Your favorite "long-term" survival spot?

hozz1235

2 minutes ago, Screenshot Pilgrim said:

Well, there will no doubt be many wolves there on stalker.  Even on other settings they are wide spread.  I like how the forests in HRV tend to be denser than other regions.  Wolves can surprise you sometimes, but it goes both ways.  I've been able to get more than a few wolves as they hunt deer and rabbits, which are also plentiful.   

ps.  That's interesting about the southern part of the Muskeg.  Hadn't really thought about staying there long, but the openness, especially on clear days, is intriguing.  It's also quite worth it to learn the safe paths across the middle.  The fog and the bears can often make that a fun time.

That's part of the reason i have started to not like ML as much, too many hills and trees.

I used to hate Muskeg because of the weak ice, but after spending in it, i can navigate it in the fog pretty well and decently in a blizzard as well. Start to recognizing the safe paths, specific rocks, and fallen trees.

• Upvote 1

If its not burnt out my preferred long term camp is the cabin with a porch to the left of Quonset as you look to the sea.  Its got a warm bed, ample storage, a fire place, a porch for outdoor cooking, good sight lines, a nearby workbench, bear spawn and moose spawn.  There's a good deer spawn nearby as well. Ice fishing, ample wood,, etc.  If that's burnt out then either the cabin with a porch near the sea at Quonset or the cabin with a porch in the Waterfront Cabin area.  If all of them are burnt down, then the worker cabin in Bleak Inlet (after a bunch of sulking).

3 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Don't get me wrong, I love some of the locations everyone has pointed out (esp. HRV) but I think without a workbench, LONG term survival could be difficult.

When I've done long term stays in HRV and need a work bench, I'll typically hop back over to MT to the work bench in the trailers. It's a bit of a pain, but doable.

13 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Don't get me wrong, I love some of the locations everyone has pointed out (esp. HRV) but I think without a workbench, LONG term survival could be difficult.

There's easily accessible workbench in a trailer almost right next to the Milton's HRV entrance, I go back to it when doing long term HRV'ing. I think my longest continuous Stalker stay in HRV was 87 days and during that I revisited that trailer workbench twice or so, immediately returning afterwards

In Timberwolf, the one in the mountaineer hut is plenty enough. Honestly 1 workbench per map would be sufficient for me

Edited by Mistral

It's a good-sized home, and a six-cooker conserves firewood for big cook-ups on one 1 match (or maglens that you bring inside) late game. ML and CH has higher temps late game though and are more central for travel. It seems I end up spending many days at:
- Dam / Ravine (hub for long trips)
- Fishing Camp (fishing, easy bear)
- Camp Office (fishing, hub for short trips)

It's also nice if you have a shed or car right outside, or a cave/fishing hut reasonably near.

It's probably the best six-cooker home. Lighthouse in BI probably the worst (although it is a maglens six-cooker) :D

Edited by Gun Tech.
  • Upvote 1

On 8/12/2020 at 3:54 AM, hozz1235 said:

I considered bleak inlet (especially the area around the abandoned lighthouse - can't beat an outside 6-burner stove) but just couldn't stomach the Timberwolves.

On 8/12/2020 at 7:20 PM, Mistral said:

Camp office, easily... close by rabbit and deer spawning points, fishing cabin nearby (with easily avoidable wolfs unlike at CH), plenty of stick respawn points nearby, zero chance of moose or bear showing up when you come out of the door (and the ocassional single wolf never ventures right there either), decent storage opportunities, work bench, two inside stoves, good opportunities to avoid cabin fever (either in the back of the house safe from wind or in the nearby lookout cave), quick access to Forlorn and Forge and rest of the Western island, pretty good weather and so on. The aesthetics of the place also remind me of Gravity Falls

In addition I usually use Hydro dam as Site B and Trappers as Site C. Hydro is good for renewing Birch bark & deer from Ravine + scrap harvesting + general starting place for Eastern journeys, Trappers is good for cole and catching rabbits, maybe getting bear and moose.

As for bases on other maps when I'm there... CH it's the fishing huts and Quonset (don't really like either of those places but they're central), at PV the community hall and farmhouse, DP the lighthouse, TM the Mountaineers for best ninjass hut and deer clearing cave, Forlorn the forge, Broken Railroad the junkyard and hunting lodge (never really go to that map thou), Milton the grey mother house, HRV there's usually no base but just where I move to, Bleak maybe the cabin next to the fishing hut or the trailer closest to the Forlorn exit IDK it depends

yes you are rigth! this really does fine!

