trees), wolves and bears cannot reach you in those spots. Also if you have your back to a cliff wall, boulders, or structure then you can make a fire or 2 in front of yourself and shoot from there. Bears and wolves won’t cross a fire but will go around if possible.  Also you can use a fire with a fallen tree, fallen tree in front of you and fire behind you or vice versa. 

Edited by Cranky
  • Upvote 1

So, funny story...

In my current Stalker run, I was trying to get my cooking skill up to 5 as fast as possible so I could start eating the predators I'd been protecting myself from. I was doing this by cutting everything into 0.5kg pieces and cooking it all, whether I' could safely eat it or not (therefore leaving behind lots of cooked wolf all over the place). I had finally reached Cooking Level 5 while out on the ice in Coastal Highway near the Waterfront Cottages. I'd been carving up and cooking a deer I'd shot right there on the ice (with a one-shot kill arrow). RIGHT as the magical woosh-tone sounds to announce my reaching Level 5, a BEAR starts wandering towards me from the other side of my fire. Unaware of just how much of a bear-deterrent fire is NOT, I stood up from my cooking, nocked an arrow, pulled back and let fly...right into the bears noggin, dropping him very close to the fire I was using to cook the deer. I believe it was late enough in-game that I came back to butcher the bear the next morning, but that bear was my Cooking Level 5 celebration meal (and many other meals thereafter).

• Like 3

On 2/20/2021 at 4:37 AM, straffin said:

I've heard of magical spots where you can take pot-shots at bears and wolves all-the-live-long-(dark)-day and not have to budge. I can't seem to find any, instead finding myself trapped on a rock as the bear slowly walks up and mauls me after I missed a critical shot. Anyone care to post an in-game screen-shot of where your magical spots are (particularly outside the Bear Cave on Bear Creek in CH)? 🙂

At the creek I used a fire to protect me at the narrow spot. Another time I got the bear he was at the fishing huts and I just stepped outside. He panicked (probably because I was on the "porch") and when he came back I shot him.

In general I use spots where bears cant go. Inside a car (obviously) but not on trees as there seem to be some that the can get on (happened to me at the unnamend pond). What worked pretty well in my current run is to "scrape boulders" lacking a better term. You pick a boulder or rock wall that has its structure sloping upwards so your character can move upwards on that wall. Does not need to be far. 1-2 meters (along the relief - not height) usually is enough. If I shoot from there they always run away. I assume as they can't come to me.

• Upvote 1

Fallen trees used to be safe to shoot from, but changed with an update.  I've found you can still use them though - I will crouch-walk onto one of the smaller branches off the main trunk of the fallen tree.  This seems to be safe in my experience.

The same goes for rocks.  My modified rock-approach is find part of the rock that you have to drop down to (after you shoot), but is still not accessible if you attempt to walk normally to it.

Hope that helps.

• Upvote 1

Dirty cattails!!! I can never get used to charging bear! I hit him with distress pistol(first time ever attempt) and he started running scared, but toward me, I dodged and he ran past. Since I had to safe place, I pull out rifle because fastest reload+good stopping power. At that point he turns around and starts charging, for real this time. I shoot first round and then second and he collapses. Heart rate like 150bpm!😬😬😬screen_fcc0e400-9e6d-4271-8cf9-a38136e93fd8_hi.thumb.jpg.185fa5ab53189f0dfc127f5867dd75ef.jpg

those who hunt bears on regular basis get my full respect! Now I have like 80 pounds of meat and bear hide to fix my bedroll when it gets beat up. Also who knows how many gut!! Fishing house will stink for months!!😂

• Like 2

If you leave the cannery, where the milling station is and follow the coast, long big bridge will be to your left, ocean to your right. You keep following the coast and you will come to a place similar to fishing huts in coastal highway. It is located between broken lighthouse and that long bridge basically.(closer to the bridge though).

Map location in spoiler in case you don't want to know the map.

20210227_121839.thumb.jpg.142058a200ee5f5502e2d32ecca93b4b.jpg

• Upvote 1

Bears are easy if you use the campfire trick.  Basically make a fire and then shoot them, then hide behind the fire.  The bear stops and waits giving you time to shoot it again.  Most of the time my second shot (to the face) puts him down, but sometimes he runs off bawling.   If he runs, chase after!  He won’t go far and you can drop him with another shot.