WAY too many revolver rounds!

Tbone555

I feel like there are just WAY too many rounds laying around for the revolver. This makes it way too overpowered as a tool, given that I have ample rounds just laying around. Too many to even carry with me, matter of fact. Hostile wildlife is a complete moot point. I'm finding as many revolver rounds as I would in a standard FPS, and this is a survival game! This seriously needs to be tuned

• Upvote 3

Yea I have also found heaps but to be honest they are only a decoration for me as there are no revolvers to fire them out of. I understand they are pretty rare and as it seems that a lot of people can't find them, it is partially balancing this out. But still, there are way too many, I currently have 60 rounds and I have only explored one region. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Comet777 said:

Yea I have also found heaps but to be honest they are only a decoration for me as there are no revolvers to fire them out of. I understand they are pretty rare and as it seems that a lot of people can't find them, it is partially balancing this out. But still, there are way too many, I currently have 60 rounds and I have only explored one region. 

Hunting lodge basement in broken railroad, in the back seat of one of the cars outside the hunting lodge, Dave's (rave) cave in mystery lake, and one of the signal fire caches in hushed river valley. All the possible spawns I've found. Good luck! It's a very fun weapon to play around with. Especially with the ample ammo laying around 😛

48 minutes ago, Pillock said:

I dunno. You can adjust loot amounts in the Custom Settings, and on the lower levels I haven't found there to be too many. I've even been running out sometimes.

I understand that, but I don't like using the custom settings. I'm a huge fan of just the classic stalker setting, but it's not a difficulty issue. I feel the default spawn rate just hasn't been tuned. I keep 6 in the chamber and 20 in my pack at all times, and have left at least 60 - 100 rounds behind in my travels. And I've only been alive 22 days, and have only PARTIALLY explored 4 maps. By partially I mean little to no scavenging at all and just picking up what was on the way to the hunting lodge. They're laying around, quite literally, everywhere. On dead bodies, in containers, on the floor, in lockers, at almost every location. It's really crazy how many rounds I could have had stockpiled if I wasn't more concerned about my carry weight.

7 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Sounds like you've been lucky.  Reiterating what others have said about settings, if you don't like the way the game is behaving, change it (settings).

You misunderstand my point though. On stalker mode, everything is challenging to find. Food, medicine, rifle rounds, etc. There are WAY too many revolver rounds and it just feels very out of place to literally every other loot item in the game at that difficulty. Imagine finding pilgrim level food loot while playing on interloper. That's what it feels like. It just isn't right.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Tbone555 said:

You misunderstand my point though. On stalker mode, everything is challenging to find. Food, medicine, rifle rounds, etc. There are WAY too many revolver rounds and it just feels very out of place to literally every other loot item in the game at that difficulty. Imagine finding pilgrim level food loot while playing on interloper. That's what it feels like. It just isn't right.

Sounds like you've been lucky.   I'd be curious to see if others who are starting new stalker runs are experiencing the same drop rates.

It seems like you've been lucky. I've had a couple games where I found too many but the last couple, where I before found a whole box, I find a single round. This particular game has been a lot of singles but in one region I found some full boxes. But I am running low again at 70 days and the next region is begging my appearance. Pleasant Valley has rarely been good to me for looting in general but I'm setting up to get through the cave to there from Coastal highway. Easy loot is starting to sound good.

How is revolver ammo in Mountain Town. I started there once and it was not ammo heaven but I'm thinking it may be better than Pleasant Valley.

4 minutes ago, Muestereate said:

It seems like you've been lucky. I've had a couple games where I found too many but the last couple, where I before found a whole box, I find a single round. This particular game has been a lot of singles but in one region I found some full boxes. But I am running low again at 70 days and the next region is begging my appearance. Pleasant Valley has rarely been good to me for looting in general but I'm setting up to get through the cave to there from Coastal highway. Easy loot is starting to sound good.

How is revolver ammo in Mountain Town. I started there once and it was not ammo heaven but I'm thinking it may be better than Pleasant Valley.

