WAY too many revolver rounds!

Tbone555

44 minutes ago, FrozenCorpse said:

I've read that it is only the last bullet that determines the bleed-out rate, but I'm curious if each hit stacks the initial damage so that several shots at center-mass could theoretically bring a large animal down even tho none of them are necessarily critting...

I also read that simply discharging the revolver without raising it to aim has some interesting results.  I guess I'll just have to put a few rounds in the gun and see for myself before those TW's appear on the scene and I get all hoardy again...

I've done this just to scare some wolves off before and there isn't anything particularly interesting about it. It just places a very inaccurate blind shot vaguely where you were pointing. It does scare the wolfies though. Some of them at least

In my latest game, the wolves seem to be getting more aggressive. As I stated I've been pretty much killing them for fun and now they don't seem to scare off with a warning shot. I pretty much HAVE to hit them to make them flee. 

49 minutes ago, FrozenCorpse said:

I've read that it is only the last bullet that determines the bleed-out rate, but I'm curious if each hit stacks the initial damage so that several shots at center-mass could theoretically bring a large animal down even tho none of them are necessarily critting...

I also read that simply discharging the revolver without raising it to aim has some interesting results.  I guess I'll just have to put a few rounds in the gun and see for myself before those TW's appear on the scene and I get all hoardy again...

Well the other day I shot a bear like 8 times. 5 with the revolver, 3 with the rifle. It tried to steal my moose meat. Last mistake he ever made. And he did not go down with those 8 shots, but instead fled back to the unnamed pond where I found his still warm body the very next morning. Either it got confused and spawned in his body still warm, or it literally took him ALL night to bleed out. So I don't believe it does stack initial damage

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 10:11 AM, Tbone555 said:

I'm not fully sure, I can't remember. I did pass through mountain town on my last game, but that was months ago. I'm finding less rounds in mystery lake, but they're still more than enough. I've killed like 20 wolves in my run already. I have way too much ammo so I've been just shooting the wolves and harvesting them for fun and to up my skill. I found most of my supply in coastal highway and desolation point. They were EVERYWHERE in those 2. Also found 2 boxes in the hunting lounge.

It's entirely possible that once the timber wolves make an appearance, you'll feel a lot differently about the amount you can find regardless of level.

The impending addition of the timberwolf is a great point, one that I hadn't considered, but one that I think is not a coincidence.  I think this timing was planned.  Release the revolver first, get user feedback, tune spawn rates and root out the bugs... THEN release the animal it was meant to handle.

3 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I do think you've been lucky though at finding rounds because on my several starts testing the revolver spawns when it first came out, I never found more than 40 (correction 50) rounds for the revolver on any of the individual maps I cleared repeatedly on those starts (Mountain Town, Mystery Lake, and Coastal Highway - i.e. the major maps where loot is found).  The revolver itself was extremely rare since I frequently did not find one at all; whereas I was regularly finding 3 or more rifles in each map.  When I queried Raph on it, he basically said that the tuning was done over the entire game world and that the intent was that the revolver itself would be found with about the same frequency as the rifle, but rounds would be more common than the rifle.  My current playthrough (Voyageur), starting in Mountain Town and having cleared it has yielded in my finding : 2 rifles, 1 revolver, 35 rounds of revolver ammo and 25 rounds of rifle ammo, and no bow or arrowheads/broken arrows.  In other starts, I've found more rifle ammo than revolver ammo.  Make of it what you will, but that's how the numbers are playing out for me.  Never anywhere near 100 revolver rounds per map.

The Baseline Resource Availability for PIlgrim is Very High and for Voyageur its High.  It's Medium for Stalker.  Every other custom setting that controls loot is also more liberal on Pilgrim than on Stalker, so unless Hinterlands has introduced an ammo setting that's specifically higher for stalker, the only way I could explain your luck is luck.  If they have introduced a specific ammo setting, I hope they add that one into the custom settings as well so that individual players can control it individually.

