Countdown

Admin

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, elloco999 said:

Now I really need to get the office cleared and my PC set up again! (We just moved to a new home and the office has so far not been a priority... It's still full of boxes that need unpacking.)

been there done that. we have been in our house for all most two years and still have boxes with stuff in them

On 14.4.2017 at 9:51 AM, elloco999 said:

Excellent news!

But... Is it a count down for the next update (probably) or for the release of story mode (dare I be so optimistic?!)? Can't make that out from the information provided. Very excited either way :)

I'm also not sure about it. I guess it will be a sandbox update and story mode will come later then (maybe August/September). Has anyone further informations?

54 minutes ago, Karl Grylls said:

I'm also not sure about it. I guess it will be a sandbox update and story mode will come later then (maybe August/September). Has anyone further informations?

Read the first post it says -

There will be one more Sandbox update before Story Mode launches. More details about that update will be available soon. The team continues to be hard at work, creating the best experience we can for you. We appreciate your patience while we do so.

- The Hinterland Team

6 hours ago, nicko said:

Read the first post it says -

There will be one more Sandbox update before Story Mode launches. More details about that update will be available soon. The team continues to be hard at work, creating the best experience we can for you. We appreciate your patience while we do so.

- The Hinterland Team

Oh i read it. But the post doesn't say (for me) whether the countdown is for story mode or for a sandbox update

While I agree that the Countdown could be for either the next sandbox or story mode...I find it more likely that it would be for Story Mode simply because since I've been playing we've never had a countdown for a sandbox update. Also I would not think that a sandbox update itself would be deserving enough of a countdown.

43 minutes ago, RossBondReturns said:

While I agree that the Countdown could be for either the next sandbox or story mode...I find it more likely that it would be for Story Mode simply because since I've been playing we've never had a countdown for a sandbox update. Also I would not think that a sandbox update itself would be deserving enough of a countdown.

I think the reason they are doing a countdown is because it's been so long since the last sandbox update.  If story mode was less than a month away it would be completely pointless to do a sandbox update in such a small time frame.  They probably would have just made an announcement that story mode was less than a month out.

Having said all that, I wouldn't get my hopes up for story mode to come quickly.  History tells us that no matter how much time passes or how hard the team is working, it will be a very very very very very very very very very very long time coming.

I'm still excited though.

If they want to release another update before the release of story mode, then the counter can hardly be for story mode. It's only 15 days until the couter expires, I don't think they would release story mode so shortly after the last sandbox update. It would take more than 2 weeks to do the final tuning etc after releasing the update.

On a completely different note: my wife's the best! I told her about the update and that I needed to get my computer up and running again. You know what she did yesterday while I was at work? She unpacked most of the stuff in the office, cleaned everything up and put my new Ikea office chair together! She even hooked up the internet in the office! All I have to do now is hook my computer up and wait for the update. :x

Mmmm ... the countdown for a sandbox update wouldn't make much sense imo. The website is publicly accessible. What if i where new to TLD and visit http://www.thelongdark.com/  -- would i expect some Early Access Sandbox update i probably would never have heard about? No, i would expect the release of the game. However: time is running out for another sandbox update, so i am curious, too ...

@LloydNoiseThis is actually a really good call. (Although the precise wording of their announcement might not be quite as you predict...)

It was previously announced that several new Sandbox features and mechanics would arrive alongside Story Mode. It's possible that they've changed their minds about that and decided to release a 'finished' version of sandbox (minus the Story Mode maps, of course) in advance. It would be quite a clever idea, really, because when Story Mode did arrive it would allow players to focus on the narrative of that part of the game, rather than having to learn new mechanics and gameplay functions at the same time - which otherwise might detract or distract from the intended experience.

Alternatively, that 'finished' Sandbox version could be what's arriving on the 4th of May - with the Story at some later point. [I realise they are going to continue to iterate on Sandbox over time beyond full release, but those changes will probably accompany new Chapters of the Story and be fewer and further between]

In any case, I can't see the countdown being just for a 'regular' Alpha Sandbox update. That would just be such a weird and misleading way of communicating with the community (and the press, more importantly, who are already predicting Story Mode's imminent release to the wider public).

18 hours ago, elloco999 said:

If they want to release another update before the release of story mode, then the counter can hardly be for story mode. It's only 15 days until the couter expires, I don't think they would release story mode so shortly after the last sandbox update. It would take more than 2 weeks to do the final tuning etc after releasing the update.

On a completely different note: my wife's the best! I told her about the update and that I needed to get my computer up and running again. You know what she did yesterday while I was at work? She unpacked most of the stuff in the office, cleaned everything up and put my new Ikea office chair together! She even hooked up the internet in the office! All I have to do now is hook my computer up and wait for the update. :x

Definitely a keeper

I pasted this from GELtaz YouTube page coments, it's seems someone has the wrong end of the stick and it might be me. Please Patrick, Alan, Raph, Bruce Wayne..

I think Dwerr read it wrongly. They say there will be one more sandbox update before launch alright but I don't think the sandbox update would warrant a counter, we've had lots of those. The counter seems to be portending something else..

And we're not getting story mode now anyway - only episodes 1&2 with 3 or 4 others to follow. Makes sense that they'd open the new Moose infested areas before release to give us a look and help find bugs - those will hopefully be fixed by Star Wars Day - May The 4th be with you...
But I wish they'd just say what's happening, I'm not fond of these gimmicky counters in general and disdain guessing games. I bought this gem 2 years ago, it's been a year late but I don't mind them taking more time to make it better (much much better). However a years delay does seem grounds to call for transparency at this point. So:

OI HINTERLANDS::  STORY MODE 1&2 ON MAY 4 YEAH???  SANDBOX UPDATE AHEAD OF THAT??  DO WE GET FRIED RICE WITH THAT?  

Throw me a fricken bone here Scott - and make it a Moose bone! Of course none of this would bother me if the game wasn't in the top 5 I've ever played - 1196 hrs logged so far. Hoping for many more and a new roadmap. Please Raph, I have a beard too man - I'm jonesin' dude!  And we don't have legal weed to deal with stress in Ireland!!! Have mercy on this poor sober son of Erin with his red nose and cold feet...

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Archived