I'm not fully sure, I can't remember. I did pass through mountain town on my last game, but that was months ago. I'm finding less rounds in mystery lake, but they're still more than enough. I've killed like 20 wolves in my run already. I have way too much ammo so I've been just shooting the wolves and harvesting them for fun and to up my skill. I found most of my supply in coastal highway and desolation point. They were EVERYWHERE in those 2. Also found 2 boxes in the hunting lounge.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:32 PM, Tbone555 said:

Perhaps you can explain something to me, because after reading more than a few comments like this (not just about revolver rounds, but any loot), I wonder what the end goal of your gameplay style is.

The game is supposed to be a survival game ~ which means the more items you have that benefit you, the more chance you have to actually survive.

My issue isn't the amount of loot so much as the loot itself instead of things we craft to enhance survival chances.  Crafting fills up game hours and collecting supplies not only fills up hours but provides an actual reason to explore/travel. As it stands, just looting and pillaging tends to make more than one pass through any region a moot point once you've looted what is there. The only thing that is respawning beyond that point is coal/various wood to burn and wildlife. Both of those can be obtained in a single region. I play to survive, so I loot, drag it to a home base, and settle in. Given that just about everything is already 'finite' in nature, I have to wonder if there really are that many players that care so little about surviving vs. just eking out a measly existence with a countdown clock. Supplies are there to make surviving better than dying in my world ~ which is why I question the reasoning of those who want less of already finite items. I really am curious. 

Guest jeffpeng

Considering how bloody lousy a shot I am with the revolver (and I am quite the sniper with the bow and the flare gun xD) there cannot be enough revolver rounds in any given game. I mean the wolves still run, but they aren't afraid. They run away laughing to tell their friends. I'm sure of it. Plus I'm not telling you about the countless times I missed my own foot by an inch. So if anything we need more rounds, and bigger, heatseeking ones, too.

(This post may or may not be entirely serious. However, I really suck with the revolver.)

If you feel like you're finding too many rounds, maybe stop picking them up?  People who like the revolver and want the rounds would be pretty upset if the spawn rate were reduced.  However when they do spawn, you're not obligated to take them.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, FrozenCorpse said:

In a Milton Mailbox reply to a player question asking "when will we be getting the revolver?", @Raphael van Lierop had responded something to the effect, "When you'll need it.".

I'm thinking that what might be happening here is simply a disparity between the "test-bed" functionality of the survival sandbox, and the release of Ep.3 with the now infamous Timberwolf packs.  Surely, you probably DO have more rounds than you need ATM.  However, sooner than later, I fear we may find that precious balance restored once those packs of "walking, stalking Cowl-bots" hit the stage, and many like myself will be fondly reminiscing of an earlier time when we could lackadaisically go tromping-stomping through the woods just hoping some unlucky furry punk would "make my day".

I'm actually liking the current (albeit temporary) imbalance favoring us players.  Dying is probably my least favorite part of playing any survival game.  Though, yeah.. I do get your point:  Too easy is worse than too hard when it comes to survival games.  I have serious doubts that the savage & sadistic .. I mean, kind and benevolent game-devs are planning to tolerate my tra-la-la'ing through the Muskeg nearly as long as I would prefer. 😳

I say we enjoy it while it lasts!

Definitely great points! :)

3 hours ago, loriaw said:

Perhaps you can explain something to me, because after reading more than a few comments like this (not just about revolver rounds, but any loot), I wonder what the end goal of your gameplay style is.

The game is supposed to be a survival game ~ which means the more items you have that benefit you, the more chance you have to actually survive.

My issue isn't the amount of loot so much as the loot itself instead of things we craft to enhance survival chances.  Crafting fills up game hours and collecting supplies not only fills up hours but provides an actual reason to explore/travel. As it stands, just looting and pillaging tends to make more than one pass through any region a moot point once you've looted what is there. The only thing that is respawning beyond that point is coal/various wood to burn and wildlife. Both of those can be obtained in a single region. I play to survive, so I loot, drag it to a home base, and settle in. Given that just about everything is already 'finite' in nature, I have to wonder if there really are that many players that care so little about surviving vs. just eking out a measly existence with a countdown clock. Supplies are there to make surviving better than dying in my world ~ which is why I question the reasoning of those who want less of already finite items. I really am curious. 