100 rounds was an overstatement, of course. I should really refrain from using sarcasm in such a way when I know hinterland is gonna be reading this lol, I apologize. The more accurate number is 60 - 80. But do you know how many rounds I've found for my rifle? 12. That's a huuuuuge difference, for a survival game. Those two numbers for this game are the difference between day and night, and they've just made wolves a complete non threat. To be fair, in my experience flares don't work AT ALL on wolves anymore even when stepped on, so it is nice to have another reliable wolf repellent added.

Maybe timberwolves will balance it out. But let's look at what that means - if you have to use THAT many rounds of ammo to keep threats away, you're bordering on a shooter game. And the long dark is NOT a shooter game and should never feel like one.

29 minutes ago, Tbone555 said:

100 rounds was an overstatement, of course. I should really refrain from using sarcasm in such a way when I know hinterland is gonna be reading this lol, I apologize. The more accurate number is 60 - 80. But do you know how many rounds I've found for my rifle? 12. That's a huuuuuge difference, for a survival game. Those two numbers for this game are the difference between day and night, and they've just made wolves a complete non threat. To be fair, in my experience flares don't work AT ALL on wolves anymore even when stepped on, so it is nice to have another reliable wolf repellent added.

Maybe timberwolves will balance it out. But let's look at what that means - if you have to use THAT many rounds of ammo to keep threats away, you're bordering on a shooter game. And the long dark is NOT a shooter game and should never feel like one.

If stalker players are getting 60-80 rounds on average per map zone and only 12 rifle rounds... and this is not just RNG... then it could mean that Hinterland has introduced a difficulty specific way to manage just the individual types of ammo because it's so much higher than the averages I'm seeing on the lower difficulties (even though the lower difficulties have consistently easier loot settings per their templates in the Custom menu.  All I"m saying is that, if that is the case, I hope they add that individual ammo setting to the Custom menu so that, if I want to play a Stalker game with the lower average revolver ammo spawn I'm seeing in Pilgrim, I could do it or if I wanted personally to play a Pilgrim game with the higher ammo spawns found in stalker, I could do that too.  What 'type" of TLD play is most enjoyable for you is not necessarily what it is for me on any particular given playthrough.  Custom settings have enabled a lot of different imaginative types of playthroughs... I'd like to see them expand it rather than start in with the sort of dogma that "this isn't this type of game" or "you shouldn't do that" or "it's cheating" etc.  It's a single player game.  We single players should be able to play it within whatever confines Hinterland wants to give us regardless of prefered difficulty level,

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

If stalker players are getting 60-80 rounds on average per map zone and only 12 rifle rounds... and this is not just RNG... then it could mean that Hinterland has introduced a difficulty specific way to manage just the individual types of ammo because it's so much higher than the averages I'm seeing on the lower difficulties (even though the lower difficulties have consistently easier loot settings per their templates in the Custom menu.  All I"m saying is that, if that is the case, I hope they add that individual ammo setting to the Custom menu so that, if I want to play a Stalker game with the lower average revolver ammo spawn I'm seeing in Pilgrim, I could do it or if I wanted personally to play a Pilgrim game with the higher ammo spawns found in stalker, I could do that too.  What 'type" of TLD play is most enjoyable for you is not necessarily what it is for me on any particular given playthrough.  Custom settings have enabled a lot of different imaginative types of playthroughs... I'd like to see them expand it rather than start in with the sort of dogma that "this isn't this type of game" or "you shouldn't do that" or "it's cheating" etc.  It's a single player game.  We single players should be able to play it within whatever confines Hinterland wants to give us regardless of prefered difficulty level

Well I wasn't saying any of those things about custom sandbox, and I have no quarrel at all for people who do enjoy it. I DID say that it feels like cheating to me. That's just how it feels to me specifically, obviously the custom sandbox has a huge following and there's nothing wrong with that. The custom sandbox is a great idea and I'm still totally for it being improved on, and may try it again some day. It's just not my cup of rosehip tea. I prefer playing the specific difficulty experiences hinterland themselves tailored for the game, and that's just the way I enjoy playing. I didn't mean to bash the custom option in any way.

