The Long Dark Hotfixed to V1.56 [49966]

Admin

389438904_HotfixBannerv2-Template_Blue.thumb.png.5188a0a56c7a91a2ead907a0dc9f6c5c.png

Hello community,

To address issues an issue with The Hunted, Part Two Challenge we have hotfixed The Long Dark to v1.56 [49966].

If you still encounter issues while playing The Long Dark please visit our Support Portal.

To stay-up-to-date with news and information about The Long Dark and Hinterland, sign up for our newsletter and follow us on Twitter (Game | Studio ).

If you have any other questions or are just curious to know more about the game, please also consider joining our weekly Milton Mailbag Q&A.

CHANGELIST v1.56 [49966]

• [CHALLENGE MODE] Fixed issue preventing players from being able to damage the Old Bear in The Hunted, Part Two.

###END OF RELEASE NOTES###

• Upvote 4
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, TheRealPestilence said:

That's it??  This game is currently literally riddled with bugs!  Wow.  Just... wow.

If you're experiencing a technical issue please report it to our Support Team at thelongdark.com/support. We then work to address reported issues, and anything else that our team identifies. These are prioritized based on frequency, how many people are affected and other measures.

We certainly would not agree however that the game is "riddled with bugs". If you are being prevented from playing the game in any manner again we would suggest contacting our Support Team as it may be an issue with your machine.

• Upvote 7
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, TheRealPestilence said:

My machine is not putting invisible concrete hitboxes around the new wolf animations that break arrows quickly and leave wolves uninjured and arrows floating in mid air.  My machine is not causing medicinal teas to provide no warming up affliction when also taken to relieve a pain affliction.  My machine is not causing art bugs that leave collisionless etherial snow at log bridges, preventing players from crossing them.  My machine didn't shift bow aim to the left, then back to the center, then back to the left again after the last supposed 'bow fix' over a month ago.

All of these bugs still existed after 1.55.  All of these bugs have been reported by me and by others.  It's obvious that nobody at hinterland actually plays the game any more and it's relatively evident you guys sometimes don't even TRY the game before you ship changes.  If you're not going to play it or test it, you could AT LEAST watch a YouTuber or streamer other than Hadrian play it once in a while.

I personally haven't experienced any "invisible concrete hitboxes" that "break arrows". I haven't had any issues with HOT teas not providing the warming benefit, whether I took them to cure an ailment or not. The point I'm getting at is that these bugs you're experiencing aren't shared by everyone. I do remember reading something about the snow on a log bridge being an issue, that was patched a while ago (because I never ran into the issue and reading a patch log was the first time I heard of it). As far as "bow sway" goes, that sounds like the new updated aiming mechanic to me, which was implemented in the Steadfast Ranger patch. And outlined. And had a YouTube video describing it, outlining it, and stating very clearly that it is a new game mechanic that has to be overcome.

Maybe there was an issue that prevented your machine from updating a bit of code, because none of what you're describing is an issue on my desktop computer, and that is what the admin is referring to when they say to contact support through the PROPER CHANNEL. Your machine may have corrupted files which are causing a cascade of other issues. As far as "watching YouTubers", I'd rather hit my beanbag with a hammer than watch other people play video games...so I don't know about issues they are experiencing too. But I know I am not experiencing what you are describing. At all. None of it. Therefore, it's not an issue with the game itself...just your copy of it on your machine.

If you're really interested in solving in-game issues, try reinstalling a fresh copy of the game. That's always the nuclear option for any bit of software having issues. That's been the go-to fix since the first program ran on the first computer back in the 1950s. That isn't rocket surgery. Doesn't take a 4 year degree to figure out "install fresh and see if it's still a problem". It's a much better way to handle a situation than hopping onto a forum and lashing out like a child that didn't get his cookie. The issues I'm seeing is the need for medication, not a patch.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, TheRealPestilence said:

That's it??  This game is currently literally riddled with bugs!  Wow.  Just... wow. 

Bit of an over statement if I ever heard one.... TLD certainly is not riddled with bugs...Far from it.

• Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, TheRealPestilence said:

Cool story bro.  I can go find video of all of those bugs post 1.55 on other players desktop machines to refute you, but I'm not going to bother. 