Well it's just like you said. Beginning the game, for experts at least, is basically just "eking out a measley existence with a countdown clock" and not actually "surviving" in a harsh environment because of the abundant supplies and resources for those who know where to obtain them. And supplies are more abundant on lower difficulties, which is why people play interloper and stalker. For the challenge. For mother nature to throw you out on your arse before you're ready for it instead of pilgrim style making you feel right at home with multiple containers full of everything you need. I prefer it when you wake up in the morning starving and have no idea if you're gonna live to see tomorrow. That's what the "survival" aspect is all about.

If you DO want to use this game for a really pretty hunting and cabin decorating sim, by all means do so. In pilgrim and voyageur. But that shouldn't be what stalker and above is all about. As the description states, your demise is waiting behind every hilltop. Except, it's not when I have 130 revolver rounds.

Edited by Tbone555

18 minutes ago, Tbone555 said:

Well it's just like you said. Beginning the game, for experts at least, is basically just "eking out a measley existence with a countdown clock" and not actually "surviving" in a harsh environment because of the abundant supplies and resources for those who know where to obtain them. And supplies are more abundant on lower difficulties, which is why people play interloper and stalker. For the challenge. For mother nature to throw you out on your arse before you're ready for it instead of pilgrim style making you feel right at home with multiple containers full of everything you need. I prefer it when you wake up in the morning starving and have no idea if you're gonna live to see tomorrow. That's what the "survival" aspect is all about.

If you DO want to use this game for a really pretty hunting and cabin decorating sim, by all means do so. In pilgrim and voyageur. But that shouldn't be what stalker and above is all about. As the description states, your demise is waiting behind every hilltop. Except, it's not when I have 130 revolver rounds.

If you're getting too many rounds on stalker... go custom and cut the loot spawns even further to make it play like interloper, but with a rifle, revolver AND uber aggressive wolves.  If that's still too easy for you, add in the deadman element.  You've got a ways to go on settings before you can't make it tougher.

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

If you're getting too many rounds on stalker... go custom and cut the loot spawns even further to make it play like interloper, but with a rifle, revolver AND uber aggressive wolves.  If that's still too easy for you, add in the deadman element.  You've got a ways to go on settings before you can't make it tougher.

As I previously stated, I don't like using custom settings and you're missing the entire point I'm making. I'm saying, as opposed to every other loot item drop rate, I find way way way more revolver rounds than I do other loot items. It feels unbalanced on the default stalker setting.

12 minutes ago, Tbone555 said:

As I previously stated, I don't like using custom settings and you're missing the entire point I'm making. I'm saying, as opposed to every other loot item drop rate, I find way way way more revolver rounds than I do other loot items. It feels unbalanced on the default stalker setting.

Over several starts, I found the numbers of rounds for the revolver are varying quite a bit... some have had way more rounds than the rifle and a couple have had less rounds than the rifle.  I've also had quite a few starts where just finding the revolver has been, well, nonexistent while I've found, generally, far more rifles... such is the nature of random loot.  When I queried Rap about the rifle vs. revolver spawns, he said they were balanced over the entire world (all maps combined), so I wouldn't pass judgment until every zone had been thoroughly explored overall.  As others here have suggested, we have a new wolf coming as well.  Will that wolf spawn more frequently on stalker than other settings... giving rise to an absolute need for more of the revolver ammo?  No one really knows yet.

In the meantime, you can use the custom settings to rebalance your game.  I honestly don't understand why you don't like using them.  Once you've obtained your feats, it doesn't make any difference than using a standard setting since you can still get achievements in a custom game and adding in whatever feats you select changes the game anyways... but that's for you to decide.  It's still an option for anyone else finding it "unbalanced" right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Over several starts, I found the numbers of rounds for the revolver are varying quite a bit... some have had way more rounds than the rifle and a couple have had less rounds than the rifle.  I've also had quite a few starts where just finding the revolver has been, well, nonexistent while I've found, generally, far more rifles... such is the nature of random loot.  When I queried Rap about the rifle vs. revolver spawns, he said they were balanced over the entire world (all maps combined), so I wouldn't pass judgment until every zone had been thoroughly explored overall.  As others here have suggested, we have a new wolf coming as well.  Will that wolf spawn more frequently on stalker than other settings... giving rise to an absolute need for more of the revolver ammo?  No one really knows yet.