Anyway this discussion doesn't seem to be going much of anywhere. Only time will tell if this was a mistake or intentional for the addition of new predators. And a new topic in the future may be opened up to debate on if the timberwolves make the game feel too shooter-esque. Lets hope that hinterland is smart about the new addition and tunes the timberwolves as to not just be zombie wolves.

Guest jeffpeng
On 7/2/2019 at 12:35 AM, ajb1978 said:

The impending addition of the timberwolf is a great point, one that I hadn't considered, but one that I think is not a coincidence.  I think this timing was planned.  Release the revolver first, get user feedback, tune spawn rates and root out the bugs... THEN release the animal it was meant to handle.

Further makes me fear that TLD will have a serious shoot'em up portion to it. One of the most enticing aspects of the game (to me) is that you don't run around shooting your way through problems. Sure, in Interloper you still don't do that, and Stalker (with better clothing) already has a bit of hack'n'slay to it, but ... meh. I just hope TLD doesn't lose its identity over this.

1 hour ago, jeffpeng said:

Further makes me fear that TLD will have a serious shoot'em up portion to it. One of the most enticing aspects of the game (to me) is that you don't run around shooting your way through problems. Sure, in Interloper you still don't do that, and Stalker (with better clothing) already has a bit of hack'n'slay to it, but ... meh. I just hope TLD doesn't lose its identity over this.

That's what I'm saying. Even if the timberwolves do balance the revolver rounds out, that means we're gonna pretty much have a survival shooter on our hands. And like I said before the long dark is NOT A shooter and never should be

1 hour ago, Tbone555 said:

That's what I'm saying. Even if the timberwolves do balance the revolver rounds out, that means we're gonna pretty much have a survival shooter on our hands. And like I said before the long dark is NOT A shooter and never should be

I'm sorry, I don't see that unless you let the existence of the rounds in the world cause you to behave like you're in a survival shooter.  Nothing makes you pick them up when you find them.   Nothing prevents you from just sticking them away in an obscure cabinet somewhere and forgetting about them after you find them.  Having them potentially be there enables weaker players to at least have a chance at getting the skill to Level 5.

The bigger issue here that could change the identity of TLD is how many hits it takes to get the pistol skill up to Level 5.  If that number is large, that would make the game start to feel like more of a shooter.  If they keep is small, then it doesn't really matter how many rounds you find... just don't pick them and/or don't use them.  People who want to shoot more should have the option.  I don't care what somebody else does in their game.  It's a single player game.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I'm sorry, I don't see that unless you let the existence of the rounds in the world cause you to behave like you're in a survival shooter.  Nothing makes you pick them up when you find them.   Nothing prevents you from just sticking them away in an obscure cabinet somewhere and forgetting about them after you find them.  Having them potentially be there enables weaker players to at least have a chance at getting the skill to Level 5.

I disagree whole heartedly with this statement. I refuse to just "not pick up" the rounds. Because this is a survival game and I'm going to use every resource provided to survive. That's my role as a survivor. It's hinterlands role to make sure survival isn't all that easy for me and I don't get TOO many resources

28 minutes ago, Tbone555 said:

I disagree whole heartedly with this statement. I refuse to just "not pick up" the rounds. Because this is a survival game and I'm going to use every resource provided to survive. That's my role as a survivor. It's hinterlands role to make sure survival isn't all that easy for me and I don't get TOO many resources

Then pick them up and hoard them someplace.  You still don't have to choose to shoot anything.  Even the timberwolf will be able to be killed with the bow.  It has to be that way since interloper has no pistol or rifle in it.  You're qualms shouldn't prevent a weaker player from having access to enough rounds to get to a Level 5 skill or even to just shoot more if they want to.  If a player wants to just use the pistol and not use a rifle or a bow, that's a choice they should be able to make... not encumbered by your sensibilities over there being some ammo lying around in the world.

