Countdown

Admin

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, GorillaDust said:

This is nuts. When the countdown appeared, I was 100% convinced it was for story mode and the game to have its official release. The same argument as everyone else is making: we've never had countdowns for sandbox updates, and the dev team knows that as a community we are frothing at the mouth to play story mode.

I work in marketing, in a similar industry to games. So I expected the countdown to be mostly community-bait to get us talking and speculating for a week or so before the dev team made an announcement with a release date, and then we would see all sorts of other announcements and media around the official game release in the ten days or so leading up to May 4.

But still, we have nothing. Literally nothing. That is crushingly disappointing for either scenario that will play out on Thursday:

1. If they have put up a countdown for a new website release or a future date announcement or a minor sandbox update (no new maps are expected before story mode) then they will get even more disappointment from a fan base that they know are desperate for news about the much-delayed story mode.
  2. If this is a countdown for the full release of the game and story mode, then they have done an abysmal job of marketing it. A countdown clock has only succeeded in generating confused conversation within their existing community. Where are the press releases? The early previews on game websites? The brand ambassadors spreading the gospel about this incredible game? I would hate to see such a perfect game fall flat on release day because they have put 100% of their pre-release marketing efforts into a countdown clock.

So good marketing says that a countdown to another countdown is a good thing? I'm not a marketer, only a simple victim of theirs, but this doesn't sound like a smart move at all. That we have heard nothing seems to be a great marketing move; as I said before, asking the devs to crash their own party seems strange and furthermore, what better way to build anticipation than a ticking clock? Hardly "crushingly disappointing", but incredibly effective, from your point of view I would think. How much effort did this strategy require? Very little for the return.

To judge the countdown at this point as "an abysmal job of marketing" is hyperbolic and again, from one in your field, surprising. All of what you write after this statement has already happened; the game has a large following outside of this forum, has had praise heaped upon it, the countdown clock has been written about on many major game sites and The Word is out there already. There comes a time to put up or shut up; people don't want to be teased time and time again and if this countdown clock is for something minor, something that simply doesn't warrant such a temptation, then we can start calling this tactic abysmal. Until then, withholding judgement on this strategy seems prudent and using the past tense to discuss a future event unwise.

Something this big with a counter isn't  going to be a Sandbox update. Over the life of this game from the very start, the Dev's have had some HUGE breakthroughs and change from adding new elements and even the advancement of Audio.... and never once was there this much hype !!!

This will be something to behold and excite one and all B|

Carbon speaks sense ('victim' - class!) though this is a forum so ranting seems obligatory and passes the time somewhat. But I just realised that the countdown is actually a nice metaphor, at least for sandbox. The game is a countdown - you will eventually expire from dwindling resources or lack of skill/luck. So this gimmick we've all seen before elsewhere is actually kind of poignant here. After a few beers anyway..

A victim indeed! Keeping need and want separate is a true challenge in these times. I honestly loathe marketing but try not to throw all who practice it onto my fire. In this sense, i find the simplicity of the countdown clock refreshing; no trashy 'hype', no vague or provocative, alluring statements, no wordplay or intelligence-insulting, manipulative tactics, just a clock ticking down. It says nothing, yet everything and leaves its meaning veiled in the heads of those who anticipate.

Although I hadn't connected the clock to the game, it is a good allegory. B|

I can honestly say that ive lost a little respect for hinterland over the past month. It wouldve been great to have a podcast or even a new roadmap with some notes, and yet we hear no news except this stupid timer.... even some single sentence acknowledges from the devs. I dunno if this has been planned as some strange sort of hype machine by the community control devs but im tired of this and probably the best thing about thursday is it will be over:|

Never thought i would say that about this game because i love it, but thats how im feeling. They have litterally left us out in the cold on this one :(

1 hour ago, i8turky2 said:

Never thought i would say that about this game because i love it, but thats how im feeling. They have litterally left us out in the cold on this one :(

Talking about allegories... it seems extremely fitting for this particular game to leave its community in the (long) dark. :P

14 hours ago, Carbon said:

So good marketing says that a countdown to another countdown is a good thing? I'm not a marketer, only a simple victim of theirs, but this doesn't sound like a smart move at all. That we have heard nothing seems to be a great marketing move; as I said before, asking the devs to crash their own party seems strange and furthermore, what better way to build anticipation than a ticking clock? Hardly "crushingly disappointing", but incredibly effective, from your point of view I would think. How much effort did this strategy require? Very little for the return.