In the meantime, you can use the custom settings to rebalance your game.  I honestly don't understand why you don't like using them.  Once you've obtained your feats, it doesn't make any difference than using a standard setting since you can still get achievements in a custom game and adding in whatever feats you select changes the game anyways... but that's for you to decide.  It's still an option for anyone else finding it "unbalanced" right now.

I just don't prefer the custom setting because I've been playing this game since late 2013 on stalker and I'm just accustomed to that default experience. It feels classic in a way that custom doesn't. I have tried custom and it just isn't for me. In some ways it feels like cheating, in others it just takes too long to set up, in others it requires way too much trial runs and exploring settings to get that "perfect" sandbox. So I'd rather just play a default setting. Which is ironic since I believe I may have been one of the first people to mention custom sandbox back in alpha and was very for it way back when lol

Back to the original topic, maybe I have just been getting very lucky, maybe it's an intentional addition for future updates, who knows? I'm still enjoying the game, it's not like it's a huge deal. Just a minor gripe which will be either explained or ironed out in time

On 6/27/2019 at 5:14 AM, Tbone555 said:

I feel like there are just WAY too many rounds laying around for the revolver. This makes it way too overpowered as a tool, given that I have ample rounds just laying around. Too many to even carry with me, matter of fact. Hostile wildlife is a complete moot point. I'm finding as many revolver rounds as I would in a standard FPS, and this is a survival game! This seriously needs to be tuned

I guess that you will need those rounds in future updates ! 

Maybe when more predator are added to the game ! 

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 7:45 PM, Tbone555 said:

That's fair enough ~ although the game mechanics and limitations are not viable options for either a hunting game or any form of 'cabin decorating' sim (I've never played a sim type game or the SIMS so I may be wrong, but I doubt it).  

I do prefer a relaxing game rather than knuckle clenching and stress, but I play games to relax rather than an adrenalin charge (all games, not just this one).

33 minutes ago, loriaw said:

That's fair enough ~ although the game mechanics and limitations are not viable options for either a hunting game or any form of 'cabin decorating' sim (I've never played a sim type game or the SIMS so I may be wrong, but I doubt it).  

I do prefer a relaxing game rather than knuckle clenching and stress, but I play games to relax rather than an adrenalin charge (all games, not just this one).

Well hinterland has crafted each difficulty mode to peoples specific preferences for that reason. And that is basically all I did when I played voyageur, I hunted and decorated my shelter with extra gear because that's about all I could find to do.

I am having trouble now with my revolver rounds, I'm down to three bullets because I went a little crazy on the wolves on mystery lake xD in no way complaining however, because as I said this is the way I prefer it. I suppose it does balance itself out eventually

57 minutes ago, Tbone555 said:

Well hinterland has crafted each difficulty mode to peoples specific preferences for that reason.

I would say that this is inherently false.  Hinterland has likely crafted each difficulty mode to a group preferences held by an "average" of certain groups of players (a demographic).  The custom settings are there so that individual people can fine tune those settings to better accommodate their individual specific preferences.  You're opting yourself not to use them... and that's fine.  If Hinterland wants to retune the revolver rounds to suit you and not me, I'm also fine with that... Hopefully, they will work it such that I can change it to how I like in in the custom settings then.  I have no qualms about using custom settings to enhance my own experiences in this game and I don't consider it at all to be "cheaty."   It just means I fall outside whatever "average" demographic they used for that particular standard difficulty level.