It basically brings us back to the need for a custom setting that is specific to ammo because, by your scenario, it's going to take a wildly different amount of ammo available to make a crack shot feel like they're just surviving as opposed to the player who isn't a crack shot or who is opting to use the revolver as the scare tactic it's intended to be.  They are going to balance it to an average demographic.  If you want something more refined, you will have to use a custom setting.  Hopefully, they make such a custom setting available.

Edited by UpUpAway95

Guest jeffpeng

I'm kinda tired of the "if you don't like it don't do/use it" argument. A game - every game - lives from the boundaries it sets. Contrary to apparently common belief balance IS important even in a single player game. Be it TLD or be it freezing Minesweeper. Give yourself unlimited ammunition, make every rabbit drop 100 kilograms of meat, and make it rain stims with every blizzard. If you don't like that don't use that stuff. No, it doesn't work that way. One can agree or disagree with a statement or sentiment, but flinging this generic dismissal at every person that dares to disagree with something the game does/doesn't or a certain direction the game is headed just doesn't cut it.

35 minutes ago, Tbone555 said:

Because this is a survival game and I'm going to use every resource provided to survive. That's my role as a survivor. It's hinterlands role to make sure survival isn't all that easy for me and I don't get TOO many resources

... sums it up pretty nicely. The dev and/or your settings set up the boundaries, which you then use - and if you can bend or even break - any way you can.

On topic, and this time seriously: It was my position that the revolver is redundant long before they introduced it, and I'm still claiming that it is indeed a redundant weapon that adds not particular gameplay value (yet?). I am, however, sorta happy it isn't the magical "does it all" weapon (even if it does everything, just not very good), and also that you don't find it in Interloper, which makes it pretty much a non-issue for me personally. When you are a thorough looter and a proper hoarter you stack up ammunition very quickly - so quickly that I would indeed advise to dial it back a bit. Maybe by a third? A fourth? 

On the other hand I feel like the revolver adresses the issue that some people not keen on doing Interloper anyways desire another sustainable way of defense somewhere in the middle of the bow, flare gun and rifle. And the revolver is just that. It does almost everything the other weapons do, but worse. So it is the classic jack of a traits, master of none. But for it to be (anywhere near) as sustainable as the bow you need that amount of ammunition. And I wouldn't be surprised if this is the actual reasoning behind the relative abundance of revolver ammunition.

But (and this is a big but) if the actual reason for the abundance of ammunition is actually that you need it to shoot your way through the game in the future I am indeed not a fan. But since this remains to be seen I'm not ringing the alarm yet. There are enough hints to be worried, tho.

This discussion also brings back the constant feeling that there is a gap between Stalker and Interloper that would deserve it's own preset difficulty. Please don't point to the custom sandbox at this point. I know it's there, and I've been using it extensively, and yes also for this exact purpose, but many people would prefer a "well balanced" experience that fits their profile rather than patching together their own. I outlined this before once: basically Stalker-strength wolves with Interloper-level tracking capabilities, and in reduced numbers as found in Interloper, with Interloper loot scarceness but tools, weapons and rare instances of premium clothing such as the Expedition Parka, with Interloper weather, but the Stalker cold progression, and Interloper consumption and recovery metrics, but Stalker-Level loot decay and punitive mechanics (such as Cabin Fever and Parasites). Basically taking the edge out of Interloper, while also doing away with the Stalker-Style wolf swarming and still offering a "full game" in that you get to use, albeit rarely, every item in the game. But that's just my 2 cents on the side on this.

2 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Then pick them up and hoard them someplace.  You still don't have to choose to shoot anything.  Even the timberwolf will be able to be killed with the bow.  It has to be that way since interloper has no pistol or rifle in it.  You're qualms shouldn't prevent a weaker player from having access to enough rounds to get to a Level 5 skill or even to just shoot more if they want to.  If a player wants to just use the pistol and not use a rifle or a bow, that's a choice they should be able to make... not encumbered by your sensibilities over there being some ammo lying around in the world.