I'm not referring to bow sway.  I'm referring to 

*[Gameplay] Fixed issue with Bow aiming where Arrow position was slightly offset, affecting accuracy

which was fixed in 1.50 but reverted by 1.55.

As for hinterland saying they fixed something in the patch notes, here you go:

https://mobile.twitter.com/pest789/status/1133148336196706304

The fix was announced prior to 1.52 but was not actually fixed until 1.52.  However, it was also *not* included in the notes for 1.52.  

AS I SAID, I have already reported these issues through OFFICIAL means.  Thus the SHOCK at nothing being done about them.

Meanwhile, when I say the game is literally riddled with bugs, I'm talking about stuff that dates back at least two years like the hacksaw saying it needs quality tools to repair when simple tools work fine and dropping an improvised axe causing reported crafting times to drop. I don't actually expect stuff like that to get fixed though.  I realize we can't set the bar THAT high.

Again, not anything I'm experiencing. Not one bit of it.

But you didn't spaz out like a child this time, so good job! This is progress! I'm proud of you.

• Upvote 5

The only bug I've experienced is wolves not falling down after dying during a struggle. They're still harvestable, so it's not an impedance. Returning to the area resets the corpse and it will be lying on the ground instead of standing up. That's the only issue I'm seeing. So "riddled with bugs" is making a mountain out of a mole hole.

• Upvote 2

"Old" and "live" in conjunction infers that it's no longer a current live stream. Because it's not current. It's from two days ago. Try to keep up. I know it's hard, but I presume English is your primary language.

Also, on a similar note, nothing I've said, other than you acting like a child having a temper tantrum and the above snipe at your inferior sense of understanding, has been an anecdote. I never said I have performed the same action and got a different result. I said it's not something I have personally experienced. Two entirely different concepts with two entirely different meanings. If you've confused what I've said, that's an issue with your understanding and is in no way, shape, or form something wrong on my end of this exchange. It does, however, show that I am right about the medication. IF a situation arises where I have the opportunity to put the "tea issue" to a test, then I will gladly do so. However, I'm not going to intentionally jeopardize my sandbox's integrity, or my gameplay experience, to satisfy the whims of someone throwing a fit on the internet. I'm neither an employee of Hinterland, nor am I a game tester. I'm not going to sacrifice my fun. I'm not sorry, either.

I HAVE drank birch bark tea in my current sandbox. I received the warming up benefit, as well as the condition replenishment benefit. In that regard, I can say that it is an isolated issue. It's not something happening with ALL teas. I haven't used rose hip tea. I haven't used reishi tea. I cannot speak to whether or not the issue is occurring with those, and I'm still not going to cause food poisoning or cause a pain affliction to appease a crybaby. The cause is isolated. It's not universal.

Also, get some help, dude. Like, for real. At a human to human level, I'm genuinely concerned for you. Wild conclusions, misunderstandings, and abhorrent behaviors all point to not good things. I would like better FROM you, so I have no other logical path than to want better FOR you.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, TheRealPestilence said:

My machine is not putting invisible concrete hitboxes around the new wolf animations that break arrows quickly and leave wolves uninjured and arrows floating in mid air.  My machine is not causing medicinal teas to provide no warming up affliction when also taken to relieve a pain affliction.  My machine is not causing art bugs that leave collisionless etherial snow at log bridges, preventing players from crossing them.  My machine didn't shift bow aim to the left, then back to the center, then back to the left again after the last supposed 'bow fix' over a month ago.

All of these bugs still existed after 1.55.  All of these bugs have been reported by me and by others.  It's obvious that nobody at hinterland actually plays the game any more and it's relatively evident you guys sometimes don't even TRY the game before you ship changes.  If you're not going to play it or test it, you could AT LEAST watch a YouTuber or streamer other than Hadrian play it once in a while.

You have never obviously shipped anything.

The guys at Hinterland are fixing bugs, I get regularly mails from them in my inbox about bugs that I have submitted. As they are currently working hard on releasing next episode, I guarantee you, that these bugs are already fixed in that version of the game, and there is little point to fixing the live version, as the next big update is on the way. 

