Do the wolves vary in difficulty by region?

Adamo

Hi I’m new to this, random started in PM then had some great times over in ‘that one with the plane crash on mountain top’ and wolves were pesky yes. But now I’ve moved to coastal highway via the mine and the three wolves I’ve fought there so far seem to be much harder to finish

Sort of. Timberwolves are more aggressive, a bit stronger, and have a pack moral. They are only in 2 regions I believe, bleak inlet and Timberwolf Mountain. But aside from that no, coastal hwy just has an exponential amount  of wolves. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ps4Methuselah said:

As far as i know, there are 3 different kinds of wolves...the alpha's, which are the biggest & most aggressive. They cause the most damage. Then you have the regular wolves that are 70% of the wolves we see & then there are the runts. They are the light weights that run from you when they see you. This is from back in the day, so things may have changed now. You can tell when you harvest them...the bigger they are, the badder they were.

Also, as Cranky pointed out,...timberwolves are a breed apart. Use blue flares on them...never let them surround you...keep your back to something, or take to the high ground.

I even saw one guy use a snow shelter to take out a pack of Timberwolves on youtube...but i never tried that myself so use that one with caution.

Good luck.:coffee:

That’s not true at all and never was. all wolves have an RNG on the ENCOUNTER for whether they will stalk or run and any wolf can change that behavior as a new RNG is assigned for each encounter with that wolf. 
  you also get an RNG for physical damage, clothing damage, and sometikes gear damage (e.g. bedroll). Again- specific for the ENCOUNTER not the wolf. 
  this does NOT vary by region. 
  The only difference is timberwolves but OP didn’t ask about that.   Wolves do not vary in difficulty respective to region. Regions vary in difficulty respective to wolves. 
 Please, Let’s keep it accurate folks. If you don’t know, it’s better to not answer and learn. That’s wisdom to embrace because that way we won’t dilute this awesome resource with false information. 

Edited by Schrodingers Box

It sounds like you may be playing in Wintermute and, yes, within the direction of the story, I think the wolves do increase in difficulty once you leave the area of the plane crash... although I honesgtly haven't played through Wintermute enough times to test it.  It would make sense for them to have done something like that though; and we know that the animal AI in Wintermute is different in several respects than in Survival mode (the behavior of the old bear, for example, is unique).

ETA:  Oops, I originally misread your post and now realize you're refering to the plane crash on TWM.  In that case; no, I don't think there is a difference in wolf AI from region to region.  It may have been due to other variables like wind direction, terrain, your smilliness, and the proximity of other animals that can distract the wolves (e.g. rabbits and deer).  As another poster also mentioned above, there is a RNG component to be considered as well.

Edited by UpUpAway95

8 hours ago, Adamo said:

Hi I’m on voyageur and wearing a wolf coat. Just seems that the struggles so far in PH have been much more drawn out and damaging. Maybe it’s just chance so far of course. 

Struggles are also influenced by your current Tiredness, and the tool/weapon selected for the struggle. Did u observe it on those different moments?

Yeah max with the blue fully fed buffer and the knife about 70% I normally walk calmly and get followed for ages t this time they’re attacking while I’m walking away and not aiming. Not carrying more smells than usual either , I think I need to have more struggles to see a proper pattern but it is surprising 

On 2/9/2021 at 12:43 AM, Cranky said:

Sort of. Timberwolves are more aggressive, a bit stronger, and have a pack moral. They are only in 2 regions I believe, bleak inlet and Timberwolf Mountain. But aside from that no, coastal hwy just has an exponential amount  of wolves. 

There are no Timberwolves at TWM sadly

Edited by Mistral

5 hours ago, Mistral said:

Thank you for that correction. Last and only time I was there I died within minutes of entering the region.... I let stupid happen. Tho in my fleeting moments there I didn’t see any twolves, I assumed they were in it due to the name. 

7 hours ago, Cranky said:

Thank you for that correction. Last and only time I was there I died within minutes of entering the region.... I let stupid happen. Tho in my fleeting moments there I didn’t see any twolves, I assumed they were in it due to the name. 

A fair assumption. After all there is a lake in Mystery lake, a coast in Coastal highway, a mountain in Timberwolf mountain, a broken railroad in Broken Railroad etc. No timberwolves in Timberwolf mountain being the exception, though some folks sometimes mistake Pleasant Valley for an unpleasant place. 

I have seen quite a discussion on wolves. Wanted to weight in with the information we know of wolf behaviour over the years.

