We Need Your Help!

Raphael van Lierop

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I'm new to your game and to this forum, but I'm addicted to your game. I Love it! I learned about the game from an unlikely source, "What you missed in history class," it's an American podcast. One of the hosts is also a fan of the game and mentioned it in passing during a podcast and it peaked my curiosity, so I did a internet search and now I'm hooked. You may want to look into this podcast because they do advertisement too:)

Keep up the lovely work. I like to just wandering and enjoying the scenery sometimes. Please keep the female protagonist because "girl gamers" get sick of players guys. Also, consider a joystick interface.

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm new to your game and to this forum, but I'm addicted to your game. I Love it! I learned about the game from an unlikely source, "What you missed in history class," it's an American podcast. One of the hosts is also a fan of the game and mentioned it in passing during a podcast and it peaked my curiosity, so I did a internet search and now I'm hooked. You may want to look into this podcast because they do advertisement too:)

Keep up the lovely work. I like to just wandering and enjoying the scenery sometimes. Please keep the female protagonist because "girl gamers" get sick of players guys. Also, consider a joystick interface.

Thanks!

Awesome! I'll have to give that podcast a listen.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the game. Thanks for playing and welcome to the forums!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I'll be happy to try and help out with this. I'm part of a few gaming communities and have been trying to get people to check the game out. I normally try to avoid the Steam General since it's like dealing with an ocean of trolls and ill-mannered children, but for your team I'll gladly deal with it and try to migrate some people this way. Thank you for all your hard work!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a review as 2nd most popular for three whole days. I showed all my friends, in a fit of excitement.

I will try and get my TLD-playing friends over onto here, because they're all a bit more steam-oriented.

• 1 month later...

Review posted on Steam!

Check it out here!

For those who are curious and don't want to go over to Steam, here's the review! (Under the spoiler tags because it's long.)

Spoiler

310 hours dedicated to this game so far and growing! This game has been one of the most entertaining and immersive games I've played yet and this is just the sandbox. I can only imagine what the final, released version will be like with the story included! This review for now will focus on the early access version of the game.

I can't think of any other games like it. A quiet apocolypse has taken place, technology as we know it is gone. The lights went out, never to return. How long can you survive against nature and everything it has to throw at you? There are no zombies. There are no mutants or aliens. Just you, nature and the need to survive. Scavenge what you can from the abandoned regions, hunt for food and find a warm place to spend the night. Just be aware that beyond the safety of your fireglow, green eyes flash in darkness, waiting for you to give them a chance to send you into the long dark. No one is coming to save you, so you'd best be ready to save yourself.

Features:
=======

+No Zombies, no supernatural, no aliens, no occult! Just nature, and it's brutally unforgiving.

+ A gorgeous art style fairly reminiscent of the Group of Seven. Iconic, refreshing and engaging, it's a nice break from photorealism and proof that games can be beautiful and immersive without being overly heavy on realism.

+ Three modes of difficulty with three vastly different challenges for all types.

+ Crafting of the basic survival needs, like torches and bows, and animal skin clothing

+ Survival simulation with a unnervingly believable feel. Monitor your temperature, hunger, thirst and energy levels. Think carefully about your food choices and plan your routes carefully. even a small injury could lead to much worse if left ignored.

+ Challenge modes for those who work better under pressure. Added in the newest update, these challenge modes give seasoned players a few scenarios to complete. For now there are 2. One involves escaping a relentless bear intent on ending you. The second is an attempt to race from one region to another, retrieve an item and make it to the goal before time runs out.

+Comfortably playable with Mouse and Keyboard or with a controller.

+Extremely well done voiceovers for the basic sandbox characters.

+An out of this world sound experience. Every little sound you hear, from the wind in the trees to the clattering of old shutters, has a purpose and has been meticulously planned. A crow flying overhead may alert you to an approaching storm, a strange clang or clatter in a whiteout can point the way to safety. A growl in the darkness can sound your doom. All of this atmospheric and immersive sound is punctuated by music tracks that serve to elevate the feel of the moment. Rather than play constantly in the background, these short musical interludes kick in to emphasize something and just as quickly fade out again. (The coming of night, the sun rising, A particularly lonely place, or a Change of weather.)
+The game offers no hand-holding. You are dropped in the world and left to figure it out. You will die many times before it starts to make sense, but each time you fail, you get a better idea of how you can apply what you've learned to the next run.

It should be noted that the only real drawback aside fomr the learning curve to the game is the fact that death is permanent. When you die you start again from the beginning, but even that makes for good compelling gameplay as it pushes you to be more careful about how you go about your survival.