It basically brings us back to the need for a custom setting that is specific to ammo because, by your scenario, it's going to take a wildly different amount of ammo available to make a crack shot feel like they're just surviving as opposed to the player who isn't a crack shot or who is opting to use the revolver as the scare tactic it's intended to be.  They are going to balance it to an average demographic.  If you want something more refined, you will have to use a custom setting.  Hopefully, they make such a custom setting available.

So what you're basically saying is that the game needs to be made easier for newer, or "average" players.

When has this ever been the essence of the long dark? Up until now the long dark has been VERY punishing and unforgiving to newer players. Before wintermute it just threw us into the sandbox in a "swim or drown, good luck!" Fashion. And that's what made it such a great survival game. And now we really have people saying it should be easier on new players? Oh how the times have changed.

34 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

I'm kinda tired of the "if you don't like it don't do/use it" argument. A game - every game - lives from the boundaries it sets. Contrary to apparently common belief balance IS important even in a single player game. Be it TLD or be it freezing Minesweeper. Give yourself unlimited ammunition, make every rabbit drop 100 kilograms of meat, and make it rain stims with every blizzard. If you don't like that don't use that stuff. No, it doesn't work that way. One can agree or disagree with a statement or sentiment, but flinging this generic dismissal at every person that dares to disagree with something the game does/doesn't or a certain direction the game is headed just doesn't cut it.

... sums it up pretty nicely. The dev and/or your settings set up the boundaries, which you then use - and if you can bend or even break - any way you can.

On topic, and this time seriously: It was my position that the revolver is redundant long before they introduced it, and I'm still claiming that it is indeed a redundant weapon that adds not particular gameplay value (yet?). I am, however, sorta happy it isn't the magical "does it all" weapon (even if it does everything, just not very good), and also that you don't find it in Interloper, which makes it pretty much a non-issue for me personally. When you are a thorough looter and a proper hoarter you stack up ammunition very quickly - so quickly that I would indeed advise to dial it back a bit. Maybe by a third? A fourth? 

On the other hand I feel like the revolver adresses the issue that some people not keen on doing Interloper anyways desire another sustainable way of defense somewhere in the middle of the bow, flare gun and rifle. And the revolver is just that. It does almost everything the other weapons do, but worse. So it is the classic jack of a traits, master of none. But for it to be (anywhere near) as sustainable as the bow you need that amount of ammunition. And I wouldn't be surprised if this is the actual reasoning behind the relative abundance of revolver ammunition.

But (and this is a big but) if the actual reason for the abundance of ammunition is actually that you need it to shoot your way through the game in the future I am indeed not a fan. But since this remains to be seen I'm not ringing the alarm yet. There are enough hints to be worried, tho.

This discussion also brings back the constant feeling that there is a gap between Stalker and Interloper that would deserve it's own preset difficulty. Please don't point to the custom sandbox at this point. I know it's there, and I've been using it extensively, and yes also for this exact purpose, but many people would prefer a "well balanced" experience that fits their profile rather than patching together their own. I outlined this before once: basically Stalker-strength wolves with Interloper-level tracking capabilities, and in reduced numbers as found in Interloper, with Interloper loot scarceness but tools, weapons and rare instances of premium clothing such as the Expedition Parka, with Interloper weather, but the Stalker cold progression, and Interloper consumption and recovery metrics, but Stalker-Level loot decay and punitive mechanics (such as Cabin Fever and Parasites). Basically taking the edge out of Interloper, while also doing away with the Stalker-Style wolf swarming and still offering a "full game" in that you get to use, albeit rarely, every item in the game. But that's just my 2 cents on the side on this.

This.

On 7/3/2019 at 11:19 AM, UpUpAway95 said:

If a player wants to just use the pistol and not use a rifle or a bow, that's a choice they should be able to make... not encumbered by your sensibilities over there being some ammo lying around in the world.

Revolver/Bow looks like a great road combo. Total mass of weapons is half that of the rifle. 

