How did everyone die?

Velocitii

I was playing a couple hours ago and a thought crossed my mind, I’m not sure if this is covered by any backstory but, how did the corpses that we come across so regularly actually die? They must have died fairly recently before the player finds them because they haven’t decomposed (although cold would prevent that for a while, it wouldn’t forever). They couldn’t have been killed by wildlife because we see corpses indoors, and none are ravaged such as the deer carcasses. They also couldn’t have died directly from the storm, because then surely all life would’ve been lost and we wouldn’t have wolves, bears, moose, deer, crows and rabbits right? I also find it hard to believe that people who are presumably locals to the area (they could be other survivors to the plane crash the player is involved in to begin with but we’ll assume they aren’t) would die from lack of food as a lot of them have fishing or hunting equipment in their houses, or die from the cold as they’re so accustomed to living there they’d know how to survive it. We see people alive in story mode, so other people must have survived the crash, or just survived in general. 

So how did they all end up dead? I’ve played quite a bit of this game, but I’m not sure if this is covered by any of the notes or any other lore. I could be asking a completely useless question, but I haven’t actually seen anything on this.

5 hours ago, Velocitii said:

So how did they all end up dead? I’ve played quite a bit of this game, but I’m not sure if this is covered by any of the notes or any other lore. I could be asking a completely useless question, but I haven’t actually seen anything on this.

The beauty about this game is that every character has their own story- you are but one character who is taking part in the story of time and who will die, one way or another. You are like all the other people who have become corpses in the Long Dark.

It’s impossible to say who died of what because there are so many reasons: you could be dead from thirst, malnutrition or from the ravages of nature itself. The beauty of the Long Dark is that creativity of story is permitted to flow free :)

A few definitely Overdosed on painkillers, some were ravaged by animals like max's last stand (they cant add dismembered corpses in a teen rated game I believe). Some got lost in a cave.  Others seemed to have died from fighting other humans. Some from car crashes. Most just froze to death. A couple fell from high places as well. 

1) Just because you have fishing/hunting equipment and know how to use it doesn't necessarily mean you can find enough food to survive. You could be the most skilled archer for miles, but if the deer aren't there, you are SOL

2) Just because you are "accustomed" to the cold while living a modern 21st century existence doesn't mean you would be able to survive getting dropped back into the Iron Age.

3) Just because the game presents medication and treatments as working 100% effectively 100% of the time doesn't mean that is how it works in 'reality'. (the same can be said about many other mechanics in the game, actually)

In 'reality', antibiotics aren't 100% effective. Antiseptics aren't either. In fact, one of the hard and fast rules of bushcraft survival is "You will have a wound develop an infection, no ifs, ands, or buts about it". At some point, through some source, a wound will get infected. You cannot keep wounds 100% clean 100% of the time......Which is why proper hygiene is so important in bushcraft, as well as risk management.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:43 PM, Velocitii said:

how did the corpses that we come across so regularly actually die?

Good question my friend. Look again at each one, and each will reveal a different story. Also, keep reading the "notes left behind" and you may find helpful clues. For some, they may have been caught in a sudden blizzard, only a short distance from the safety of a shelter or a cave...but could not find their way, and slipped into the long dark.

If this game were to have multiplayer I'd really like to see other players corpses in the game, including their journal and maybe one of their most used items or something like that, maybe on death you get to write a tweet sized message to other survivors who might find your body, then every time you play the game and enter a new region or visit a region you haven't been to in x amount of time, there'd be fresh player corpses to find and read about!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cullam said:

And the one in DP who lost his footing in the cave. Stories everywhere! 

This one is fairly self-explanatory.

screen_cdaa57d2-d84c-493a-aac5-02d099d61783_hi.thumb.png.5ac46ec6697a0c6e4ec4bbded943d3dc.png

Found nearby were one hatchet and a few bits of wood. Methinks the wood used to be part of the supporting structure of the mine tunnel, then some idiot came along and thought he would break it up for firewood.

Nice. I meant the one in DP, where you find a rifle hanging over the edge of a rock ledge, with a bullet at the top, and two more bullets and a body at the bottom. Really looks like he lost his balance, while taking aim at a fluffy friend... 

Archived