Edited by UpUpAway95

23 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I would say that this is inherently false.  Hinterland has likely crafted each difficulty mode to a group preferences held by an "average" of certain groups of players (a demographic).  The custom settings are there so that individual people can fine tune those settings to better accommodate their individual specific preferences.  You're opting yourself not to use them... and that's fine.  If Hinterland wants to retune the revolver rounds to suit you and not me, I'm also fine with that... Hopefully, they will work it such that I can change it to how I like in in the custom settings then.  I have no qualms about using custom settings to enhance my own experiences in this game and I don't consider it at all to be "cheaty."   It just means I fall outside whatever "average" demographic they used for that particular standard difficulty level.

Custom difficulty isn't excluded from my statement, I meant that aswell. Some people prefer to play the experience hinterland has hand crafted while others prefer their own rules, and that's fine too. But this is a game in progress where problems do arise with new updates and an uneven drop rate for a new item isn't as easily fixed as "just play custom sandbox."

This may or may not be intentional by hinterland. If it was intentional they need to hear the opinions of their player base until they give us an actual need to be finding 100 rounds per map, or if it's unintentional then it needs to be fixed.

16 minutes ago, Tbone555 said:

Custom difficulty isn't excluded from my statement, I meant that aswell. Some people prefer to play the experience hinterland has hand crafted while others prefer their own rules, and that's fine too. But this is a game in progress where problems do arise with new updates and an uneven drop rate for a new item isn't as easily fixed as "just play custom sandbox."

This may or may not be intentional by hinterland. If it was intentional they need to hear the opinions of their player base until they give us an actual need to be finding 100 rounds per map, or if it's unintentional then it needs to be fixed.

I do think you've been lucky though at finding rounds because on my several starts testing the revolver spawns when it first came out, I never found more than 40 (correction 50) rounds for the revolver on any of the individual maps I cleared repeatedly on those starts (Mountain Town, Mystery Lake, and Coastal Highway - i.e. the major maps where loot is found).  The revolver itself was extremely rare since I frequently did not find one at all; whereas I was regularly finding 3 or more rifles in each map.  When I queried Raph on it, he basically said that the tuning was done over the entire game world and that the intent was that the revolver itself would be found with about the same frequency as the rifle, but rounds would be more common than the rifle.  My current playthrough (Voyageur), starting in Mountain Town and having cleared it has yielded in my finding : 2 rifles, 1 revolver, 35 rounds of revolver ammo and 25 rounds of rifle ammo, and no bow or arrowheads/broken arrows.  In other starts, I've found more rifle ammo than revolver ammo.  Make of it what you will, but that's how the numbers are playing out for me.  Never anywhere near 100 revolver rounds per map.

The Baseline Resource Availability for PIlgrim is Very High and for Voyageur its High.  It's Medium for Stalker.  Every other custom setting that controls loot is also more liberal on Pilgrim than on Stalker, so unless Hinterlands has introduced an ammo setting that's specifically higher for stalker, the only way I could explain your luck is luck.  If they have introduced a specific ammo setting, I hope they add that one into the custom settings as well so that individual players can control it individually.

Edited by UpUpAway95

1 hour ago, FrozenCorpse said:

I'm curious if you experimented much with the pistols accuracy at range...?  I'd be interested in hearing how that worked out for you since I only bring mine up to aim once the wolf is focuses on the decoy.  After firing, the wolves I wasn't aiming at will scatter briefly and my intended target is either dead, or dying & running all over the place.  Did wolves still tend to scatter as easily when shooting at them from far away?  How did the aim and bullet drop hold up?  Did you find the effective range to be significantly shorter than you would expect IRL?  If you missed your target entirely from afar, did they immediately launch into an attack or just turn and begin stalking you?

tyvmia

I didn't experiment with it at range at all, unfortunately, these are great questions! I did however discover that it makes a decent tool for hunting deer, despite the description specifically pointing out that it's NOT a hunting tool. I think they changed the description though. Either way you won't be dropping a deer with one shot or anything but it's good enough to make it bleed out with one well placed bullet at 100 percent condition, if you're hurting for a rifle and don't mind tracking. If I find another dozen or so rounds I definitely will experiment with range and get back to you! :)