Early access means the game is still undergoing serious developement, but even in this current form, it's hard to believe it's an alpha. It's polished and professional with smooth gameplay and challenge that's well worth the full price. If you like sandbox/survival games, this is a great choice. If you like to simply play the game at your own pace and observe the quiet apocolypse, this game is still a great choice. And when story mode releases, I am certain those who like to play games for the storyline will also love it too. Hinterland is making a great first impression with The Long Dark.

A solid 9/10, most likely a 10 once it hits release.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One way to get people here is to get all the Maps over here. Might be a bit of a sacrilege, but from a search perspective, "long dark map" points to a ton of posts on Steam still.  The maps by whiteberry_toarda are pretty good.

Im a big fan of this community, but with the current state of these forums, I have a hard time recommending them. TWICE now, I have lost 30 to 45 minutes of carefully thought out typing because of this new Ddos thing. When you press submit, it takes you to that damn 5 second checking screen and your post is gone. 

21 minutes ago, TROY said:

Im a big fan of this community, but with the current state of these forums, I have a hard time recommending them. TWICE now, I have lost 30 to 45 minutes of carefully thought out typing because of this new Ddos thing. When you press submit, it takes you to that damn 5 second checking screen and your post is gone. 

Hello TROY, thanks for your post here and I'm sorry you lost your work.

I'm not sure if it's the extra Cloudflare support or if your session simply timed out. But I will see if I can find out if they are connected. The Cloudflare support is making the forums more stable, not less, so it'd be a shame if it was also interrupting members' work. Thanks for your patience. 

@Patrick Carlson

I've had the same issues (cloudflare re-check followed by text loss) multiple times last week when I tried to post messages while I travelled by train. Never happened on my stationary PC at home (or laptop at work) so far, only when I try to submit messages with my mobile phone while I'm on the train.

(The problem isn't caused by a loss of the internet connection per se as far as I can tell, but rather Cloudflare checking my browser anew over and over again every few minutes while I'm moving.)

On 11 December 2014 at 6:46 PM, Raphael van Lierop said:

While this is our official community, the majority of our new players are flowing through the Steam community. It can be a pretty interesting place.

We're trying to encourage people to migrate from Steam, to these forums, because this is the heart of our community and we believe this is the best place to nurture the kind of positive, mature community we want to build around The Long Dark, and all our future games at Hinterland.

So, we need your help to recruit people from the Steam forums, and get them in here.

We also would love to see some cross-pollination of the communities -- some of you spending time on Steam as well to help educate people about the game and to maybe "soften" a bit of the discourse, which tends to be a bit more animated (shall we say) than we typically see here.

Steam also has a Reviews system, where players can offer a binary thumbs up/thumbs down rating for the game. Many of the ratings -- good or bad -- are highly useful and carefully thought out. Some feel quite careless and arbitrary. We believe that carefully thought out reviews that articulate clear points can provide the greatest benefit to people visiting the Steam page who might look to the Reviews to help them make their purchasing decision.

So if you have any thoughts about the game -- either positive or negative -- it would be helpful if you would take the time to share it on Steam, in the Reviews.

Here is a link to the Steam Discussion Page for The Long Dark: http://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/

Here's where you can post a Review: http://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/reviews/

To recap:

* This is the heart of the community around The Long Dark, so please help us recruit from Steam into here

* Please help us educate Steam players about the game; many of them are new and coming from more conventional survival games and don't necessarily understand what makes the game special

* If you have time and are so inclined, writing a Steam review can be very helpful for us!

Heartfelt thanks, and on behalf of the entire team at Hinterland.

- Raphael

We should just spam the steam forums until they come here

21 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Hello TROY, thanks for your post here and I'm sorry you lost your work.

I'm not sure if it's the extra Cloudflare support or if your session simply timed out. But I will see if I can find out if they are connected. The Cloudflare support is making the forums more stable, not less, so it'd be a shame if it was also interrupting members' work. Thanks for your patience. 

@Patrick Carlson & @Scyzara  I have found a workaround to this problem. Simply highlight and "copy" your text before submitting, then if the browser check kicks in, and takes you back to the blank form, you can simply "paste" and press submit again. I'm sure this is being caused by some form of timer, which kicks in after a certain amount of time without any input, i.e. clicking on things to go from page to page, etc. 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Maybe it is an old post, but as a steam user, the only way for me to meet this game was through steam, I am from Argentina and here you dont have where to buy this kind of games (Early access), It is not the only one that I have in that condition.. The community there is more like solve some technicals issues and guides.. if you need more you just end up here like me. The reviews system is a perfect tool, I never buy a game whitout read reviews, I dont care about the score, just the reviews, and not all reviews, steam show your hours playing the game, so you know what kind of review are you reading.

best rgds

Archived