If we dont mention Timberwolves for a bit, the regular wolves all have various strenght, it is impossible to determine if this strenght is their own of if it simply differs each encounter. What we know is that there is a % difference to the size of all animals - from rabbits to wolves and to bears. Some people theorize that the "bigger" animals have more meat on them if you kill them, but this is yet again unclear - people who tested this report that this seems to be a hoax. That it does not matter how big the animal is to how much meat it has on - it appears to be simply an aesthetic feature, to make the wildlife appear more varied despite using the same models. 

However, because the difference in size can be up to 10% by eye estimate, it does appear as though there are sometimes "alpha" wolves which are bigger, and for that reason (myself included) in the past we thought there were different types of the animal. It appears we were wrong and the appearance is just aesthetic, although I cannot claim so with a perfect confidence. The very nature of the TLD struggle mechanics makes it impossible to do tests that would be conclusive and reliable. 

Here is what we do know: Most people think that the most important in struggle is the clothing protection level you carry. This is partially true for the damage you take. Also, the lenght of a struggle comes from what weapon you use to defend yourself. The most important thing in a wolf struggle overal is the level of condition of the player. Are they too tired? This drops effectiveness by a lot. Are they warm, or freezing instead? Are they encoumbered? Are they full or starving? How click are they clicking in a struggle? Here we dont know for sure - some players reported that clicking as fast as they could works the best for them, others claim that it is about clicking fast, but also consistently - that consistent fast clicking indicates how calm you are and helps you scare the wolf away faster. However, there are many different factors in play when you are struggling against wolves.

This is probably where answer to your question lies, OP. I dont believe, based on the discussion on this topic with other forumers over the years, that there is a significant difference between wolves. There is certainly no difference in strenght in other regions. There is possibly a small varience of their strenght, in either the animal or the struggle itself. Most likely, however, the reason why you struggle with them more in these regions comes from the clothes you carry, how much gear you have, and what the condition of your survival needs are at the time of the struggle. Also, which weapon you are using to defend yourself (and, in case of a revolver, what your skill in Revolver is).

17 hours ago, Mistral said:

I was curious about that. I have not played TLD too much since Hesitant prospect came out, so I was entertaining the idea there might be a pack of them on TWM that I have simply not encountered yet, but yea, from my experience, just plain wolves there. Bleak inlet is the only spot I know of Timberwolves outside the Story mode.

7 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

I have seen quite a discussion on wolves. Wanted to weight in with the information we know of wolf behaviour over the years.

If we dont mention Timberwolves for a bit, the regular wolves all have various strenght, it is impossible to determine if this strenght is their own of if it simply differs each encounter. What we know is that there is a % difference to the size of all animals - from rabbits to wolves and to bears. Some people theorize that the "bigger" animals have more meat on them if you kill them, but this is yet again unclear - people who tested this report that this seems to be a hoax. That it does not matter how big the animal is to how much meat it has on - it appears to be simply an aesthetic feature, to make the wildlife appear more varied despite using the same models. 

However, because the difference in size can be up to 10% by eye estimate, it does appear as though there are sometimes "alpha" wolves which are bigger, and for that reason (myself included) in the past we thought there were different types of the animal. It appears we were wrong and the appearance is just aesthetic, although I cannot claim so with a perfect confidence. The very nature of the TLD struggle mechanics makes it impossible to do tests that would be conclusive and reliable. 

Here is what we do know: Most people think that the most important in struggle is the clothing protection level you carry. This is partially true for the damage you take. Also, the lenght of a struggle comes from what weapon you use to defend yourself. The most important thing in a wolf struggle overal is the level of condition of the player. Are they too tired? This drops effectiveness by a lot. Are they warm, or freezing instead? Are they encoumbered? Are they full or starving? How click are they clicking in a struggle? Here we dont know for sure - some players reported that clicking as fast as they could works the best for them, others claim that it is about clicking fast, but also consistently - that consistent fast clicking indicates how calm you are and helps you scare the wolf away faster. However, there are many different factors in play when you are struggling against wolves.

This is probably where answer to your question lies, OP. I dont believe, based on the discussion on this topic with other forumers over the years, that there is a significant difference between wolves. There is certainly no difference in strenght in other regions. There is possibly a small varience of their strenght, in either the animal or the struggle itself. Most likely, however, the reason why you struggle with them more in these regions comes from the clothes you carry, how much gear you have, and what the condition of your survival needs are at the time of the struggle. Also, which weapon you are using to defend yourself (and, in case of a revolver, what your skill in Revolver is).

I was curious about that. I have not played TLD too much since Hesitant prospect came out, so I was entertaining the idea there might be a pack of them on TWM that I have simply not encountered yet, but yea, from my experience, just plain wolves there. Bleak inlet is the only spot I know of Timberwolves outside the Story mode.

Yep so many variables, I would like to know more about ideal struggle clicking really and even that seems to be up for interpretation