Take a chill pill, and enjoy your signs that next episode is coming soon. Yes, a hold on fixing "small" bugs (ones that do not prevent you from playing the game) is a sign that next big update is around the corner. 

46 minutes ago, TheRealPestilence said:

I've actually been a professional developer for more than 20 years and a hobbyist developer for nearly 40.  That's precisely why it's so frustrating to see Hinterland obviously fumbling with version control to the extent that they *constantly* reintroduce old bugs back into new releases.

Ok, I take that back.

I did not play the game that often that I have seen old bugs come back.

9 hours ago, Crakkerjakked said:

Showing me an old live stream of someone having the issue isn't going to change the fact that I have not personally experienced it. Which means it's an isolated issue. Which means all of the above still stands.

Drinking a HOT rosehip tea as a pain killer has NEVER given the heat bonus that drinking it purely as a tea has given.  The same applies to Reishi when drinking it hot as a food poisoning or intestinal parasites cure.  I can't recall exactly and would need to test, but I'm pretty sure coffee also only gives you fatigue reduction and not warming up bonus when drunk hot while fatigued.

It seems to me (as an outright guess) that the code has an either/or loop that applies the warm-up bonus if the relevant affliction is not present, OR applies the affliction remedy if it is present, but then does not provide the warm-up bonus.  This would be similar to painkillers or rosehip tea being needed for each sprain seperately when you have multiple sprains, rather than one dose treating all current sprain pains.

Disclosure - over 1,000 hours played in-game and upwards of 200 TLD videos on Youtube, plus an unknown (large) number of hours streamed on Twitch.  I tend to notice discrepancies like these as my streams and vids are in the let's play / tutorial style rather than simple speed runs and "do daft stuff to be entertaining" style.

Edit: typo

Edited by Gazbeard
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Let's try to avoid arguing.

If someone says that they're experiencing bugs then we tend to believe them, which is why we'd like them to contact our Support Team so that we can investigate. Of course it's important to understand that this goes both ways, someone may have an issue that barely anyone else sees or that nobody else sees. So it's just as important to believe people who say that they're not experiencing an issue.

We balance those all of those factors when moving forward with what fixes we deploy. Not everyone is going to agree with our decisions, and that's fine. Ideally they do their part to help out in the early stages and contact support and that's always helpful because the volume of reports of an issue gets weighted in with that decision process.

A few posts have been deleted to cut down on the argument and to leave the thread in a place where it can move forward in a constructive manner. It's understandable if you're frustrated because an issue you care about wasn't addressed, but taking up the thread with taking shots at other players or the dev team is less useful than cathartic. 

• Upvote 2

The bow STILL has issues 

-when aiming and the releasing with out firing it sometimes makes a repetitive noise that doesn’t go away until you put the bow away 

-bow was invisible after I transitioned into a different zone after above issue . Reloaded bow visible 

crafting time issue

- when switching from rabbit hat to deer boots

Crafting time states 12.5 hrs 

-when switching from deer pants to deer boots 

-When switching from hook to deer boots 

-BUT when switching from bear skin bed roll to deer boots 

crafting time states 25HRS

-Xbox one

• 2 weeks later...

ok @TheRealPestilence may be tough on his judgment, but coming at him disrespectfully pretending that the bugs don't exist is just unfair. Yes, there are still a lot of bugs (the teas not providing bonus when used as a treatment, for example). Yes, this game deserves better testings (hopefully to help the coders, definitively to prevent some frustration...).
It's still totally playable and will be improved, since it is still a work in progress.

Chill, guys.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

@rancid0 great news, at least they confirmed they are aware and are very likely working hard to address the issues you're having.  :) 

[Addendum]
You'll have to forgive me, I missed the bit in your post where you had already mentioned sending in bug reports.  I don't know how I missed it, but I did... my mistake.

Edited by ManicManiac

22 minutes ago, rancid0 said:

and its been so long since ive heard it...

I know it's not exactly the same, but I can at least offer a possible work around until it is fixed.

If you already have the sound track, you could always queue it up in what ever media player you have, set it to random, and play the game with it minimized in the background.  I know you mentioned you play on console... but this way you can still have the music playing ambiently while you play.

Again, I know it's not ideal... but at least you'd have the music back (sort of) in the mean time.  :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1