Seeking locations for maul-free hunting

straffin

I mean, the player can effectively hunt just about anywhere if they are paying close attention.  No trees, campfires, or particular vantage points needed. :)

The player can get surprisingly close to wolves just by couching... wait for them to stop and howl, and take a well aimed shot.
Or... get the wolves attention, then aim in and take a shot as they are charging (this can be a dodgy proposition though).  I think it's better to take a well aimed shot from a safe distance (this way it doesn't matter if it's a rifle, revolver, or bow - all are doable).

The player can get a bear's attention easily enough, and then use themselves as a lure to get the bear to a more ideal spot.  If the player takes a shot from our side their normal detection range, they will usually flee.  If the player takes a shot from within detection range, there is usually enough time to get off a second shot if the player's aim is true.  One can also duck into a structure to get a way if need be... but I find that's not necessary if one is careful.

Moose, for moose I find that it's best to just shoot from outside it's detection range.  After each shot it will flee for a short distance... then close with to take another shot.  ***Once on a very lucky shot, I dropped a charging moose with a revolver shot to the head.  To be clear this was a very lucky crit, so I don't recommend this technique;  just wanted to mention that it was possible.

Timber Wolves, these ones can be tricky... but if the player is willing and able to be a little wily, they aren't a problem.  I find that the best thing to do is keep a sharp eye out.  The idea is to spot them first and watch their movements for a while, and plan the best way to whittle down the pack before they spot you.  More often than not, the player will see that one kind of breaks off on there own a little bit, with a well aimed shot the player can take down the straggler(s) without aggro'ing the pack.  Once the pack is down to two, the player can get spotted without much trouble.  They stop to howl, and the player can take that opportunity to put one down.  Once the pack is down to one lone timber wolf, it's doesn't feel much like fighting.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
There are methods that work well for me, hopefully they will be helpful to you too.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

At the Coastal Highway fishing camp I cross the road and walk to the top of the rocky promontory overlooking the fishing camp and road.  Shimmy down two ledges, stand up to get the bear to walk toward you along the road and finally crouch to take your bow shot.  I have one shot bears twice at that location.  Two other times the arrow did not kill instantly; the bear charged to the base of the rocky cliff and wailed until it died.  Shimmy down from the ledge to the roadway and harvest away.  Now I look for similar ledges on cliff faces that you cannot walk to but can shimmy down to.

Edited by Blizzard Walker

Go on Riken, DP, and wait for the bear coming across the ice.  You can shoot the bear from the ship in perfect safety.  You can then cook the meat, out of the wind, on the wing of the bridge.

While waiting for the bear to walk over you can make a few arrowheads.  Take a stock of coal with you and take a hacksaw.  You probably have to take a heavy hammer with you too.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies, all! I've since learned the magic of goating partway down a rock/boulder face (risking a sprained ankle) and shooting from there. Finished off a moose in ML after he charged, ran up around the back of the rock I was hanging off, got to the top, and looked down at me, yelling, but couldn't reach me.

😜  >>>------->   ɯ-O_O-ɯ

That, and certain porch railings sill appear to be effectively force-fields.  

Thank again!

Edited by straffin

Maul/Stomp free hunting is easy.  Like ridiculously easy.  It doesn’t require terrain or goating.  

Bear:  build a campfire in the bear’s path and shoot from behind it. Bear will stop charging once near the fire and you can shoot it again.  Dead bear if you’re a good shot.  Otherwise it runs off and you can track it.

Moose:  somewhat trickier, but only on Loper. For Stalker with guns it’s super easy.  
If using a rifle: easiest method, just keep shooting at the thing. Every time you hit it, it goes through a short animation of bellowing and thrashing about.  That animation lasts just long enough to cycle your bolt so you can shoot him again.  Repeat until he drops.  
If you have access to a pistol: Use the bow to hit him hard with your first shot, then switch to the pistol and fire one shot ... anywhere.  Pistol shots break the charge.  Now equip your bow and go track him down for another arrow shot.  Repeat until he drops. 

on Loper you have to make some good arrow shots. You can either stand your ground and hit him with two or three well placed arrows and hope for the best, or use terrain to escape the charge.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...