DAY 2 (spoilers)

reginaphalange

I made it to ML, you can do it, too... I am done looting the dam and am contemplating the best way to the camp office...

Good luck, you can do it!!

Also... loot in ML really is awful.  Barely anything.  I'm so jealous of all you players that got so much good stuff! 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m to the Ravine... longest crouch ever crossing the lake. Went around the back of Jackrabbit in dense snow but still decent visibility.. hit weak ice a few times and backed off. Came out at the fishing cabins, crossed the bridge and followed the creek up. The campground had a big fat juicy pumpkin that I had to ignore as it just wasn’t worth the risk.., considering the locals. Hopefully find a bit of coal on the way through the Ravine.. my ultimate goal being Lake Overlook.. but time may not allow it.

13 minutes ago, Cr41g said:

my ultimate goal being Lake Overlook.. but time may not allow it.

Is there a reason for choosing the Overlook instead of the Cave above Dave's Clearing?  I just moved from Trappers to above Dave's, but am surprised at the meager amount of wood available.  Maybe Overlook is better because you can walk with wood to the cave? (I always have trouble with sprains on that route, though)

27 minutes ago, NardoLoopa said:

Is there a reason for choosing the Overlook instead of the Cave above Dave's Clearing?  I just moved from Trappers to above Dave's, but am surprised at the meager amount of wood available.  Maybe Overlook is better because you can walk with wood to the cave? (I always have trouble with sprains on that route, though)

I did most of my 500 day run outside.. mostly at Overlook Cave.. it’s familiar and comfortable enough.. wood spawns fairly abundantly.. Normally there is no wolf traffic.. but depending on how day 3 is with the Aurora wolves.. if Hinterland has made any changes.. there is a comfortable ledge 1 rope down if needed

That’s it for tonight... not a bad run all the way from the Quonset..sadly I have not brought any wood with me as I didn’t have room.. I did manage to find 4 bits of coal in the Ravine on the way so day 3 will consist of wood gathering during the aurora.. should be interesting 

Same here!

I made it from Quonset, but wasted around 10 rounds scaring off the wolves along the way.  I managed to kill two on my final leg of the trip to Lake Office. 

Learning something new everyday, from just being on this forum!  I had no idea there was a cave above the ledge camping spot!  I guess the last time I checked out that are was last year about this time.  At that time, if I recall correctly, it was a new spot added to the map. 

At any rate, I'll be stocking wood in the cave at Overlook, and chopping up every bit of wood inside Lake Office to haul up to the Cave, should the need arise.  If not, I'll stay in Lake Office for the duration and travel out to pick off the random wolf for meat and furs.

What I'll probably end up doing is hauling half of my wood up there to Lookout Cave, and leave the remainder of my supplies outside Lake Office, after completing tomorrow's required time.  

Just in case there is a 'fire burned down my lodge' situation.  Which I'm finding it harder and harder to believe.  

Once again I put myself in a compromised position for the start of the next day.

I fully expect my Dam trailer to be surrounded by red-eyed green-coated demons when I log on tomorrow. But, in a way, I'm looking forward to that - I didn't see a single wolf for the whole of Day 2, due to spending the vast majority of my available time traversing Ravine. And I have the flashlight!

All Mystery Lake bar the ground floor of the Dam is unlooted, as is all Pleasant Valley and all of Milton, so I've got plenty to explore! Bring it!

19 hours ago, ppedro said:

I have noticed that:

• - Wolves don't seem to bleed from arrows or from knife.

They do die from knife wounds, though.. as I learned by almost dying myself (got taken down from 100% to 5% in just one attack, then was at 1% by the time I'd gotten both wounds bandaged).

13 hours ago, Yaki said:

From the Steam forums. So hibernating might not work :)

steam_forum.JPG

13 hours ago, Pillock said:

On Day 4, there is something called "Fire".

Perhaps all buildings are burnt down after the end of Day 3?

Suddenly I'm very glad I decided to set up base at Trappers.. relocating to the nearby cave should be pretty simple.

Now I have something to do.. yay!

19 hours ago, Morrick said:

I waited for a moment of clear skies and ventured out the Radio Control Hut. I wanted to get a panoramic look at the valley below and the area around the Pleasant Valley Farmstead, hoping to assess wolf activity from above. Oddly, no movement detected. Wolves should be big enough to be seen from here. I guess you trigger them as you move down there. Still undecided about that. I have a rifle, but I'm a slow, terrible shooter. Wishing we had resupply drops mysteriously fall from the sky like on LOST. :D

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 17.30.11.png

10 hours ago, Morrick said:

Talk about weird things. I'm still at my base on Signal Hill. I was doing the usual routine of going out and start a fire to make water and quaff some hot coffee or tea, but there was snow and wind, so I went back inside. Slept 5 hours. I go out again, and all is calm and the moon is out. I walk again to my watching point to take a look at the landscape below, and this appears. I swear it wasn't there before. The cache contained a moose satchel (!), 2 chocolate bars, 2 flares, a pair of good-condition climbing socks, and a firelog. [Edited to add: and a lump of coal as well!] All these items seem to be a hint: stay warm and prepare to travel. Heh.

–Rick

Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 02.10.31.png

I was in the PV Farmstead since the end of Day 1, my plan was to stay hunkered here til the end of 4DON cause I have enough supplies to do it. But I decide to go to Signal Hill after you found a JOL there. I'm here now and I found a JOL too :).

About the wolves, I saw at least 3 of them in the orchard when I leave the house, but like you I can't see them from up here. So my advice for who wants to go to PV Farmstead is to be careful.

Now I have to go down again because I saw a JOL from up here that I had not seen before.

screen_9ef7efe5-f667-4dc3-98d4-49ef73d1fd30_hi.png

screen_c943d3bd-00be-41c2-8035-2969b9f5af22_hi.png

32 minutes ago, TropicalSurvivor said:

I was in the PV Farmstead since the end of Day 1, my plan was to stay hunkered here til the end of 4DON cause I have enough supplies to do it. But I decide to go to Signal Hill after you found a JOL there. I'm here now and I found a JOL too :).

Really glad I could be of some help! 

33 minutes ago, TropicalSurvivor said:

@Morrick do you still at the Signal Hill? Do you have plans to go somewhere else? I'm a little afraid of Day 4, so I'm thinking about try to go to that cave in Winding River.

I'm still there, yes. 

*unfolds map over the radio console*

But… hmmm… I'm eyeing two nearby caves that are at a relatively short distance. One is unnamed, at the very bottom of the map. The other is marked as "Hilltop Cave", it's near a Hunter's Blind and has a deer carcass right in front of it. I think I'll try venturing out and go to either of these. I don't have a flashlight, and that feels scary even if the trip is short. In regular sandboxes, this area is safe-ish, but with this aurora? *shudder*

Good thing I found a moose satchel in the Jack-O-Lantern cache. I can carry 35kg of stuff this way. Prioritising fuel for the fire, of course.

–Rick

11 minutes ago, Morrick said:

But… hmmm… I'm eyeing two nearby caves that are at a relatively short distance. One is unnamed, at the very bottom of the map. The other is marked as "Hilltop Cave", it's near a Hunter's Blind and has a deer carcass right in front of it. I think I'll try venturing out and go to either of these. I don't have a flashlight, and that feels scary even if the trip is short. In regular sandboxes, this area is safe-ish, but with this aurora? *shudder*

I was going to those caves right now and I found a wolf, be careful.

Archived