Edited by stratvox
dumbth
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

....as for the bigger picture :)

I don't know. If the timberwolves really do work together as an effective hunting pack it may be that you'll want its fast firing. The ideal behaviour for a pack of wolves would be something like this:

• The entire pack is pretty evenly spread over the region that are accessible to it (i.e two packs in TWM one south one north).
  • When a timberwolf identifies quarry, they bark to alert the other wolves.
  • The other wolves start moving towards the bark.
  • The alerter starts following the player at a distance. Periodically they bark to alert the pack to the new location.
  • When enough of them arrive they attack. Say, minimum four? Other wolves will join in as they arrive.
  • They attack in a coordinated manner to bring you down. If you get to this stage  you are in big big trouble.

How to avoid the pack attack? If you're armed, kill the alerter wolf immediately and make tracks so you're not there when the rest of the pack starts showing up... or if you've got a good position to rain death from wait for them to kill as many of them as possible.

If you're cornered by a pack, the revolver starts looking really really good... and I can see how those scenarios could result in eating a LOT of bullets... esp. if they've considered how much has to happen to deter the pack, as well as any individual timberwolf.

If you're talking stalker (aka "wolf city") it makes it more stalkerish... way more stalkerish. I mean, stalker is all about the wolves (which is why I don't really play it) and something like what I've outlined above will significantly add to the challenge of the maps that get timberwolves. 

Also, think about it... you're cruising through somewhere in the early evening out in the fields and you pick up a timberwolf alert (you hear the alert barks from nearby). It's keeping its distance, and you need to shut it up and get away from it. If you're weaponless, you need to get away and hopefully indoors post haste. Imagine, you're run-walking to get away and you keep hearing the patter of their paws and the yips they're using to tell their buddies where you are. That'll be an amazing tension builder.

You have a revolver. You finally spot the alerting wolf and turn the hunter into the hunted. If you get in there and hit them they run away whimpering. It's time to get a move on and hope you can avoid the wolves coming to look for their friend. Still lots of tension.

I'm intrigued because I really want to see better behaviour from the wildlife... and because one thing that would really help the late game be more interesting is to have the player as an apex predator in an (undoubtedly vastly oversimplified) ecosystem.

Another question I have is... will the wolves we've come to know and ... well, love  o.O... still be there? How will they interact with the timberwolves? How about the timberwolves with the deer? If the pack goes after herds of deer using the technique I've outlined above, it won't be long before they hunt them to extinction... or that the deer will have to have an insanely high respawn rate to keep up. Testing the interaction of all the animal mechanics must be insane.

Overall, I'll end this by saying that we've seen major overhauls and interesting buffs already (birch bark, well fed, etc) and they've handled them incredibly well from a gameplay perspective, so I've got a lot of patience to see what happens when Ep. 3 comes out and timberwolves (hopefully! oplease oplease) get introduced into sandbox. They've (i.e. Hinterland and Raph) have earned a lot of trust from me when it comes to not fscking up the game.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stratvox said:

If you're cornered by a pack, the revolver starts looking really really good... and I can see how those scenarios could result in eating a LOT of bullets... esp. if they've considered how much has to happen to deter the pack, as well as any individual timberwolf.

I'd like to add that the plenty of ammo may be about ensuring a player can arm themselves quickly because they don't have to go far from anywhere to find ammunition. Smart timberwolves in all the major regions could profoundly change esp. the stalker experience.

Guest jeffpeng

It's sort of interesting how you all outline this @stratvox, but admit that you don't play Stalker that much yourself. I like the thoughts you put into this, and the outcome you outline seems less .... undesireable to what I am afraid is going to happen. But then again that's my pessimistic self taking over, I hope. (What a self-contradicting statement :D)

Maybe my biggest Problem with this is that I've been stuck in my Interloper mindset too long. I like the idea that the player is far from the apex predator, but actually has to outsmart their opponent in order to overcome it, and very carefull chose their moment. I really would be interested to see data on how many people actually play Interloper regularly, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see it rank in the single digit precentages.