To judge the countdown at this point as "an abysmal job of marketing" is hyperbolic and again, from one in your field, surprising. All of what you write after this statement has already happened; the game has a large following outside of this forum, has had praise heaped upon it, the countdown clock has been written about on many major game sites and The Word is out there already. There comes a time to put up or shut up; people don't want to be teased time and time again and if this countdown clock is for something minor, something that simply doesn't warrant such a temptation, then we can start calling this tactic abysmal. Until then, withholding judgement on this strategy seems prudent and using the past tense to discuss a future event unwise.

I didn't say that a countdown to a countdown was a good thing. Not sure where you got that.

The only thing I was really saying was that of the two possibilities that the community could think of for the countdown to represent (countdown to a release/development that isn't the story release, or countdown to the story release) there would be disappointment from the community. And in general, in community management, you don't want to do actions that will encourage disappointment by building up expectations and then under-delivering.

I also didn't say that the countdown itself was "an abysmal job of marketing", that was only in the context of the end of the countdown signifying the official game release. If the game and story mode releases tomorrow, then yes - relying 100% on a countdown clock to get the word out would be 'abysmal marketing'.

When writing that stuff above, I had been off the TLD forums and reddit for quite a while, so expected to see more news when I returned. When I first saw the countdown three weeks ago I assumed like most of the community that it could only result in two things per Hinterland's earlier messages - a minor sandbox update or story mode. I am now quite sure that tomorrow we will see a combination of the two. We will see (as @GlasWolf the conveniently timed newbie predicts above) a sandbox update and a full season one reveal with trailer, screenshots, release date, and a whole lot more. That will keep the story mode people happy, the news sites fed with promotional content, and the active community playing and talking postively.

So yes, although I didn't say it in my original post, maybe a countdown to a countdown could be a good thing if done right. :P

I have to ask, what is a "conveniently timed newbie"?

I don't want to argue with you, but if the countdown were for a future release date, a.k.a. another countdown - something you claim to expect that as a marketer - well, this seems to endorse the idea of a countdown to another countdown.

I would agree with your assessment of the strategy as abysmal only if the opposite of what you claim were true. If story mode releases, then I say it was very effective indeed, while you would judge it abysmal. Maybe you're right and this is the difference between us: I am not a marketer and we simply don't think the same. From my prolespective, the countdown clock is very significant and means more than just another announcement.

However, we are both speaking of unknowns and sorry if I put words in your mouth. If i did, then let's call it even for all of the things you've put in my head. ;)

18 minutes ago, Carbon said:

I have to ask, what is a "conveniently timed newbie"?  

I don't want to argue with you, but if the countdown were for a future release date, a.k.a. another countdown - something you claim to expect that as a marketer - well, this seems to endorse the idea of a countdown to another countdown.

I would agree with your assessment of the strategy as abysmal only if the opposite of what you claim were true. If story mode releases, then I say it was very effective indeed, while you would judge it abysmal. Maybe you're right and this is the difference between us: I am not a marketer and we simply don't think the same. From my prolespective, the countdown clock is very significant and means more than just another announcement.

However, we are both speaking of unknowns and sorry if I put words in your mouth. If i did, then let's call it even for all of the things you've put in my head. ;)

In my original post I hadn't said that I expect that the countdown would be for another countdown. I did not expect that. That post was written from the POV of somebody whose initial expectation was that it would be a countdown for story mode release. Then as the date approached, it seemed clear that would not be the case. Or that if it was, that would be insufficient marketing for a game launch in today's gigantic games industry - 'abysmal' was of course a little hyperbolic.

Now that I have seen the suggestion of a combined 'sandbox update plus major content promoting a future story mode release' I think that is what we will see tomorrow. As somebody who works in marketing, this new-to-me suggestion makes the most sense to me based on what I have seen so far. That's all I'm saying. So I am now saying that I think it could be a countdown to another countdown. I am still not saying that would be good marketing, since they knew that this community and especially the Steam community have been feverishly anticipating story mode, and they are setting themselves up to disappoint the masses when tomorrow just delays story mode even further.

If tomorrow we see (1) a sandbox update, (2) a ton of promotional content for story mode chapter 1, and (3) a release date announcement in July or August, you will know what I was implying by 'conveniently timed newbie'. ;) 

Cut to Jack Bauer ignoring a frantically buzzing mobile phone as he stares fixedly at www.thelongdark.com on his computer screen whilst the President is assassinated, his daughter is kidnapped (again) and a WMD goes off in, I don't know, Delaware. For an entire season.  