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite "home" is the CH fishing hut closest to the ice fishing shack.  It has a nice small interior with shelving, the ice fishing hut close by for cooking, fishing, and staying clear of cabin fever.  The ice is easy spotting and hunting.  There is a bear right at your doorstep.  There is a route to (predator free) ravine with no chance to run into predators (sans the bear at your doorstep).  There is a predator free route to the mine transition to PV where you can clear 30-40 coal per trip for easy mass cooking and water production with no chopping wood or much stick collecting.  It is close to the forge in DP for tool making.  It has a large coastline for beach-combing.  The weather is nice and easy to use no matches.   It's by far the most safe I feel in the game, and is beautiful to boot.

That being said I have bases on all the maps, but this is where I go when I just want to chill.

screen_edcd5408-0923-4ba7-8e03-85a910fa9b84_hi.png

Edited by haft2doit
this is the fishing shack after 5 cups of birch bark tea, 1 run to the mine, 2 fishing tackle, and 3 days and nights of fishing and water making. set for 60 days.
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Every interloper run I have to stop myself from just staying at the little cabin at the back of Mystery Lake. I don't know why I get so hooked on the place it's the occasional easy to pick off bear. The close jaunt over to the fishing hut to load up on fish and lamp oil. The short hike over to the warm cave to ward off cabin fever, camp office near for crafting. 

• Upvote 1

Mine...I like the outdoor bases a lot. The hut in TWM, love the view from that one....the Homestead by the forge in Muskeg...probably my favorite. Yeah, there’s more convenient and safer places, but I feel like I’m actually surviving there, plus that map is just fun to me. Also I love the abandoned church in DP and I know many here hate it but I like the shed in BR. Wolves are like pizza delivery in TLD to me, they bring food right to your door......

Indoor bases, I like the camp office. Great location. Simply the single best located one in the game. Yeah, the inside layout bites, but still.

Quonset hut is ok, just need guns for instawolf surprise.....

• Upvote 1

@Screenshot Pilgrim yeah, crossing muskeg in fog in this game is one of the most unique and brilliant gaming experiences I've ever had. I once set off from the bunk houses for the poacher camp and ended up toward spences. Amazing! But we digress...

I like the ML office. Its just a good spot and a nice map. I like the quite and being able to visit FM easily. 

• Upvote 1

i dont ever 100% 'settle' in one spot but rather set up a couple preferred spots in all maps and rotate through them to avoid boredom.  that being said, my most comfortable locations are camp office and CH fishing hut.  fishing hut is probably the best long term spot to survive for a couple reasons.  one easy loop per day and your resources are covered.  set 8-10 snares up the hill behind the road for rabbits, collect sticks along the way.  stop in the cabin on the way back and harvest rabbits, drop guts/pelts to cure then drop the meat in the fishing hut.  the fishing hut is really the hub of this location.  everytime the bear spawns, lure him to the fishing hut and drop him as close to the door as possible.  similar strategy for the packs of deer, push them as close to the fishing hut as possible, then drop them.  drop all sticks/wood in the fishing hut as well as a cooking pot.  start fires with maglens anytime the sun comes out and you have a decent pile of fuel/raw meat.  break the ice and fish during every cook (i skip anytthing under 10 min tho).  you will be surprised how many fish you can get even in little 30 minute bursts while cooking deer.  bear meat i let it run a 1 hour session.  boiling water in 1.5L increments gives you 3 minutes of overlay, or go for 2L and a 2 hour fish, letting the water overboil a bit to extend fishing time.  

this provides everything the loper player needs, water, bear hides, rabbit hides, deer hides, tons of guts from rabbit (i dont even harvest any other guts, not worth the exposure), tons of lamp oil for adventures, cabin fever reduction regularly.  there is forging just over in DP, loads of coal in transition cave to PV.  it really is 'the good life' in TLD world, but the grind gets boring like anything else.  what i like to do is build up fishing camp with enough hides to repair everything twice.  repair up to 100%, grab my tools, a full lantern with 1L extra fuel, and set out to live somewhere else for a while.  i build up a couple decent bases in a new map, collect birch/maple saps, any plants i can, and eventually haul the good stuff back to CH, leaving nice caches along the way for future excursions

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1