Rifle Vs revolver

Sus-wolf

I am playing on Voyager and moving through coastal highway and Desolation point. I left my rifle behind (how isn’t important) and I began wondering the difference between traveling through wolf territory with a rifle vs a revolver. 
obviously a rifle is much better but is it really “better enough” to make it worth carrying vs a revolver? I have my own opinions and would obviously love to have a rifle but wanted to know other peoples’ thoughts.

In my opinion I'd rather have the rifle because habit, it does more damage and I've only used the revolver on rabbits, It's much faster than stones and you don't have to worry about them getting up and running away. One plus about the revolver is that it is much lighter than the rifle(3.3 lbs) so if you're a pack rat like I am and have to have all the things then you won't be as encumbered if you were carrying the rifle

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

If you're going hunting, carry the rifle with you.

But six-somethings are a better option if you're not going to hunt. Although you can make a hunt with the six-ways, but it'll take too long. 

I once hunted a bear with six-somethings. The bear was running long. 

The rifle is the definitive solution for hunting and is a friend that must always be kept. Six-year-olds are the same way.

When I'm playing with the rifle and revolver turned on (Custom game), I generally only carry the rifle when I'm planning on hunting the larger game.  For wolves, I prefer the revolver over the rifle since it's relatively light and I usually have a lot more ammunition for it than the rifle.  Also, in voyageur, there are usually ample rifle spawns in the game such that you don't have to worry too much about carrying a single rifle across the map.  When playing with a high baseline resource availability (which is the voyageur setting), I tend to use the rifles the zones where I find them and then leave them there when I leave the zone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sus-wolf said:

I am playing on Voyager and moving through coastal highway and Desolation point. I left my rifle behind (how isn’t important) and I began wondering the difference between traveling through wolf territory with a rifle vs a revolver. 
obviously a rifle is much better but is it really “better enough” to make it worth carrying vs a revolver? I have my own opinions and would obviously love to have a rifle but wanted to know other peoples’ thoughts.

Many would make the argument that the rifle is better in most situations, but for the scenario that you describe, hands down the revolver is the better tool.
consider the differences in carry weight.  Rifle 4 kilos vs. Revolver 1.5 kilos
consider rate of fire, rifle vs. revolver.   Rifle fires very slowly and methodically requiring you to cycle the bolt to load each cartridge.  Revolver fires quickly 
requiring substantially less time in putting rounds on target.
consider aiming mechanic, rifle when aimed has built in sway mechanic and is harder to keep on target when wolf is charging vs. revolver which is easily and quickly aimed and seems to be affected much less by sway than the rifle.
both weapons though seem to be more effective in a crouched position for purposes in aiming imho
and lastly the revolver also makes a good melee weapon in case the wolf does get in too close and manages to attack you.  You cant use the rifle as a bludgeon but you can use the revolver.  go figure

hope that helps, let me know what you think.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, piddy3825 said:

Many would make the argument that the rifle is better in most situations, but for the scenario that you describe, hands down the revolver is the better tool.
consider the differences in carry weight.  Rifle 4 kilos vs. Revolver 1.5 kilos
consider rate of fire, rifle vs. revolver.   Rifle fires very slowly and methodically requiring you to cycle the bolt to load each cartridge.  Revolver fires quickly 
requiring substantially less time in putting rounds on target.
consider aiming mechanic, rifle when aimed has built in sway mechanic and is harder to keep on target when wolf is charging vs. revolver which is easily and quickly aimed and seems to be affected much less by sway than the rifle.
both weapons though seem to be more effective in a crouched position for purposes in aiming imho
and lastly the revolver also makes a good melee weapon in case the wolf does get in too close and manages to attack you.  You cant use the rifle as a bludgeon but you can use the revolver.  go figure

hope that helps, let me know what you think.

I agree. I’ve gone on long distance trips with rifles and its not always practical. When hunting I always carry a rifle but try to use the bow as much as possible.

• Upvote 1

The best load out is a bow at level five archery and the revolver.  
Rifle is clearly superior to revolver both in range and stopping power. But revolver is great for scaring wolves away and/or wounding them.  Rifle also is much better for stopping a charging wolf.  Even at low skill, you can usually walk backwards as you aim and shoot the wolf dead.  Rifle is the best overall weapon.  But the ammo is very limited!  

• Like 1

I generally only use the rifle for hunting bear and moose. Sometimes I use it for deer but I find that if I hit them with the revolver (which is not to difficult) then they will bleed out and I’ll I got to do if follow the blood trail or look for birds over head. When not hunting I keep it at whatever region base I’m using to leave it in a central spot. 

The revolver I find to be a better daily carry option. It will kill or scare deer and wolves, weighs significantly less, ammunition seems to be much more abundant, and can be used well in a struggle. 

• Like 2

It's best to leave the rifle to American gun-boys unless you come across one in the early days when other weapons are not found or developed.  The rifle is heavy.  The bow is a more useful weapon as it does lots of damage and weighs very little.  The snag with the bow is that you can't use it when crouched until skill level 5, which I think HTL should change.  The revolver is probably more effective at killing deer than most people realise, and a lot lighter than the rifle.

• Upvote 1

On 1/15/2021 at 8:26 PM, Sus-wolf said:

If you have a good grasp of how the bears in a region patrol and know where to anticipate them I recommend sticking to the revolver. Stay nimble and become a wolf headshot master. Apart from that, plenty of good points made above. 

• Like 1

I think it's really just up you and your playstyle.  A player can keep themselves safe from wolves by carrying just a few rocks in their pocket.  it even works fine for a player to carry no weapon at all, just as long as we pay close attention to our surroundings (evade and void is very effective too :)). 

Point being, any of the available weapons would work... but as for which one is "best," I'd say that's entirely subjective.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Since the OP asked rifle vs. revolver only, I'll keep it to those two options only.

Rifle for hunting bear & moose, maybe deer.

Revolver for everything else. It's lighter & fires faster, more ammo kicking around. It's just better for daily carry when you aren't looking to bag a bear/moose.

If you wanna talk about other options, then it really comes down to play style, experience, difficulty level, etc. so it'll be different for everyone.

When I'm working out of an established base, I generally only take the rifle along for dedicated hunting trips.  If I'm out picking up firewood or fishing or otherwise messing around, I don't want the weight and consequent fatigue drain. 

If I'm in nomad mode, I do carry a hunting weapon, though I'm trying to make that the bow these days, both to save weight and to force myself to get better at using it.  I am a laughably terrible shot with a bow, though, so sometimes I end up lugging around the rifle instead, at least until I can work my archery up to level 5 and get some reliable hits on stags. 

I really hate spending a .303 shell on a wolf, and will only grudgingly use a revolver shell if I'm out of options. 

• Upvote 1