Battery!

Ice Hole

Place your battery related material here!

Last night was a weird and Long Dark night. 

screen_ce52e6f9-faa8-472d-8047-cce90cd9ce91_hi.thumb.png.f2d6bf1475617c3bd8376cc06c1e22e6.png

Pranking the paperboy.

Apparently this is already a thing on the internet. 

77856708-battery-character-with-mailbox-isolated-on-white-background.jpg

screen_3fc904f8-3d35-4145-8b9b-186a8c535e8a_hi.thumb.png.495aa4ec7ed1a5478e321856f08c04d1.png

When a rock hits Battery a metallic sound is produced.

• Upvote 12

That song brings back some bad memories,  Used The  Napshake service to download an MP3 and after that I was hooked.  Next thing you know I was downloading clothes, bikes, cars, boats and other merchandise I could never afford.  Spent the next fifteen  years running from the IP cops.  I think the trail has gone cold now.

Want to know what happens when you have nine batteries on a table. 

Plumbous.thumb.png.b87b9921fd82251d74be217369f14301.png

Nothing.

• Upvote 6

The Battery is the most over looked item in The Long Dark.  The model is around for long time and so far has no use.  Or does it?

The Long Dark still has unsolved mysteries as mentioned somewhere on this forum by the developers.

screen_ee07adc8-883c-437b-99c7-b7fadc62ed4c.thumb.png.d41b878cb838e00577b6bef1c294a88a.png

Is Battery really just some useless item that has existed for all this time without being removed. 

Suspect most what is least suspected.🤔

• Upvote 2

Boy, I wish I could remember who posted the screenshot on the Steam Community Hub, ages ago, of a battery on top of a burning pot belly stove, and one of the QGS, with batteries lining the shelves in front of the cash register. I think that post was the first time I became aware that some batteries could be taken out from under the hood, and placed elsewhere. Too many years ago now for me to try to search that thread or those screenshots out. But it was an eye-opener.

But there has to be some future plan for them, or why would they make them interact-able?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

and one of the QGS, with batteries lining the shelves in front of the cash register.

How would that have been possible without using a mod or save editor?  We can only RMB the batteries around.  It's not possible to take them into your inventory, in order to carry them through an area transition.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

But there has to be some future plan for them, or why would they make them interact-able?

How do we know for certain they do not have a use?

1 hour ago, ajb1978 said:

How would that have been possible without using a mod or save editor?  We can only RMB the batteries around.  It's not possible to take them into your inventory, in order to carry them through an area transition.

Moving those nine batteries around was a pain.  Only one can be carried at a time.  Every time I checked the time of day or inventory or character the battery slips out of my hands and teleports back to the last place it was placed.  Learned to set the battery down more often after number four. 

Was trying to test out what happens when getting a sprain while carrying a battery.  The battery position was in front of me before the sprain and after a reload.  This is similar to the behaviour of placing campfires and sprains.  

No sprinting either so made sure I was at the ten kilogram weight to enable fast walking.  Froze most of the time.

1 hour ago, Ice Hole said:

How do we know for certain they do not have a use?

We haven't found it yet, or it has not been implemented in the game... yet. that's why I said :

8 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Purely wasted time for the devs if they made them able to be interacted with, if they have or had no future plans for them in the game. 

1 hour ago, ThePancakeLady said:

We haven't found it yet, or it has not been implemented in the game... yet. that's why I said :

Purely wasted time for the devs if they made them able to be interacted with, if they have or had no future plans for them in the game. 

There's this thing, it's called Story Mode. There's also this guy, his name is @Raphael van Lierop and he said there are 2 more major aurora based game mechanics that aren't in the game yet. But are planned. Here's hoping for Episode 3!

• Upvote 1

I think it'd be interesting if the car batteries were used as a sort of key item.  Like you encounter a maglocked door that can only be opened during an aurora...but the problem is there's live wires all over the place so you can't get to it.  The solution: Bring a car battery when there isn't an aurora, to power the lock and safely open the door.

Battery weight sure surprised me too. 

Battery has different levels of decay.

screen_b67998fa-0766-446c-8fb2-ce795f30419d.thumb.png.dfa06af5101487c59d03e0a8a8fd4bb2.png

Wonder what the decay rate is?

I'm guessing that, like lamp fuel, it starts with a random condition within a certain range, and probably decays very slowly after that.

Guest jeffpeng
3 hours ago, Ice Hole said:

Battery is invisible when in backpack inventory.

Probably because it has no inventory model.

36 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Maybe it's a Lithium-ion battery :)

yeah lol .... that really saves on weight.

3 hours ago, Ice Hole said:

Battery weight sure surprised me too. 

Battery has different levels of decay.

Wonder what the decay rate is?

How did you get them in your inventory?  LMB does nothing for me, I can only reposition with RMB.

28 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

How did you get them in your inventory?  LMB does nothing for me, I can only reposition with RMB.

One does not just command Battery to scurry into your dirty backpack.

[insert appropriate hobbit meme]

You and Battery must get to know each other.  You must nurture a relationship and speak reassuringly while carrying Battery.   Make Battery your friend.  Then just as you reach your wits end. 

Poof! 

Battery joins your party.

edit:  Over the past few days I have been experimenting with Battery.  Not to spoil my inquisition knowledge gained externally was precluded.  The screenshot that ThePanckaLady talked bout was all the fuel I needed.  Knowing it was possible drove my discovery.

Edited by Ice Hole
  • Upvote 1