But I guess there is a reason why there is no revolver in Interloper. And I'm curious if we will see Timberwolves in Interloper - and actually if we will see them in Sandbox at all. As you pointed out adding them to something like Stalker could seriously upset the balance - maybe to the better, but I'm afraid to the worse. In my personal opinion Stalker already is mostly about mawing down entire wolf populations, and I really dislike that. On the other side of the spectrum a successful +100 day Interloper run might never actually see a struggle at all, mostly because they are that deadly if they happen, so you subsequently avoid wolves most of the time.

Just a few more loosely arranged thoughts on that topic.

10 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Maybe my biggest Problem with this is that I've been stuck in my Interloper mindset too long. I like the idea that the player is far from the apex predator, but actually has to outsmart their opponent in order to overcome it, and very carefull chose their moment.

That's why I said "AN apex predator", not "THE apex predator". Once you get weapons (rifle, bow) you become one of the predators... but not the only one, and of course one way of handling being one of the apex predators is by taking care of the competition... and that goes just as much for your peers (wolves) as it does for you.

Also, think about how nutso it will be if there are four or five wolves on a map that will come after you when you're spotted on interloper: it's gonna get tight.

One thing's for sure... real pack predatory behaviour on the part of wolves will profoundly change the balance of terror in all experience modes outside of pilgrim. If they get it right wolves will change from an "oh look, you're bringing me snacks" to "oh sugar I gotta get out of here".

@Tbone555,

The good news is that this game is all about player choice.  If we feel like we have too many rounds... we can simply chose not to use them.  We can leave cartridges that cross our personal threshold of "too many" in an out of the way spot we are not likely to come back to.  As another option if we feel we "enough" rounds and we keep finding more, we can just not pick them up...  :)

As I've often said, we don't need to change the game if we can simply choose not to play the game that particular way... if there is an item or method in the game we don't like,  we can simply choose not to do or use that particular thing.

I say to each their own, and since it's a single player game... lets let everyone play the way they want to. 

[Addendum: I am only offering my point of view on the ideas that have been put forward, and I offer it for consideration in contrast to those ideas.  I am not interested in getting into an argument about it - I am by no means attacking anyone's point of view; only trying to express my own.]

Edited by ManicManiac
Edited for clarity...

I spent almost all of my first 2,000 hours of Survival in The Long Dark learning and surviving in Voyageur. I have spent my last 552 hours in Stalker.

It's funny that I've seen people stating the Stalker is about mowing down tons of wolves to keep things in check. I myself used to talk refer to the wolves in Stalker as human seeking missiles. But as I've played Stalker I've actually found that I've learned to avoid wolves rather than engage in combat with them. I certainly never spend time or resources culling the wolf population.

Generally my goal is to get Bow(s) and arrows made ASAP...and then lay my rifle aside and use the Bow Revolver combination. The moment I heard we were getting a Revolver I knew that would be my team up of choice.

As for the amount and distribution of revolver ammunition it varies vastly with each Stalker Sandbox I've started since Steadfast Ranger. In my current recording box I didn't find my revolver until after surviving a month in game...and then I found 2 others two days later in DP. I've found that the amount of ammo has never become laughably over the top, and to be entirely honest I'd rather have plenty of ammo because I'm not nearly always accurate with my shots.

• Like 1

Guest jeffpeng
16 hours ago, RossBondReturns said:

I'm not nearly always accurate with my shots.

I feel ya. The fun thing is I'm actually a pretty good shot with one-handed firearms in real life. But I just can't seem to hit anything with the revolver.

16 hours ago, RossBondReturns said:

I certainly never spend time or resources culling the wolf population.

I guess it makes a huge deal where you are coming from. I just know that when I try to "relax" in Stalker because Interloper is a bit nerve wrecking for me right now I always end up running into more wolves than I would care for. Maybe that's because Stalker has Wolves that Interloper doesn't have, and muscle memory makes me turn all the wrong ways. But sure, you can avoid them (except the urban warfare simulation that is downtown Milton, maybe).