2 hours ago, togg said:

To beta?? Cmon, if that's the thing it will be called a full release.

ayway the cougar will probably be in it, Ralph (I don't remember the surname sorry :P) tweeted about it.

Damn Togg, I'd forgotten about the cougar. Nice! (If it happens tomorrow, otherwise - future nice).

2 hours ago, togg said:

To beta?? Cmon, if that's the thing it will be called a full release.

ayway the cougar will probably be in it, Ralph (I don't remember the surname sorry :P) tweeted about it.

45 minutes ago, Jytton Lames said:

Damn Togg, I'd forgotten about the cougar. Nice! (If it happens tomorrow, otherwise - future nice).

Was there more said about the cougar besides on the roadmap? Can I get a link? I love the idea of a cougar but had no idea it was anything more than a concept.

------------------

Edit: found some context,

and also this one but the question is hidden and protected.

Dinosaurs. There will be snow machine-riding, chainsaw-wielding dinosaurs who are cold, hungry, exhausted and more than a little upset about this global freezing thing happening....again. Fluffasaurus. Meat for a year and some badass clothing, but ready the antiseptic....this is gonna sting.

On 4/12/2017 at 1:25 AM, admin said:

Logo.thumb.JPG.3bd6b3ffa4039beef3b846ef8bc020e2.JPG

http://www.thelongdark.com/

There will be one more Sandbox update before Story Mode launches. More details about that update will be available soon. The team continues to be hard at work, creating the best experience we can for you. We appreciate your patience while we do so.

- The Hinterland Team

"More details about this update will be available soon."

So if we take the above announcement at face value, the planned sequence of events at that time was clearly this:

1. Announcement of final Sandbox update content;
  2. Final Sandbox update released;
  3. Story Mode launches.

Part 1 of this sequence hasn't happened yet, so I can only conclude that one of the following two things is possible:

1. that the end of the countdown will merely mark the announcement of some details about the Sandbox update, with said update released some time later and the Story Mode later still (and in the process Hinterland have decided to blow convention out of the water by defining "soon" to the nearest minute!); or
  2. they've changed their plans since the countdown started and just decided to keep schtum about it, adapting the countdown's purpose for whatever they would manage to get ready by that date (now being tomorrow).

The only other possibility is that they worded the Countdown announcement really badly and the information given in it was never true in the first place, or that they decided to ditch the pre-release details announcement in order to play mischievous games of silly buggers with us lot! I like to believe that Option 2 is correct, because that allows for something new to be available to actually play tomorrow after all this waiting, while also implying that the communication blackout wasn't originally intended to be the policy.

I know I'm going in circles with the speculation now, but I'm only playing along with the the game we've been set! That's what a ticking timer with no explanation as to its purpose is designed for, surely?

8 minutes ago, Pillock said:

"More details about this update will be available soon."

So if we take the above announcement at face value, the planned sequence of events at that time was clearly this:

1. Announcement of final Sandbox update content;
  2. Final Sandbox update released;
  3. Story Mode launches.

Part 1 of this sequence hasn't happened yet, so I can only conclude that one of the following two things is possible:

1. that the end of the countdown will merely mark the announcement of some details about the Sandbox update, with said update released some time later and the Story Mode later still (and in the process Hinterland have decided to blow convention out of the water by defining "soon" to the nearest minute!); or
  2. they've changed their plans since the countdown started and just decided to keep schtum about it, adapting the countdown's purpose for whatever they would manage to get ready by that date (now being tomorrow).

The only other possibility is that they worded the Countdown announcement really badly and the information given in it was never true in the first place, or that they decided to ditch the pre-release details announcement in order to play mischievous games of silly buggers with us lot! I like to believe that Option 2 is correct, because that allows for something new to be available to actually play tomorrow after all this waiting, while also implying that the communication blackout wasn't originally intended to be the policy.

I know I'm going in circles with the speculation now, but I'm only playing along with the the game we've been set! That's what a ticking timer with no explanation as to its purpose is designed for, surely?

With the way Hinterland frequently handles updates, I imagine "more details ... will be available soon" could easily mean "when we drop the update we'll probably have patch notes or somethin' ", so who knows.

Archived