DAY 2 (spoilers)

reginaphalange

My master plan: 20,000 calories and 30 coal in the Trapper's Homestead. If the building becomes unsafe Day 4, I'll walk thirty feet to the transition zone cave. Either way, I have ~48 hours of fuel on hand and well over a week of food. No rifle, but I don't plan to be outside unless I need to sprint for the cave.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I should be ready for anything.  Camp Office is still main base, got that cave up the hill by the Lookout set up as a fallback point.  Chopped a bunch of firewood and stocked both locations, and my survivor is packing enough firepower to wage a small war.  Alright Day 3, let's see what you're made of...

I've spent my entire 2 hours today without seeing a wolf. Only semi-deliberately.

Started out from Rabbit Grove in Coastal Highway, then followed the frozen stream collecting cattails and coal up to the railway; checked the trailer by the collapsed tunnel and the nearby body (flare and candybar, thankyouverynuchindeed!), Then quickly nipped down to the hut in the clearing just below there to collect a recycled can and make some water; then back up to the tracks and through the tunnel to Raven Falls. Thick fog and near zero visibility crossing the Bridge Of Hell on my hands and knees one inch at a time, then to the cave by the railway siding, which generously donated a climbing rope to my Ravine Basin project. Fog turned to winds then blizzard just in time for me to crawl across the log over the Ravine, then harvested the 2 deer carcasses and cooked and ate them in the cave. Had no bedroll with me and was very fatigued by then, so started cooking up water and coffees, and meanwhile searched the river for more cattails (lots!) And the crashed trail trucks for... A prybar, painkillers and a wool hat. Next, back to the cave to ditch excess gear and down the coffees, before decending into the black abyss. Collected the flare gun and only 2 flares, plus more painkillers, from the railcar, cattails and sticks from the river, and mushrooms, rosehips and deer meat from outside the cave. Slept soundly in the leafy bed from midnight to midnight, and now I'm ready to climb up and, I guess, meet the dam(n) wolves. But that took all the two hours. Want to be inside the dam for start of play on Day 3.

29 minutes ago, Khan_Drichthyes said:

I made it to the jack-o-lantern at the watchtower ruins.  Nice haul.  I had to kill a wolf on the way, and his friend on the return.   I didn't harvest them, as I was concerned that I would attract more.   I need to find a good place to set up a nearby snow shelter, in case the tower burns down. 

Would the fenced in area at Dam be a good place to hole up? 

Just thinking within the confines of what I perceive the game as being capable of doing in its current state, I don't actually think the buildings are going to burn down.  I mean what happens to players currently in one?  You load up your game the next day to find yourself dead, when you didn't even have a chance to get out of the building?  More likely, I think interior temperatures are going to plummet, and you will no longer be able to count on beds indoors keeping you from freezing.  That would force players to scavenge for firewood, if they hadn't already stockpiled it.  -30C indoors would make even the best dressed characters think twice about going to bed without a fire.

3 minutes ago, riverwalker said:

Would the fenced in area at Dam be a good place to hole up? 

If the wolf spawns remain normal on Day 3, it should be.  I set up a snow shelter there on my way to the Lookout Tower, just in case.  I've got a bad feeling that Fluffy will come back to life inside the dam, though.

1 hour ago, ajb1978 said:

More likely, I think interior temperatures are going to plummet, and you will no longer be able to count on beds indoors keeping you from freezing.  That would force players to scavenge for firewood, if they hadn't already stockpiled it.  -30C indoors would make even the best dressed characters think twice about going to bed without a fire.

Yeah, but who is going to go to bed?  You're just wasting firewood super fast in Real-Time.  Best strategy is probably going to be find an outdoor fire protected from the wind.   I doubt straddling an outdoor-fire while standing indoor threshold (Cave) will be necessary (way too advanced).  Does a fishing hut get an outdoor bonus?

I have had a lot of Bad Ideas in my life .... using the Quonset as a base is right up there with the worst of them. 

I did it because of the indoor fire and craft table. 

Basically i have to go out and shoot a wolf at the back door, light a fire and harvest it, then run back inside so i dont starve. 

So dont hole up in the Quonset.  Maybe i should get some flares ready and run away.......but where to?

6 hours ago, Klobberthon said:

Man that would be brutal. RIP all the survivors hoarding loot in a safehouse :D

...wait that's me

Because I'm an untrusting soul I loaded literally everything I cared about onto Pumpkin Pie before logging off at the end of day 1.  It was only 90 lbs. :D I'm going to do this again tonight.  Meanwhile - I need to go and kill the left and right sleeves of my coat.

8 minutes ago, stapeliad said:

So dont hole up in the Quonset.  Maybe i should get some flares ready and run away.......but where to?

If I were in your predicament, I would make a break for Mystery Lake on a clear night when you can spot wolves on the ice from a great distance.  Use the fishing huts for cover if needed.  Make for the stream that goes uphill, grabbing cattails as you go, and more cattails from the raven falls ravine.  There's a couple deer carcasses on the ground you can butcher there too, for a little extra protein in your diet.  Then maybe just hang out in the Ravine, or go for that fenced-in area at the dam.  I found quite a few candy bars in lockers and drawers and stuff in the dam itself.  The 2500 calories applies to all candy bars, whether they're in a dish outside a door, or spawning as random loot.

Edit: Oh and the dam is the motherlode of reclaimed wood, so you would be absolutely set on firewood.

1 minute ago, stapeliad said:

I might do that. 

The wolves are scared of flares.... right?

If you throw one at just the right time, it might scare them off.  Like when they're right at the point where they're about to break into a sprint, but haven't yet started charging.  But crossing the ice, distance and vigilance will be your best defense.  Steer around the log sort.  Wolves can hide behind those logs and you don't see them until they're right on top of you.  Basically I'd just use the fishing huts as rest stops.  If you pick up a wolf pursuer, pop a flare and walk away casually.  Periodically look back at it (I'm not sure if that's necessary but I always do out of habit) just so it knows you're aware of it.  And calmly proceed to the next fishing hut.  Once you're inside, the wolves lose interest.  And you can use that lit flare to start a quick fire if you need to warm up some coffee or tea or whatever.  Just exit the hut crouched so you don't draw attention right away, and have a chance to assess where the threats are.

Basically if you try to go via the ravine, you assume all the risk right up front.  Once you make it to the ravine, you're home free.  (Just don't fall off the trestle.)  The back way through PV is longer and goes through wolf territory a few times.  But whichever you go with, good luck!

Talk about weird things. I'm still at my base on Signal Hill. I was doing the usual routine of going out and start a fire to make water and quaff some hot coffee or tea, but there was snow and wind, so I went back inside. Slept 5 hours. I go out again, and all is calm and the moon is out. I walk again to my watching point to take a look at the landscape below, and this appears. I swear it wasn't there before. The cache contained a moose satchel (!), 2 chocolate bars, 2 flares, a pair of good-condition climbing socks, and a firelog. [Edited to add: and a lump of coal as well!] All these items seem to be a hint: stay warm and prepare to travel. Heh.

–Rick

Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 02.10.31.png

1 hour ago, stapeliad said:

I have had a lot of Bad Ideas in my life .... using the Quonset as a base is right up there with the worst of them. 

I did it because of the indoor fire and craft table. 

Basically i have to go out and shoot a wolf at the back door, light a fire and harvest it, then run back inside so i dont starve. 

I did the same thing.  I'm getting ready to make a go for Mystery Lake Office.  I hope I make it.  If not .... I'll still start another character and play through. 

Archived